Page 85 of 92 FirstFirst ... 8081828384858687888990 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,550 of 2749

Thread: Outside Lands 2012

Default Re: Outside Lands 2012

My left ear is all sorts of fucked up from this weekend. It is ringing like never before. This better go away.

Anyway sigur ros was amazing, the food was amazing, beer/wine lands was amazing. I wish there were more conflicts to spread the people out a little more.

There has to be a video of the end of the Franz set, that shit was fucking awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    Yea. OSL has its issues, but I feel like they try to create an experience that you can't get elsewhere (between the amazing food, beer/wine, setting, easy going staff). Even at the times I got irritated with people, they were not behaving ANY where as badly as crowds do at Coachella. It was nice to hang out with adults all weekend.
    The bus driver mentioned how well behaved everyone at the festival was. Even with the amount of people heavily intoxicated (me being one of them haha) or under the influence of some substance, there wasn't to much debauchery. I want to say that being in San Francisco might just be the deciding factor on the maturity level of those attending. Everyone just behaved, I didn't have a single bad experience with anyone at the festival. I met a lot of great people, many who from outside the country like folks from Ireland, France, Brazil, Germany, and elsewhere.

With that said, saw the first half of Stevie Wonder's set which was amazing. Caught the whole set of Sigur Ros... epic! Franz Ferdinand, to me, was the biggest surprise of the festival. Fucking fantastic performance! Justice was the best EDM act. Saw bits of their set in between walking back and forth to the main stage to watch Neil Young. Caught skrillex cuz the girlfriend wanted to dance, but I think as a whole he is just very lackluster as is the dubstep genre as a whole. Things got weird at the barbery, and beerlands had a great selection. My complaint though, is why are you forcing people to buy booklets of $10 when the beer is being sold by what is a denominator of 3. I ended up buying $90 worth of tickets which back fired because i found myself constantly going out of my way to go to the beerlands tent for beer which was inconvenient. And when everything ran out on Sunday, I just started grabbing whatever beer was left so I didnt waste my tickets. Lesson learned, though and I'll know better for next year.

Overall, good weekend. If there is a heaven, it would be like Outside Lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Bowie View Post
    Grandaddy unfortunately is bleak odds. I couldn't see them at the Independent last night due to driving back and showing up to work at 8 this morning. I don't imagine they'll be touring again. Hewlett's Daughter will now forever haunt me.
    I don't want to give you false hope, but I'm going to anyways...

I saw Grandaddy at the Independent, they were amazing, Jason Lytle was talking to the crowd a bunch between songs, and something he thanked us for was the overwhelmingly positive response to this "warm up" before a tour that they are going to doing in Europe soon, he said it was really encouraging. That being said, I think the whole band really loved the energy of the crowd, and I could see them wanting to play in their home state some more.

The dust in between stages definitely did me in. I had been battling the onset of a cold all weekend and between the dust and the weather, I'm done. I feel like death.

The festival did turn around for me though on Sunday, I had such a good time, and it seemed like there was a lot less talking. Also, they must have had a lot of people jumping the fence cus it was incredibly crowded on Sunday. I think the festival has grown too big for its venue, especially if it continues to sell out.
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Coachella will come out of the closet announcing it's gay. Most will applaud it while some will sell their passes.

Awesome time, yet again.
    "It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge"

old school

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyMellow View Post
    http://thefestivalguy.com/

