Page 75 of 87 FirstFirst ... 7071727374757677787980 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,250 of 2585

Thread: EDC Las Vegas 2012

Default Re: EDC Las Vegas 2012

hey ods, fuck your subjective opinion about the event. Fuck it.

10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival
    10/22: Roman Flugel @ f8
    10/25: Moodymann @ PW
    11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore

My EDC experience was definitely interesting this year. I couldn't believe how saturated the place was with colors and lights - there was too much shit everywhere for my brain to process. The lineup was great and I loved how much variety there was between the stages. It took me about 2 hours friday and saturday to get from my hotel room to inside the venue leaving at 5/5:30, and on sunday we left at 8 and got in at 10:30. Yes it wasnít ideal, but I donít consider it to be a deal breaker either. I was more disappointed with the long wait getting out rather than getting in, which made us decide to leave early (around 4pm) fri/sun and I never got my sunrise set.

The biggest difference between EDC and Coachella is that I could get close to any stage (except possibly Circuit Grounds) without feeling crowded, which is totally unavoidable at Coachella. Even in front of the soundboard at the mainstage was easy if you went on the left. The layout seemed perfect Ė there were very few bottlenecks and so much room everywhere. I definitely want to try eating some paper there next time I go since dealing with crowds at night is the biggest difficulty at Coachella. Coachella definitely has the epic factor over EDC though, especially with regard to the giant size of the main stage and the different stage setups that artists bring. I also liked Coachella significantly more just because my usual concert buddies didn't come with me so I was missing a huge chunk of my normal experience (and was dragged to a few more commercial/main stage sets than I would have otherwise).

Friday was pretty fun, although I definitely felt the lineup that day was representative of Coachella this year and every DJ was playing the same tracks. I heard Otherside by RHCP about 8 times that day (seriously, what the fuck, that was worse than Levels). I was trying to let my friends see the mainstage cheese that day because not much else was going on early in the night and I was anticipating conflicts with the Enter and Carl Cox stages the next two nights. Above and Beyond was amazing and I definitely need to listen to more of them, I hadnít listened to any trance at all before this weekend. I always think Afrojack is fun, fuck all of your couches. We watched the full Kaskade set and the 20 minute fireworks display was fantastic.

My Saturday was much shittier than your saturday. I got food poisoning (I think from tap water, dumb mistake) and started vomiting at 9 or so. I spent two hours chilling at the cosmic meadow with my friend who also wasn't feeling well, occasionally getting up to puke in a trash can. However Josh Wink made even puking borderline pleasant (i hadn't heard of this guy before the weekend and he was awesome). I went to Calvin Harris, realized I needed to be near a trash can, went to the back of the stage, then decided that I really couldn't handle it. I decided to stick it out until 1 so my friend could see about 15 minutes of Avicii before we left (he was really looking forward to it). We decided to chill until then in the grandstands, but then the lights came on and you know the rest. I quickly realized that ďtemporarily shut downĒ was code word for "shut down but don't riot and stampede out" so we quickly gave up and went to the shuttle line. We got back to the hotel around 2pm. I spent the next hour alternating using the bathroom with my friend while we puked and shit our guts out. Then I got extreme dehydration and muscles started spasming and clenching (it was fucking weird, I couldn't move and I thought I was dying) and we had to call an ambulance. So, yeah that was fun. I finally got home around 7:30am after getting an IV drip (I'm sure lots of you got home the same time as me anyways). Ironically this was the first time I didn't take drugs at a festival, go figure.

