Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuji Rock Festival 2012

Default Re: Fuji Rock Festival 2012

Yes.

edit: trying to look up when, wtf. I swear theyve played before. weird
    Last edited by suprefan; 01-13-2012 at 07:00 PM.

They haven't. You may have it mixed up with Summer Sonic, which they played in 2003, or with Atoms For Peace playing Fuji Rock in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Al & Mel View Post
    Are the Hayawari early bird tickets open to overseas buyers? Wouldn't mind saving some money seeing as we're definitely going but hard to work out the details from the webites involved.
    I think you need a Japanese address. The early bird tickets are sold through one of two ticket agencies (Lawson or E Plus) and you'll be required to have an account with them, which I don't think you can do if you live outside of Japan.

Let's get some speculation going. The shows Smash promote in the months preceding Fuji usually give us some indication of which acts might play Fuji. So I'm predicting we'll get a few from the following list:

Foo Fighters (who would have to be the third headliner if they played)
    My Morning Jacket
    DJ Shadow
    Fleet Foxes
    The Album Leaf
    Kazumi Nikaido
    Jeff Lang (although he played in 2009)
    Clap Your Hands Say Yeah (ditto)
    James Blake
    Tete
    Lana Del Rey
    Beirut
    Neon Indian
    Dean Wareham

Lana Del Rey isnt going to play any festivals btw. Go watch the SNL footage from last night if you think you want to watch that.

And yeah, my bad on the summersonic/fuji thing. Weird. ( eh.... )

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Lana Del Rey isnt going to play any festivals btw. Go watch the SNL footage from last night if you think you want to watch that.
    Heh, just saw/heard it. Pretty bad. But then again, I don't think being a bad singer necessarily precludes anyone from playing Fuji...

(Plus, her Japanese performance is a one-show-only gig, which makes it even more suspicious.)

Yes, good to have the message board back.

I was going to ask the same thing about the Hayawara tix, remembering that it's typically been for Japan residents though the info this time is unclear. Not that I'm planning on being in danger of this, but do any of you think the festival's got a chance of selling out this year? I've got first-timer prospects here in Hong Kong who are curious.

Still haven't jumped on accommodation yet, which I need to do. Plane tix are already booked. And this year I've got an iPhone with What'sApp, so keeping in touch and hooking up during the festival shouldn't be an issue.

Would love to see the Foos as third headliner, just because I hear they put on a great show. The Album Leaf ... potentially interesting. It also wouldn't surprise me if M83 returned, which would be stellar. That was probably the show of the festival for me in '09.

Any thoughts on The Cure as the third headliner or unlikely to have 3 English bands headining? They recently announced a load of festival dates with nothing after 14th July and "lots more to come" according to Robert Smith. Admittedly only a European festival tour at the moment but they've played Fuji before so any others takers for fat Bob et al? I'm a big Cure fan so probably more like wishful thinking! Foos played here recently and from the reviews I read they put on a great show so wouldn't mind if they were at Fuji and probably more likely.

Gweilo, had a reply from Lodge OKA (naebaoka@ybb.ne.jp) over the weekend to say they have a vacancy if you're still looking. Don't know much about the place but they asked for 22,000 yen pp for a 4 person room for the 4 nights. I think it is fairly basic but maybe others have stayed there and can let you know what it is like.

Quote Originally Posted by gweilo View Post
    Not that I'm planning on being in danger of this, but do any of you think the festival's got a chance of selling out this year? I've got first-timer prospects here in Hong Kong who are curious.
    Hard to say. In previous years, I would have said "unlikely but possible," but that was just to avoid blame in the off chance that it did sell out - I was about 99% sure it wouldn't. This year though? Point a gun to my head and force me to make a bet, and I'd probably go with "no," but I definitely don't feel as confident saying that. I think they'd be well-advised to not procrastinate on buying tickets, because you never know.

And this year I've got an iPhone with What'sApp, so keeping in touch and hooking up during the festival shouldn't be an issue.
    Awesome. I've still got this shitty, paleolithic phone, and I'll probably still have it come July, so it'll be good to be able to get in touch this year.

Any thoughts on The Cure as the third headliner or unlikely to have 3 English bands headining?
    You might want take a look at the 2010 and 2011 lineups! I started going to Fuji in 2008, which means I missed the Cure by a year so I would love to see them but...I don't know. Another possibility which I think is very plausible is that having already spent a lot of money on the Stone Roses and Radiohead, they might choose to go cheap with the third headliner. Remember, the Saturday headliner for the previous two years have been Roxy Music and the Faces.

Beirut are out by the way. I didn't realize that they were scheduled to play Canada during that time when I posted that list. Good thing I saw them last week. Also, I forgot to include Noel Gallagher and Florence and the Machine in the list, although Noel is looking somewhat iffy now - he's doing a full-fledged Japanese tour in May, which seems a little too close to Fuji.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Stapler View Post
    You might want take a look at the 2010 and 2011 lineups!
    Ha, that'll teach me for using Wikipedia to look at lineups as 2010 and 2011 still haven't been added so didn't look at them!

