Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Fuji Rock Festival 2012

Default Re: Fuji Rock Festival 2012

The Very Best are on my list of acts to see. I wasn't aware of their existence before they were announced for Fuji, but I checked them out on YouTube after the announcement and liked what I heard.

The tough clashes for me are Yosui Inoue/Yael Naim and Elvis Costello/New Cool Collective. I'm really hoping that Yael Naim and NCC will do another set at a smaller stage (perhaps Yael Naim at Gypsy Avalon, and NCC at Crystal Palace) so that I'll have a chance to see them.

oh.kamikaze - I don't think there are any rules against bringing alcohol into the campsite. No bag searches at the entrance, as far as I can recall. They do search your bag when you enter the festival venue, but I'm not even sure if they're searching for alcohol or just glass bottles (which are definitely banned). As for pot, I've never sought it out so I can't help you there, but I've seen (or rather, smelled) people smoking it plenty of times so I don't imagine it's too difficult. I don't know whether they procure them at the festival or get them elsewhere and smuggle them in. Try to be a little discreet though - Japan isn't very lenient when it comes to pot!

Edit: Or, what spu001 just said...

I'm wondering whether my Sunday plan of Explosions -> Jack White -> Shins -> Radiohead might be a bit ambitious...
    My guess:
    Jack White -- 6pm at Green
    Explosions -- 7pm at White
    Shins -- 8:30 at Red
    Radiohead -- 9:30 at Green

That would be ambitious but doable, assuming it's OK that you miss 10-15 minutes of a couple of shows. Substitute Fucked Up for Jack White and this is pretty much what I'm thinking, though I'm only giving about 20 minutes to the Shins (if that).

You guys do realize that you can see Noel Gallagher after Spiritualized, right?
    After Spiritualized, I'll likely either chill out or catch Buddy Guy. But that's a long damn walk.

Anyone know how easy it is to bring alcohol into the camping grounds? Easy as a couple bottles in your luggage on the way in or do they search bags? Also, any comments / suggestions re: pot at Fuji? Easy / hard to find?
    We bring vodka in water bottles into the festival every year. Last year one of our friends had a flask of whisky with him.

As for pot, I don't think I've ever even smelled it!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Stapler View Post
    . Try to be a little discreet though - Japan isn't very lenient when it comes to pot!
    This is good advice, I did the typical study abroad deal in Japan and Law as my major I took a Japanese domestic law class. penalties for being caught in Japan are high and police do have the right to arrest you for probable cause to purchase...Nobody has ever been sentenced because they were going to buy but there are plenty of cases where people had to spend the night in a police box.

This is all great advice for Fuji/Japan novices like ourselves!

While we're on the subject are there any shops in Naeba itself or should we make sure we've got our supplies before we get there? I found a map that shows shops, restaurants, etc in the town but I'm guessing most are only open for the ski season.

Also, is booze (I'm thinking bottles of vodka for ease of sneaking) readily available in supermarkets or only available in designated booze shops like here? We'll be in Tokyo for a full week beforehand so I'm sure I can work it out when we get there but nice to know what I'm dealing with beforehand!

Booze is plenty easy and cheap (compared to AUS) to get. It is in supermarkets, convenience stores and just about anywhere. It is about 1000-200yen a bottle. Also a beer inside Fuji only costs around 500-600yen compared to $10-$12 at AUS festivals. If you buy spirits in the festival be friendly with the bar person and don't be shy to tell them to put more in, the standard shot in Japan isn't the same as AUS, but most of the bartenders don't have a problem putting more in if your not a jerk about it.

Last time I went I took my supplies with me thinking places around the area would be sold out. Surprisingly they weren't, but I was in a B&B in EY.

Food inside is of a real good quality and not too steep 500-1000ish yen. So this year camping I think I will take some supplies but just eat festival food for my main meals.

As for camping equipment my friend said there is a convenience store near the entrance that sell things you may have forgot.

Coming from AUS I recommend you bring Aeroguard Japanese insect repellent is piss weak and hard to find...I forgot insect repellent and found 2 tics on my ankles.

I guess all in all I would advise you have everything you want before you go, but if you forget something don't panic.

