Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SXSW 2012

Default Re: SXSW 2012

Built to Spill added??? Yayyyy!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by spinecraft View Post
    sometimes i feel like i don't have a partner

SXSW is doing a bikeshare for badgeholders this year for those of you that were talking about bringing a bike. The link on the official page is down, but hopefully it comes back up.

http://filtermagazine.com/index.php/...gram_for_2012/

This thread is helping me out a lot. Thanks for all of the info! My first SXSW, and I'm getting really excited.

Still pondering a trip over for this if I can do it reasonably cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

I have been to SxSW every year since '97. The best advice I could give would be not to look at it as a festival, It's not. Look at this as more of a conference about all things music. It's not about the free food and booze ( all I hear anymore is "omg lets go over there they have free capt morgan and tacos!!!") Yes most day and after partys have free food and booze. Consider it a bonus. A little hint on this: bring lots of dollar bills, I have learned that if you tip a dollar for every drink the bartenders notice you and usually keep the free drinks coming for you well after they have shut it down for everyone else. At a minimum, it will get you your next drink much quicker.

You can definitely do this without a badge, but as more and more people are buying badges, it's becoming increasingly difficult to get into many of the showcases. I personally think badges should be reserved for industry. Allowing the general public to buy badges has turned this into a velvet rope event.

having said that, if you search hard enough, that bands showcase you missed because it was full of badge holders will be playing a pre party and after party somewhere around town. Most bands play multiple times a day at multiple locations. The day parties usually shut down around 5 pm and showcases usually run from 8pm until around midnight, most after parties run well into the morning.

A bike is definitely the way to get around because you will more then likely be on a very tight schedule and need to get across town in a matter of minutes. If you are unable to bring your own, many shops like these two offer rentals.

For lodging, many locals leave town for this spectacle and offer up their homes for rent. I feel this is the best way to go especially if you have a large group and most hotels were booked when the fest ended last year. There are many single rooms offered for rent as well.

I know this town inside and out so if any of you need tips on what to do, where to eat, or what areas to stay let me know and I will gladly help you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Schedules are semi-posted. The bands and panels are listed, but the showcase details are not. Anyway, Azari and III on the first page is looking good!

Some of the band adds

Lana Del Rey, A$AP Rocky, Grimes, Charli XCX, Youth Lagoon, Best Coast, Chairlift, Zola Jesus, Apparat, Busdriver, Oneohtrix Point Never, Youth Lagoon, Mr. Muthafuckin eXquire, the War on Drugs, the Magnetic Fields, Matthew Dear, Bear in Heaven, the Men, Nguzunguzu, Cities Aviv, Nicolas Jaar, Purity Ring, Kreayshawn, Nite Jewel, Of Montreal, Peaking Lights, Ceremony, Busdriver, Here We Go Magic, The Ting Tings, SBTRKT, Thundercat, Built to Spill, M. Ward.
    Last edited by suprefan; 01-16-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Those are some great adds. This sounds like an awesome festival, definately going to check this out in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by disgustipated View Post
    I know this town inside and out so if any of you need tips on what to do, where to eat, or what areas to stay let me know and I will gladly help you out.
    Do you know if they are going to re-open Emos on Red River for SX? It would be nice to not have to trek over to Riverside, although I recall doing it when the Backroom was over there. That could kill a tight schedule. There are usually a few good free shows at Emos during the day too.

Quote Originally Posted by disgustipated View Post
    First time going to SXSW and first time in Austin. I'm going to be staying with a local so I'm sure he will have suggestions, but I want to know your thoughts on places to eat and things to see.

I've heard that the Salt Lick is great bbq but its like a four hour out of town excursion due to the long waits. Any thoughts on quicker bbq options?

Are there any venues that I have to see a show at, like Stubbs or Emos?

Any non-SXSW related stuff that is a must see?

Thanks in advance.

The Salt Lick is extremely over-hyped BBQ and it's not even good. The place has nice ambiance and feels like a Texas BBQ place so tourists love it. But it sucks. People like the sauce there, but sauce is only used to cover up bad BBQ. Now the Wimberly Pie Company down that way is worth the drive for the coconut cream pie. I'll be leaving directly from the airport 35 minutes S on 183 to Lockhart for Kruetz and Smittys. If you leave from the airport its not a long drive and there won't be lines other than the locals.

There are three places within Austin that have passable BBQ. Ironworks is downtown and close to everything. It will be packed for SXSW. Ruby's on Guadalupe and 29th is good although not great. But it's centrally located. There's also a chain called Rudys which is good. The moist brisket there is some of the best. When I lived in Austin this is where I would mostly go for my daily BBQ. 2 locations on the western edge of town. It was packed last year during SX. If you want really good BBQ that won't be crowded you will probably have to drive to Lockhart or go north to Louie Mueller BBQ in Taylor. That's also real great place. Elgin is a shorter drive east and has 2 BBQ places. Meyer's is popular, but it's an average place. Not worth the drive. Southside Market isn't the best, but they make a great sausage so that's where I go in Elgin.

Many of the must see stuff I would normally recommend is going to be crowded during SX or not worth missing the festival for. I love Master Pancake Theater at the Alamo, but not during SX. Chicken shit bingo on Sunday's at Ginny's gets hyped up around SX, but it's not that great. It's kind of gross watching people eat the free hot dogs. Maybe try some of the home-made liquor at Lucky's off of 6th st. They sometimes have some interesting mixes. I posted a bunch of crap about Austin in the FFF thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Timestretch View Post
    The Salt Lick is extremely over-hyped BBQ and it's not even good. The place has nice ambiance and feels like a Texas BBQ place so tourists love it. But it sucks. People like the sauce there, but sauce is only used to cover up bad BBQ. Now the Wimberly Pie Company down that way is worth the drive for the coconut cream pie. I'll be leaving directly from the airport 35 minutes S on 183 to Lockhart for Kruetz and Smittys. If you leave from the airport its not a long drive and there won't be lines other than the locals.

There are three places within Austin that have passable BBQ. Ironworks is downtown and close to everything. It will be packed for SXSW. Ruby's on Guadalupe and 29th is good although not great. But it's centrally located. There's also a chain called Rudys which is good. The moist brisket there is some of the best. When I lived in Austin this is where I would mostly go for my daily BBQ. 2 locations on the western edge of town. It was packed last year during SX. If you want really good BBQ that won't be crowded you will probably have to drive to Lockhart or go north to Louie Mueller BBQ in Taylor. That's also real great place. Elgin is a shorter drive east and has 2 BBQ places. Meyer's is popular, but it's an average place. Not worth the drive. Southside Market isn't the best, but they make a great sausage so that's where I go in Elgin.

Many of the must see stuff I would normally recommend is going to be crowded during SX or not worth missing the festival for. I love Master Pancake Theater at the Alamo, but not during SX. Chicken shit bingo on Sunday's at Ginny's gets hyped up around SX, but it's not that great. It's kind of gross watching people eat the free hot dogs. Maybe try some of the home-made liquor at Lucky's off of 6th st. They sometimes have some interesting mixes. I posted a bunch of crap about Austin in the FFF thread.
    They showed the Salt Lick on Top Chef and it looked tasty but Ill take a locals word on it. I'll check the FFF thread too. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Timestretch View Post
    Do you know if they are going to re-open Emos on Red River for SX? It would be nice to not have to trek over to Riverside, although I recall doing it when the Backroom was over there. That could kill a tight schedule. There are usually a few good free shows at Emos during the day too.
    I was wondering the same thing. I havent heard either way, but I can't see the place going unused for the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasoline Groove View Post
    First time going to SXSW and first time in Austin. I'm going to be staying with a local so I'm sure he will have suggestions, but I want to know your thoughts on places to eat and things to see.

I've heard that the Salt Lick is great bbq but its like a four hour out of town excursion due to the long waits. Any thoughts on quicker bbq options?

Are there any venues that I have to see a show at, like Stubbs or Emos?

Any non-SXSW related stuff that is a must see?

Thanks in advance.
    The Salt Lick is cool for the atmosphere. It's the quintessential Texas BBQ "experience". Massive grounds, communal tables, all-you-can-eat, and byob. Unfortunately, the bbq is passable for the most part. If you wanted to make the trip, it's only 22 miles from downtown. (If I were you I would wait until sunday or monday to go)

Iron Works is good for a quick bite. It's downtown within a block of the convention center.