I spent Sunday recovering but was good to go by night and we got in at around 10:30. We happened to be checking out the trance stage when Armin came on so we stayed for a half hour of that. John Digweed was my most anticipated act of the weekend at it was exactly what I hoped for. My friends liked it as well but left a little early to check out Guetta (sigh, it turned out to be Avicii anyways which was good for them at least). I had taken something from my baggie that night and spent the first half of my roll wandering around the cosmic meadow soaking everything in and absolutely loving the atmosphere of that Digweed set, which was definitely one of my favorite moments at a festival ever. I spent the second half failing to find my friends at mainstage Armin (I thought it was better than trance stage Armin, although I donít remember a lot of it due to said baggie). Unfortunately I started to feel down so I didnít stay for too much of Carl Cox.
    Overall there were a lot of good and bad moments of EDC this year, but most of the bad moments I canít actually blame on the festival. Doing both EDC and Coachella every year is definitely too much to handle, and since convincing most of my friends to switch to EDC seems like an impossibility I will probably do EDC again in two years. I really wished Sasha was there though, that was some grade A bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdb23 View Post
    but dude, these guys are talking about wizards piss, they're already in danger mode.

I listened throughout the weekend on Sirius...Why the fuck does every goddamn cheese artist think it's acceptable to drop a Knife Party track in every set?! From what Sirius aired, it sounded as if every cheese artist played similar sets.

Put your fucking hands up
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Coachella will come out of the closet announcing it's gay. Most will applaud it while some will sell their passes.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Anyone who actually believes EDC > Coachella deserves to be shot.

Shot in the stomach and tied to floor at the hard dance stage so they can be stomped on for eternity. You people are delusional, get some fucking sleep.
    You can only compare the two as far as your own musical tastes go. If your main focus is EDM, then yeah, EDC holds the top honor. If you require versatility, then our beloved Coachella stands above. Two totally different monsters. Happened upon these aerial views of EDC from the Las Vegas Sun... Enjoy!!!

http://www.lasvegassun.com/photos/ga...al-vie/#424895
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Litoris View Post
    I listened throughout the weekend on Sirius...Why the fuck does every goddamn cheese artist think it's acceptable to drop a Knife Party track in every set?! From what Sirius aired, it sounded as if every cheese artist played similar sets.

Put your fucking hands up
    I listened to Martin Solveig on Saturday. I haven't heard him before but I thought the tracks he selected really pandered to the EDC crowd. I was surprised because I know some of my friends like him, but based on what I heard I don't understand why.
    Last edited by casey; 06-12-2012 at 06:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

XS had Afrojack play for about 2 hours with Alesso backing him up after Diplo and Skrillex. I saw Avicii, Paris Hilton, 12 Planet and a few others in the DJ booth area. It was interesting to see Avicii watch Skrillex remix Levels lol

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Warpaint 10/27, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tegan & Sara 11/14, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

The murder capital where we murder for capital

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/upo...egas_rules.php

Top Five Reasons Electric Daisy Carnival Rules

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/upo...egas_rules.php

Top Five Reasons Electric Daisy Carnival Rules

Not sure if this was already posted...

Electric Daisy Founder Pasquale Rotella: 'We Don't Want to Book' Superstar DJs Anymore

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/indu...007272952.story

June 08, 2012 | By Kerri Mason, Las Vegas
    Electric Daisy Carnival founder Pasquale Rotella gave the shakes to artists and agents, and raised the eyebrows of fellow event promoters yesterday, by declaring that his interest in booking known DJs was waning.

"Our strategy moving forward is we don't want to book the [big] guys," he said on the "An Agent and Five Promoters Walk Into a Room" panel, during Day 2 of EDMBiz, the two-day industry conference hosted by his Insomniac Events. "I don't want to be a promoter. My passion is not selling tickets and making money. I want to create an experience. You don't need to book the big acts who sell out arenas."
    Electric Daisy Carnival, Insomniac Events Founder Pasquale Rotella on Building 'Adult Disneyland' at EDMBiz
    "You might want to stop right there," half-joked AM Only President Paul Morris, who was moderating the panel. AM Only shed-fillers TiŽsto and David Guetta are headlining EDC Las Vegas this weekend, with several of its other clients filling out the rest of the around 200-name line-up.

Even while pulling back his own support of artists, Rotella seemed to pooh-pooh the summer's slate of DJ-fronted arena tours, featuring EDC headliners like Afrojack, Avicii and Kaskade.

"Tours are a new concept for DJs," he said. "The Swedish House Mafia show at Madison Square Garden was pretty awesome, but there's only going to be a handful of DJs who can pull it off."

