Page 84 of 92 FirstFirst ... 7980818283848586878889 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,520 of 2749

Thread: Outside Lands 2012

Default Re: Outside Lands 2012

Well I'm home.

Neil Young was without a doubt my favorite set of the festival. Opening with an 18-minute Love And Only Love that was just so grinding and loud, blasting 10 minutes of pure fucking noise to a gigantic crowd, and a smattering of some of his best songs pretty much ensured that I was going to be pleased. Him and Crazy Horse looked pissed and determined through the whole set, and they played some great music. Don't listen to the naysayers.

I agreed with Eric in regards to Stevie Wonder: I felt like it was too unstructured and cover heavy, even though he had moments of brilliance. My least favorite of the three headliner sets. Metallica were a blast, and it was great to warm up every once in awhile with the pyro. I really liked Beck, Foo Fighters and Jack White, and agree that the Kills were lackluster. Amadou and Mariam, fun. and White Denim were quite entertaining as well.

The bathroom lines were only super long if you went to the few that everyone was going to. There were other portopotties that had no lines all weekend. And, the woods. Yeah, it was crowded, but I never felt as tightly packed in as I have at Coachella. Also, on Sunday the line was insanely long to get in (probably 1/2 mile) but I got in within 20 minutes of getting in line. And I LOVED the weather; it felt so good after all the heat we've been suffering through.

I've felt done with Coachella for awhile now, and Outside Lands may have just convinced me that I can still do big festivals.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyMellow View Post
    http://thefestivalguy.com/

this guy does a decent summary
    That guy fucking sucks.

edit: well said bmack.
    Last edited by ods..; 08-13-2012 at 05:15 PM.

I fed a ground squirrel grapes during Amadou & Miriam.

10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival
    10/22: Roman Flugel @ f8
    10/25: Moodymann @ PW
    11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyMellow View Post
    http://thefestivalguy.com/

this guy does a decent summary
    Franz exceded my expectations by a good ways.
    I stopped reading.

Did you only see a little Farina and then go to A & M? I missed them for Farina. I had a great time in the dome, but that was really the only time where I felt angry with the crowd. Tons of drunk idiots stumbling through the dark, screaming to each other while I'm trying to get my groove on. Farina threw down though

I actually made the mistake of stepping out of the dome to try and use the bathroom before Farina started and was then too lazy to get back in the long line to get in so ran into some people at Winelands for Amadou. The crowd in the dome was great during Papp, but it definitely seemed to be starting to full up with some slops. I had my rave face on though so I can't really be a judge of character.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I've felt done with Coachella for awhile now, and Outside Lands may have just convinced me that I can still do big festivals.
    Yea. OSL has its issues, but I feel like they try to create an experience that you can't get elsewhere (between the amazing food, beer/wine, setting, easy going staff). Even at the times I got irritated with people, they were not behaving ANY where as badly as crowds do at Coachella. It was nice to hang out with adults all weekend.

Aside from Sigur Ros, my next top three most desirable acts of the weekend all played at the same time Sat (Explosions, Big Boi, Grandaddy). Saw until ten minutes left in Explosions to run all the way to Twin Peaks to catch ten minutes of Big Boi (who was fucking killing it) to run all the way back to Grandaddy who had ended ten minutes early and I didn't catch a single note. Kind of heartbreaking. Glad I finally saw Explosions live, but really hoping to catch Big Boi in his own club show eventually. Too crowded, could barely see him. Grandaddy unfortunately is bleak odds. I couldn't see them at the Independent last night due to driving back and showing up to work at 8 this morning. I don't imagine they'll be touring again. Hewlett's Daughter will now forever haunt me.

On the positive, Sigur Ros was a bucketlister and I was able to get right up to the stage for them. I had unbelievable expectations for them and they were met. I had been waiting since high school to see them and now I'm just hungry for more. I couldn't have done it better as far as that show goes.

