Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Fuji Rock Festival 2012

Default Re: Fuji Rock Festival 2012

I can't tell if they really mean pounds or dollars since the article switches between the two, but anyway....

Fuji offered Faces $500,000 when the other gig they were scheduled to play had them secured for only $75,000? (Obviously they weren't really that tightly secured, but still.) I'm assuming the London date didn't promise exposure to 40,000 people, but even if it did, did Smash seriously need to fork over more than six times as much to lure a bunch of washed-up has-beens to Japan?

Without knowing a whole lot about organizing concerts, it seems to me that Smash grossly overpaid (besides the obvious fact that Faces haven't been relevant in years and, I assume, have minimal crossover with Fuji's fan base). Makes me wonder what other bands have been ripping them off.

I'm looking at last year's lineup, and kind of wish they'd poached the Pogues and Buzzcocks instead. As for the Faces, I think Hidaka just really, really likes them.

Although this article did make me wonder - does Smash have grounds for suing QOTSA? Not that I think it's a good idea for them to do so even if they could.

We'll never be privy to the contracts, will we? But as much of a QOTSA fan as I am, I did find it strange that they were able to dump Fuji for another show with impunity....

This had been rumored for some time:

http://cloudnothings.tumblr.com/tour

They'd be adding to an already clogged Sat for me, but it looks like there are early slots for them at the Green and White.

I think the Green Stage slots are all filled (notice the lack of "...and more" at the bottom of the Green Stage column). My guess is, one more act on the White Stage on Saturday (which presumably will be Cloud Nothings), one more each at the Gypsy Avalon and up top at Day Dreaming, also on Saturday, and all the Rookie a Go-Go bands, and we're done.

Anyway, set times have yet to be announced, but someone posted this on 2ch. Make of it what you will.

http://www.fujirockfestival.com/arti...table/tt29.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Stapler View Post
    This had been rumored for some time:

http://cloudnothings.tumblr.com/tour
    well chuffed with this....i been rocking out to these guys all year.

Set times were announced last night. It looks like they're trying to make up for the fewer-than-usual number of bands by giving some of them longer sets than is customary.

Cool sched.

Although Justice on the White Stage will be uncomfortably rammed won't it?

Lurker

Quite pleased with the timetable. I was worried about clashes but it’s not that bad at all (if I can run quick between stages!)
    Can’t wait to get back to Fuji. Counting down the days now : )

Yeah, I can see the White Stage being packed for Justice after Noel Gallagher's set is done. I'm planning on seeing Buddy Guy at Orange, so I hope I don't get caught up in the traffic of all the people heading from Green to White on my way back.

I don't intend to stop bitching about not being able to see Yael Naim, but other than that things worked out fairly nicely for me too. A few more that I regret missing, but I can live with that. There's something to be said about the lineup not being too loaded.

You guys wanna share what your schedule will be like during the weekend? Here's mine:

Friday
    Mouse on the Keys --> Django Django --> Humbert Humbert --> Tha Blue Herb --> Ernest Ranglin --> Gossip --> The Stone Roses --> Lindigo --> Bir Khalsa Dal --> Onda Vaga --> The Field

Saturday
    Seun Kuti --> Mono --> The Heartbreaks --> Ray Davies --> Caribou --> The Specials --> Buddy Guy --> Kinoco Hotel --> Tam Tam --> The Trojans

Sunday
    Hikashu --> Zaza Fournier --> New Cool Collective --> Yosui Inoue --> Jack White --> Explosions in the Sky --> Costello --> Radiohead --> Kensington Hillbillies --> Katteni Shiyagare --> Big Willie's Burlesque

Since I'm staying at a hotel this year, I expect I'll be able to stay up later compared to the years I camped. That being said, I have a feeling that I'll be ready to go to bed by 2AM, so I'm not too optimistic about the odds of me seeing the Field (or, at least, the odds of me being awake enough to actually enjoy the set).

On Saturday, I didn't like the Heartbreaks in the least bit when I listened to their songs on YouTube, but they fit so nicely into my schedule between Mono and Ray Davies, I thought what the hell. Also, since I saw Seun Kuti last October, I might opt to take the Dragondola instead. I should be able to get back in time for Mono. And I'm not a big fan of doing Green --> White --> Green with absolutely zero downtime, so I might have to skip Caribou.

Haven't really mapped out a proper daily schedule yet but it will tentatively revolve around this but happy for suggestions:

Fri - Django Django -> The Gossip -> Stone Roses (The Field, being optimistic here as first night so might just make it!)

Sat - Mono -> Caribou -> Spiritualized -> Justice

Sun - Toe -> Jack White -> Explosions -> Shins -> Radiohead

Plenty of gaps there and a few more on my "keen to check out" list but it's a start! I've got a feeling we'll end up dropping The Shins due to time/distance constraints and catching a bit of Elvis and settling in for Radiohead instead. Blue Stapler, I added Toe to my list after watching that YouTube clip you posted but not sure how well they're suited to mid afternoon on the big stage.

By the way anyone got any idea on what they have in store for Thursday night and what time things kick off? We're planning on getting to Naeba mid-afternoon and then exploring. Also, anyone used walkie talkies before? We're thinking of trying to pick some up in Tokyo when we get there as thought it might be a good idea for our group to keep in touch as no doubt Mel and my mate will want to see other bands, and we don't really want to deal with international roaming rates on our phones...

Read some reviews of the Stone Roses gigs last weekend and were all fairly positive. Ian Brown still can't sing (hardly a surprise) but John Squire, Mani and Reni were all in top form. Not sure if they're back to being best of friends after reading this in a Guardian review, might see some tantrums after all!

"When reviewing Blur at Glastonbury three years ago I wrote about what made it so special: "This isn't about music or even nostalgia. It's about friendship – and the truly heartwarming sight of two best friends throwing aside their differences and starting afresh." Whether this is the case with the Roses isn't quite so clear, as might be expected when one of the warm-up shows involved the singer informing the crowd that "the drummer's a c*nt". There were backslaps and smiles, of course, and no signs that anything was likely to implode. But their stage presence was low-key considering the enormity of the event and the band didn't always seem completely at ease with each other. At the finale of the first night Ian Brown reached out for a hug with John Squire – a crowning image – but the guitarist grabbed Reni as well turning it into an awkward stretched embrace."

MONO with The Holy Ground Orchestra

fuck
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

James Blake almost clashes with himself on that schedule.....he's headlining the white stage friday night then has to get to the Red Marquee for a DJ set.

What're reckon the chances are of Liam doing a cameo during I am the Restitution?

I probably should've posted this earlier - here's a neat little site to help you plan your schedule. Click on "タイムテーブルを保存" near the top right corner to save and get a URL. Mine would look like this.

Blue Stapler, I added Toe to my list after watching that YouTube clip you posted but not sure how well they're suited to mid afternoon on the big stage.
    FWIW, I saw them play a similar time slot at the White Stage in 2010, and didn't feel they were overwhelmed by the size of the venue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5QQ3Ab8H0o

As for suggestions, I'd recommend going beyond Green, White, and Red. You're really missing out if you restrict yourself to those three stages, IMHO. The vibe (and food) at the Field of Heaven is wonderful, and I've seen a lot of fantastic shows at the Orange Court as well. Plus, there's a whole area beyond the Orange Court that's fun to chill out at (and I always try to catch a show or two at the Cafe de Paris every year). The other smaller stages have their charms as well, and don't forget to check out the Palace of Wonder at night!

Also, since you don't seem to have anything planned on Saturday until Mono, why not take a ride on the Dragondola? (You should be aware though that the ride isn't free.)

By the way anyone got any idea on what they have in store for Thursday night and what time things kick off?
    You won't be able to get in the venue (which will be limited to the Red Marquee, Oasis, and the World Restaurant on Thursday) until 6PM, IIRC. They'll have the Naeba Ondo dance, an eating contest, fireworks display, and secret shows at the Red Marquee starting at 8 (I think?) - although for me personally, the pre-fest is a time to catch up with friends that I only meet at Fuji (and some other music festivals).

I've never seen anyone use a walkie-talkie at Fuji. You'll probably be better-served by getting advice from someone who doesn't live in Japan, but maybe you can rent a cell phone from you hotel for the duration of your Japanese stay?

seanbear - Is Liam known for doing "I Am The Resurrection?" It's not like he'd be ruining a song that Ian can sing so wonderfully, so I wouldn't mind, as long as they do play it. And, hopefully, "This Is The One" (which happens to be my favorite Roses song but I'm not sure if it's regular feature of their set) as well.

Thanks for the link, I was really hoping there would be a schedule somewhere that listed the stages for each day side by side rather than a long list, makes life a bit easier.

As for suggestions, I'd recommend going beyond Green, White, and Red. You're really missing out if you restrict yourself to those three stages, IMHO.
    That's cool, I've tried to leave lots of gaps in my plan to give us plenty of time to explore the rest of the fest. Being our first time we want to make sure we try and experience everything over the weekend, including the Dragondola. By the way is there a peak time to avoid the Dragondola when the queues are longer? I'm guessing sunset might be popular, although sounds like there will be a lot of cloud!

Quote Originally Posted by Al & Mel View Post
    By the way is there a peak time to avoid the Dragondola when the queues are longer? I'm guessing sunset might be popular, although sounds like there will be a lot of cloud!
    I actually haven't done the Dragondola in a long time, so I can't really say. It ends at like 3 or 4 PM IIRC, so you'll need to get it in during the morning or the early afternoon. Also, it's been known to go out of service when the weather is really bad.

gweilo - Your link doesn't seem to be working? If you click on "タイムテーブルを保存" there will be a pop-up with an URL, which you can copy & paste. Speaking of the timetable, they've stealthily flipped the order of Mouse on the Keys and Mimi Maura at the Orange Court on Friday. So I guess I'll be seeing Mimi Maura first thing in the morning instead, and no MotK for me (not a big loss, as I've seen them a number of times before).

There's an interview up on fujirockers.org with the guy who runs the Queen Sheeba restaurant. He's also in charge of the whole World Restaurant area (I had no idea), so it gives us a nice overview of what the WR will look like this year. I was devastated, utterly devastated, to learn that the Chinese rice porridge joint will not be making a return. That is such sad news. Instead we'll get pancakes and a Mexican joint.
    Last edited by Blue Stapler; 07-09-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Yeah, I didn't save it right. Here it is again: http://www.onyou.jp/tametebo/ttb_f.p...m=34&sh=052919.

I'll have to choose between Seun Kuti and Cloud Nothings on the Sat, and Alt-j and Chthonic on the Sun.
    Last edited by gweilo; 07-10-2012 at 12:39 AM.

I trust that everyone who's planning on going have already secured their tickets? They just put up a notice on the website saying that three-day passes and the Sunday passes are close to selling out.

Edit: Oh, and they just announced the film lineup too. I guess it shouldn't be surprising that one of them is Don't Think, the Chemical Brothers' movie. It'll be a good way to relive their set last year. Of course, I didn't see the Chems because they conflicted with Wilco...
    Last edited by Blue Stapler; 07-12-2012 at 07:23 PM.

They just put up a notice on the website saying that three-day passes and the Sunday passes are close to selling out.
    Looking at the festival's history the most they've had was 131,000 in 2006, anyone know what the capacity is? Kind of makes me worried that queues this year are going to be bad, especially trying to leave on the Monday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Al & Mel View Post
    Looking at the festival's history the most they've had was 131,000 in 2006, anyone know what the capacity is? Kind of makes me worried that queues this year are going to be bad, especially trying to leave on the Monday morning.
    That's over all 3 days so its hard to know I guess. So long as the beer queues aren't too bad I'll be happy.

I think 2006 was the last time that Fuji sold out, so somewhere in the same vicinity? I'm actually kind of terrified of how this will affect the experience. And it's also one of the reasons that I decided to do the Naeba Prince, despite their exorbitant prices.

Quick question....is there free wifi at Fuji? Need to check my emails at some point but my mobile won't roam in Japan.

I'm not aware of free wi-fi. There is an internet area at the Oasis, as you walk in and to the right, near the first aid station. You may just have to wait a bit for a computer.

Heading off to this next week, going over on my own (from UK). I got a camping ticket, but some Japanese-speaking friends managed to get me booked into a dorm in a hotel near the Police Station in town so seems quite walkable.

Am sort of in two minds whether to camp or hotel it now.

I've not been to Fuji Rock before and don't want to miss out on too much - is there any pluses to camping? Do you feel more 'part of it' if you're on-site all the time? Or is the town overrun by festival-goers anyway so the atmosphere spills out? Is the town quite welcoming?

[Apols for such an airy-fairy question, just wondering if I'll miss out by being in a hotel...]

Yaay, Japan next week!

I don't think you're missing much. There's a campers-only area (the Pyramid Garden) that's far removed from all the other stages, and obviously it's much cheaper.

But if money isn't an issue for you, and you don't have a problem with missing any of the Pyramid Garden acts (some of who will play sets at other stages anyway), then I can't think of a good reason for you to choose camping over hotel, provided that the hotel is reasonably close to the festival site. Of course, if it's in Echigo Yuzawa then that's a whole different story. And yes, the town will most definitely be overrun by Fuji Rockers.

Exactly a week from now, I imagine that I'll be eating something at the Gypsy Avalon area, waiting for the Gossip.

Oh, and the 3-day passes and the ticket for Sunday have officially sold out. The prices they're going for at Internet auction sites are just ridiculous.

You're not gonna miss much at a hotel except the pleasure of waking up in a tent sauna at 7am. We camped for three years and had a fine time. But staying at a hotel last year meant a much more comfortable sleep and a little more energy the next day. Of course, it's much more expensive, though I don't know how much you're paying for your dorm near Naeba's finest.

The campsite is still a 10-minute walk from the festival, so it's not like you'd be surrounded by that atmosphere all the time. We never found ourselves partying with our tent neighbors, though I'm sure some people do. And I wouldn't really say the festival atmosphere spills out into the town all that much either. You'll see lots of people walking around, of course, but the streets nearby are lined with lodges and little else -- there are no bars or restaurants except for those inside the lodges, a few snack kiosks, and that's about it. I walked back to my room at around 1am or 2am on average every night and the streets were pretty much dead quiet.

But once you're in the front entrance ... man.

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

Hotel is about 10 mins walk from the entrance as far as I can tell, so seems like relative comfort of a dorm room wins!
    Is 6000Y a night for the dorm (50GBP). Real struggle to get somewhere even months ago - had to rely on friends in Japan who've been before to do the calling etc., my Japanese is too weak.

Re: Pyramid Garden, thanks for that bit of info, I'll wear my camping wristband then as I have one of those, bought ticket+camping thinking there would be a few of us...

Cheers. Exciting!!
    Last edited by stillill; 07-20-2012 at 03:37 AM.

I was wondering when they'd post this. The food lineup is up on fujirockers.org. Click on the name of each area to get a rundown (it's entirely in Japanese, but the pictures at least should give you some idea).

The grilled tuna collar I had last year was absolutely the best meal I ever ate at Fuji Rock. I'm gutted that I won't get to eat it this year. I love their description of the hamburger joint at the Oasis area though:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxFUCKIN' YUMMYxxxxxxxxxxx HAMBURGER!!xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    And I'm still not sure what to make of the bowling alley they'll have at the Cafe de Paris...