Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuji Rock Festival 2012

Default Re: Fuji Rock Festival 2012

maybe Soundgarden or Prince will headline Saturday night

Stoked for Spiritualized as they were on my wish list, they tend to miss Perth when they tour Oz so really looking forward to seeing J Spaceman again.

I saw Spiritualized last month, so that lowers them for me just a bit in terms of priority, but yeah they'll be great. Any guesses as to where they might be slotted? It seems to me like they'd be perfectly suited to play the Green Stage before Radiohead.

I'm also excited about New Cool Collective, who I think will be a blast at the Orange Court

The Lineup page has them listed under Friday with Radiohead on Sunday or should we not take too much notice of the way bands are listed at this stage. If they are on the same day and Spiritualized are in full band electric mode (I'm assuming they will be) then definitely my pick for leading into Radiohead.

By the way Blue Stapler did they play a load of their new songs, and any thoughts on how they sounded?

So stoked about how good the lineup is this year is going to be pretty epic indeed....Denki groove are going to be so interesting to see

@Al & Mel I am pretty sure only Stone Roses and Radiohead's days are confirmed and the rest are alphabetical left to right

Quote Originally Posted by spu001 View Post
    @Al & Mel I am pretty sure only Stone Roses and Radiohead's days are confirmed and the rest are alphabetical left to right
    Oops a daisy, I've been reading it as 3 separate lists (for Fri, Sat and Sun) alphabetically from top to bottom! Thanks spu001 even though I now feel like a bit of a stooge!

No I was reading it the same and I had it pointed out to me be my 8yr old brother so I really felt like a stooge

If Denki Groove pull this kind of WTF stuff on stage it would be so epic

I shall celebrate my non-stoogeness. Although this will be my fifth Fuji, so I obviously have an unfair advantage!

Quote Originally Posted by Al & Mel View Post
    By the way Blue Stapler did they play a load of their new songs, and any thoughts on how they sounded?
    They played at least one new song that I can recall for certain. I can't remember if they played more than that, but all the songs they played were great.

spu001 - Where do you reckon Denki Groove will play? They caused a huge clusterfuck when they played the All Night Fuji in 2008, so I'm hoping it won't be a repeat of that.

Where do you reckon Denki Groove will play? They caused a huge clusterfuck when they played the All Night Fuji in 2008, so I'm hoping it won't be a repeat of that.
    Denki Groove clusterfuck still sounds alright. But I think they might end up on the Green stage on Saturday night before the 3rd headliner....whoever that will be. I am thinking the 3rd headliner will be more dance-ish...as that seems to be what they've done in previous years.....

I am thinking the 3rd headliner will be more dance-ish...as that seems to be what they've done in previous years.....
    That's certainly been the case two of the last four years -- '08 with Underworld and '11 with Chemical Brothers. For the two years in between, they had dance closers.

I did notice that the Prodigy have no conflict according to their tour page.

So is anyone else having a miserable time booking accommodation in Naeba? We've apparently left it too late, and the closest we've gotten is Echigo-Yuzawa. If it comes down to camping or Echigo-Yuzawa, I might actually lean toward camping again.

Any recommendations/ saviors would be most, most welcome....

Prodigy would be pretty cool last time I saw then I ended up with 3 broken bones So seeing them without broken bones would be cool...
    As for staying in Echigo-Yuzawa I stayed there last year and it wasn't but did miss a few bands bc of missing/waiting for shuttles and got stranded on the saturday night til dawn hahaha but it was all fun.
    My friends and I managed to hitch a ride to and from pretty successfully.

Yeah, that plus spending anywhere between 30,000-50,000 yen for the right to wait for shuttle buses, race for the last bus every night, etc. leaves me thinking I'll probably be dusting off my tent this year.

In 2009 (the last time I stayed at a hotel), we managed to book our reservation in May. Crappy room, but it had functioning baths and was within walking distance from the festival, which is all that really counts. I don't know if we just got lucky with someone canceling or it's simply because Radiohead and the Stone Roses weren't playing that year.

I assume you tried the hotels in the links I posted earlier? There's always people online who are looking for someone to share a room with, though the language barrier and the fact that you don't live in Japan could make things difficult. Maybe you can find someone from Hong Kong who is going and wants to share, I don't know. Good luck. And if things don't work out, well I guess we can hang out at the campsite.

You know, we wouldn't be having these problems if we could've had Primal Scream headlining all three nights.

We booked later than this last year, that's for sure. I think it's the Stone Roses/ Radiohead effect. Another problem is that there are five of us. I can't just slip in somewhere.

I have a Japanese friend in Japan who's been calling around, and we have a Japanese friend here in HK who's been helping out too. They've been trying those hotels to no avail. I even fired off about two dozen emails last night (couldn't call because everyone in my flat was asleep). One replied (in Japanese) that they were all full. Then I sent an email to the Fuji people today, and they replied that ALL accommodation within walking distance has been booked. I suppose I should believe them.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm going to let my friends go to EY while I rough it. I just don't see the point of waiting in lines, spending nearly two hours each day in round-trip transit, missing good bands, having to bail early each night though I may not want to, etc. There's always a hot shower waiting for me in Tokyo.

We've been having similar problems finding hotels from Taiwan. I agree EY isn't really an option if you want the full experience. last time I went to Fuji I had a slipped disc in my back and could barely walk but still camped and had a great time. Just hope it doesn't rain non-stop this year.

So a band called Preset have said they will be playing the White Stage
    http://officialpreset.tumblr.com/
    Seems to be on their facebook and twitter too

Quote Originally Posted by spu001 View Post
    So a band called Preset have said they will be playing the White Stage
    I thought this was referring to The Presets but looks like something completely different!

Splendour in the Grass are releasing their full lineup on Thursday so I'm guessing we can expect more Fuji acts announced at the same time as there is apparently more of collaboration between the two fests this year. Django Django still not announced even though they've said they're playing both.

This is PRESET: http://www.myspace.com/preset/music/...eland-26543865

Experimental/ prog/ rock/ etc. I can't hear it because the Flash on my work computer hasn't been upgraded. Never heard of them before though. A 5:10 show is fairly high-profile....

I vote we make a petition for The Presets for Fuji!!!

As for Preset very gungy/screamo sound 5.10 would make a good warm up for Refused or ATDI.

I hope the 3rd headliner is annouced with the Splendour lineup...waiting is killing me...but it is sounding like Bloc Party could be one of Splendours headliners maybe Fuji too...I hope.

Would Fuji have 3 UK headliners?

Fuji's had three UK headliners twice in the last four years. As a matter of fact, from 2008-2011 (the time I've been going), there's only been TWO non-UK headliners out of the 12 (My Bloody Valentine and Weezer).

That said, I don't think Bloc Party's going to take one of the slots. They played a late afternoon set at the Green Stage in '08. I could see them headlining one night at the White Stage, though.

My guess is that the next lineup release will happen at midnight tonight. I have no idea if it will include the third headliner, but I agree with gweilo - I really can't see Bloc Party headlining the Green Stage. Also, if they're the Saturday headliner for Splendour, that probably rules them out for Fuji.

I wasn't familiar with Preset either, but given the type of music they play and the fact that they're apparently playing the White Stage on Sunday leads me to suspect that it will be Preset --> Fucked Up --> ATDI. Fucked Up have said that they are playing the "Far East" on Sunday, and there was also a tweet from ATDI (which has since been deleted) confirming themselves for that day. So, if my assumptions are correct, and you were looking forward to seeing both Radiohead and ATDI, you've got a tough choice to make.

Damn, are you serious? If Fucked Up's going second-to-last at the White, would I even have time to watch all of Fucked Up's set and then get a decent spot for Radiohead? I'd hate missing ATDI, but I'd hate missing any of Fucked Up even more.

Then again, by Sunday, I may be happy to lounge on the hill and watch Radiohead from afar, nursing the mother of all three-day hangovers.

I don't suppose it makes any difference that Omar Rodriguez-Lopez played the White Stage with Vato Negro in 2010. Even if they moved him to, say, the Red Marquee, it would still probably be a headlining slot. And that doesn't necessarily change things for Fucked Up.

How about this possibility: ATDI in the 7:30 slot for the Green on Sunday? I know we've got Spiritualized penciled in there....

Hmm, I checked last year's set times, and it turns out that, if we're going with last year's example, the 5:10 slot is three sets before the headliner, not two as I initially thought. So maybe it'll be more like Preset --> Fucked Up --> some band --> ATDI, which should make life somewhat easier for you.

I also read somewhere that Jack White is strongly rumored for Splendour, which would mean that he can only play Fuji on Friday or Sunday. And since Sunday looks kind of filled, maybe he's the White Stage headliner for Friday? I'm already assuming that the Green Stage will go Beady Eye --> Stone Roses.

Is Beady Eye big enough for the 7:30 slot? Just asking -- I really don't know. And I'm also biased. I really hate the Gallaghers. But Jack White leading into the Stone Roses would be a killer for the average fan. And while it's even less a stylistic match, Jack White leading into Radiohead would be epic.

I just noticed I really like writing "Fucked Up". I wrote "Fucked Up" four times in that last post.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Stapler View Post
    So maybe it'll be more like Preset --> Fucked Up --> some band --> ATDI.
    The Pollstar listing for Fuji has Refused playing on Sunday so could they be that other band as they seem to fit in that sequence?

http://www.pollstar.com/resultsVenue...SearchBy=naeba

So, its not possible to purchase 1 day tickets if you live outside of Japan, right? Only 3 tickets? I'm in Seoul, and would love to come for Sunday, but not all 3 days. How would you guys suggest I go about this? Also, what kind of transportation is there available going between Tokyo and the festival before and after the festival?

Just saw Ray Davies' mug on the Japanese site....

New announcement

a flood of circle
    Annie Mac
    Cobra
    THE D.O.T
    Django Django
    Dumpstaphunk
    Ed Sheeran
    The Field
    M.Ward
    Ray Davies and Band
    Swiss Alps
    Yaem Nail

Plus there were some more written in furigana which i don't know how to read hahahha

Still no 3rd headliner but I think we will be waiting until the discounted tickets are sold