Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First REM and now Sonic Youth......

old school

Default Re: First REM and now Sonic Youth......

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking a mix of touring constantly, being innovative and being consistent. There are people who would argue that SY dropped off in the 90s, but I disagree with that. Whereas Neil had a patch in the 80s where he couldn't do anything right (and it's NOT the era that Geffen sued him over).
    What Neil RECORDED and what Neil RELEASED in the 80's are mutually exclusive discussions.

I'd still say he was releasing innovative genre experiement albums, film projects and charity events in the 80's.

What SY do in the past decade that was hugely innovative or influential? i aks because I don't really follow their albums, but read reviews here and there.

Yo La Tengo?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    What Neil RECORDED and what Neil RELEASED in the 80's are mutually exclusive discussions.

I'd still say he was releasing innovative genre experiement albums, film projects and charity events in the 80's.

What SY do in the past decade that was hugely innovative or influential? i aks because I don't really follow their albums, but read reviews here and there.
    I think the genre experiments are decent to good. Old Ways is killer, Trans is really fascinating, but then he went and did Everybody's Rocking, Landing on Water and This Note's For You. They're crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I was going to argue for Springsteen, but then I remembered that 1989 through 1994 happened.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

I would say The Cure, just on instinct, although nobody really likes their recent output: the self-titled record (which I do) or 4:13 Dream (which I don't).

Yo La Tengo doesn't count until James McNew join the band, let's be honest.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I can't comment on how SY were live in the 80s. Or even the 90s.*

But Sonic Nurse was certainly not a great album. I don't think I'd call Rather Ripped one either. They're both good but... shit.

Also I am shocked at the "stronger songs in their third decade" nonsense.

Sonic Youth have ebbed and flowed; I can't say they've always stayed innovative and relevant but they frequently re-ignite the fire and have a creative/reinvention streak. That's why they're great.

I am not actually in a tiny minority here, right? Loving them for me is more or less all about loving their music and the breadth of material they put out.

*I'd even have a hard time ranking the shows I've seen from them, all from the past 10 years. I hardly remember the 2003 Coachella set but I was happy they broke out some Dirty material, the 2004 Sonic Nurse tour show at the Marquee in Phoenix was amazing; the biggest draw for me was Thurston's long guitar noise workouts. The 2007 Coachella set was nice but still focused on the very recent few albums. Their 2010 Matador and 2010 ATP performances were both 80s (plus a couple songs from Goo) heavy and full of fire.
    You're not a true fan.
    "ain't no thang but a chicken wang"

Late to the conversation. I thought Sonic Nurse was extremely good, for whatever reason. Probably my favorite SY album since Washing Machine (Diamond Sea is just wonderful).

Yo La Tengo is the only other band I've been listening to that long who still puts out exciting releases.
    Last edited by JebusLives; 10-19-2011 at 04:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fuzz View Post
    You're not a true fan.
    Thanks! I will update my spreadsheet.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

I chuckled.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

http://spinalbap.blogspot.com/2011/1...re-yet-to.html

KIM GORDON AND THURSTON MOORE YET TO CONFIRM WHO WILL TAKE CUSTODY OF J MASCIS
    In the wake of Kim Gordon and Thurston Moores separation not only is the question of Sonic Youths future in doubt, it remains similarly unclear who will be granted custody of J Mascis.

Kim and Thurston first took Mascis under their wing back in 1986 when Sonic Youth invited Dinosaur Jr to support them for a two-week college tour and have looked after the long-haired troubadour ever since, but is it now uncertain whether custody will be given to Kim, Thurston, or some other third party. Mascis requires much care and attention; he suffers from catatonic lethargy, underdeveloped social skills, and is susceptible to panic attacks when deprived of the colour purple.

There has been some concern over the affect the split is having on Js behaviour. Kim and Thurston broke the news to J together and in a sensitive manner, making it clear that it wasnt his fault and that they both still loved him very much and they would both still see him all the time. He has, however, become very withdrawn and solitary, retreating to his bedroom to play excessively loud guitar and communicating only through incoherent mumbles. Photogenic television psychologist Dr. Linda Papadapasnuffleupagus confirmed this was normal behaviour for individuals who are having to cope with a separation, although it is less typical in 45 year olds.

Lou Barlow has enthusiastically volunteered to take custody, always willing to elevate his and Js father/son homoerotic incestuous sibling passive-aggressive dysfunctional relationship to new heights of weird. When approached with the idea, Js noncommittal shrug was interpreted by Lou as a categorical No causing him to immediately descend to his basement to record yet another soul-searching lo-fi tune documenting his feelings of inadequacy and rejection.

Courtney Love has also kindly offered to adopt Mascis. Her calls have not been returned.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Video of what may have been the final concert.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Video of what may have been the final concert.
    At least they ended on a high note

Setlist:
    Brave Men Run (In My Family)
    Death Valley 69
    Sacred Trickster
    Calming the Snake
    Mote
    Cross the Breeze
    Schizophrenia
    Drunken Butterfly
    Starfield Road
    Flower
    Sugar Kane
    Encore:
    Teenage Riot

9/8 DFA 1979 @ Rough Trade
    9/9 Karen O @ McKittrick Hotel
    9/10 Spoon @ Summerstage
    9/12 Darkside @ Masonic Temple
    9/12 Skream @ Verboten
    9/13 Thugfucker
    9/14 Deafheaven @ MHOW

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

That set list reeks of "WE'RE DONE, Y'ALL."

And I am going to cry myself to sleep tonight. I would have LOVED to see Mote and Drunken Butterfly live -- and, because I never saw it live in person myself, Teen Age Riot would have been a jam. Judging from how infrequently they play the song, the fact they closed with it definitely seems "final" to me. Sigh.

Yeah, the shows they were doing with all the old material would make more sense now. I really hope they're not gone, but it seems like it's increasingly likely.

Lee to Rolling Stone, in short:

In the wake of the marital breakup of Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon, fellow Sonic Youth member Lee Ranaldo is preparing for the March release of a solo album. The future of the group is up in the air, he tells Rolling Stone: "Every band runs its course."
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I'm feeling optimistic about the future no matter what happens at this point. I mean, every band runs its course. We've been together way longer than any of us ever imagined would happen and it's been for the most part an incredibly pleasurable ride. There's still a lot of stuff we're going to continue to do. There's tons and tons of archival projects and things like that that are still going on, so there are so many ways in which we are tied to each other for the future both musically and in other ways
    Dunno if it's Rolling Stone or you, but context is key.

Ha, I didn't read the entire thing.
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Oh, here's that thread.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Ha, I didn't read the entire thing.
    Fox news-ing it up. You should read it though: he's finished his solo album and is doing a tour next year with a band that sounds like it'll include Steve Shelley. He also says the South American tour went well and wasn't overly awkward, except for setting up hotels since it's the first time Kim and Thurston booked separate rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Killing Joke
    U2(2005-6 had some inarguably killer shows and innovated staging)
    Yeah and so does KISS!

Kim spills the beans...

"I can understand people being curious," Gordon says when I ask her about all the attention she’s gotten since the split. "I’m curious myself. What’s going to happen now?"

It’s late afternoon on an unforgivingly cold winter day in New York City. Gordon arrives a few minutes early at Sant Ambroeus, the understated West Village restaurant she chose for our meeting. She’s wearing eyeliner, a black-and-white-striped sweaterdress, and cognac-brown boots. I find myself dissecting her look so I can copy it later; such is the immediacy of her style. It would be rude to say Gordon doesn’t look her age, which is 59. That’s a line reserved for those who are desperately trying to appear young. There is nothing desperate about Kim Gordon. When the subject of dating comes up, I’m not surprised to hear that younger men are vying for her attention, though the couple is not yet divorced.

"We have all these books, records, and art and are getting it all assessed; that’s what is taking so long," she says after ordering a glass of ros. But both have moved on. Among her suitors are a restaurateur, an architect, and an actor. "It’s just weird," Gordon says of navigating new romance. "I can’t tell what’s normal." And Moore has regularly been seen with the same woman, fueling the rumor that his affair helped doom their marriage. (Thurston Moore declined a request for an interview.) "We seemed to have a normal relationship inside of a crazy world," Gordon says of her marriage. "And in fact, it ended in a kind of normal way—midlife crisis, starstruck woman."