I have always been a fan of Smittys in Lockhart, but for the best bbq you have ever eaten head to Franklin BBQ on east 11th. Go early or you won't get any, they normally sell out by 1 p.m. everyday so I would imagine during sxsw it might be even earlier. These guys started in a trailer two years ago.

As for venues, it's sxsw, every place is a venue for the week. Seriously. Emos usually has pretty good daytime shows. Stubbs, of course, but if you're looking for someplace different try The Enchanted Forest. It's a three acre block of un- developable land covered with trees and streams. They typically have some kick-ass after partys.

Austin is a failry outdoors-y city. Most of my favorite places involve swimming holes.

Places like Hamilton pool

and Krause Springs

are definitely worth the short drive out of town.

In town, make sure to stop by The Cathedral of Junk.

The Cathedral of Junk is a 30 foot building made of junk in the backyard of the man who built it. It's free and as long as the gate is open you are welcome to check it out.
    Last edited by disgustipated; 01-26-2012 at 07:02 PM.
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Oh man, this entire thread makes me hope that I get into UT Austin.

Those are amazing photographs. I forgot how awesome Hamilton pool is.

Anyway, it's finally up. http://www.austin360.com/music/sxsw-...2-2118417.html

Counting Crows are playing the free show at Auditorum Shores
    Last edited by Timestretch; 01-27-2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Added info

I almost forgot about the bats. The largest colony of Mexican Free-tailed bats in north america live under the congress ave bridge downtown. Every night at dusk the bats take flight for their hunt for dinner. Millions of them leave their nests under the bridge and roam downtown. You will see hundreds of people standing on the bridge to view them, but the best way to take this in, in my opinion, is to rent a kayak from one of the many kayak rentals. It will run you about $10 an hour, but you can usually find online coupons to use making it cheaper. It's an awesome way to watch the bats and view our beatiful city.

Last edited by disgustipated; 01-29-2012 at 08:01 AM.

A few free parties announced today. Good stuff on most of these.

The Hospital Records showcase is Thursday night at Barbarellas

Also,
    Shirts for a Cure @ Red 7 March 16 12:00: Hot Water Music, Braid, DYS, Darkest Hour, Comeback Kid, Coliseum, Anti-Flag, Tim Barry

Sat afternoon @ Casa Chapala Mexican Grill & Cantina. Lot's of Shoegaze bands including Ringo Deathstar, Band in Heaven, Nightmare Air

Friday afternoon @ Spiderhouse Cafe: Thee Oh Sees, Strange Boys, Kid Congo and more

Franklin's BBQ on 11th street is best in town these days, hands down. After 10 years living here and trying it all, it takes the cake.

http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/s...-america#intro
    Last edited by rAnimatorX2; 02-01-2012 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks for posting those flyers Timestrech. Keep em coming if you don't mind.

So is there any news on the possible Springsteen show? He would play a large venue right?

The full line-up for this show is not announced yet, but those Young Hines tracks are really really good. I'm not going to say Elliot Smith, but their damn good.

http://letsgetmessyevents.com/LetsGe...ts/Austin.html

Jesus and Mary Chain US tour dates include SXSW. It's probably not a show that will be easy to get into without a badge, but who knows at this point. I might go check out the Houston show.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archive...esus_mary.html

March 11 — Denton, TX, 35 Denton Festival
    March 12 — New Orleans, LA, House Of Blues
    March 13 — Houston, TX, House Of Blues
    March 14 to 17 (specific date TBA) — Austin, TX, SXSW

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

and lana del rey is out.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

You coming down for some boosh, Nathan? There's nothing going on in Waco. Except the Dr. Pepper museum.

Graham Parson's Foundation Free Event. March 14th @ Hotel San Jose. Blitzen Trapper, Brendan Benson & Eric Burdon, Cory Chisel & The Wandering Sons, Great Lake Swimmers, Alberta Cross, Poor Moon (Christian and Casey from Fleet Foxes), Jenny O., Shurman, Henry Wagons and Amy Cook.

SonicBids Party. 12 bands @ Maggie Mae’s, Friday, March 16, 11:30am – 5:30pm: ANR and Voltaire Twins announced. More to come.