Question about the Stevie Wonder set. For the cover of "The Way You Make Me Feel", was that Stevie on vocals or one of his backup vocalists? For "Human Nature" at Glasto, it was the latter. Not sure why someone like him would need to do so many covers, but I bet it was a lot of fun, and it would have been great to hear "As", "Isn't She Lovely", and "My Cherie Amour" since he didn't do those at Glastonbury.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

Big Boi did more and that's not the right order (to the setlist question). What I remember (not the right order either):

ATLiens
    Rosa Parks
    So Fresh So Clean
    Mrs. Jackson
    General Patton
    Gossip
    Kryptonite
    Shine Blockas
    Follow Us
    Daddy Fat Sax
    The Way You Move
    Ghetto Musick
    B.O.B.
    Shutterbug

Definitely not the right order, and he may have played even more. Shortened versions, and verses here and there but it was a fun set. Quiet, but I was far back. If i was close it would have been awesome.

Also, hearing "As" was fucking incredible.
    Last edited by ods..; 08-13-2012 at 06:43 PM.

I almost wonder if I went to the same festival as some of you. I felt Sutro and Twin Peaks stages were basically useless. If you tried to get anywhere close you had to deal with groups of 8-10 people plowing through the crowds when there was clearly nowhere to go. Getting between stages at night was a nightmare unto itself because of the crowding, then when you got to the stages you had to deal with getting pushed, bumped into, etc the ENTIRE TIME. People all around me were talking, talking, talking, talking to the point that I wondered why they were even there. I know this can happen anywhere but it seemed far worse here, and I wasn’t even getting that close to any of the stages. Nobody had any sense of space. I think they were unprepared for a sell-out and packed way too many people in park. This happened every day, and as early as 4 pm.

If you didn't get close you couldn't hear anything. The sound was so bad it was as if it was run by amateurs who didn't do soundchecks at these two stages. I know it wasn't just me as several others I knew there had similar complaints and the consensus amongst professional reviewers is that the festival was way too crowded. After the first two days I didn't bother with anything but the main stage, where the crowding was minimal and the sound was fine. For the record, these are not issues I experienced AT ALL last year.

Now that I’ve gotten my bitching out of the way, I thought the best act of the weekend was Sigur Ros. Never saw them before and they blew my mind basically from the beginning. The shuttles were overall pretty good and I had zero problems getting in and out of the festival. The security there is so lax it's a joke, which is nice. Oh, and I had no bathroom issues. People need to learn not to go to the first porta-potty they see. There's a lot of them and not all of them were crowded. It was far too cold for me, but the fog definitely added a unique atmosphere.

In my book Outside Lands is miles behind Coachella. Ends earlier, less stages, worse sound, worse lineups (IMO), worse weather (again, IMO), more crowded, less facilities, no wristbands, bros bringing alcohol to the stages and not being confined to beer gardens, no camping, no screens at anything but the main, and less conflicts = more crowding around the good acts. Beer and food isn't really my thing at festivals, so that advantage is meaningless to me, especially when I can go to San Francisco and have some of the best food in the world. I feel like I'm writing a completely horrible review here, which is unfair; but I didn't have the best festival experience, and I don't plan on going back next year because of it. It’s still an awesome festival and I would recommend somebody go and check it out, but I’d do another big fest I never tried before instead of going back next year.
    Last edited by Bons222000; 08-13-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Really enjoyed the acts I saw at the Sutro Stage this weekend. Once you got past the soundboard it opened up in the pit. The Walkmen, City and Colours, and Alabma Shakes were all solid.

My first year and I had a blast!

Everyone's gripes and personal experiences are valid, but it's so strange to me that people like to use one festival as a barometer for other festivals. You have to approach OSL in a completely different way than you would approach Coachella and I feel like that's somewhat obvious.