Some years ago, a woman Gordon declines to name became a part of the Sonic Youth world, first as the girlfriend of an erstwhile band member and later as a partner on a literary project with Moore.
    Eventually, Gordon discovered a text message and confronted him about having an affair. They went to counseling, but he kept seeing the other woman. "We never got to the point where we could just get rid of her so I could decide what I wanted to do," Gordon says. "Thurston was carrying on this whole double life with her. He was really like a lost soul." Moore moved out. Gordon stayed home and listened to a lot of hip-hop. "Rap music is really good when you’re traumatized," she says.
    Read more here: http://www.elle.com/pop-culture/cele...?src=soc_fcbks

9/10 Spoon @ Summerstage
    9/12 Skream @ Verboten
    9/13 Thugfucker
    9/14 Deafheaven @ MHOW

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Well Thurston is an idiot.
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    Well Thurston is an idiot.
    Yea this pretty much sums it up...

The group walked around the corner to Egg, a Southern-style restaurant. Over fried chicken and Bud Lights, Ms. Pearl and Mr. Moore talked about how they met, in 2006, when Mr. Moore went to Nashville to sign Be Your Own Pet to his label. “We came to the show and then we smoked weed in the back of the club and we signed the deal,” Mr. Moore said. Ms. Pearl shook her head. “We didn’t sign the papers that night,” she said. “It’s not the ’60s.”

They left the restaurant for Issue Project Room, an arts space in Gowanus, where Byron Coley, a rock critic, read from his novel-in-progress. Ms. Pearl had met Mr. Coley before and was impressed by his encyclopedic music knowledge; she declared him “the man.” During the reading, she and her band mates sipped Sierra Nevadas and laughed knowingly at references to ESP Records and Roxy Music. “I can’t wait to read the whole thing!” she said. Afterward, in the lobby, she found that Mr. Moore and Ms. Prinz had left without a goodbye. “That’s Thurston,” she sighed.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/08/fa...ght.html?_r=1&

ps Thanks for ruining Sonic Youth, Eva
    http://marcelokrasilcic.blogspot.com...rinz-in-v.html

9/10 Spoon @ Summerstage
    9/12 Skream @ Verboten
    9/13 Thugfucker
    9/14 Deafheaven @ MHOW

Its Thurstons fault, not Evas.
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

I figured someone cheated but I figured it was her because she still has the hot bod for an old lady.

It really sucks that Thurston did this to the other guys in the band who probably depend on Sonic Youth for a paycheck.
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

Who remembers the 1995 shows with The Amps, Mike Watt and Bikini Kill? That totally slayed the whole Lolla lineup right there.
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

Thurston is going solo...

I switched this page from Chelsea Light Moving to Thurston Joseph Michael Moore. The next record to be released under my own name will be titled “Detonation” (Matador, June 1st 2014). Most of the music on it will be unreleased tracks recorded by myself with John Moloney, Samara Lubelski and Keith Wood – who recorded and toured with me under the name Chelsea Light Moving but i’ve decided to just use my real name from now on for records and gigs regardless of who will be playing with me, or at least for the time being(!). The last few years had me going strong with John, Samara and Keith, friends/musicians/confidantes whom i ADORE, but I feel the need to change the live thing up a bit. Right now i’m playing under my own name with guitarist extraordinaire James Sedwards – we have a few gigs coming up. All future info will be updated on https://www.facebook.com/ThurstonMooreOfficial

9/10 Spoon @ Summerstage
    9/12 Skream @ Verboten
    9/13 Thugfucker
    9/14 Deafheaven @ MHOW

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    Thurston is going solo...
    "Is going?" He's been on his solo thing since before they even announced the break-up.

I think the genre experiments are decent to good. Old Ways is killer, Trans is really fascinating, but then he went and did Everybody's Rocking, Landing on Water and This Note's For You. They're crap.
    And I know I'm a couple years late on this, but Old Ways IS a good record despite the hate people heap on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Agreed. I changed my tune on Everybody's Rocking too, which I'm a fan of now.