Page 80 of 87 FirstFirst ... 7576777879808182838485 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,400 of 2587

Thread: EDC Las Vegas 2012

Default Re: EDC Las Vegas 2012

Quote Originally Posted by choice cat View Post
    lets just go back to 2011's thread and debate about the water quality ... or 2010's about how much the scene is changing !
    The water quality was abysmal this year. Absolutely awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalstereo View Post
    Truer words have never been spoken on this thread. That's why I keep away from EDC. Haven't gone in years, but the recent statements from Rotella have brought back hope. EDC is for first timers who just want to post pictures on Facebook and say how awesome a mainstream dj is playing and for bros/kandi sluts. Then you have the small group, the VERY small group of people who go for the music and to find new talent, which Insomniac rarely ever books. Seen those dj sets too many times to actually even care to see them drop the same shit set every year and pay 200-300 + 600 of fees going to Vegas.

If Rotella keeps true to what he states (which I highly doubt he will) then may be, just may be I might attend another Insomniac event.
    The only acts that would ever get me to another EDC are Chemical Brothers, Apparat, or Moderat. This weekend was full of ups and downs and a lot of the downs were, frankly, unacceptable.
    Last edited by Wheres the beef?; 06-14-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalstereo View Post
    then may be, just may be
    Whatever willbe, willbe
    Last edited by JustSteve; 06-14-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheres the beef? View Post
    The only acts that would ever get me to another EDC are Chemical Brothers, Apparat, or Moderat. This weekend was full of ups and downs but a lot of the downs were, frankly, unacceptable.
    Looks like someone got a healthy dose of ***Detroit***

4/11-13: Coachella
    4/15: The Knife @ The Fox
    4/16: Factory Floor @ The Independent
    4/17: The Afghan Whigs @ Slim's
    4/17: Minilogue @ Mighty
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom

The water quality was abysmal this year. Absolutely awful.
    yee thats kinda true actually, whenever I would refill my water I could definitely see some substance in my bottle. oh well beggars can't be choosers

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Looks like someone got a healthy dose of ***Detroit***
    That's certainly part of it. I'm amazed at how wrong my previous attitude was. But I was also disappointed in what I saw from Insomniac. Full review tonight.

Looking back on this yr with our luck if the chemical brothers would have been booked it probably would have been for Saturday 2:30-4 instead of Tiesto.

Am I the only one who's tired of going to these events and hearing how awesome the set of this mainstream dj or djs was? Then realize it was the same set they dropped in 2010?

If you like blowing your money away, be my guest, it's your money. I much rather spend $10 and see an underground dj drop something new; than pay over $1000.00 just to see mr big name dj drop the same set.

I believe it's time to let dance music go back to its roots. Which is allowing underground djs to drop their own music, which they have worked hard for. Eventhough most djs now a days want to produce generic EDM, there are a few who will eventually change the way we view EDM. Hopefully for better and not for worse like it's been happening the past few years.

And yes, this is all my own opinion.

Well for me personally, I know I'm not gonna get the BEST, most UNDERGROUND edm at edc but I view it more like a vacation and a good time with friends. Approach an event like this with less expectation to have your mind completely blown, and be overly happy when it does, but still content when it isn't.

More like lamestream DJS.

4/11-13: Coachella
    4/15: The Knife @ The Fox
    4/16: Factory Floor @ The Independent
    4/17: The Afghan Whigs @ Slim's
    4/17: Minilogue @ Mighty
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom

It is what it is though, you can't throw an event with all the bells and whistles that EDC uses, and not have the big names to back that up and sell tickets. Pasqualle's comments at the edm biz conference are comforting and welcomed by all up and comers, but there is no way that ever happens..

ALSO did anyone notice how much of a decrease in production the main stage and basspod stages saw this year? Quite disappointing, as I remember Pasqualle saying on twitter that they were trying to outdo the mainstage they had last year (which they definitely did not), and further disappointing regarding the basspod, as that is the stage I spent most of my time at.

yeah i'm not sure how pasquale intends to sell 120k tickets w/o the tiesto/avicii/shm/armin posse. i hope he starts booking some lesser known dj's, but there will still be the pop stars there as well. they are the only ones who can sell that many tix.

the main stage this year wasn't nearly as big as last year, but i still see people saying it was the biggest stage in n american history. the 360 production of the kinetic field was pretty cool, but i much rpeffered the main stage last year.

the cosmic meadow was a hell of a lot better this year and that is where i would have been all of saturday if not for mother nature. oh well

Quote Originally Posted by tmac View Post
    yeah i'm not sure how pasquale intends to sell 120k tickets w/o the tiesto/avicii/shm/armin posse. i hope he starts booking some lesser known dj's, but there will still be the pop stars there as well. they are the only ones who can sell that many tix.
    How many tickets do think he sold for this year w/o announcing one booked act/DJ?

