Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuji Rock Festival 2012

Default Re: Fuji Rock Festival 2012

Smashing Pumpkins annouced to headline splendour would be possible to headline friday or sunday in AUS and Saturday at fuji.

Billy Corgan certainly fits the ego of the other headliners of this years fuji

Not to mention James Iha is also playing Fuji.

I really can't see them headlining Fuji on Saturday though, if they're playing Australia the next day. I think you'd be better off hoping that they'll headline the White Stage on Friday. They weren't the main headliner when they played Summer Sonic two years ago, so I wouldn't totally rule it out, though I wouldn't hold my breath either...

Quote Originally Posted by spu001 View Post
    Plus there were some more written in furigana which i don't know how to read hahahha
    They've updated the English site, so you can see all the bands now.

I have no fucking idea what "Gojira Hoshano Hikashu" is, but I'm assuming it's some variant of Hikashu, in which I'm case I'd be up to seeing them (and Gozira = Godzilla, and Hoshano = radiation so I'm sensing there's a theme here). And I was pretty sure Shibusashirazu would be playing this year. They're practically the Fuji Rock house band but hadn't played since 2009, which is a long drought for them. Their live shows are always a joy, but the two names that really made my day are the Field and Yael Naim. Hell yeah.

gweilo - I think Beady Eye are definitely big enough to be the Green Stage sub-headliner. They had an equivalent slot when they played Summer Sonic last year, and given the Manchester connection and the fact that the Gallagher brothers probably grew up listening to the Stone Roses, I think it makes a lot of sense.
    Last edited by Blue Stapler; 04-18-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brochella View Post
    So, its not possible to purchase 1 day tickets if you live outside of Japan, right? Only 3 tickets? I'm in Seoul, and would love to come for Sunday, but not all 3 days. How would you guys suggest I go about this? Also, what kind of transportation is there available going between Tokyo and the festival before and after the festival?
    Yeah, I think it's really shitty how they do that. The only thing I can think of is if there's someone you know in Japan, you could ask him/her to get the ticket for you. Otherwise, contact Smash and ask, maybe? You do have a legitimate complaint.

As to getting there from Tokyo, the easiest way is to take the bullet train to Echigo Yuzawa, and there will be free shuttle buses waiting at the station to take you to the festival site. The train ride will be about two hours or so, and about 30 minutes for the bus ride, plus however long you have to wait in line for the bus, which can be really long or really short, depending on what time of the day it is.

Pumpkins are surely too big for the White Stage. It would be great to have them but I don't think it's happening. Bloc Party's playing Splendour and then Hawaii July 30 so they must be a shoe-in but not as a headliner I guess.

Lurker

Here's a list of who is playing which days at Splendour so might help cancel any potential acts for Fuji

Splendour In The Grass 2012 lineup:
    Friday 27 July

Jack White
    At The Drive-In – Only Australian show
    The Shins
    Explosions In The Sky – Only Australian show
    The Afghan Whigs
    Kimbra
    Spiderbait
    Gypsy & The Cat
    Dz Deathrays
    Howler
    Lanie Lane
    Big Scary
    Michael Kiwanuka
    Yacht Club Djs
    Bertie Blackman
    Youth Lagoon
    Pond
    Ben Howard
    Hypnotic Brass Ensemble
    Kate Miller-Heidke
    Emma Louise
    Chet Faker
    Triple J Unearthed
    Canyons
    Nice And Ego
    Alison Wonderland
    Flume
    Saturday 28 July

Bloc Party – Only Australian show
    Hilltop Hoods
    Miike Snow
    Dirty Three – Only Australian show
    Lana Del Rey
    Tame Impala
    Ladyhawke
    Mudhoney
    Band Of Skulls
    Last Dinosaurs
    Muscles
    Seekae
    Friends
    Jinja Safari
    The Beautiful Girls
    Tijuana Cartel
    Bleeding Knees Club
    Shihad
    Here We Go Magic
    Mosman Alder
    The Cast Of Cheers
    Wolf & Cub
    Danny T
    Sampology
    Gloves
    Luke Million
    Sunday 29 July

Smashing Pumpkins
    The Kooks – Only Australian show
    Gossip
    Azealia Banks
    Wolfmother
    Missy Higgins
    50 Years Of Dylan – Kav Temperley, Kevin Mitchell, Holly Throsby, Patience Hodgson and “an array of surprise Splendour guests”
    Metric
    Django Django
    San Cisco
    Electric Guest
    Angus Stone
    Fun.
    Blue King Brown
    Yuksek
    Ball Park Music
    The Rubens
    Zulu Winter
    The Medics
    Husky
    Father John Misty
    Parachute Youth
    Gossling
    Nina Las Vegas
    Beni
    Alley Oop
    Harris Robotis

Ooh, so Jack White is playing Fuji on Sunday, not Friday. So maybe it will be Jack White --> Radiohead at the Green Stage, or ATDI --> Jack White at the White Stage.

