Page 89 of 92 FirstFirst ... 848586878889909192 LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,670 of 2749

Thread: Outside Lands 2012

Default Re: Outside Lands 2012

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I suppose I don't understand why someone would want a wristband for memorabilia to something that they weren't even a part of, then. But I'm just a lowly, wristbandless plebeian.
    My friend used a VIP wristband from a previous year and they let him in to the festival.

OSL has some serious security issues.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

It really needs a major facelift before I'll drop my money there again:

-overcrowded (people sneaking in)
    -only 1 good stage
    -see 5 bands a day
    -most talkative crowd

It has a cool forest feel/ good food/ nice weather

Its just not for us who are there for music as the main attraction.

Up until Sunday I was thinking this one might end up being my worst music festival ever. But Sunday was great and really made the weekend for me. Wasn't too jazzed about the lineup to begin with but honestly did not know a lot of the bands on it so I figured I would find some new favorites like last year. I'm not a big headliner guy but more interested in the mid-tier acts.

Got in town Thursday night from San Diego. Went right over to Academy of Science for the Monsters of Men show. We went to this event last year and had a pretty good time. Since we missed out on tickets we paid $20 each from someone who had extras. Got a couple overpriced drinks and then the show was too full and they would not let anyone else outside. Wasn't THAT interested in the band but wanted to start off the trip with a show. Instead checked out the aquarium and such and then had some drinks on Haight. If they are over capacity they should not sell that many tickets or at least let people know they have to be there super early to get into the show.

Got in to the festival early on Friday. I will just preface it by saying that I am not into indie at all. My musical tastes are pretty wide open but I am into mostly hip hop/djs/world music. I dunno, but a lot of indie rock sounds the same to me. I guess some people say that about hip hop though. This festival was really lacking for the hip hop and that was a major disappointment...

Friday:

Started off Friday with PAPA. Never heard of them before but I was hyped for some live music and they sounded pretty good. Sounded like the typical Indie band to me but I enjoyed it.

Saw a couple minutes of Tanlines which were kind of boring IMO and then saw the Geographer acoustic show in the AT&T All-Access Lounge. He only did four songs but I was super close and it was really fun except for the soundbleed from the Panhandle.

Went to Fitz and the Tantrums after that. Had only heard a few songs by them before but heard they were good live and they did not disappoint. Was a little too far back and waiting for a friend the whole time who was running majorly late so could not concentrate on the show fully. Will definitely check them out next time I get a chance.

Watched a bit of Beck and I never liked him that much and his show didn't do anything to change my mind.

Hiked over to Die Antwoord. I had seen their Lolla webcast the week before and thought it looked real fun even though their music got on my nerves. They were dressed exactly the same as their Lolla set and it seemed to be what I had just watched online and I had fun for a few songs but I think it was very gimmicky and got old quick. Switch it up people!

Then went to Antibalas -- I had heard they were good but I didn't know much about them. WOW. They blew my socks off and were everything I was looking for at that moment. I danced the entire show and it really takes something I like to get my old ass movin! Great show and Top 3 of the weekend for me...

Then off to MSTRKRFT and that was kind of a fun one and I was really looking forward to this show but the sound sucked as it did for many of the Twin Peaks shows over the course of the weekend and I was kind of far back since my GF didn’t want to get close so we ended up going to sit on the hill for the rest of the show. Disappointment because of the sound.

Was really tired by this point so got some food and called it a day as I wasn’t super interested in Neil Young or Justice.

Saturday:

Got there early and wanted to see Zola Jesus. Saw her at a small venue in San Diego earlier in the year and this was one of my best shows of the year. Thought the big stage was maybe too big for her but I loved the show and she has a really great voice. Was somewhat of a letdown since the previous show was so good but it was still awesome.

Wandered around for a bit and sat on the hill for Geographer. Was a cool show but kind of lost a bit of its luster since I had seen the acoustic mini-show the day before. I like them though.

MIMOSA was high on my list of shows I wanted to see but I have seen him 2-3 times already so I decided to skip (mainly BC of the GF) to see Portugal, a band I am not familiar with but always hear good reviews for from all the festivals I have missed them at. They were really good I thought but we were pretty far back and even on the mainstage I think the close you are the better experience it is, as people have been talking about on here. Would love to see them in a smaller venue.

STILL had a chance to catch a bit of MIMOSA but decided to see Alabama Shakes since they had such a great buzz over the new album. This was a major clusterfuck and one of the most crowded sets I have ever seen at a fest. After tying to get through for 10 minutes decided to scrap that plan and it took another 10 minutes to get out so MIMOSA was no longer a possibility.