Just got home from Frisco, this festival was sick. Metallica, Jack White, Portugal, Foo Fighters, Franz, Morello, Of Monsters and Men and Justice tore it up. Stevie and Beck were good, the crowd for him was insanely large. Beer lands was fucking awesome, Bacon Bacon, the lamb place and Senior Sisig were delicious. The only gripe I had was the dust got a little out of control and set my allergies off. I had bloodshot eyes and was sneezing all weekend, I'm sure the alcohol didn't help with that. The traffic and congestion after the festival was a little ridiculous too, definitely wish there was camping there.

A few notes.

Metallica's one was probably the best live song performance I've ever seen.

Franz Ferdinand was probably the biggest surprise of the festival for me, I enjoy their music but holy shit they were amazing live. Same with Foo Fighters, Dave Grohl has an absurd amount of energy and passion.
    Last edited by Corona89; 08-13-2012 at 07:41 PM.

I'm pissed that I missed Jack Whites secret show right next to choco lands, me and my buddy walked by when it happened and saw a shit ton of people, we didn't think anything of it. A few minutes later we got to Beer Lands and I saw a picture of it by Portugal on Instagram, by the time we got back it was over =[

This was my fourth year and if not my favorite then my second favorite. Yeah it had some issues but it's been a lot better then it has been in the past. I personally never felt crowded, but then again I prefer to stay farther back so I have more room to dance then being close to the stage. Also I never had to wait more then 5 minutes to use the bathroom. All you had to do was walk to ones not near stages and you were fine. And for everyone complaining about seeing less acts per day just keep in mind that it's over by 10, but most importantly on average you have longer set times then Coachella.

On Friday got there in the middle of Fitz and Tantrums and then decided to move to the dome to dance some as I knew I wasn't really going to be able to get into it. Then I went to Beck. It was super disappointing to me. I mean it wasn't bad it just was a very average set. Don't know if it was just a bad show for him or if he just isn't really that great of a musician without recorded production. Then waited for the Foo Fighters and they were awesome. After the fact I wish they would have only given Beck 60 instead of 70 mins and given more times to the Foo's. It was my first time seeing them. I've always wanted to see them but never felt like I should pay to see them at their own show, I now realize that is a must for me. Highlight was when they play Aurora, one of my favorite songs from them so that was a great surprise. After the Foo's went to catch the rest of Andrew Bird. He was good he just really isn't my thing. Then it was NYCH. Only thing I can say about that was "wow."

Saturday was planning on getting there for Tame Impala. Due to some outside issues, didn't even get to the park until about half way through their set. And then Saturday was the day they decided to filter people through, which probably was the right thing to do but made a line go back a few blocks. However it was moving at a steady pace and only took about 20 mins. Walked around and explored some more and then saw Portugal. The Man. This was my fifth time seeing them and they never fail to put on a good show. After that walked around some and then headed over to the Barbury to try and go see the Nerdist Variety with NPH, saw that line and realzied it wasn't happening. That was about 30 mins prior to the start I would have loved to seen what the line looked like at 5. Decided to see Big Boi. He could have been the set of the weekend if the sound wasn't so bad. I'm sure part of it was my fault in where I was standing (10 feet in front of the back speaker). Then did half of Thee Oh Sees and then half of the Kills. Then came the biggest conflict of the weekend and decided on Metallica (was leaning towards them to begin with but the bad sound at Big Boi confirmed it for me) and they fucking owned it. Best set of the weekend for me.

Sunday started off with Nightwatchmen. Toms guitar playing ability makes it OK to put up with shitty signing voice. Then ending where he brought everyone on stage with him was pretty sweet. I tried to go up but saw how many people where trying to so I gave up. Franz Ferdinand fucking owned it, that's all I really have to say about that. After them went to winelands because there wasn't anything I really wanted to see until Jack White. This was my 4th OSL and my first time doing winelands and I sort of have to ask myself why I haven't done it before. Jack White was great like I was expecting him to be. After him went to Dispatch and had a surprisingly great time. I never realized how many songs of theirs I know. Stevie was great and a fucking dance party. Plus I found him to be pretty funny on stage. I just didn't get why he did so many covers and his song order seemed kind of strange to me, but damn he can still sing.

