Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hopscotch 2012

Default Hopscotch 2012

Raleigh, September 6-8, 2012.

Wristbands go on sale December 1 for the general public, and November 30 for previous attendees. Wristbands are $110 for GA, and $165 for VIP. The lineup for Hopscotch 2012 will be announced April 18, 2012.

link.

Default Re: Hopscotch 2012

Lineup is out, and it's pretty impressive...

http://hopscotchmusicfest.com/

This is a fantastic lineup.

what catches yall's eyes the most about the lineup? Im like 2 and a half hours from Raleigh and was just there last weekend to see Real Estate (for free from Hopscotch no less). Just curious what bands stand out the most for yall because im on the fence about going to this.

Solid lineup again. Last year was great fun. I'd be all over it if I was 2.5 hrs away.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Quote Originally Posted by kneuller View Post
    what catches yall's eyes the most about the lineup? Im like 2 and a half hours from Raleigh and was just there last weekend to see Real Estate (for free from Hopscotch no less). Just curious what bands stand out the most for yall because im on the fence about going to this.
    The Jesus & Mary Chain, Liars, Zola Jesus, Thee Oh Sees, Death Grips, Sunn O))).
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town
    DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater

Everything Dale said plus: Baroness, Valient Thorr, Vattnet Viskar, Atlas Moth, Pallbearer, Danny Brown, Colin Stetson, Corrosion of Conformity

I am scheming to figure out some way to go to this and ATP, this is what a festival I put on would look like
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

I didn't see that Baroness was on there. Nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town
    DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater

Started listening to a few of the bands I didnt know like Liars and Death Grips and began to get excited. Mentioned it to the girlfriend and she said it looked cool and then asked whats the date. She then responded "oh thats when so and so's wedding is." Fuck getting older.

" The Mountain Goats, for instance, will play a solo set in Fletcher Opera Theater—first, a set of rarities on acoustic guitar, followed by John Darnielle’s first-ever all-covers set, featuring heavy metal numbers played on piano"

Could be cool.

Whoa. That's one of the best lineups this year top to bottom.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

This is an amazing lineup. Definitely thinking about going.

For those who have gone before: how many acts can you really catch per night? I notice shows generally start around 8:30, so that doesn't make me optimistic that I would get to see much of the lineup.

A lot of shows start earlier than that, plus later they will announce even more acts for the day shows (caught The Men, The Rosebuds and Youth Lagoon at day shows last year).
    A few of the day shows had free beer too, which was a plus.
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Sweet, thanks for the info. I also looked at the schedule from last year which helped. Today I requested and got the whole week of labor day off work, so I bought my ticket and booked a hotel. Haven't bought my plane ticket yet as I think I might spend a couple days in DC too, and also because I'm hoping the airfare cost will go down over the next month.

Definitely very much looking forward to this!

I just made a hotel reservation because there is a possibility that I will be living in DC this fall.

ChrisofHal, that Clarion was ok, right? Now too sketchy or gross or anything?

Lurker

I'm going to Hopscotch for the first time this year, coming from NYC. Is there any reason to get down there the night before, or should I just aim to arrive late morning on 9/6? Flights appear to be inexpensive so I could afford an extra night in the hotel if there was stuff going on the night of 9/5 or early on 9/6.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    I just made a hotel reservation because there is a possibility that I will be living in DC this fall.

ChrisofHal, that Clarion was ok, right? Now too sketchy or gross or anything?
    Er, scratch that. Moving to Seattle. This is not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by set&setting View Post
    I'm going to Hopscotch for the first time this year, coming from NYC. Is there any reason to get down there the night before, or should I just aim to arrive late morning on 9/6? Flights appear to be inexpensive so I could afford an extra night in the hotel if there was stuff going on the night of 9/5 or early on 9/6.
    If I remember correctly, nothing really happens on the first day until around 5pm. No need to arrive early unless you want some good Carolina style barbeque and relaxation time.

Lurker

Thanks for the help. I'm going to fly in on Thursday.

Lurker

One more question if I can bother you, Courtney, what's the best source of information on the day shows (which I assume are mostly unofficial)? I've searched but haven't found like a Raleigh version of BrooklynVegan.

Hopscotch schedule is up.

set&setting, sorry for the delayed response to your question, but the Hopscotch people will compile a list of all the day shows. That is the best source of information.

Bummed about some conflicts, particularly that I'll miss Laurel Halo, but overall looks good. Courtney, is it possible to see partial sets, or am i likely to be locked out due to capacity issues if I try to go in a venue mid set?

I had one show over the whole weekend (Lower Dens at Kings) that I couldn't get into. That said, it was more that there was a queue and I'd rather watch a whole set elsewhere than queue to see a partial set.

Are the day shows ever played by artists also playing at night, or is it all different bands?

Damn... Oren Ambarchi/Laurel Halo/Colin Stetson conflict... Those were my top 3 must sees.

I remember it being all different bands, but I could be wrong (mainly due to the free beer).

Yes, there was some overlap. But it is mostly different bands. Last year, I remember the Rosebuds and John Vanderslice both did day and evening sets.

And the line at Kings was horrendous. I missed out on the beginning of Lower Dens, but I went back about half way into the set and watched the end. If I remember correctly, I also had a very difficult time getting into Braids, Dinosaur Feathers and Future Islands due to capacity issues. And The Love Language was impossible and had a line around the block for their set at the theater -- at least 200 people got shut out of that show.

If there was one thing I would do differently at future Hopscotch Fests, it would be to buy VIP tickets to avoid having to wait in line. There's just too much good music going on to have to waste time.

Yeah, unfortunately VIP was sold out this year before I even knew what Hopscotch was. And i bought in April.

There are 800 3-day passes left.