We can probably rule out all the Saturday acts for Splendour (goodbye Dirty Three...). Focusing on the acts that are already confirmed for Fuji, it looks like:

Friday
    The Kooks
    Gossip
    Django Django

Sunday
    Jack White
    ATDI
    The Shins
    EITS

Hmm, not as much overlap as I thought there'd be.

seanbear - Yeah, but SP played the Mountain Stage at Summer Sonic, which is the equivalent of Fuji's White Stage. But this is all moot because I agree with you - it's probably not happening. And I'd rule out Bloc Party as well, since they're headlining Splendour on Saturday, and they're also playing a mini-festival of sorts over here in June.

As much as I wanna see Bloc Party I agree they probably won't be there same for Smashing Pumpkins I heard on twitter today that they will be touring Aus after the festival which means they would be ruled out...I guess I was just hoping they might be there for a Billy Corgan Vs. James Iha onstage punch on.

As for bands playing Splendour I hope could make an appearance at Fuji would be Metric, Yuksek, Azealia Banks (I know it ain't gonna happen) and Afghan Wigs.

For today's announcement I am so stoked for Annie Mac, Django Django and Yaem Nail

I think there might be going to be some tears over clashes on Sunday. Jack White or ATDI would against Radiohead would be a tough choice but I could imagine the White Stage at that time is not going to have an sardine style crowd like I have heard Radiohead attracted at Coachella

If it really is ATDI or Jack vs RH I'd imagine White Stage's final act will start well before Radiohead. Radiohead are allegedly bringing their whole show so set-up will run long. First part of Radiohead's set is missable. Watch it on Youtube. Daily Mail onwards is unmissable however. Only problem is Green Stage will be absolutely chocka for Radiohead; coming late you'll struggle to see much.

The bummer for me is Radiohead play Taiwan on the Wednesday but we fly out that morning. I'd have loved to have seen the Taiwan show, bought the t-shirt, and then pressure off for Sunday night.

Quote Originally Posted by spu001 View Post
    Azealia Banks (I know it ain't gonna happen)
    She's confirmed for Summer Sonic, so, yeah.

You make a good point about the sardine conditions. With the right act playing against them at the White Stage or Field of Heaven, I can see myself avoiding the crazily overcrowded Green Stage. It would have to be someone I really, really, really want to see though, and neither Jack White nor ATDI fit that description for me. And I'm also thinking it can't be worse than when Atoms For Peace played in 2010...or can it?

Quote Originally Posted by seanbear View Post
    If it really is ATDI or Jack vs RH I'd imagine White Stage's final act will start well before Radiohead.
    I'm looking at last year's set times, and on all three days it was the Green Stage headliner starting at 21:30, and the White headliner at 22:20 (I thought Sunday might be different because there's a closer, but apparently not). In 2010 it was Green at 21:30, and White at 22:10, except for Saturday which was kind of a weird day because they had Chris Cunningham playing after Roxy Music.

That kind of sucks because to have RH close the whole festival with a Paranoid Android encore would be awesome. Especially if it's raining "rain down rain down" etc.) Mind you their show should go longer than the White headliner so it could still happen.

TK
    If it really is ATDI or Jack vs RH I'd imagine White Stage's final act will start well before Radiohead.
    Like Stapler pointed out, it's usually the opposite. But if you chose Radiohead, you'd still have little chance of catching anything except the very end of the White Stage headliner set because it would take you 20-30 mins to get there from the Green Stage (after extricating yourself from the crowd and fighting your way down the trail), and by that time it'd be 11:30.

Jack White or ATDI would against Radiohead would be a tough choice but I could imagine the White Stage at that time is not going to have an sardine style crowd like I have heard Radiohead attracted at Coachella
    I'm starting to wonder about this. I don't want to miss Radiohead, but that field is going to be SLAMMED. Would it be worth it to get shoved around for 90 minutes, knee-deep in muck, desperate for a toilet, etc. just to be near the stage? I also don't want to spend an hour jockeying for position at the expense of something else good....

Mind you their show should go longer than the White headliner so it could still happen.
    Green headliners usually start at 9:30 and play 90-min sets. They may also do an encore, so let's say they finish at 11:15 or 11:30. The White headliner (usually starting after 10pm) would still be playing until close to midnight. But again, getting there in time would be near-impossible. With a clear path, it's a 10-min walk. Add crowds and you can double that easily.

