Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Courtney's Guide to Etiquette

Default Re: Courtney's Guide to Etiquette

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    You better hope he doesn't actually light that fuse.
    If she were the type that felt the need chaperone a casual hang out then life is going to be hard with her from here on out. However, she may have other qualities that make this workable.

The gf has called him out for wanting to date her. The worst thing he can do is go on a date with her, as innocent as he may think he's being.
    At least one person is guaranteed to be upset about it.

If he doesn't hang out with the other girl, she might be a little disappointed, but probably less so than the gf, who's happiness should matter more anyway.

Of course, if he really wants to hang out with this girl at the risk of upsetting his gf, and the other girls persistent enough to keep at him, then something's wrong with the gf situation from the start.
    Heh.

I don't think that it's necessarily true that the girlfriend still has a problem with him hanging out with this old friend, even if she once did have an issue with it. Things change -- who knows how she feels about it now.

I think there is a fundamental problem with a romantic relationship that necessitates limiting your interactions with friends. That's a huge red flag right there.

But I also agree that if the boyfriend's priority is hanging out with his friends over making his girlfriend happy, that's also a problem.

I wouldn't want to be in either situation.

My girl knows she is the only one Im gonna give my time to. If she should be jealous of anything its my work...they get most my time...and you guys. work and the boards are kinda the same thing tho.

just dont tell her that.
    You wanna fook on me?!

I <3 your gf! she doesn't seem like the type to get jealous easily. If anything, I feel like she would be thrilled to get rid of your crazy ass for a few hours for a little peace and quiet.
    Weedeater/Black Cobra 1/17 @ Thee Parkside | Justin Timberlake @ SAP Center 1/19 | Scott H. Biram @ Rickshaw Stop 3/11 (?) |DEATH @ The Chapel 3/23 | Gary Numan @ the Fillmore 4/6 | Coachella Weekend 1 | Franz Ferdinand 4/28

So I live in a house with two girls who I am really close with, we went to high school together and have been friends since. We have a new roommate moving in on the 1st, we don't really know him and have only hung out with him once before but he seems very nice. My question is what should I do for Christmas presents? I am definitely going to get my current roommates something but should I get him something as well? I want him to feel welcome but I also don't want it to be that awkward "why did you get me a gift" thing. Should I get them all the same thing or maybe something for the house that we can all enjoy? What are your thoughts?

P.S.- You should do this for a living! I've loved reading all the responses so far, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    SHUT UP
    Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    you ever get this uneasy feeling that everyone of us on this board is actually in Hell?

Is it just horrible to show up to a wedding ceremony late? What is the protocol of slipping into the chapel after it's started? This is kind of an urgent question, I'm going to a wedding today that starts at 5, but I'm picking up my date from the train station that is ~ a 15 minute drive away at 4:36.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Ideally, you would have let the bride or groom know when you RSVPed to the original invitation, but as the situation stands, I think that you'll have to play it by ear. In my experience, weddings very rarely start exactly on time, so you may be safe. When you do slip in, do so quietly and sit at the back. Don't try to come in while the bridal party is walking down the aisle and all the guests are turned around to face the back.

In any case, showing up a couple minutes late is better than not showing up at all.

Plan B: You can always blame your dragon. "He melted my ______." Who's gonna argue?

No, don't, don't cut my hair, Ned loves my hair.

We made it with 3 minutes to spare, and then the wedding started 30 minutes late.

I hope you threw a fit and tried to seduce the groom/bride.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

I asked the waitress of our table, "At what point does this just become a free forall?" in regards to that stupid thing where each table has to go up and get their plate of food one table at a time until every table's gone up and THEN you can go get seconds.

Your first mistake was asking at all. "Oh what? We were supposed to wait our table's turn? I'm sorry for being confused. Pardon me while I go eat now, hosers!"
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I asked the waitress of our table, "At what point does this just become a free forall?" in regards to that stupid thing where each table has to go up and get their plate of food one table at a time until every table's gone up and THEN you can go get seconds.
    Ooh Buffet style. Classy.

So I received a gift from my grandparents as a unit. I also unexpectedly received a separate and very generous gift from my grandfather. Not sure what thank-you-note etiquette is. Do I send one to both of them for the thing they sent me together and a separate one to him? Do I send them each one? Do I send a very nonspecific thank-you-for-thinking-of-me one to the household and consider it sufficient to thank him over the phone?

Do you know if the gift from both of them really is from both of them, or if one person was the driving force behind it and just put two names on the card?