So went to get a couple beers and get a decent spot for Big Boi. Was there for his no-show last year and have never seen him so I was excited for this show even though I am not a huge Outkast fan . It was a fun show and I loved the crowd participation during Ms. Jackson but the sound was still fucked up and it just wasn’t that loud where I was standing. Good/fun show though.

Stayed around for Passion Pit. Not too familiar with their work but I knew they had a sound I liked and I thought they were great and the crowd was into it although same issue with the sound. This is another band I am looking to see again.

Went and got a good spot for Metallica. I actually secretly wished I could see Sigur Ros after missing them at Bonnaroo a couple years ago. But the GF wasn’t having it as she is a big Metallica fan. We actually got up pretty close for this one as we were moving closer and closer as the show went on. It was a very good show. But, again, I had seen them at Bonnaroo where they put on an AMAZING show and this one just didn’t have the same energy for me. Definitely fun but would have rather been at the other show.

Sunday:

Late start for the day as we had breakfast in the city with friends. Started off the day with Trampled by Turtles and they were a ton of fun! Great way to start the day. This was my first show all weekend at Sutro and I thought the sound was much better than Twin Peaks. Crowd was having fun and so was I! Would definitely see them again and will when they come into town.

Stuck around for a few songs of City and Colour and they did not really do much for me.

Headed over to the mainstage to see Regina Spektor. Mellow show but she is a great and talented artist and I thought she was amazing. The crowd was good for this one too.

Back over to Twin Peaks for my most anticipated show of the weekend: Santigold. She AMAZED me and this was my top show of the weekend.. I had seen her at Sea of Dreams and loved her but this was eve n better. The sound was not the greatest but I got pretty close and loved every minute of it. She rocks hardcore!

Stayed at Twin Peaks for Bloc Party. Didn’t know much about them but loved every minute of this show and I am now a fan. This was probably my second favorite show of the weekend and Santgold into Bloc Party really made the weekend for me.

Was going to go see first half of Stevie and then maybe catch a bit of Skrillex, but was walking by the Panhandle and saw this amazing dance party and heard some crazy good tunes. I had heard the name Wolfgang Gartner before but I thought he was more of a house DJ or something for some reason. My DJ tastes are more in the Bassnectar/Flying Lotus realm than Tiesto/Paul Van Dyk. I thought he was incredible and we stayed for the whole show and even though I was exhausted I danced my ass off. Best surprise of the weekend since I had not even planned on being anywhere near this show. He is high on my list to see again.

After this show I was done. Had to get some food and heard a couple songs of Stevie on the way out. Had an early flight in the AM and just could not wait to get to sleep. Disappointed I missed SW as this would probably be one of my only times to see him, but I go to a lot of festivals so who knows.

Overall a great weekend. Will probably be back next year. Not as good as Coachella or Bonnaroo and the logistics prevent me from seeing as much as I want to see for a festival weekend. But I love the park, the weather and the people even though some of the loud talking during the shows was annoying.

The best food I had was the Frickles and the Beer Brats. And the pepper jack mac-n-cheese was a great snack and a great deal for only $3!

Edited: sorry about misspellings I typed this out quick while at work!
    Last edited by jeremywww; 08-17-2012 at 08:11 AM.

No doubt there was a lot more people then capacity but it was never unbearable like Coachella '10 except for a few moments over the weekend and even then, a few more speaker towers and screens and I think you would hear a lot less talkers and complainers. Pretty simple fix. Also, OSL should go to wristbands next year and that will cut down some of the overcrowded problems.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Maybe, but on the other hand nobody got stabbed. Chill chatty people > the dumb zone people

blazed before Amadou & Mariam and man did they transform into Barney. did anyone see the aliens dancing on pink water during Sigur Rós ? i sure did thanks to the shrooms. the Sigur Rós show was simply majestic and beautiful.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

jesus christ. are any of you able to review the festival without writing a book about it?

The festival was good.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I had a great time and plan on returning. Line up, food, beer, wine, location, weather, atmosphere were all awesome, in my opinion. Saturday felt crowded, like every festival does on Saturday. Overall I thought the crowd was much better than the other festivals I've attended. I didn't have any problem with the lack of visuals, and actually preferred the big, beautiful trees.

My main issue was with the sound at all stages. It seemed like every set, with the possible exception of the main stage headliners, had some sort of sound issues. Not at any point was I instantly impressed with the sound like at Coachella at practically any stage. My other observation is that there's significantly more walking involved at OSL compared to Coachella, it's more Bonnaroo.

