Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Courtney's Guide to Etiquette

Default Re: Courtney's Guide to Etiquette

Gesundheit is wishing good health. This is what I use if I say something. And in many instances it is polite/expected to say something.

I used to say God Bless You when I was religious. Then I stopped being religious and said Bless You. Then someone responded to me "Yes, he did" and I found that creepy and stopped saying anything. Then that was sometimes uncomfortable and/or came off cold so I started saying Gesundheit.

If you look at the Wikipedia list of "Responses to sneezing" it seems like half of them are some variant of "to your health!" and most of the rest are variants of "God bless you".

There are various origin stories for "Bless you" but most of them seem to deal with trying to use the magic of God to fight disease which strikes me as backwards and not to be encouraged. Wishing someone good health is just as ineffective but less backwards. If you don't like German you can use Spanish "salud!" or even just English, saying Good Health! or To Your Health! or Fast Recovery!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Thanks guys. I never feel weird saying it but I wasn't sure if I should. Haha

http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/unspok...an-should-know

I wear suits about 2 times/year, but this was an interesting article for looking dapper boys.
    If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by LetThereBeLight View Post
    Thanks guys. I never feel weird saying it but I wasn't sure if I should. Haha
    I don't think you should feel weird -- it's pretty standard for even non-religious people to say bless you. I consider it the sneezing equivalent of a Christmas tree: yes, there are religious origins somewhere in there, but it's mostly secular at this point. Although as John notes above, gesundheit is a good substitute, and it's what I use as well on most occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by fiopadp7791 View Post
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/unspok...an-should-know

I wear suits about 2 times/year, but this was an interesting article for looking dapper boys.
    Yes yes yes. I hate suit looks with poorly fitting shoulders or bad sleeve lengths. And I think that's equally applicable to both men and women.

May God's magic fix you.

That's my new response to sneezing.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    I don't think you should feel weird -- it's pretty standard for even non-religious people to say bless you.
    How many atheists or otherwise nonreligious people discontinue saying "goddamn"?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i am inviting people to my graduation party at a restaurant. i am not paying for everyone's food and want people to order and pay for whatever they want off the menu.

is there a fancy term for this to put on the invitation? thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

BYOWallet

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

I don't think you should feel weird -- it's pretty standard for even non-religious people to say bless you. I consider it the sneezing equivalent of a Christmas tree: yes, there are religious origins somewhere in there, but it's mostly secular at this point. Although as John notes above, gesundheit is a good substitute, and it's what I use as well on most occasions.
    I also don't think a nonreligious person should feel weird about saying it, but it pisses me off that there are so many people out there offended when someone doesn't say it. We've abandoned all superstitious reasoning about sneezing and yet still can't acknowledge that there's nothing at all special about a reflex triggered by an irritation of the nasal passage that deserves any fucking ceremony.

If it's impolite to let a sneeze pass without comment then should be incredibly rude to let a cough go undiscussed, and perhaps still mildly uncouth to not acknowledge a fart.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i am inviting people to my graduation party at a restaurant. i am not paying for everyone's food and want people to order and pay for whatever they want off the menu.

You could say that food and drinks are available off the restaurant's menu and that the restaurant takes cash, checks and credit cards (or whatever) and let people put two and two together.

it's a small invite. i am trying to avoid a paragraph of text. is "no host" the term?

it's a small invite. i am trying to avoid a paragraph of text. is "no host" the term?
    Apparently the polite term is "Food and beverages are Dutch treat" but I've never heard this so I would bet you'd get asked what it meant.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

can i just put "closed bar, dude" with a pic of the guy from super troopers?

can i just put "closed bar, dude" with a pic of the guy from super troopers?
    I wish there was a nicer but direct way to send the message. I guess there isn't. Maybe at the bottom: *all food and drink costs are the responsibility of each attendee *
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

No, there isn't.

If you are sending out written invites, you are expected to pick up the tab.

Invitees are expected to shower you with graduation gifts, ideally, legal tender.

This is how it works.

However, if a friend is throwing this for you, he/she would not be out of line by letting the guests know that everyone is going dutch and chipping in to treat you.

What is the proper etiquette for responding to a friend who has chosen to post a photo of an open condom wrapper on Instagram?

Picture or it didn't happen.
    CHECK OUT HOW ME AND MY BORING FRIENDS EXPERIENCE COACHELLA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FL8IWFxMU

isn't this your guide?

"friend"
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/10 Britney Spears - 9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/19 Poolside@Skyway Pomona - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House

I'm trying to put together a bachelorette party. Do you tip the strippers on top of the base rate, or do the singles we throw at them sufficient?

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    do the singles we throw at them sufficient?
    Robin...
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

I meant single dollars, not single ladies.

Are the

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

What is the proper etiquette for responding to a friend who has chosen to post a photo of an open condom wrapper on Instagram?
    I think a warm, but brief, congratulatory note is appropriate. You don't want to make it seem like too big a deal because it could be misinterpreted as backhanded.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

A better option would be to not comment at all.

Quote Originally Posted by gazercmh View Post
    A better option would be to not comment at all.
    The psychologist Martin, in The psychology of humour, is quite clear that irony is where "the literal meaning is opposite to the intended"; and sarcasm is "aggressive humor that pokes fun".[14] He has the following examples: For irony he uses the statement "What a nice day" when it is raining. For sarcasm, he cites Winston Churchill, who is supposed to have said, when told by Bessie Braddock that he was drunk, "But I shall be sober in the morning, and you will still be ugly", as being sarcastic, while not saying the opposite of what is intended.

Psychology researchers Lee and Katz (1998) have addressed the issue directly. They found that ridicule is an important aspect of sarcasm, but not of verbal irony in general. By this account, sarcasm is a particular kind of personal criticism leveled against a person or group of persons that incorporates verbal irony. For example, a woman reports to her friend that rather than going to a medical doctor to treat her cancer, she has decided to see a spiritual healer instead. In response her friend says sarcastically, "Oh, brilliant, what an ingenious idea, that's really going to cure you." The friend could have also replied with any number of ironic expressions that should not be labeled as sarcasm exactly, but still have many shared elements with sarcasm.

Most instances of verbal irony are labeled by research subjects as sarcastic, suggesting that the term sarcasm is more widely used than its technical definition suggests it should be (Bryant & Fox Tree, 2002; Gibbs, 2000). Some psycholinguistic theorists (e.g., Gibbs, 2000) suggest that sarcasm ("Great idea!", "I hear they do fine work."), hyperbole ("That's the best idea I have heard in years!"), understatement ("Sure, what the hell, it's only cancer..."), rhetorical questions ("What, does your spirit have cancer?"), double entendre ("I'll bet if you do that, you'll be communing with spirits in no time...") and jocularity ("Get them to fix your bad back while you're at it.") should all be considered forms of verbal irony. The differences between these rhetorical devices (tropes) can be quite subtle and relate to typical emotional reactions of listeners, and the rhetorical goals of the speakers. Regardless of the various ways theorists categorize figurative language types, people in conversation who are attempting to interpret speaker intentions and discourse goals do not generally identify, by name, the kinds of tropes used (Leggitt & Gibbs, 2000).

"Dear Friend: Warm regards and congratulations on your recent intimate encounter. With sincerest thoughts, Courtney"

I would have added:

"Well done, friend. You have prevented an unwanted pregnancy/sexually transmitted malady."

"Beautiful plate, what's the circumference?"
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

If someone you found on Craigslist or Kijiji that is providing you with professional services rips you off, what is the etiquette on posting an ad outing them, by warning other potential clients on that website about not dealing with them because they are unethical?