this guy does a decent summary
    "After drinking coconut water at all of my festivals this year my brain completely associates the taste of it with festivals. When coconut water touches my lips there is a wave of happy that passes over me. My body has been trained that if I am drinking it I must be happy because this is what music festivals taste like. Delicious, nutritious, coconut goodness."
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    I saw one positive review of Grandaddy on here, anyone else see them and how were they? I was stoked they were on the lineup and hope to hell they come down here for a show.
    They put on a very solid set. You could tell they were still working it out with the soundboard guy until about halfway into the second song, but by the end of the second song, they had it dialed. Jason Lytle even quipped at how pleasantly surprised he was with the sound, thinking it wasn't really going to work out like he hoped but it did. I think they could have easily fit in 2 more songs, but I'm not going to knock them. I had a spot about 15 feet in front of the soundboard and had plenty of space around me.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Yeah, Grandaddy were perfect. I was so happy to get to see them.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Great festival! I would definitely do it again. I got slightly claustrophobic on Saturday afternoon around the time Big Boi was playing. It got to the point where I couldn't move and figure out which direction I was going. I literally jumped into a vendor line to get my wits about me. It probably had a little to do with the edible I had. Other than that it seems Outside Lands does most things right that a big city festival should do. The large crowd and set talkers were the only downfalls for my experience. I liked how spread out the festival was and the variety of food, wine, beer, chocoloate and lamb lands. I never made it to see any comedy. The weather was fantastic, shorts and t-shirt during the day with a sweatshirt at night. The fog and mist was perfect and made Sigur Ros feel right at home. Sigor Ros and Neil Young were easily the two best sets of the weekend and they aren't really cmoparable in any way. The Sigur Ros set was beautiful and artistic and at one point the smoke on their screens combined with the fog rolling through made the experience surreal. Neil Young on the other hand put Rock & Roll clinic as only a legend of his stature is capable. He was molesting that guitar and seemed at home with Crazy Horse at his side. Stevie Wonder was slightly disappointing and a little preachy but you kind of expect that going into a Stevie Wonder show. I enjoyed the hits that the Foo Fighters played but for the most part Grohl and his band are not my taste. Beck was boring, the highlights were the Sea Change songs but he is a shell of the performer he was 10 years ago and Reggie Watts is one hell of an all around entertainer! Sharon Van Etten, Trampled By Turtles and even Mimosa get honorable mentions. I only caught the end of Tame Impala, I wish I would have seen more.

I used the ESurance shuttle and it was reliable all weekend long. Saturday night was the only time I had to wait to get on a shuttle and it was about a 30 min. wait. I'm excited to go back next year.

Coachella Junkie

Grandaddy sounded absolutely amazing at the Indy. They'll be touring some more barring a complete meltdown.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Grandaddy sounded absolutely amazing at the Indy. They'll be touring some more barring a complete meltdown.
    Did you catch them at Outsidelands?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Coachella Junkie

Didn't go to OSL on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by westernwarrior View Post
    I don't want to keep bringing this up, but the people talking during performances was really bad this year.
    Is this something that seems more common at big city festivals? Where people come more for the event itself than for the music since it's just a short drive or walk from home? The fests you have to travel to the middle of nowhere for seem to bring more people out for the actual bands since you have to drive, camp, and put up with a lot more to be a part of the weekend. Just something I've noticed people comment on a bit.

Yes. People at OSL are pretty damn chatty, especially after they've been pounding grape.

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Agreed, they blew away my already high expectations. While they were very appreciative of the crowd and sounded incredible, I still kind of got the feeling they weren't super into it. I think this may end up being kind of like the Pixies reunion.
    10/12/14 Gerard Way - the Fillmore
    11/07/14 The Matches - Slim's
    11/08/14 The Matches - Slim's
    11/09/14 Julian Casablancas + the Voidz - Regency Ballroom
    11/17/14 Bastille - Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    11/23/14 Sky Ferreira - the Independent

^there do seem to be a disproportionately large number of completely disinterested hip cats in this city with money to burn. why not go burn it at a festival in the park? i mean, if not Golden Gate Park they woulda been doing the same thing at Dolores Park...

Coachella Junkie

Millenials. Am I right?

Sigur Ros setlist pulled from setlist.com:

═ GŠr
    Var˙­
    Svefn-g-englar
    SŠglˇpur
    Festival
    Olsen Olsen
    HoppÝpolla
    Me­ Blˇ­nasir
    Hafsˇl
    Popplagi­

Tame Impala did at least four new live ones. There was one that we were all calling the Black Sabbath song afterwards: it reminded me of Fairies Wear Boots, and it was awesome. They did both of the songs they'd already put out and one other one I'd not heard that I can recall. Everything was really good and a bit darker than the first album. I do agree that they would be incredible with the right stage show.

I listened to Grandaddy some in college, and was so pleasantly shocked to find how many songs of theirs I knew. Corinna told me that her and her brother were sitting near the group of people high fiving and acting like idiots. My immediate reaction was that I would never be able to find her based on that, but lo and behold, it was the perfect description. We were fairly close on the hill, so I had no issues with the sound whatsoever. They were bright and loud, and the keyboards were delightfully old-school sounding. I don't really know the names of tracks from them, but I recognized a decent amount of the Sophtware Slump, which was really great. I was pleasantly surprised with the whole set.