I think it is just a lot of good PR for Pasqualle, trying to make his company look less commercial. At the same time though, I don't see how booking a bunch of unknowns adds to his events "being about the total experience" which is what they are really trying to push right now, as can be seen by the line up listed in alphabetical order, "headliners" lost in the shuffle of whereever their name puts them.

old school

Uh that was without a doubt not the largest stage in American history..... lulz.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

Lurker

ALSO did anyone notice how much of a decrease in production the main stage and basspod stages saw this year? Quite disappointing, as I remember Pasqualle saying on twitter that they were trying to outdo the mainstage they had last year (which they definitely did not), and further disappointing regarding the basspod, as that is the stage I spent most of my time at.
    I was very disappointed with the basspod stage. It hardly looked like a stage compared with all the other stages they had going on.

On the other hand, I enjoyed the main stage this year. I like the 360 degree enclosure of the stage. It would be nice if they had more production at Cosmic or Neon Gardens.

It is what it is though, you can't throw an event with all the bells and whistles that EDC uses, and not have the big names to back that up and sell tickets. Pasqualle's comments at the edm biz conference are comforting and welcomed by all up and comers, but there is no way that ever happens..

This is one of my many complaints. The cosmic meadow wasn't much better. They may have spent a ton of cash on LED screens and lights but the visualizer they were using was God awful cheesy. They dropped the ball big time in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    Uh that was without a doubt not the largest stage in American history..... lulz.
    It had to have been 8 stories tall. What is/was bigger?

I think it is just a lot of good PR for Pasqualle, trying to make his company look less commercial. At the same time though, I don't see how booking a bunch of unknowns adds to his events "being about the total experience" which is what they are really trying to push right now, as can be seen by the line up listed in alphabetical order, "headliners" lost in the shuffle of whereever their name puts them.

I know for sure Rotella will book some big acts next year. I just hope there's more surprise to EDC in 2013 than what they had this year.

Where's DistortedJungle and his relentless defense of the festival? Surely he had a life changing weekend.

old school

It had to have been 8 stories tall. What is/was bigger?
    U2's stage last tour for one. Im sure there have been many more fests and shows with just as big or bigger stages than EDC this year.

Rolling stones

old school

Yes the Stones was definitely bigger than EDC.

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    U2's stage last tour for one. Im sure there have been many more fests and shows with just as big or bigger stages than EDC this year.
    Can you post a couple pics you think accurately show the size and scale of the stage?

Was it wider than this?

Yeah, the basspod stage was a huge disappointment. Almost as if they had all the other stages down, and then were like "oh shit, whats left for basspod? QUICK, get something and a projector". Mainstage was massive fail. LED screens to enclose it in a 360 fashion? Bollocks on that, it was basically Coachella mainstage with a second or third helping of production added.

First of all: That guy on the floor in the sun - where did he get his drugs from?

Second, it is my opinion for those of you who had a sour time, that you had the wrong drugs and wrong approach to the festival. In my opinion, if you had left earlier, done your research on the fastest route there and talked to your drug dealer and possibly tested the drugs before you took them to Vegas, you may have had a better time. For those of you who were sober, perhaps you did not research the lineup? Everyone complains about cheese house djs, but there was more than that there, in my opinion. I enjoyed spending time at the hard style stage and I enjoyed this massive. I also enjoy LNTB festivals too, which this was clearly the opposite of, in my opinion of course.

I'll be going to this festival for years to come, i had a blast, you're probably doing it wrong if you didn't, in my opinion of course.

Regarding the water refill stations: There was less tips for the volunteers, but the line waits for water were less than a minute.

Almost as if they had all the other stages down, and then were like "oh shit, whats left for basspod? QUICK, get something and a projector". .
    HAHA! Just watched a Youtube video and that's what it basically looks like. I'm guessing they realized they had a Basspod stage the day of the event.

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    So is this just a crazy high dose of LSD or is it some other drug? I've never seen anyone near there
    Quote Originally Posted by bdb23 View Post
    but dude, these guys are talking about wizards piss, they're already in danger mode.

Lurker

Anyone complaining about the lineup obviously didn't see UMEK on Sunday. Seriously music snobs, get over yourselves. I am all for seeing new underground DJs, but c'mon, its EDC, what do you expect? If you didn't have a good time, you just had the wrong attitude.
    last.fm

Coachella '10, '11, '12.1