I'm sure she put his name on the card, but that's how they always do it. She usually handles all the gifts.

Then I would send out two cards:

One card should be specifically addressed to her, thanking her for the joint gift.

On card should be specifically addressed to him, thanking him for the joint gift and also for his separate gift, with the emphasis on the latter.

I like that. Thank you.

Pro Tip: Do not invite someone to a party and expect them to bring both a gift AND a potluck dish.

Wtf. Fail.

I have to eat prior to any in-law party. They do not start cooking until a majority of guests arrive for some reason. I once watched them take 2 hours to cook dinner while they nibbled on the meal as they cooked it. I was full just watching them.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

^heh. My girlfriend's family kinda does the same thing. And they grossly underestimate food needs. I found myself making an excuse to go out so I could grab a hot dog to eat because I was STARVING.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

I admit I am also occasionally pretty bad about estimating cooking times. I try to make sure I time things well -- but occasionally shit happens. Which is why I make sure to have lots of nibbly snacks and booze ready to go before guests arrive. I figure if you have no-cook things like cheese and crackers and olives and blanched veggies and nuts and charcuterie sitting stationed around the area, folks are going to be able to graze and not feel deprived while waiting. It's not ideal -- but it's better than having someone run out to get a hotdog!

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

i think dinner parties should ALWAYS have appetizers and not have the actual meal until an hour to an hour and a half after guests have arrived. This is a social occasion, let's be merry before we eat! Arriving with the assumption you're going to eat as soon as you get in the door makes me think you want to leave right after dinner.

Also, for dinner parties to work this way, they really should start at 5 or 6.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    i think dinner parties should ALWAYS have appetizers and not have the actual meal until an hour to an hour and a half after guests have arrived. This is a social occasion, let's be merry before we eat! Arriving with the assumption you're going to eat as soon as you get in the door makes me think you want to leave right after dinner.

Also, for dinner parties to work this way, they really should start at 5 or 6.
    I would say any more than 90 minutes and you're really pushing it. Ideally, my dinner parties go something like:

6-6:30pm - guests arrive for cocktails and appetizers
    7:30pm - move to table for main meal
    8:30pm - coffee & desert
    9:00pm - after-dinner drinks

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    I would say any more than 90 minutes and you're really pushing it. Ideally, my dinner parties go something like:

6-6:30pm - guests arrive for cocktails and appetizers
    7:30pm - move to table for main meal
    8:30pm - coffee & desert
    9:00pm - after-dinner drinks
    6:30-7:30 orgy?
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/19 Poolside@Skyway Pomona - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    I have to eat prior to any in-law party. They do not start cooking until a majority of guests arrive for some reason. I once watched them take 2 hours to cook dinner while they nibbled on the meal as they cooked it. I was full just watching them.
    Eating with my inlaws in like Chinese water torture. We are regularly summoned for meals at my wife's uncle's house. As the family patriarch it is pretty much mandatory to attend. He is expert in making it hell for me in such subtle ways that the wife & her family barely notice.
    He serves the food late too, but even worse - when it's cooked he insists that it "rest" before carving. This seems to mean sitting under the aircon until all the fat he has cooked it in starts to congeal ( does beef really benefit from being drowned in goose fat for cooking ?). He always buys a beautiful piece of meat ( brags about the fact non stop ) and then seasons the shit out of it until it is unrecognisable. They then take forever to put all the food out on the table so you sit there woozy from low blood sugar whilst the aroma tortures you further. The other dishes served will always be a dazzling array of my least favourite foods. He then tries to force said food on me - "try the asparagus you will love it " I'm 35 years old I know what I do & don't like !
    This is all only even possible if they are not serving seafood. As I am allergic I have to sit outside whilst the feast on crabs, prawns etc. If they are having a seafood feast he will make a huge deal out of getting me a steak, I am allergic ! I am not just being a picky pain in the arse !

The few times I have cracked the shits and got in my car & left I am treated as the rude one !

Well, that rant was somewhat cathartic, thanks for listening

Here is an etiquette question. I broke up with my girlfriend on thursday, I want to talk to her and see if she is ok. Do I call / text / email / leave her alone?

You ask a mutual friend and make the mutual friend promise not to tell her. Even though it may not be what you want, a clean break will make it easier for her to get over you.

Quote Originally Posted by clleadz View Post
    I want to talk to her and see if she is ok.
    What if the answer is 'no'? What's your action plan then?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.