Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: SXSW 2012

Default Re: SXSW 2012

Im not coming next year without a badge or a bike. I dont think I've ever walked so much in my life. After this weekend, Coachella will a feel like a walk in the park.
    Coachella Vet. 03,05,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,and 14

So whats the details on the festival? You pay like 799 for a badge and that gets you in to every single event? cut the line? or you can try for luck by paying the price at the door for every event?
    Upcoming Shows:
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields
    U2: 6/28 @ United Center

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    So whats the details on the festival? You pay like 799 for a badge and that gets you in to every single event? cut the line? or you can try for luck by paying the price at the door for every event?
    You're just about right on all of it. You get priority when it comes to getting into the bigger shows. I wanted to see Jack White and was toward the front of the line. When the badge holder line wrapped around the block, security said that none of us were getting in, it became badge only. I watched from outside with 100 others.
    Coachella Vet. 03,05,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,and 14

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post

You get priority. But that doesnt mean you will get in for sure. And the odds of you even having the ability of showing up to something and getting in straight up would be pure lunacy at this point in time for sxsw. Here would be something I woudl tell you as to not go to sxsw, you yourself wont go in there to actually discover new acts. You will go and see every single big name thats playing cause theyre going to perform to a crowd of 500 or less. So whats the point if you dont leave there with a nice list of new up and coming acts you would be willing to see again or listen to their records?
    Last edited by suprefan; 03-18-2012 at 09:06 PM.

If I understand Supre correctly, I think he is right. I never go to see the already established acts. I paid $8 for the Hospitality records showcase and $20 for the KCRW showcase. No line at either showcase. Everything else was free. Below is what I saw this year and I don't think this is a complete list. Some are established acts, but many were bands with new albums that I wanted to check out. Trust, Kimbra, Mikal Cronin, Niki and the Dove....lots of amazing stuff. $28 versus a $700+ douchebadge is a bargain. And I had a beer today with Bill Murray that was free. Of course, there were sets I didn't get to see (i.e., Of Montreal performing Sundlandic Twins), but if I see a ridiculous line I quickly move onto the next venue because there's always a dozen or more shows I want to see at the same time.

Trust
    Hooray for Earth
    Niki and the Dove
    Class Actress
    Trash Talk
    Light Asylum
    Reggie Watts
    Teengirl Fantasy
    Bleached
    Mikal Cronin
    The Spits
    Gories
    The War on Drugs
    Danny Brown
    Thee Oh Sees
    Voltaire Twins
    SBTRK
    El-P
    The Drums
    Purity Ring
    Titus Andronicus
    Jasmine Ash
    Ramona Falls
    White Arrows
    A-Trak
    Digitalism
    12th Planet
    The Young
    Japandroids
    New Build
    Andrew W.K.
    Kimbra
    Ki Theory
    Apparat
    Band of Skulls
    Blood Orange
    High Contrast
    Netsky
    Camo/Krooked

I only paid $20 for the Sarah Jaffe showcase, other than that everything was free and I spent less than $200 total for 5 days in austin staying at a friends house.

It is like a living commercial, but for the most part it's worth the trade-off.

Also, 3 days of sxsw on a bike is as much as one can handle before exhaustion kicks in.

Overall, it's so much fun and the weather was awesome. I wish I could have chosen a couple different paths like skipping the Spin party or staying at Fader all day Saturday after losing my license, but I spent a lot of time hanging out with Austin friends and had fun.

Trust was definitely my favorite stand out new act, but i ended up seeing:

Santigold 2x (Killed fader, was worn out at Stubb's)
    Sarah Jaffe
    Best coast
    Gary clark Jr
    Danny Brown
    Oberhofer
    Trust
    Fiona Apple (listened to end of her set from out side, which brings up the fact you can listen to almost any show going on at sxsw from outside if you want to see them that bad)
    Screaming Females
    2:54
    Kasabian
    Erykah Badu and The Cannabinoids
    Crystal Method dj set (meh)
    Alice Smith (good)
    SBTRKT
    Z-Trip with Nas cameo
    2 chainz
    Dan Deacon
    Big Pink
    Chairlift
    Youth Lagoon
    White Rabbits
    The Young
    Tennis
    Fanfarlo
    2:54
    Nicolas Jaar
    DJ Jazzy Jeff
    was at Fader for the special guests, but was just drinking with friends since I don't listen to Rick Ross.

Probably missing a few things, but that's most of it.
    Last edited by rideincircles; 03-22-2012 at 09:15 AM.
    I go to shows and festivals.
    Photos.
    http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=174734597279
    Over 1000 youtube videos from concerts
    http://http://www.youtube.com/thefestivalninja

Quote Originally Posted by rideincircles View Post

Also, 3 days of sxsw on a bike is as much as one can handle before exhaustion kicks in.
    Yeah, this is the truth. I was totally worn out by day three. My feet were beat by the end of the night, so thank god for the rickshaws.