I'm sure I've read in the past that The Cure aren't as expensive to book as other headliner acts so might still qualify as a cheap headliner. Love to see them again, last time was at Coachella 2009 when they had the plug pulled on them after almost 3 hours and they just kept playing, great stuff!

Radiohead will be playing this festival, along with Jisan Valley Rock Festival in South Korea.

Summer Sonic has announced their first batch of acts. I think we can cross all of the following out for Fuji:

Green Day
    Rihanna
    Sigur Ros
    New Order
    Adam Lambert
    Death Cab For Cutie
    Cardigans
    Passion Pit
    Gym Class Heroes
    Grouplove
    SBTRKT
    The Knux
    Iceage

Radiohead will be playing this festival, along with Jisan Valley Rock Festival in South Korea.
    According to their site, Stone Roses are there too.

Sigur Ros and New Order would have been nice. SBTRKT came last year, so no there was no chance of him returning anyway.

Dang, was hoping for Sigur Ros, they seem to fit with Stone Roses/Radiohead more than Green Day/Rihanna...

I'm guessing Fuji and Jisan Valley Rock Fest are going to share a lot of acts as on the same weekend. Is that what normally happens? Can't say I've heard of Jisan Valley before

Dang, was hoping for Sigur Ros, they seem to fit with Stone Roses/Radiohead more than Green Day/Rihanna...

I'm guessing Fuji and Jisan Valley Rock Fest are going to share a lot of acts as on the same weekend. Is that what normally happens? Can't say I've heard of Jisan Valley before
    Jisan valley is a smallish festival outside of Seoul, ( incheon) Its super cheap to attend, and pretty low key. Last year tickets were only about 200 bucks for the weekend, and tons of foreigners actually got free passes to promote the fest. It's only three years old I believe. Pulling in radiohead this year is a huge draw. Me thinks, they spent most of their budget bringing in Radiohead and the stone roses, so the rest of the lineup will be shit. Pretty good chance to get a good spot to see Radiohead.
    Anybody on the board, teachers in South Korea?

I went to Fuji Rock in 09. It was pretty awesome but the rain was terrible. Camping sucked compared to Coachella.

I definitely suggest getting a hotel, hitting the onsen and avoiding the curry.

The comfort of Coachella is such a treat that this ended up being pretty uncomfortable but the lineup was pretty awesome when i went and I got to meet Blue Stapler. Summer Sonic was more comfortable but not as cool of a location.

I went the same year, 2009. I agree that the rain can be brutal at this festival. I find it surprising that you liked the camping at Coach more, though.

My experience camping at Coachella involved being woken up at 6a.m. by the shearing deset heat. I thought it might just be me but then I looked around and saw that almost everyone else was stumbling out of their tents too. That heat and morning sun is a bit much to bear in a tent. Fuji Rock on the other hand because it's often overcast this is not a problem. I was dozing in until 10a.m. no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookieman908 View Post
    My experience camping at Coachella involved being woken up at 6a.m. by the shearing deset heat. I thought it might just be me but then I looked around and saw that almost everyone else was stumbling out of their tents too. That heat and morning sun is a bit much to bear in a tent. Fuji Rock on the other hand because it's often overcast this is not a problem. I was dozing in until 10a.m. no problem.
    All you have to do is buy a tarp. Problem solved.

We always camp at Coachella and haven't had a problem, as Phunkevil said a tarp can make a difference if you can create a bit of extra morning shade. Camping in the rain at Fuji Rock on the other hand doesn't sound like fun so we've sorted accomodation...

It sounds like you definitely get wet at Fuji, from past experiences what are the weather conditions like? Does it rain constantly or just an occasional shower?

The weather was excellent in 2008. After that, it's been fairly miserable for three years running, so one would hope that we're due for some good weather, but that Naeba sky is one fickle bitch. Even if you're banking on the weather being pleasant (but really, you shouldn't), you'll probably still experience bursts of rain here and there, so I'd say that decent rain gear is pretty mandatory.

And having experienced both the camping and hotel options, I can attest to the fact that having a proper futon to sleep in makes a world of difference, especially if you want to enjoy the late night festivities at the Palace of Wonder and the Red Marquee. That said, since I'm not really high-salaried and somewhat of a cheapskate (except when it comes to Fuji Rock food), I'll be lugging a tent with me to Naeba.

Sigur Ros and New Order would've been very nice of course, and many of my friends have been bitching about Sigur Ros in particular. I'll wait to see who else they announce, but I'm strongly considering doing Summer Sonic this year. They also mentioned something about how it's going to be fun, fun, fun, so there's been a lot of speculation about a possible Beach Boys appearance. It could also be Rebecca Black though.