Overall another great year of OSL and I plan on keeping to continue with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

I seem to agree with what most of you are saying about the negative aspects of the festival. (The crowding, the talking, the lackluster sound quality on the stages, etc.) But overall I had a good time this weekend, although I wouldn't say it was better than the previous 2 years I've been to this festival. The flaws really seemed to show this year.

I don't want to keep bringing this up, but the people talking during performances was really bad this year. I've rarely ever had this problem before at shows, but for some reason the folks at OSL can't seem to hold off on a pointless conversation for an hour or so when a band is on stage performing. Bloc Party and Washed Out were the worst when it came to the talkers.

Now that I've gotten that off of my chest, I'll get to the things I liked about this year.

Metallica was great as always for me. Stevie was just wonderful, I don't think I've ever seen so many genuinely happy people having a good time. Foo Fighters and Beck put on two awesome sets back to back. Washed Out really surprised me with his live show (different than I was expecting, but very laid back and perfect for the atmosphere.) Regina Spektor had everyone around me emotional. Jack White, EITS, and Tame Impala were other highlights as well.

The food was awesome as always. The Gilroy Garlic Mac & Cheese and the Lamb Gyro were my favorites. Beer Lands was a great addition. The Barbary really improved this year, although I only went in once. (I heard the line to see NPH was ridiculous.)

Overall a good, fun weekend. Although I wouldn't say I had a spectacular time. I'm a bit skeptical if I will return next year, but I'm sure by the time tickets go on sale, I will have forgotten most of the negative aspects about this year and be willing to return next year.
    Last edited by westernwarrior; 08-13-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Everyone's gripes and personal experiences are valid, but it's so strange to me that people like to use one festival as a barometer for other festivals. You have to approach OSL in a completely different way than you would approach Coachella and I feel like that's somewhat obvious.
    You're right but with the solid lineup that they put together I didn't expect to hear complaints about the sound issues and what not. Still bummed that I couldn't go this year tho and will be going next year.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

I have zero regrets about leaving Sigur Ros early and ending up at Metallica.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

I saw one positive review of Grandaddy on here, anyone else see them and how were they? I was stoked they were on the lineup and hope to hell they come down here for a show.

Melted my face off at Skrillex

I loved Grandaddy. It was empty and was the perfect mid day set as I drank a large Mischief!
    Last edited by Justin170; 08-13-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I have zero regrets about leaving Sigur Ros early and ending up at Metallica.
    Wow. Sigur Ros was the set of the weekend for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

Did anybody catch Tame Impala? What do their new songs sound like?

My top 5:

Michael Kiwanuka
    Neil Young
    Sigur Ros
    Stevie Wonder
    Big Boi

HM: Mark Farina, Beck, Antibalas, Reggie Watts

Pissed I had to miss Grandaddy and Amadou and Mariam but other than that I had a pretty conflict free weekend. Panhandle was my favorite stage by far; great sound up close and easy to get to the front. Main was also great this weekend. I like Sutro a lot but they need to stop putting bands like Alabama Shakes (2012) and Foster the People (2011) on that stage. Stupid scheduling there.

Also, every stage could benefit with screens, but definitely Twin Peaks and Sutro. Big Boi could have been a little higher on the list if I could have seen that dude better! Ran over from the end of Michael Kiwanuka to catch his full set as well. Great hour and a half. Kiwanuka and his band captivated me completely. They played a cover of Hendrix's May This Be Love that never seemed to end. So fucking good.

Yeah the lack of video boards and speaker towers is puzzling especilly for a sold out fest. Really could have improved the experience for many.

1. Alabama Shakes
    2. Metallica
    3. Neil Young
    4. Jack White
    5. The Walkmen

HM: Wolfgang Gartner, Stevie Wonder

Quote Originally Posted by ambient sounds View Post
    Did anybody catch Tame Impala? What do their new songs sound like?
    I think I remember one or maybe two new songs, sounded pretty cool, more psychedelic stoner rock goodness.

