Thread: It's raining checkered slip-ons

Default It's raining checkered slip-ons

RIP James Van Doren.

http://www.scpr.org/blogs/newmedia/2...doren-dead-72/
    James Van Doren, co-founder of Vans skate shoes, has died at the age of 72, leaving behind a legacy of iconic shoes and devoted followers. What began as a simple skateboarding shoe in 1966 turned into a symbol of the burgeoning Southern California skate culture.

Vans were the shoes of a beachside counter-culture; the thick, rubber-souled lace-ups and slip-ons were not mean to be kept clean. They screamed to be scuffed, ripped and worn until a telltale hole appeared on the toe. Vans were used to do ollies and kickflips, protect your feet in mosh pits and carry California's youth wherever they wanted to go.

The holy moment of the company came with the creation of the checkered slip-on. Originally created only in black-and-white, these flexible, sturdy shoes remained suitable for skating but with an aesthetic that appealed to a much larger crowd. People became obsessed with the shoe, which was later rereleased in an assortment of updated colors, including neon pink and black or electric blue and black.

Since then, Vans has collaborated with artists, musicians and creative visionaries to create skate shoes that have become powerful images of fashion. Vans now come decorated with hearts, flowers, skulls and American flags.

There are special edition, rubber-toe low-tops named for pro skateboarder Tony Alva, and a pair of plaid high-tops honoring Pearl Jam. Vans also a has complete line of children's shoes and apparel with collections featuring Hello Kitty and Yo Gabba Gabba.

But it is the Vans classic models that have captured the hearts and minds of generations of sneaker-wearers. Shoes like the Vans Authentic, Slip-on, Chukka Boot and Era surface in film, television, music and fashion, first in California and then in the rest of the world. Sean Penn's character in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High," Jeff Spicoli, sported a pair of checkered slip-ons and soon rocketed the shoes to mass popularity.

Vans have been featured in fashion magazines and seen on the heels of celebrities from Rihanna to Brad Pitt. The brand has become the symbol for a larger culture and even spurred the enormous touring rock concert, the Vans Warped Tour.

The Suicide Machines created a song in 1993 titled "The Vans Song," declaring the group's love for the shoe. The chorus included: "Vans in my head, Vans on my feet" and "Don't wear no Doc Martens, Don't wear no Birkenstocks."

And it was only five years ago that Berkeley high schoolers The Pack released their ode to the canvas shoes, simply titled "Vans." The song quickly exploded in the Bay Area, was picked up on the radio and became a representation of a new era of music. When these young rappers released this song, they made a statement that the shoes, and skateboarding in general, weren't just for punk rockers anymore. (Although The Pack does give them a shoutout with "These are punk rock shoes so they get real dirty.")

The Pack helped usher in a wave of young hip-hop music that embraced skateboarding culture. The "Vans" video highlights skateboards, skate tricks and of course, the shoes. "You can get different colors like rainbows — since 1966 Vans has set a trend, I got a blue pair, yeah, in a size 10."

In 2006, Lupe Fiasco put out his own ode to skateboarding with his song, "Kick, Push." He sings, "Just the freedom is better than breathing they said (they said). And they escape route, they used to escape out, when things got crazy they needed to break out. They'd head to any place with stairs, any good grinds, the world was theirs, and they four wheels would take them there. 'Til the cops came and said 'There's no skating here.'"

Even the chorus mimics the actual motion rhythm of skating, "So they Kick, push kick, kick, push kick, push kick, push, coast. So come and skate with me, just a rebel looking for a place to be." You can almost hear the whoosh of wheels on cement.
    Last edited by thetello; 11-04-2011 at 12:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomboclat View Post
    Sometimes you just reach that level where the only thing that makes sense is to get buck naked.

Default Re: It's raining checkered slip-ons

I love vans. Sadly the fit of size 13 vans ranges from not fitting at all to perfect so I can't just buy them online. Never can tell if they will fit, unless I try them on.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkjustice View Post
    this mix is tripping me out
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

hi matt

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

bummer. i've been a fan of vans since my middle school days. rip.

November 18 - Slayer
    November 19 - eyehategod
    December 4 - Behemoth
    January 30 - Behemoth
    February 3 - Zola Jesus
    February 6 - Sleep

Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I still wear Vans and my daughter has two pairs. I know the company is not raining, but