First time at Outside Lands. The festival was somewhat disappointing overall, but Sunday was awesome and actually rivaled single Coachella days for me. The talking and sound annoyed me as well, until we figured out how to move between the stages efficiently. On Sunday we were front row for nearly every artist we saw, which almost never happens at Coachella. We really had to get up close to be next to the other music lovers and experience the good vibes. The food was absolutely fantastic (the lamb gyro was my favorite), and will ruin other festival's food for me I'm thinking. Beer lands was a good time, wine lands was an absolute rip off. But the atmosphere of the Outside Lands cant even touch the atmosphere of Coachella. If it's foggy all the time you dont get any of the bright colors, everything is just washed out and dull. The sun never even sets, it just turns brownish and then black. Kind of a dreary experience in my mind. Plus the fact that you only get a half set of actual darkness takes away all the magic and craziness. I would go again now that I have figured out Outside Lands "quirks" but it would have to be an amazing lineup.

My schedule:

FRIDAY = Tanlines > Wallpaper > Reggie Watts > Fitz and the Tantrums > YACHT > Beck > Of Monsters and Men > Antibalas > MSTRKRFT > Neil Young > Justice
    SATURDAY = Zola Jesus > Animal Kingdom > Tame Impala > Father John Misty > Portugal the Man > Mimosa > Grandaddy > The Kills > Passion Pit > Metallica > Sigur Ros
    SUNDAY = Franz Ferdinand > Amadou and Miriam > Electric Guest > Santigold > Jack White > Bloc Party > Stevie Wonder
    COACHELLA 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10...

Quote Originally Posted by nocigarettes View Post
    blazed before Amadou & Mariam and man did they transform into Barney. did anyone see the aliens dancing on pink water during Sigur Rós ? i sure did thanks to the shrooms. the Sigur Rós show was simply majestic and beautiful.
    poetry, you.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Did some stinky hippy try to steal your children?

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella Bound View Post
    there were wristbands, but no way are they getting one for $5... mostly press and photo, but they deff exist.

anyone get Buscemied this weekend.....???

First saw this face rising slowly above the crowd, and it was the most awesome thing ever.

P1150839.jpg
    Coachella 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 (1&2), 13 (2), 14 (2)
    Lolla 03, 06, 07, 08
    Outside Lands 08, 10, 11, 12
    Nerd Project: www.coacheller.com

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/...r-ros-20120814

Solid review. "triumphantly ass-freezing weekend of mist, fog and music"
    3/20 The Temper Trap @The El Rey
    4/13 Coachella week 1
    4/17 Madeon @The Roxy
    4/19 Nero, Dillon Francis, Sub Focus @Club Nokia
    5/11 Le Castle Vania, Beta Traxx, Burn Unit @Avalon
    6/8 EDC Las Vegas
    6/15 The Temper Trap @the palladium
    8/3 Hard Summer night 1
    8/9 Outsidelands Music Festival
    9/1 FYF Fest, LA Historic Park
    9/9 Hot Chip, Passion Pit @the Hollywood Bowl
    10/25 Two Door Cinema Club @the Palladium
    10/27 The Presets @Club Nokia

Quote Originally Posted by eimie View Post
    First saw this face rising slowly above the crowd, and it was the most awesome thing ever.

P1150839.jpg
    hahahaha! yes...!!! a fellow boardie right behind me. and i had no idea....
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    My main issue was with the sound at all stages. It seemed like every set, with the possible exception of the main stage headliners, had some sort of sound issues. Not at any point was I instantly impressed with the sound like at Coachella at practically any stage. My other observation is that there's significantly more walking involved at OSL compared to Coachella, it's more Bonnaroo.
    Really? I think Coachella has major sound issues except for the mainstage headliners and subheadliners.
    "ain't no thang but a chicken wang"

only sound issues, aside from bleeding, ive ever had at Coachella were on the Outdoor.
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

Bleeding is a major issue for me because it totally kills the vibe. Plus, I don't think that any of the opening acts get good sound on the mainstage.

I think the best part of Coachella is the after dark acts, those always seem to be great.

Quote Originally Posted by eturnol View Post
    FRIDAY = Tanlines > Wallpaper > Reggie Watts > Fitz and the Tantrums > YACHT > Beck > Of Monsters and Men > Antibalas > MSTRKRFT > Neil Young > Justice
    SATURDAY = Zola Jesus > Animal Kingdom > Tame Impala > Father John Misty > Portugal the Man > Mimosa > Grandaddy > The Kills > Passion Pit > Metallica > Sigur Ros
    SUNDAY = Franz Ferdinand > Amadou and Miriam > Electric Guest > Santigold > Jack White > Bloc Party > Stevie Wonder
    You're doing it right.