I didnt get to see everything I wanted to see either due to crowds and car problems but I had a blast and did get to see some great sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Timestretch View Post
    Trust
    Hooray for Earth
    Niki and the Dove
    Class Actress
    Trash Talk
    Light Asylum
    Reggie Watts
    Teengirl Fantasy
    Bleached
    Mikal Cronin
    The Spits
    Gories
    The War on Drugs
    Danny Brown
    Thee Oh Sees
    Voltaire Twins
    SBTRK
    El-P
    The Drums
    Purity Ring
    Titus Andronicus
    Jasmine Ash
    Ramona Falls
    White Arrows
    A-Trak
    Digitalism
    12th Planet
    The Young
    Japandroids
    New Build
    Andrew W.K.
    Kimbra
    Ki Theory
    Apparat
    Band of Skulls
    Blood Orange
    High Contrast
    Netsky
    Camo/Krooked
    Damn...I'm so jealous of this. How were The Gories? I'm dying for them to make it back out west again.

I was there for only two days and saw everyone I wanted to see. I didn't bring my bike this year, which I regret. I was so tired by night two.
    The only show I paid for was the Magnetic Fields at ACL Live. $25.

Bands I saw: Fiona Apple, the Magnetic Fields, the Wedding Present, Niki and the Dove, 2:54, Talib Kweli, Jimmy Cliff, Of Montreal, Titus Andronicus, Grimes, Deerhoof, Youth Lagoon, the War on Drugs, Of Monsters and Men. It was a pretty good year.

You got into Fiona Apple without a badge?
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

the security guy at the church's back door wasn't doing his job.
    Last edited by orbit; 03-21-2012 at 11:51 AM.

My first SXSW was amazing. I purchased the music badge during the first sale price, and feel I got my money's worth. I entered into the drawing for a Springsteen ticket, AND I WON! That was definitely an experience. Although, the badge doesn't hold all the weight in the world. We never made it into La Zona Rosa, as that place had some killer lineups and was always at capacity. People were lined up during the day just to get in after the first wave of badge/wristband holders. We made it into some of the The Nike+, Vevo shows as well.

loved it again!
    was my 3rd year, always have a badge (since i go to some panels / meetings during the day)
    fiona apple at church / lil wayne at austin music hall were the best
    also loved santigold at la zona rose, grimes was so-so, loved dinosaur jr, and the others just cant remember now
    ended up somehow at 50cent show, he was horrible

So I've been hesitant on posting this in case of disappointing people, but as I mentioned in the chat earlier tonight, I was at the Warp Records showcase and was wearing my legit Aphex Twin shirt. To my shock only two people recognized and gave me props for the shirt while the rest of the attendees were absolutely clueless on it. Even this chick that looked almost like Ellen Allien had no idea what the shirt meant.

This is the shirt I wore, pretty straightfoward lol:

After this I lost faith in Austin and the state of the current generation if even attendees at a Warp Records event had no idea who Aphex Twin is, the label's biggest act next to Squarepusher, Autechre and Broadcast.

How do you know no one knew what the shirt meant? Maybe no one said anything because no one fucking cared.

I dunno about that. People comment all the time on the band shirts I wear.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

Wtf. I lost faith in a city because no one told me how cool my stupid shirt was.
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    This is being taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by Birds vs Worms View Post
    Wtf. I lost faith in a city because no one told me how cool my stupid shirt was.
    Yeah didn't know Aphex Twin was such a shitty artist to begin with.

You can go enjoy your "dirty drops" with your neon-clad frat bros at your nearest Skrillex gig.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    How do you know no one knew what the shirt meant? Maybe no one said anything because no one fucking cared.
    Uh, at a Warp Records showcase, who is perhaps the biggest artist on the roster, surely you'd expect the attendees to know the rest of the roster, dumbass.

P.S. I had people asking me what the logo meant. I expected it elsewhere but at a Warp Records showcase? It came as a surprise.

Where are you from?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    This is being taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotek View Post
    Yeah didn't know Aphex Twin was such a shitty artist to begin with.

You can go enjoy your "dirty drops" with your neon-clad frat bros at your nearest Skrillex gig.

Uh, at a Warp Records showcase, who is perhaps the biggest artist on the roster, surely you'd expect the attendees to know the rest of the roster, dumbass.

P.S. I had people asking me what the logo meant. I expected it elsewhere but at a Warp Records showcase? It came as a surprise.
    quit being a bitchy hipster. SXSW was all about big name artists, and i'm sure it was tough to get into that showcase strictly because of Aphex Twin.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena