Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SXSW 2012

Default Re: SXSW 2012

so last year the free shows at auditorium shores were the strokes and bright eyes (both coachella top acts last year)

today they announced The Shins and M. Ward.. two years in a row ima get a lil coachella preview month before..woohoo

Using the SX Scheduler, it looks as if most of the bands are scheduled to play at (or around) the same times..I hope I am able to catch at least 3-4 sets per night, but it looks like I'll be lucky if I can even do that.

A lot of the times you may have to commit to a venue if you want to see a band later. This is especially the case for fader fort, get there early or you won't make it in later. Sometimes they cut off the line completely but reopen it back later. The advantage to fader fort is free drinks. I didn't really care for the line-up Saturday last year, but my friends were going there to drink so that's what we did. Then I stumbled about 20 blocks across Austin and snuck into Trentemoller (wouldn't allow my camera in, was $15) which blew me away. That was one of the best shows I have ever seen, best electronic show for sure. Fader ends around 10 which still gives plenty of time to see a few more bands.

Shows that were almost riots after they cut off the line for non wristband people.
    MSTRKRFT 2009 I think, it was in an alley and the crowd tried to push us in, then the cops cleared out the alley with horses forcefully and stopped the show for a moment.
    Wasn't able to make it into Moby at Pure volume last year and wasted way too much time with an angry mob wanting to get in.

Usually if they cut off the line to wristband/badge only, it's time to move on.
    I go to shows and festivals.
    Photos.
    http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=174734597279
    Over 1000 youtube videos from concerts
    http://http://www.youtube.com/thefestivalninja

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

so pitchfork's showcase is seriously impressive.

8:00 p.m. Fiona Apple
    9:30 p.m. Charli XCX
    10:30 p.m. Purity Ring
    11:30 p.m. Grimes
    12:30 a.m. Nicolas Jaar

i hope that this is indicative of what we can maybe expect at their festival.

November 18 - Slayer
    November 19 - eyehategod
    December 4 - Behemoth
    January 30 - Behemoth
    February 3 - Zola Jesus
    February 6 - Sleep

How bad was it getting into the dickies and filter parties? They had some killer lineups last year.

If I can't get a ticket/the $$ for glasto, then this is my backup plan for 2013.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

Quote Originally Posted by rideincircles View Post
    A lot of the times you may have to commit to a venue if you want to see a band later. This is especially the case for fader fort, get there early or you won't make it in later. Sometimes they cut off the line completely but reopen it back later. The advantage to fader fort is free drinks. I didn't really care for the line-up Saturday last year, but my friends were going there to drink so that's what we did. Then I stumbled about 20 blocks across Austin and snuck into Trentemoller (wouldn't allow my camera in, was $15) which blew me away. That was one of the best shows I have ever seen, best electronic show for sure. Fader ends around 10 which still gives plenty of time to see a few more bands.

Shows that were almost riots after they cut off the line for non wristband people.
    MSTRKRFT 2009 I think, it was in an alley and the crowd tried to push us in, then the cops cleared out the alley with horses forcefully and stopped the show for a moment.
    Wasn't able to make it into Moby at Pure volume last year and wasted way too much time with an angry mob wanting to get in.

Usually if they cut off the line to wristband/badge only, it's time to move on.

Thanks for the info! So would it really help if you have a music badge? When you say they sometimes "cut off the line completely" is that to badge holders as well?

No usually badges never get cut off, it is for non wristband badge people as they have their own line and get priority over non wb/badge people. It's in/out for wristband badge people mostly, but i think wristband people can get cut off at stubbs though and if its insane crowds. Lines can be stupid long for exclusive parties also which badges may not get in (like Fiona Apple will be).

I didn't have an issue getting into Dickies for Asobi Seksu last year. Lustre Pearl is a little bit off the beaten path and takes a minute to get to, that's when i walked about 20 blocks in 20 minutes to catch their set. That was when i wish my bike wasn't stolen.

If I knew my bike would get stolen this year, I would still go to sxsw. I just made sure to buy a cheaper bike this time. $60 black haro bmx will be my sxsw transportation this year. I los tsome cool parts on my bike last year and I had that bike for 12 years. Note to self, get serial number written down. I didn't file a police report since it wasn't locked up and I didn't have my serial number.
    Photos.

Lines can be stupid long for exclusive parties also which badges may not get in (like Fiona Apple will be).
    Do you really think it'll be that bad? The line was SUPER long for the Pfork showcase last year with James Blake but I walked right in with my badge.
    Lollapalooza 10, 11, 12, 13; Glastonbury 13; Reading/Leeds 11, 12; ACL 05, 07, 08, 10, 13 (x2); SXSW 07, 08, 11, 12, 13; Voodoo 10; Outside Lands 11

COACHELLA 2014 Weekend 2?

No usually badges never get cut off, it is for non wristband badge people as they have their own line and get priority over non wb/badge people. It's in/out for wristband badge people mostly, but i think wristband people can get cut off at stubbs though and if its insane crowds. Lines can be stupid long for exclusive parties also which badges may not get in (like Fiona Apple will be).
    Okay, I'm super glad I purchased a badge. Although it sounds like the sxsw experience can be just as awesome without a badge, at least now I'll be able to meet my 3-4 set quota. Now I just gotta worry about the trek from venue to venue. Better look into a bike rental somewhere. Thanks again for the know.

Just don't take actual cabs since they get stuck in traffic. I usually just take the pedicabs since they save so much time. Like when I needed to get from The Strokes to the Pitchfork Showcase. Wouldn't have made it without them.
    Lollapalooza 10, 11, 12, 13; Glastonbury 13; Reading/Leeds 11, 12; ACL 05, 07, 08, 10, 13 (x2); SXSW 07, 08, 11, 12, 13; Voodoo 10; Outside Lands 11

COACHELLA 2014 Weekend 2?

Looks like the Hospital Records showcase is canceled. Can't find confirmation, but it's no longer listed. Oh well, Apparat's live band is playing Wed night at Haven w/ Blood Orange, Oberhofer, Kimbra (guest singer on Gotye & Miami Horror), and Band of Skulls. Should be a killer showcase. And the Menomena side project, Ramona Falls, is playing a free showcase at Red Eye Fly on Friday. I really dig the video/song for their first single. Album drops later in the year.

^Weird, it still shows up on AMOnly's schedule though for Hospital Showcase.

Well we need to get to the bottom of this. I have some sites earlier listing the showcase on Thur 15th at Barbarella (i.e., http://www.reverbnation.com/show/6077601). That's consistent with the AMOnly calendar. But this is the lineup for Barbarella on the 15th according to the SXSW official site: http://schedule.sxsw.com/2012/events/event_MS18451. And none of the Hospital artist are listed on the band pages. And the data is missing from Netksy and HC sits on songkick: http://www.songkick.com/artists/2884896-netsky/calendar. I was totally looking forward to this so I hope I'm wrong.

Timestretch I did find this but says TBA http://schedule.sxsw.com/2012/events/event_MS18763

Still not much on there, just hope it's still going on.

I really want to see the Hospitality tour.

This free show came out today. Rockabilly fantasy band Blackbirds w/ Wanda Jackson, Danny Harvey, Rosie Flores and Lemmy. Plus Thomas Dolby. No shit, Chet, No shit.

Guitartown/Conqueroo in conjunction with M Music & Musicians Magazine Presents Kickoff 2012
    Wednesday, March 14th, 2012, 11 a.m. - 9:30 p.m.
    The Dogwood, 715 W. 6th St., Austin TX 78701
    FREE: No wristband required!

--The Blackbirds, American Aquarium Bugaboo ( Chad Pope and Clayton Colvin), Thomas Dolby, Shurman, James McMurtry, The dB’s (original lineup: Holsapple, Stamey, Rigby & Holder), Jon Dee Graham, Ruthie Foster, The Silos, Nakia (from NBC’s The Voice), Dash Rip Rock, The Gilded Splinters, Chip Robinson, Henry Wagons, Anne McCue, Miles Zuniga (Fastball), Deadman, Steve Poltz, The Hobart Brothers and Lil’ Sis Hobart (Freedy Johnston, Susan Cowsill & Jon Dee Graham

The Australian BBQ on Sat at Maggie Maes has Sparkadia, Gold Fields, Pets with Pets, Voltaire Twins and a bunch more. This will probably conflict with the Mess with Texas show.

Sparkadia?!?!?! You gotta be fucking kidding me.

I thought no one knew about those guys, and I got into them when I was in Australia four years ago (heard their song Jealousy on a Qantas flight from Sydney to Perth LOL)

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

lolololol ICP confirmed for sxsw.

November 18 - Slayer
    November 19 - eyehategod
    December 4 - Behemoth
    January 30 - Behemoth
    February 3 - Zola Jesus
    February 6 - Sleep

Andy C Alive confirmed for SXSW

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotek View Post
    Sparkadia?!?!?! You gotta be fucking kidding me.

I thought no one knew about those guys, and I got into them when I was in Australia four years ago (heard their song Jealousy on a Qantas flight from Sydney to Perth LOL)
    That is kinda random. I just got into them recently, but got both albums. There's a lot of great Aussie/NZ bands right now. I'm starting to hone in on my schedule for the week, but still waiting for a few more announcements. What are everybody's must see bands this year? My list keeps growing.

Tons of announcements last week. Here are a few,

Shangri-La SXSW Throwdown
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:00 AM @ Shangri-La
    Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Gauntlet Hair, Nick Waterhouse, Blouse, Light Asylum, Super Humanoids, The Allah Las, No, Fidlar, Races, White Arrows, Big Scary, Writer, Black Flamingo, Daniel Ahearn & The Jones

Terrorbird / Force Field PR 5th Annual SXSW Day Party
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:00 AM @ Red 7
    inside stage: 12:15 -12:45 Mr. Gnome, 1:05-1:35 Tycho, 1:55-2:25 Teengirl Fantasy, 2:45-3:15 Young Magic, 3:35-4:05 Korallreven, 4:25-4:55 AU, 5:15-5:45 Unknown Mortal Orchestra,
    outdoor stage: 12:30-1 White Arrows, 1:20-1:50 Forest Fire, 2:10-2:40 La Sera, 3-3:30 Widowspeak, 3:50-4:20 The Fresh & Onlys, 4:40-5:10 Youth Lagoon, 5:30-6 We Were Promised Jetpacks

BROOOOSE

http://sxsw.com/node/10421

Lottery deal. Badge and wristband people only; no muggles.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

^^This is gonna be epic.

It will probably be at Stubbs. Watch out for the camera booms.

Mess With Texas is 3 days this year. No line-up yet. It was stupid packed last year and I just went to Fader.
    Photos.

Mess With Texas is 3 days this year. No line-up yet. It was stupid packed last year and I just went to Fader.
    Damn. Was not expecting 3 days. Here's another 3 day killer lineup. I'm going to try to catch Nick Waterhouse and Lee Fields on the Thursday here. Bleached, Youth Lagoon and Alabama Shakes are also playing this show that day. Then run to Club DeVille for Mikal Cronin and Trust. That would take a chunk out of my must sees this year. And that's just during the day. This is going to be an awesome week!!!!

I definitely want to catch Miike Snow somewhere this year. Not arriving until Wednesday so I can't catch the Tuesday show. Hype-M is supposed to take over Pure volume House and if thats the case it will probably be wristband and badges mostly for Miike Snow, that's where I was cutoff for Moby last year. It didn't take long for them to say no more to non wb people. I did catch Andrew WK there, but that night was very blurry and I couldn't hang until the end of the show after 4 am.

Right now I am also faced with throttling this month which is cutting into my band discovery since I won't be streaming to preserve my data for sxsw. Once they throttle me, I will be taking them to court is my plan though. I am all about making them end this practice of throttling. LAst month I used 3.8 gb's. Also, it's a really good idea to get a backup phone battery for sxsw. Phone service can suck though.
    Photos.

Drake and The Weeknd at Fader Fort

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Quote Originally Posted by PJandBompton View Post
    Drake and The Weeknd at Fader Fort
    Might have to go early and fight crowds for this. Black Hippy, Zola Jesus, and Santigold also announced.

Mess with Texas ends at 6:00, now. I'd rather have the 1 day all day show.
    Last edited by Timestretch; 02-28-2012 at 10:05 AM.

A bunch of shows announced today. Under the Radar has a killer 3 day lineup. Of Montreal playing The Sunlandic Twins album at Flamingo Cantina on Friday. Hooray for Earth, Trust, and Drums on the Wed.

Quote Originally Posted by Timestretch View Post
    A bunch of shows announced today. Under the Radar has a killer 3 day lineup. Of Montreal playing The Sunlandic Twins album at Flamingo Cantina on Friday. Hooray for Earth, Trust, and Drums on the Wed.
    That of Montreal show looks really good, especially playing Sunlandic Twins. I'm seeing them a week later in San Fran, so I'm not sure if I should use up my Friday afternoon for that. But Sunlandic Twins and Deerhoof probably makes it happen.

What website do you guys think is the easiest to navigate for all the shows? I have been checking the sxsw.com official site, which I think only does the official parties, the austin360.com which only does unofficial parties, austin2012.schedule.org which also only does unofficial parties, and the do512.com list but you have to individually click on each flyer to see the acts. Is there one site that has all the parties (official and unofficial) that is easy to navigate?

Thanks in advance.

If I were you...I'd make sure to be at this