Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Fuji Rock Festival 2012

Default Re: Fuji Rock Festival 2012

Do possibly unfounded rumors that Reni might not be playing at the Stone Roses reunion shows count?

Other than that, let's see, some recent Smash-promoted shows include the Boredoms, 22-20s, Blonde Redhead, and Noel Gallagher, so maybe one or more of those acts will return to Japan in July (well, the Boredoms would actually just be staying put in Japan but you get my meaning)? I haven't bothered checking their schedules though, so feel free to point out that so-and-so won't be available that weekend.

The next announcement will probably be 12 midnight between next Wednesday and Thursday. Until then, maybe this promo film will help tide you over (although some of the footage is reused from previous years' promos)...

Quote Originally Posted by Al & Mel View Post
    Just a question about train tickets, if I book them for the trip back to Tokyo and miss the train because of long delays getting a shuttle bus do I lose them completely and have to pay for new ones once we get to the station?
    You only lose your reserved seat. You'll be able to board the next train, as long as you're fine with the possibility of not having a seat (I imagine the shinkansen to Tokyo will be crazily crowded on Monday morning). This will actually be the first time that I use the shinkansen on the return trip as well, due to my friend not being able to secure a decent parking ticket.
    Last edited by Blue Stapler; 05-10-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Stapler View Post
    Other than that, let's see, some recent Smash-promoted shows include the Boredoms, 22-20s, Blonde Redhead, and Noel Gallagher
    To be precise, only the Blonde Redhead show is recent, the other shows are all upcoming. But I'm not making a new post to correct this technicality, but to mention that Smash also promoted the Pogue's Japanese shows in March. And some Wilko Johnson shows just got announced, but that's in October so I don't think we'll be seeing him at Fuji.

Also, all the bands that are playing this event next month can probably be ruled out for Fuji. And Primal Scream as well, who are playing at a festival called Rocks Tokyo along with a bunch of crappy Japanese bands.

I like Bloc Party, the Cribs and Primal Scream OK, but no major losses for me there.

MBV just issued some remasters. I saw they're doing some rehearsal gigs in June, but it doesn't sound like they're touring behind the release and there's no way they would do a show at Fuji again just four years after the last (dammit).

Just noticed that M83 is in France Jul 22 and then Pennsylvania Aug 1, with no dates in between. Could they be saving some news? They're probably not big enough to headline the Green on Sat, but still. They've got no Asian dates listed at all yet....

Talking baseless speculation or more probably dreams how epic would it be for Siouxsie and the Banshees to play or even just Siousxie Sioux

I hope M83 play, every chance I have had to see M83 I miss it hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by gweilo View Post
    MBV just issued some remasters. I saw they're doing some rehearsal gigs in June, but it doesn't sound like they're touring behind the release and there's no way they would do a show at Fuji again just four years after the last (dammit).
    This is just a hunch, but I think the next Japanese festival that MBV play will be Summer Sonic.

Also, make what you will of this tweet...

Oh dear god no. But no tour dates announced yet....

The next announcement will probably be 12 midnight between next Wednesday and Thursday.
    So, uh, I was wrong. Sorry.

So, uh, I was wrong. Sorry.
    Well last night's barely counts....the big announcement is still pending.

Yosui Inoue is pretty big, I think. When I learned he was playing I thought he might be that last main headliner (especially since it would be in keeping with the recent trend of Saturday night featuring geriatrics), but he's scheduled for Sunday so he could be the White headliner or earlier in the day at the Green Stage. Really hope it's the latter, since I'd hate for him to conflict with Radiohead.

Dang, got my hopes up when I saw the new announcement on their website.

They really know how to drag this lineup out but I gather they do this every year...

Yeah, Fuji always announces their lineup in small increments, going well into July. As to the Saturday night headliner, my advice to you is to do what I do and assume that it will be Ray Davies. That way, you won't be disappointed if that does actually transpire (not that I'm not keen on seeing him), and if it doesn't, you might end up being pleasantly surprised - depending on who it is of course.

Also, those greedy bastards will be raising tickets prices in several days time, so if you haven't gotten yours, you might want to work on that.

I can't help it -- I'll be disappointed if it's Ray Davies as the headliner.

How's MONO live? My impression of them is not dissimilar from Explosions in the Sky ... or maybe a slightly more progressive and less guitar-oriented Mogwai?

As to the Saturday night headliner, my advice to you is to do what I do and assume that it will be Ray Davies.
    With each new announcement I'm kinda resigning myself to this and that they're not going to announce a big name for Saturday that's going to blow me away. Although might work in my favour as after Thursday and Friday I might be needing a quieter day to get over my hangover and be ready for Sunday!

Don't know much about MONO but I like Mogwai and Explosions so sounds like I should check them out.

Yosui Inoue is pretty big, I think. When I learned he was playing I thought he might be that last main headliner (especially since it would be in keeping with the recent trend of Saturday night featuring geriatrics), but he's scheduled for Sunday so he could be the White headliner or earlier in the day at the Green Stage. Really hope it's the latter, since I'd hate for him to conflict with Radiohead.
    Obviously he's huge in Japan but we're all hoping for a genuine Western mega-star here along the lines of the Cure. (please Elvis let it be the Cure)

Quote Originally Posted by gweilo View Post
    How's MONO live? My impression of them is not dissimilar from Explosions in the Sky ... or maybe a slightly more progressive and less guitar-oriented Mogwai?
    I've never seen them before. I missed them when they played Fuji in 2008 or 2009 - I think their set was too early in the morning for me or something like that, or maybe they conflicted with someone I wanted to see. They've probably played some other local-band-only festivals I've attended as well, but I've managed to miss them all. Saturday looks somewhat thin for me, so maybe I'll catch their set this time.

Oh, and Hidaka reportedly said - or intimated - in a radio interview that the Saturday headliner will be announced in June.

This is really just an FWIW, but My Bloody Valentine are scheduled to tour Japan in February, and the shows are being promoted by Smash. The Internet being what it is, this has led some people to speculate that perhaps they're the Fuji headliner this year. It seems a bit far-fetched IMO, but who knows. The shows are nine months away, so the announcement is unusually early, to be sure.

Just thought I'd throw that out there, since we're all grasping at straws here...

My Bloody Valentine are scheduled to tour Japan in February
    But would they play Fuji twice in five years? I realize that hasn't stopped ADF and Primal Scream ... just sayin'. I would love it, don't get me wrong.

The Chemical Brothers headlined Fuji in 2007 and then again in 2011. Ditto for Franz Ferdinand in 2006 and 2009. So that alone doesn't rule them out. The theory being bandied about is that they're announcing the MBV shows this early in order for them to sell out within the next few weeks. And then, once they've sold out, MBV would be announced as the Saturday Fuji headliner. But like I said, I'm not buying it. Maybe next year.

One other possibility people are talking about (again, this is pure speculation) is that Bjork was supposed to be that third headliner, but pulled out. As you probably know she's had to cancel a slew of summer dates due to medical issues, so I suppose it's a plausible scenario. I'd love to see Bjork but I'd prefer it if she played Fuji another year anyway. It's already going to be a hellishly crowded year - someone like Bjork would just make it worse.

Also, has everyone who is planning on going already secured their tickets? Prices go up tomorrow.

WASTE said there would be no 1 day pass for Fuji Festival but now they're available....

http://tickets.waste.uk.com/Store/DII-3657-5-.html

11/19 Deafheaven @ MHOW
    11/20 Nils Frahm @ Glasslands
    11/21 Joy Orbison/Ben UFO @ ?
    11/22 Adam X @ Bossa Nova

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Lurker

Just read this piece saying Van Halen are tipped for Fuji Rock. Know anything about this?

http://www.noise11.com/news/van-hale...ugust-20120521

I don't. Not sure how you guys feel about them, but I think Van Halen coming to Fuji Rock would be AWESOME. My friends in the States say they've been tearing up live shows.

They do strike me as more of a Summer Sonic-type band though. Has SS already finalized their lineup? I know it's a couple weeks later this year.

That's the first I've heard of it too. Van Halen at Fuji would be hilarious.

I agree with gweilo that they seem more suited for Summer Sonic, but I don't think that's happening this year. SS hasn't finalized the full lineup, but all the slots that VH could possibly play (headliner and sub-headliner of the main stage, and the headliner for the second biggest stage) appear to be filled.

Not sure what to make of this, they certainly haven't figured on my list of potential 3rd headliners. Although having said that if they bring a big show with them it could be quite entertaining/amusing and might be a guilty pleasure, just not sure if I'll still respect myself the next morning!

Noel Gallagher just confirmed that he will be playing at Fuji Rock on a Japanese TV show. I am not watching said TV show, but a few people I follow on twitter are, and I see no reason for them to lie to me.

Fuji rockers tweeted "Noel said in Osaka, he will be back to Japan for Fuji Rock. Isn't it great? You know who we are talking about?"

I would've thought a Gallagher brother would only agree to play a fest if the other wasn't!

And of course let the Oasis headlining speculation begin!

Although at Coachella both Morrissey and Marr played on the same weekend without a Smiths reunion...

I'm hoping that one of them plays the Green Stage at exactly the same time that the other plays the White Stage.

I'm hoping they both stop making music altogether. Maybe they can take up knitting or something.