As to Jisan, yeah, they usually share a headliner or two, and a number of other international acts as well. But like information said, they're much smaller, and Fuji will end up having a much better overall lineup unless Jisan really gears things up this year - Radiohead and the Roses are a good start. And I do remember being jealous that they got Pet Shop Boys one year. There's also quite a bit of crossover between Fuji and Splendour in the Grass, an Australian festival who always get a lot of acts that make us Fuji Rockers jealous (though I'm sure the feeling is mutual). But anyway, it's usually Fuji providing clues for Jisan and Splendour, not the other way around.

The rain at Fuji can be pleasant overnight or in the morning when you're trying to sleep. If it's not raining, I've always found it too hot to lie in late. We've always gone near the top of the campsite, behind a tall pine ridge, and it's still never been cool enough for me sleep much past 7 or 7:30. The tent just becomes a sauna.

And Stapler's right -- the last three years have been miserably wet. In 2008 it rained half of Sunday and that was pretty much it. I might have to finally break down and get wellies. Besides the mud, they might actually keep me from getting another nasty tick bite this year.

I stayed in a lodge with an onsen for the first time last year, and it was expensive but worth it. I slept much better, and I was able to freshen up and get a decent breakfast, so I felt much more human each morning than in years past. When we camped between 2008 and 2009, we used to sneak up the back way to the Dragondola station and use the hose around the side of the building (plus the nice bidet toilets). That was OK. But then in 2010, we encountered this nazi gaijin staffer who threatened to kick us out of the festival. So we had to start taking a 30-minute detour by walking over to the festival, buying a Dragondola ticket, walking up the hill to the station and THEN hosing off. On the plus side, we went ahead and rode to Guitar Panda land a couple of times that weekend, which we don't normally do.

Splendour's already gone on record as saying they've got neither Radiohead nor the SR. There were a lot of disappointed Aussies after those tweets.

Looks like Splendour in the Grass (same weekend as Fuji Rock and Jisan Valley) are downsizing so I don't think there will be many big acts being shared:

"Splendour in the Grass promoter Jessica Ducrou has revealed that the move from Woodfordia to Belongil Field rules out the possibility of acts as big as Kanye or Coldplay headlining the festival in 2012.

In an interview with Noise11, Ducrou has explained that moving from Woodford to Belongil Field the venue is smaller. 17,500 is what we run at there. (The capacity at Woodfordia was 32000.) That obviously effects how much you can spend on your talent."
    Last edited by Al & Mel; 02-12-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gweilo View Post
    the last three years have been miserably wet
    I think I've gone on holiday by mistake...

old school

Summer Sonic has announced their first batch of acts. I think we can cross all of the following out for Fuji:

Green Day
    Rihanna
    Sigur Ros
    New Order
    Adam Lambert
    Death Cab For Cutie
    Cardigans
    Passion Pit
    Gym Class Heroes
    Grouplove
    SBTRKT
    The Knux
    Iceage
    New album from Green Day in the next 6 months?

Does anyone have any experience with leaving Fuji Rock by train on the Monday the fest finishes? Current plan has us flying out of Narita at 5:30pm on Monday 30th July but now worried there will be long queues for the bus to Echigo Yuzawa and then the train back to Tokyo. I'm hoping the majority of people drive and there won't be long delays but now not so sure. And can you pre-book train tickets or do you just have to try your luck?

Eh, I didn't get the early bird tickets. FML.

Al & Mel - I always arrive by train but go home by car, but the queue for the bus on Monday morning has always struck me as being ridiculously long. That said, I doubt you'll have any problems getting to Narita by 5PM barring some freaky train accident/malfunctions. Be sure to take the bullet train though.

That said, I doubt you'll have any problems getting to Narita by 5PM barring some freaky train accident/malfunctions.
    Oops, forgot to mention that it is an international flight so need to be at Narita a couple of hours before. I think we should be OK as long as we're up and out of there reasonably early so might need to make sure I'm not too hungover that morning!

Yeah, you should be fine. I don't really think you'll need to reserve seats either, especially when you can't be sure what time you'll arrive at Echigo Yuazawa station.

Lurker

Youíll be fine. The first year we got to the bus around 8am to leave and the line was long but we were on the bus within 15 minutes. Last year we got down there around 8am again and the line was about 3 times longer than the previous year so we freaked out thinking we might have to catch a taxi or something (we had pre-purchased tickets for the bullet train). Anyway we got in line and it moved so quickly. I donít think we waited longer than half an hour. It typical Fuji fashion, everything runs really smoothly. I would recommend booking a bullet train ticket in advance so you donít have to queue up for one when you get back to the station.

After seeing The Chemical Brothers: Don't Think I really want to attend this festival. I've always wanted to go to Japan so I think my g/f and I may try to kill two birds with one stone. Shooting for Fuji Rock 2013.

I haven't seen that movie, but I've seen the trailer, and was pissed off anew by the fact that I had to miss the Chemical Brothers due to them conflicting with Wilco last year...

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    After seeing The Chemical Brothers: Don't Think I really want to attend this festival
    I just want to dance with the Japanesesese now
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.