Quote Originally Posted by gweilo View Post
    TK
    I also don't want to spend an hour jockeying for position at the expense of something else good....
    Yeah but what if it's an epoch-defining transcendental mind-fuck? Like imagine if instead of catching Hendrix at Woodstock you left after Sha-na-na thinking that was prolly as good as it got.

Yeah but what if it's an epoch-defining transcendental mind-fuck?
    Oh, well, put it that way....

I should clarify: The likelihood of me missing Radiohead is next to nil. But I'm wondering what it would be like to watch it in relative comfort from the back.

Oh, who am I kidding? You're probably gonna see me staggering out of the pit with a 2-liter bottle of urine.

with a 2-liter bottle of urine.
    Wait, what?!

Uh, anyway, I've seen Radiohead before so the Stone Roses are higher on the list for me. I'm pretty sure I'll end up seeing both though. I actually don't really care who the Saturday headliner is. But I should point out that the Saturday headliner for the past two years were Roxy Music and the Faces. Wouldn't you say that the Kinks are probably bigger than either of those bands...?

It's not really the Kinks though is it? I'll take Jack White as a headliner on Saturday. Anyone heard the album yet? Oh and don't forget we got Elvis.

Wait, what?!
    Well ... how do YOU go to the bathroom when you're in the middle of 20,000 people? Necessity is the mother and all that....

I should point out that the Saturday headliner for the past two years were Roxy Music and the Faces. Wouldn't you say that the Kinks are probably bigger than either of those bands...?
    That thought did cross my mind. Saturdays at Fuji have turned into bingo night at the old folks' home. But Roxy Music and Faces notwithstanding, is Ray Davies bigger than John Fogerty?

Let's face it: If they're stuck for a third headliner, they may very well turn to Kinks Lite.

Well ... how do YOU go to the bathroom when you're in the middle of 20,000 people? Necessity is the mother and all that....
    I make sure that I go to the loo before the set, like my mother always taught me to. I wonder what your mother would think if she knew about your pee-pee shenanigans!

But Roxy Music and Faces notwithstanding, is Ray Davies bigger than John Fogerty?
    Or, a more pertinent questions might be, is he bigger than Elvis Costello? I'm not sure, but my guess would be "no." But Costello is also playing Jisan Valley (although, unlike Splendour, Korea is near enough for someone to play Fuji and Jisan or vice versa on consecutive days).

I make sure that I go to the loo before the set, like my mother always taught me to.
    Your mom was a rocker? That's cool.

With nine Heinekens in me by the time I'm trying to hold down a spot near the stage, a tactical pee barely lasts me an hour. What can I say -- I've got a bladder the size of a change purse. I remember being HIGHLY uncomfortable about an hour into Massive Attack a couple years ago. The rain didn't help.

At Summersonic 2010 I saw some chick using a she-wee have a terrible accident trying to pee in a bottle in a crowd Aiming is a mans skill.

Her mum must not have taught her to go to the loo before
    Last edited by spu001; 04-21-2012 at 12:11 AM.

Drew Magary said it best: "Ever watch a woman urinate? It's like someone took an axe to a sewer pipeline. It's CHAOS."

Check out this review of a Jack White show: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012...k-white-review

If he's also doing White Stripes stuff, then he would have more than enough material to headline.

I mean on the White Stage -- White on the White.

Because there's no way he would do Oz and Japan back-to-back nights by playing the Green on Saturday, would he?

You would think I could put all these thoughts in one post.

But you'd be wrong.

So many good memories when I saw the White Stripes...Good to hear Jack is playing old stuff. It is possible to play AUS on Fri and Japan Sat it's only a 7 or 8 hour flight. Just tedious I guess but Jack White touring with two bands would make that easier so I guess it is possible. I think it is more likely he will play white stage on Sunday probably after ATDI

it's only a 7 or 8 hour flight
    Gotta be more than that, right? It's 8 or so from Melbourne/ Sydney to Hong Kong.

I guess it's possible theoretically, but there's no way I wouldn't demand that Jack White be booked to play Fuji on Sunday if I were his booking agent. I don't know how long it takes to travel from the Splendour site to the nearest international airport with flights to Tokyo, but he'd have to take the Saturday morning flight, sit in a plane for 7 or 8 or 9 or however many hours, land in Tokyo some time in the afternoon, clear customs, travel to Naeba (which will take a couple of hours), and then perform a headlining set. All in the space of a day. I wouldn't want to put up with that if I were a relatively unknown band, much less someone of Jack White's caliber.

I agree that headlining the White Stage on Sunday seems most likely. Never noticed that angle about his name also being White though...
    Last edited by Blue Stapler; 04-25-2012 at 01:24 AM.