Kind of disappointed they didn't play that new Fleetwood Mac cover that has been getting a lot of spin on KCRW lately.

Went all three days and I can say that I'm satisfied with my experience there. I was hoping that the sun would come out but that didn't happen (a big negative for me, but that's out of anyone's control). I progressively had less fun each day though, which was probably due to overcrowding, logistics and loss of novelty. I ended up leaving halfway through Stevie to beat the traffic and I don't regret my decision at all. Stevie was pretty shitty imo. Too much political mumbo jumbo and not enough cohesiveness. I agree that Twin Peaks could use an upgrade in the audio and visual department (speakers by the fences, close to the middle would be keen).

The lineup was killer this year. Neil Young tripped me the hell out on Friday with his 10 minute droning of the guitar but his set was still fantastic. Caught the last 20 minutes of Justice which was quite impressive. Split MSTRKRFT with the Foo which was fine by me. Foo was what I expected and MSTRKRFT was a fun place to reunite with my coachella buddies from 09. Die Antwoord although weird as fuck was actually a lot of fun and quite catchy. I was kinda pissed the walkmen were late.

Saturday was my only full day. Tame Impala was a great way to start the day.I Passion Pit was packed and surprisingly good. I thought their lead singer was notorious for ruining sets but he held his own. Explosions was great music to chill too... Mimosa Fucking killed it! Best dance set of the weekend for sure. I caught the first 25 minutes of metallica then I trekked it with my group to sigur ros which was the best decision of the fest. The ppl I was with didn't have the attention span to enjoy sigur so they left and I got up close and personal. The final 20 minutes was pure bliss, and I can't thank you guys enough for introducing these wonderful musicians to me through these forums.

Sunday I took the time to walk around away from the group and just check things out. I didn't eat inside the park the first two days so i had to indulge myself. Korean tacos and lamb gyros were bomb. Jack White, City & Colour and Franz Ferdinand all stood out (loved how franz closed their set). Jack White especially. I can't believe he played Catch Hell Blues -> Seven Nation. One of the best moments of the fest for sure.

In conclusion My top 5 acts were:
    1. Sigur Ros
    2. Neil Young/ Justice
    3. Jack White
    4. Mimosa
    5. Franz Ferdinand
    Last edited by WhatLies; 08-13-2012 at 10:08 PM.

Tame Impala did at least four new live ones. There was one that we were all calling the Black Sabbath song afterwards: it reminded me of Fairies Wear Boots, and it was awesome. They did both of the songs they'd already put out and one other one I'd not heard that I can recall. Everything was really good and a bit darker than the first album. I do agree that they would be incredible with the right stage show.

I listened to Grandaddy some in college, and was so pleasantly shocked to find how many songs of theirs I knew. Corinna told me that her and her brother were sitting near the group of people high fiving and acting like idiots. My immediate reaction was that I would never be able to find her based on that, but lo and behold, it was the perfect description. We were fairly close on the hill, so I had no issues with the sound whatsoever. They were bright and loud, and the keyboards were delightfully old-school sounding. I don't really know the names of tracks from them, but I recognized a decent amount of the Sophtware Slump, which was really great. I was pleasantly surprised with the whole set.

Another huge surprise for me was Zola Jesus. She can REALLY sing live. She was up first on the second day and her crowd was tiny, but it didn't deter her whatsoever. She belted the whole time, and her backing tracks reminded me of really good darkwave. I was highly impressed and will now make an effort to see her again.

And once again, because it deserves mention and because people haven't been really saying much, Neil Young was just gigantic. He was so ugly and so fearsome on stage, and the music fit perfectly. Encoring with Mr. Soul and Roll Another Number was a great touch, and I was so ecstatic to hear Powderfinger live. He is one of my favorite artists, and the set he played was exactly what I could have hoped for from him: loud, antagonistic and completely Neil Young. I'm probably going to see him at the bowl now.