Another huge surprise for me was Zola Jesus. She can REALLY sing live. She was up first on the second day and her crowd was tiny, but it didn't deter her whatsoever. She belted the whole time, and her backing tracks reminded me of really good darkwave. I was highly impressed and will now make an effort to see her again.

And once again, because it deserves mention and because people haven't been really saying much, Neil Young was just gigantic. He was so ugly and so fearsome on stage, and the music fit perfectly. Encoring with Mr. Soul and Roll Another Number was a great touch, and I was so ecstatic to hear Powderfinger live. He is one of my favorite artists, and the set he played was exactly what I could have hoped for from him: loud, antagonistic and completely Neil Young. I'm probably going to see him at the bowl now.
    YES! I was thinking exactly the same thing: how damn ugly he was, but such a talent! Also, I saw you, Bryan, during Zola Jesus with your dad, but I was moving up for Tame Impala. I made the mistake of going up front. Guess what? I couldn't see a goddamn thing up there on the left rail because of the center stage walkway thing. That was lame. Did you happen to see me in the crowd shots during Tame Impala? I loved their set, and I am trying to figure out a way to see them in LA for their upcoming tour.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Glad so many of you enjoyed Sigur Ros.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town
    DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater

Vodka, anyone?

Sigur Ros was possibly the best set of the weekend, if not from Franz Ferdinand. Franz mashed up Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" with "Can't Stop Feeling" from their third album. Both Salah and I could hear the I Feel Love synth groove when Alex starting singing the lyrics to "Can't Stop Feeling," and we both cheered ecstatically when our suspicions were realized. What a great moment that was. I need to see them again.

But back to Sigur Ros: they played tinkly, slowly building fairy music while Metallica had big booming explosions and fireworks in the background. Somehow it worked in spite of that. It was a great set, and I loved the light show and background videos with the blinky star lights and fog. So lovely.

When the pyro/fireworks went off at Metallica and I was at Sigur Ros I thought someone had gone on a shooting spree and started scoping out potential escape routes and figuring out who near me would work best as a body shield.

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Security was pretty lax. Everybody got their weed in. Who's to say someone didn't get a gun in?

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Sigur Ros was possibly the best set of the weekend, if not from Franz Ferdinand. Franz mashed up Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" with "Can't Stop Feeling" from their third album. Both Salah and I could hear the I Feel Love synth groove when Alex starting singing the lyrics to "Can't Stop Feeling," and we both cheered ecstatically when our suspicions were realized. What a great moment that was. I need to see them again.

But back to Sigur Ros: they played tinkly, slowly building fairy music while Metallica had big booming explosions and fireworks in the background. Somehow it worked in spite of that. It was a great set, and I loved the light show and background videos with the blinky star lights and fog. So lovely.
    Sigur Ros was a little too emotional/overwhelming for me at the time. Metallica was exactly the right amount of dumb bombast.
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    YES! I was thinking exactly the same thing: how damn ugly he was, but such a talent! Also, I saw you, Bryan, during Zola Jesus with your dad, but I was moving up for Tame Impala. I made the mistake of going up front. Guess what? I couldn't see a goddamn thing up there on the left rail because of the center stage walkway thing. That was lame. Did you happen to see me in the crowd shots during Tame Impala? I loved their set, and I am trying to figure out a way to see them in LA for their upcoming tour.
    I spotted you right as you were heading forward during Zola Jesus. We moved up to be in line with Ed, Heidi and the group and had a great view the whole time. Definitely try to make it for their actual show: they are more impressive in a venue where they can get loud and let the lights go.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

festival was fucking amazing this year. cold but amazing. neil young, metallica and stevie wonder were all great and so many other highlights. it was crowded but the vibe was great for a city festival. ready for next year. its getting better!

The murder capital where we murder for capital

This year was my first visit to the festival. Those of you who have been multiple years, can you share some of the improvements that you have seen over the years?

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Is this something that seems more common at big city festivals? .
    This has been my experience. Which is why I don't go to city festivals any more.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths