Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Courtney's Guide to Etiquette

Default Re: Courtney's Guide to Etiquette

Re: Wedding Gifts

I normally give $200 as a wedding gift, but I was recently invited to a wedding that's in Pittsburgh, PA. I will have to take time off work, fly across the country, shack up in a hotel and get a rental car. I'm thinking it'll cost me about $800, not including meals. Would it be acceptable to be a bit on the cheap side for the gift, or should I just shell out the money?

get a cheap gift from the registry and call it a day. They have to know you made the trip, and should be appreciative of the fact you forked over a good amount of money to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    you can get aller-tec (generic for zyrtec) at costco for like $15-$20 for an entire year's supplies. maybe that will help too
    Yeah, I have some zyrtec, I took it last night and it helped a little, but I know you have to build up some in your system before it helps fully.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

The trip to the wedding is a gift to yourself so that you may participate in and be a witness to the joyous occasion. That said, no gift from a bridal registry is ever unacceptable, regardless of price; it is not the bride and groom's business to worry about the state of your financial affairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I just got married a few weeks ago, and we really didn't pay any attention to the relative costs of the gifts we received (especially those which came from the registry) - we were just happy to get the things we did. If you're worried that a "cheaper" gift will send the message to your friends that you don't care about them, make a card or do something else to personalize the gift.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Congratulations!
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Thanks Tom!
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    I just got married a few weeks ago, and we really didn't pay any attention to the relative costs of the gifts we received (especially those which came from the registry) - we were just happy to get the things we did.
    This.

We were also happy to see people who didn't bring/send gifts; that was certainly not on our minds day-of or anytime surrounding. We were happy to receive gifts from people who weren't able to make it. We were happy for congratulations and good wishes from people that didn't make it and didn't send gifts.

So Robin, I think it is entirely up to you. It seems to be very reasonable to give a cheaper gift than you otherwise would, especially as they would (likely) never know.
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 11-12-2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: answering actual question directly
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

True. It's not like people know what you generally give as a wedding gift.

I am currently wishing I could go back in time and befriend Robin before our wedding.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    I just got married a few weeks ago, and we really didn't pay any attention to the relative costs of the gifts we received (especially those which came from the registry) - we were just happy to get the things we did. If you're worried that a "cheaper" gift will send the message to your friends that you don't care about them, make a card or do something else to personalize the gift.
    Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    This.

We were also happy to see people who didn't bring/send gifts; that was certainly not on our minds day-of or anytime surrounding. We were happy to receive gifts from people who weren't able to make it. We were happy for congratulations and good wishes from people that didn't make it and didn't send gifts.

So Robin, I think it is entirely up to you. It seems to be very reasonable to give a cheaper gift than you otherwise would, especially as they would (likely) never know.
    Thanks, y'all! This made me feel a bit better about going "cheap-o" on him. We're not even that close of friends. I just realized that buying something off the registry will allow me to have that cost on a different billing cycle than the rest of the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    True. It's not like people know what you generally give as a wedding gift.

I am currently wishing I could go back in time and befriend Robin before our wedding.
    You can always send me a fake invitation and "cancel" the wedding after receiving my gift. I'm pretty gullible.

Scenario: Attended a funeral and about to go and meet for a meal and drinks. Is it in bad form to get drunk, if so, how much should someone drink?
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

VigoTheCarpathian

Are you Irish or Armenian ?

Mexican
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

VigoTheCarpathian

It's your call I guess. Order a shot to back your beer and see what everyones reactions are. if they blink, play it by ear, if not... Orale

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    This is the definitive thread for advice and tips on how to behave with good manners and social graces in any situation.

Want to know what to bring when your pot-smoking mother-in-law invites you to your first shared Thanksgiving? Confused on what sort of Christmas gift to give your boss that says both "I am a thoughtful and competent employee" and "give me a raise already you asshole"? Unsure of how best to phrase letters of correspondence to the soccer mom mafia who steal the only handicapped parking space at your child's school? Wondering how best to inform your FWB that although you would love to spend the night, you are currently bleeding uterine lining? Look no further.

No question is too serious or too frivolous.

I just noticed this. If this isn't a joke thread, I am going to be studying closely.
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Mexican
    This is an instant ticket to get drunk at any occasion.

Have side dishes with crusted tops been covered yet? I mean, is a strict vertical cut protocol or is a surface scoop where you get a healthy serving of toasted corn flakes and bread crumbs fine too? What if the person in front of you takes a surface cut leaving no other option?

Vertical cut is proper protocol. If the person before you takes a surface scoop, politely observe in silence while judging brutally in your head.

When in doubt: tip

I just had someone come out to replace my windshield. He came out within 2 hours of placing the call and was super awesome. I wasn't sure if this type of service warrants a tip, but I gave him a $20, anyways. Was that too much?

hahaha at Wes.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    When in doubt: tip

I just had someone come out to replace my windshield. He came out within 2 hours of placing the call and was super awesome. I wasn't sure if this type of service warrants a tip, but I gave him a $20, anyways. Was that too much?
    I don't think I would have tipped in that situation, but I don't see anything wrong with it.

When is it considered rude to tell people to "Go Fuck Yourself"?

Asking for a friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

While i can't agree with this sentiment, I've heard that it is always rude, though the rudeness can be translated into humor. Realistically, I think if you were to be saying that as a director in a film or performance art piece, then I think it is completely non-rude.

Pro-tip® I always just say it anyway and gauge its appropriateness on the reaction of the person whom it was directed.
    Wow, 12 step meetings at Coachella, who knew? SOBERCHELLA.COM

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case....

How late is too late to send a thank-you for a Christmas gift?

Next year?

def. not too late now

Abbreviations? Really? It's come to that?

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Scenario: Attended a funeral and about to go and meet for a meal and drinks. Is it in bad form to get drunk, if so, how much should someone drink?
    A few weeks ago a suicide prevention sign went up in our neighborhood and it was a point of discussion among our family. I made some comment about how with high unemployment and dwindling natural resources, people should be encouraged to kill themselves. A few days later my cousin killed himself. His funeral is in a few days and I feel very conspicuous if not necessarily guilty.

Should I go?
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

Coachella Junkie

Obvious answer.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Abbreviations? Really? It's come to that?
    prob. fraid so. ttyl.