Digging Trust

Last edited by Timestretch; 02-10-2012 at 01:39 PM. Reason: added showcase

pretty big get for pitchfork

http://pitchfork.com/news/45420-fion...sxsw-showcase/

SXSW is right around the corner, and we've got some big news to share regarding our official showcase. It's taking place March 15 at the Central Presbyterian Church, and will feature none other than Fiona Apple. The beloved singer-songwriter hasn't played more than a handful of shows since 2007. We're beyond excited to be hosting this performance in an intimate space that only holds about 400 people.
    Fiona will open the showcase at 8 p.m. Only SXSW badges and wristbands will be admitted. Stay tuned for details on the rest of the lineup.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 2 - Beck
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

^^Now I'm kinda glad I got a badge.

^^Yes. The church always has an amazing lineup. It's only going to get better, but Fiona is a great start.

^Best stuff hasn't been announced yet. Most bands that play a showcase will also play 2 or 3 free shows. Sacred Bones showcase has The Men, Wymond Miles, Zola Jesus, and Psychic Ills.

Jackelope March 16th has free beer w/ Tommy Stinson, Riverboat Gamblers, Peter Case and Paul Collins (from the Nerve, Plimsouls, The Beat)

popantipop free party: http://www.seanow.org/

Dan Deacon
    Mikal Cronin
    Bleached
    Trust
    DIVE
    Chad Valley
    Thursday 3/15/2012 - 12:00 PM
    Insound & Oh My Rockness Party! FREE BEER!
    Club De Ville
    900 Red River Street
    Austin, TX 78701
    (512) 457-0900

Waterloo records gave a partial list today:
    Tribes
    Foxy Shazam
    Bass Drum of Death
    Howler
    Love Inks
    Little Willies
    Icky Blossoms
    Oberhofer
    Honeyhoney
    Lucero
    Say Anything
    Talib Kweli
    Jimmy Cliff
    Of Montreal
    Howlin’ Rain
    Gary Clark Jr
    The Cult
    Strange Boys
    Last edited by Timestretch; 02-14-2012 at 11:07 AM.

i'm beyond pissed i have to miss it this year. things just didn't line up unfortunately.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 2 - Beck
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    i'm beyond pissed i have to miss it this year. things just didn't line up unfortunately.
    Lame. Lots of good shows in your sig, though!

Just got e-mailed the Dickies lineup

I was posting sxsw stuff on inforoo, but it feels like I am talking to an empty room most of the time.

Really hoping I can catch Miike Snow there without a badge this year. I didn't have issues catching Asobi Seksu at Dickies last year, but that was during the day. There is a miike snow show Tuesday night also.

Today was the best day for sxsw parties so far, quite a few came out. Erykah Badu and the Cannibinoids, DJ Jazzy Jeff, Datsik and Dan The Automater will play red bull 3style Saturday night which is a guaranteed large venue free concert on Saturday. Santigold will be playing the jansport party.

My two biggest recommendations are bring a bike, get a cheap one from a pawn shop to ride around if needed, and create a seperate email if you are going to rsvp for shows (junk mail gets ridiculous). I will be way more cautious with my bike after having mine swiped from right in front of me on my friends porch last year.

SXSW is so much fucking fun, Austin is fun. Can't wait to drink my friends homebrewed beer on his porch off 7th (he's a beer genius), and he lives about 2 blocks from cheer up charlies.
    Last edited by rideincircles; 02-14-2012 at 10:28 PM.
    I go to shows and festivals.
    Photos.
    http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=174734597279
    Over 1000 youtube videos from concerts
    http://http://www.youtube.com/thefestivalninja

Everything you said. Today had a flurry of stuff. And we haven't got Mess with Texas yet. Is the Santigold show the one at La Zona Rosa? So far I'm most excited for the Oh My Rockness party. Bleached and Trust are on my need see list and Cronin and Deacon are fun. And the Hospital records showcase.

You can try to catch Miike Snow at the end of the interactive fest at Stubbs http://mediatemple.net/sxsw/. Not sure if that will be any easier. It's with Kasabian. For the Dickies showcase, their website says you can jump ahead in line if you are wearing Dickies. Not sure if that requires everyone in your group.