Thanks for all the tips on alcohol. I was actually kind of worried about even alcohol in Japan as I'm only 19 and won't be 20 yet while I'm over there. I know the legal buying age for alcohol is 20 in Japan but surely if it's sold in all places as convenience stores and small shops it won't be hard to get some without being checked. I'm coming from Aus too with my girlfriend and we'll too be in Tokyo for 2 weeks before the fest (Al & Mel). Cheers for the tips on pot as well. Obviously I'm not dumb enough to try bringing any over from Aust and I've also read all kinds of serious punishments involved in getting caught doing anything drug related on the Smart Traveller website. I'll probably end up sussing it out around Tokyo, if not trying to find someone friendly at Fuji.

Thanks for your tips too spu001. I'm just worried about what I can actually take to the festival to eat. I'll eat just about anything but I won't really have the resources to take anything cold or perishable as I won't have any dry ice or even ice blocks handy, let alone an esky. Travelling from Aus, we're trying to travel as light as possible to allow for the weight of the tent and everything else camping related in our luggage limits. I guess we'll just end up buying a couple of big bags of fruit and vege before we go in and fill the gaps with food from inside the festival, as you said you might do entirely this year, spu001.

I've read warning for ensuring everyone bring insect repellents to Fuji on just about every Fuji related site. I also read about not wearing sweet or citrus scented colognes or perfumes as they can attract wild bees and flies with nasty stings. I guess it's more aimed at women's perfumes than mens' but all the same, just a word of warning if anyone didn't know already.

Quote Originally Posted by oh.kamikaze View Post
    I guess we'll just end up buying a couple of big bags of fruit and vege before we go in and fill the gaps with food from inside the festival
    A couple bags of fruit and veg in Japan will probably cost you more than your Fuji ticket...that shit is so expensive.

oh.kamikaze being 19 it will be easy for you to get booze and I have never saw bars in the festival ask for I.D, If you plan to hit up some clubs in Tokyo though you might wanna borrow somebodies I.D while your here. Doesn't have to be a licence just something with a photo and DOB, doesn't even need to look like you. My friend was 19 when I was there last and he used his father's who was 51 gray and balding and nobody ever questioned it.

Also if you are trying to save on luggage weight I am pretty sure I read on the Fuji site that they do a courier service. Don't know too much about how that works though

Well I guess I'll just work out the food situation once I'm over there and see if it's going to be doable or not. Thanks for all the tips though. I'll probably end up checking out that 420 shop in Harajuku as well, if it's all I can find anyway. I might borrow someone's ID as well. That's funny as about using his dad's ID.
    I did also see that courier service advertised but only managed to find information for people living in Japan, looking to post to and from Fuji within Japan. I've organised a 3kg tent so I should be alright for weight.
    Anyone have any tips for camping at the festival? I've heard a lot about rain and mud. I've got boots and I'll be taking a lot of plastic bags. Is a ground sheet / tarp or something a good idea as well?

Sunday became a bit more interesting...

http://pitchfork.com/news/46796-radi...collaboration/

I've read warning for ensuring everyone bring insect repellents to Fuji on just about every Fuji related site.
    I would recommend it. I've gotten tick bites three years running, and those can turn nasty. If you do get bitten, get to a first aid station ASAP.

Is a ground sheet / tarp or something a good idea as well?
    I would recommend it. Get a tarp and make sure your tent's been treated with seam sealant, and you shouldn't have any problems with leakage.

I brought inspect repellent with me the first year I went to Fuji. Didn't use it, didn't have a problem, and haven't bothered since. Should I be offended that the bugs don't find me tasty?

Quote Originally Posted by Al & Mel View Post
    While we're on the subject are there any shops in Naeba itself or should we make sure we've got our supplies before we get there? I found a map that shows shops, restaurants, etc in the town but I'm guessing most are only open for the ski season.
    Like spu001 said, there is a store outside the venue/campsite where you can buy knicks and knacks (batteries, toothbrushes etc.). Everything is horribly overpriced though, so you'd do well to have all your stuff in advance. I also wouldn't count on the store having things like tents and sleeping bags. But who would be dumb enough to forget those, right? Oh wait, a friend of mine forgot to bring his sleeping bag last year...

Quote Originally Posted by oh.kamikaze View Post
    Anyone have any tips for camping at the festival?
    Don't do this:

Don't do this:

Oh lawl.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

An interview with Smash head honcho Masahiro Hidaka was posted on the fujirockers.org website (part 1 and part 2). Some tidbits:

-The Stone Roses and Radiohead deals were pretty much sealed while the Arctic Monkeys were playing the Green Stage last year.

-To the surprise of absolutely no one, the early announcement this year (or rather, last year) wasn't Smash's choice, but the Stone Roses'. When Radiohead found about this, they also insisted on an early announcement.

-Initially, both Gallagher brothers wanted play on the same day as the Stone Roses.

-The three Green Stage sub-headliners all required the approval of the headliner playing after them.

-No Sunday closer this year (boo!).

-The price increase is totally unrelated to the booking. They had to do it to deal with higher costs all around.

-They're moving the Moon Caravan, the auto-camp site that used to be situated beyond the Orange Court, to the Pyramid Garden area (a lot of people are complaining about this).

-A new feature at the Pyramid Garden this year will be a 4m x 8m tent with gongs and stuff inside. Let's hope some asswipe doesn't go in there and start banging on them at 4AM, disturbing the PG campers' sleep.

-They're going to set up a busking area somewhere, and possibly a bowling alley (wtf?).

-We can expect to see the Cafe de Paris again.

-The Tokoro Tengoku (the food area outside the White Stage) will have a Japanese theme this year.

-The Atomic Cafe (the anti-nuclear segment they had at the Gypsy Avalon last year) will also make a return.

That's a bummer that there will be no closer. But by Sunday night I'm usually running on fumes anyway.

Are we anticipating one or two more announcements? Everything's usually final by the end of June, right?

So guess who decided to ditch camping and stay at the Naeba Prince Hotel instead? I need to get rid of my campsite ticket though. Also, I was planning to do Summer Sonic this year but I'll be paying through the nose for the Naeba Prince, so I don't know if I'll be able to afford it now.

Quote Originally Posted by gweilo View Post
    Are we anticipating one or two more announcements? Everything's usually final by the end of June, right?
    It used to be mid-July, but they did things differently last year and everything was finalized at the end of June, IIRC. One announcement for the remainder of the main stage acts, and then another for the smaller stages, maybe?

So guess who decided to ditch camping and stay at the Naeba Prince Hotel instead?
    How did you score the Naeba Prince, and if you don't mind me asking, how much is it setting you back? We finally got ours confirmed -- a pre-fab box next to some lodge that's costing each of us about JPY24,000 for four nights.

I've got an extra camping ticket too -- just FYI for anyone here who needs one.

Naeba Prince ey? However ever much it cost, You could easily make your money back pretty quickly charging people to use your hot shower

How did you score the Naeba Prince, and if you don't mind me asking, how much is it setting you back?
    A group of friends invited me on board after one of their members realized that her lack of employment probably means that she can't afford Fuji this year. I don't know what the exact price is, but I think it's well in excess of 50,000 JPY. Granted, the bus transportation from and to Tokyo is included in the amount, but it's still a hefty sum to pay, and I'm still not entirely sure if it's worth it. I already said yes though, so it's too late to back out now. And hey, I'll be able to watch some of the Olympics in our hotel room...

Quote Originally Posted by spu001 View Post
    Naeba Prince ey? However ever much it cost, You could easily make your money back pretty quickly charging people to use your hot shower
    I've never done the Naeba Prince before so I don't know for certain, but don't you need a wristband to get in the hotel?

New additions are up. The All Night Fuji lineup (who all seem to be local acts - are they really that strapped for cash this year...?), three other acts on the main stages, and a whole bunch of acts for the smaller stages.

All that remains seems to be one or maybe two more act(s) at the White Stage on Saturday. Not really holding my breath for whoever that will be. And, of course, set times.

And for all you Megadeth fans out there, it looks like Marty Friedman will be joining Chthonic at Fuji.

Friday's still very thin for me.

I'm not a Megadeth fan, but I am interested in checking out Chthonic -- not that I think I'll really like them, but I just can't pass up the opportunity to see Taiwanese black metal.

Looks like Radiohead are starting to postpone shows after last weekend's tragic accident. At the moment Fuji is still going ahead but I'm guessing that we'll see a reduced stage show as a lot of their gear got destroyed.

http://pitchfork.com/news/46937-radi...ase-statement/

On a seperate note I've been trying to find a website in English that shows gig/event listings for the time we're in Tokyo but haven't had much luck. Timeout Tokyo has some info but not really a listing of everything that's on. I guess I'm not just looking for gigs (by the way is it likely that Fuji bands play in Tokyo in the days leading up to it?) but also other events going on such as exhibitions, etc. Any locals/regulars have any ideas or is there a paper/magazine we should pick up when we get there that has this kind of info in it? We'll be staying in Shinjuku if anyone has any recommendations for that area in particular.

Yeah, I was worried about Fuji being affected by that horrible accident, but it's good to know that the show will go on. Can you imagine the shit that would've hit the fan if they had cancelled?

As for gigs in Tokyo, http://www.tokyogigguide.com/ is a good website, although it is by no means an exhaustive listing. The guy that runs the site actually used to post here. And yeah, there will be some Fuji Rock acts playing Tokyo before or after the festival, although the only international ones that I can find at the moment are Buddy Guy at the Shibuya O-East on July 30, and Yael Naim at the Shibuya Club Quattro on August 1. Some others might be announced in the future.

Also, I don't know if any of you are interested in checking out local acts at Fuji, but here a few that I think are worth seeing:

Shibusa Shirazu Orchestra
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_l8RXpYYjA

toe
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvcFFPQijqk

mouse on the keys
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16g0M3lJvio

Yosui Inoue
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psVjqEF-de8

Rovo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_tzoBLnj3g

Hikashu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr3THM4Evb4

Kinoco Hotel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-u77l_AfL8

Ametsub
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsPL2QoElmw

Denki Groove
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB1Rh5EfgtI

Friday's still very thin for me.
    All they needed to do was schedule the Field at a more sensible hour, preferably at the White Stage, and Friday would've seemed infinitely better.

Thanks for the YouTube links, we're definitely keen to check out some local acts but after they added a whole heap more the other day it became a lot more daunting trying to research who to check out so appreciate the selection!

All they needed to do was schedule the Field at a more sensible hour.
    I was hoping they'd give The Field a second appearance as they've done for some others but unfortunately not. Still seems strange they have one of their international acts playing so late when a lot of people will be in bed (probably including me)...

A couple of recent Radiohead set lists I found:

Jun 3:

Bloom/ Airbag/ Kid A/ Bodysnatchers/ Staircase/ Codex/ Meeting in the Aisle/ The National Anthem/ Nude/ Morning Mr. Magpie/ Identikit/ Lotus Flower/ Go to Sleep/ The Gloaming/ Feral/ There There

Encore:
    You and Whose Army?/ 15 Step/ Supercollider/ Paranoid Android

Encore 2:
    Give Up the Ghost/ Separator/ Reckoner

Jun 11:

Bloom/ There There/ Kid A/ Staircase/ Morning Mr. Magpie/ The Gloaming/ Separator/ I Might Be Wrong/ Pyramid Song/ Climbing Up the Walls/ Nude/ Lotus Flower/ Paranoid Android/ Feral/ Little by Little/ Idioteque

Encore: Exit Music (for a Film)/ Ful Stop/ Myxomatosis/ Reckoner/

Encore 2:
    Give Up the Ghost/ (Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood)/ Karma Police/ Everything In Its Right Place

Jun 13:

Bloom / There There (The Boney King Of Nowhere)/ Kid A / Morning Mr. Magpie / The Gloaming (Softly Open Our Mouths In The Cold) / Separator / Lucky / Like Spinning Plates / Identikit / 15 Step / Nude / Lotus Flower / Paranoid Android / Feral / Little by Little / Idioteque

Encore: Give Up The Ghost / Staircase / I Might Be Wrong / Bodysnatchers

Encore 2: House of Cards / Reckoner / True Love Waits > Everything In Its Right Place

Quote Originally Posted by Al & Mel View Post
    On a seperate note I've been trying to find a website in English that shows gig/event listings for the time we're in Tokyo but haven't had much luck.
    try iflyer.tv It has events, gigs festivals and best of all coupons!!! A little bit club focused though. Tokyo is under Kanto, As for street press there is a few in English/Bilingual but I lived in Osaka so I don't know what the local ones in Tokyo are called.....maybe give these a try http://www.tokyogigguide.com/ or http://metropolis.co.jp/

Sakanaction are also a pretty cool local act to catch but I think they are the same time as The Specials
    Last edited by spu001; 06-22-2012 at 05:10 AM.

They day these guys announce US shows, i don't care where they are, but make no mistake I will be there. They are a must see at Fuji. If you want to see just how amazing they should be, here you go. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFoet...eature=related

I'm planning on seeing mouse on the keys. It seems that I start off my weekend at the Field of Heaven or Orange Court every year...

The organizers just released an official statement (in Japanese only) saying that, despite some European dates being rescheduled, the Radiohead show at Fuji WILL happen. Always good to have that kind of assurance.

Oh, and here's an interesting news article regarding last year's Fuji.