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyMellow View Post
    You only see 5 bands a day so thats a bummer.
    Quote Originally Posted by lookalive24 View Post
    ... it was a little disappointing that I was only able to see about 5 bands a day.
    You're doing it wrong. (and I've seen more than just 2 people claim this)

Seriously, what time did you all make it to the festival? I got there around 1pm each day and easily saw 7-9 band each day, no problem. I wasn't running, I wasn't catching just one song in a set. You have only yourselves to blame for your time management issues.

As for all you bitching about the cold, have you not heard the famous Mark Twain quote "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco" (which he never actually said, btw)? How many people on these forums expressly advised you to dress warm and/or bring layers for the foggy, chilly nights? And don't say you don't have the time to read these forums - you're taking the time to bitch in here now, ain't ya?

I thought the festival was great. Great music, great food, great drink, great friends... Was it absolutely perfect? No, but to me, that's part of the charm. It doesn't detract from having a good time, unless you allow it to.

^ this

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fuzz View Post
    Really? I think Coachella has major sound issues except for the mainstage headliners and subheadliners.
    Incorrect. The sound at Coachella is, bar none, the best of any music festival in the country. Especially now that they finally took care of the notoriously awful sound at Outdoor.

Shame that OSL continues to struggle with sound. The irony is that they take such pride in the whole "Meyersound" patnership. Seems that is a better vendor for indoor venues.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

The sound in the tents at Coachella is better than the sound at most clubs i go to.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Wink Re: Outside Lands 2012

Quote Originally Posted by knotted_donuts View Post
    You're doing it right.

You're doing it wrong. (and I've seen more than just 2 people claim this)

Seriously, what time did you all make it to the festival? I got there around 1pm each day and easily saw 7-9 band each day, no problem. I wasn't running, I wasn't catching just one song in a set. You have only yourselves to blame for your time management.
    I hought the festival was great. Great music, great food, great drink, great friends... Was it absolutely perfect? No, but to me, that's part of the charm. It doesn't detract from having a good time, unless you allow it to.
    lol so you saw a bunch of bands that directly conflicted at a bunch of stages with shitty sound and large crowds which meant you left a third into a set missed about a quarter of the set you went to and watched another small set from the back of a chatty crowd. Yeah im doing it wrong hahahaha

What I did was have a great time. Guilty as charged.

I understand where some people are coming from in that they spent a boatload of money to attend this festival and when their expectations aren't met they feel disappointed. However I look at it this way: I put in the time and money commitment to have a great fucking time and that is exactly what I am going to do. I am not going to let certain expectations of mine that are not met detract in anyway from me having a great weekend, where I get to see great music with great friends, in one of the most beautiful parks in the world in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Here I go, reluctantly having to prove myself to some boardie. Perhaps some facts might help clarify my experience for you:

FRIDAY: White Denim > Sharon Van Etten > Reggie Watts > /Fitz > Beck > /Of Monsters and Men > /Foo Fighters > Neil Young
    SATURDAY: Zola Jesus > Tame Impala > Portugal/ > /Alabama Shakes > /Explosions > Thee Oh Sees > Passion Pit > Dr Dog > Sigur Ros
    SUNDAY: fun. > Trampled by Turtles > /Franz > Regina Spektor > Jack White > /Dispatch > Stevie Wonder
    * "/" designates if I had to miss the beginning or end of a set.

There you have it. Like I said, I did miss parts of sets, but as I weighted them based on my desire to see them, I never felt I was missing out on anything. The 3 biggest overlaps probably caused me to miss 45 minutes of Franz (whom I hadn't much desire to see at the time), 25 minutes of Fitz (also did not care), and 20 minutes of Alabama Shakes (okay, I was kinda bummed about that one, but I saw the latter half from a great spot on the hill on the right, which was less crowded). In retrospect, I would have caught more of Franz, but hindsight is 20/20... at least I caught the end.

As far as sound issues go, my girlfriend and I really only noticed issues at Passion Pit. The rest of the time was spent at the main stage (good sound throughout), on the immediate right of Sutro stage (close enough that wind chopping wasn't an issue), or at the Panhandle Stage (small enough crowd that we could easily get close). Food/drink/bathroom needs were taken care of during gaps, of which there were plenty to do so at a leisurely pace.

How about the chatty crowd? I'll admit, I kinda cheated on that end... I have some pretty nice custom ear plugs that eliminated most of that distraction. I really didn't notice it much.

Sometimes I forget that there is no talking allowed at concerts and share brief moments of conversation with my friends. Then I remember the no talking rule and I feel super bad for ruining it for all of you guys

Fuck that, I pay $300 to ruin other peoples concert experience for a weekend by blabbing about my new smart device. That is better than seeing any band in any venue.