Later, when an audience member asked about the most important three elements of a successful party, Rotella responded with "the right venue, the right team, having a good relationship with the city you're in."
    EDMBiz Recap: Skrillex's RE:Generation; Perry Farrell Gets Held Up; TheAudience's Online Insights
    Chuck Flask, talent booker for Detroit promoter Paxahau's revered Movement Electronic Music Festival, said "Talent is number one for sure in Detroit," causing a murmur of agreement across the panel.

"Burning Man has no talent," countered Rotella. The leave-no-trace desert festival is a model for Rotella, who reportedly attends every year. He even created an award -- the first annual EDMBiz Leading The Way Award -- to honor Burning Man organizers' charitable efforts.

Rotella spoke about the Insomniac Discovery Project, which grants unknown DJs coveted time slots on EDC stages, based on 30-minute mixes. The contest, launched this year, was judged by Rotella. While he spoke about the quality of the submissions, Flask interrupted.
    Exclusive: AM Only's UKF Dubstep Tour -- With Gemini, KOAN Sound -- Coming to U.S.
    "Are you going to do a stage with these people?" he said. "You can't just do a party with people no one knows about."

But Rotella didn't back away from his position, which was reflected in a long tome sent to artist reps on Wednesday night, reinforcing that EDC's team of 500 performers were free to jump on stage at any point in their sets.

"The DJ is important and has a job to do, but I want the budget to bring in art and production," he said during the panel. "We balance through negotiation. They get higher fees somewhere else, but they feel our shows are special."

Weird. Curious to see where this goes. Would be crappy if that meant that by not getting Tiesto, Avicii, Calvin Harris, etc, we would also no longer be getting names like Carl Cox, Richie Hawtin, etc...

Also, your link doesn't work, here: http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/indus...07272952.story
    Last edited by thefrush; 06-12-2012 at 10:34 AM.
    2013 = Coverchella

2011 = Perfectchella

Haven't gone to an EDC event since 2010. I hope Rotella keeps his word and stops booking the same shit they book every year.

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Weird. Curious to see where this goes. Would be crappy if that meant that by not getting Tiesto, Avicii, Calvin Harris, etc, we would also no longer be getting names like Carl Cox, Richie Hawtin, etc...

Also, your link doesn't work, here: http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/indus...07272952.story
    This is a bizarre logic.

10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival
    10/22: Roman Flugel @ f8
    10/25: Moodymann @ PW
    11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore

Speaking of bizarre logic...
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

If I would have known that titties were the primary concern at EDC, maybe I would have made the effort to go. These things should be on the lineup poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If I would have known that titties were the primary concern at EDC, maybe I would have made the effort to go. These things should be on the lineup poster.
    And, Tu-tus...Don't forget the tu-tus!

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    And, Tu-tus...Don't forget the tu-tus!
    and the furry boots. So mutha fuckin' PLUR!

i really hope richie and the gang can make up for not being to spin at edc. id love to go to an Enter party in LA or some shit. or even something in vegas.

for the love of god... I NEED TO SEE GAISER AGAIN.

i might even go to escape from wonderland just to fully see Enter haha. fuck. bonerkill. i never danced so hard for gaiser.... SOBER!

PLUR = a pubis that starts somewhere in the middle of the ribs?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by Oranix View Post
    i really hope richie and the gang can make up for not being to spin at edc. id love to go to an Enter party in LA or some shit. or even something in vegas.

for the love of god... I NEED TO SEE GAISER AGAIN.

i might even go to escape from wonderland just to fully see Enter haha. fuck. bonerkill. i never danced so hard for gaiser.... SOBER!
    Im in the same boat as you :/ I want to go to hard summer on Fri to catch fake blood erol and boys noize but maybe I'll just do escape instead

Dispite the Saturday buzz kill I had a great weekend. A little disappointed we missed the board meetup at Richie, but sunday was awesome. I didnt make it the the main stage all weekend, stayed at either the Techno or Trance stage with the exception of Digitalism and Camo & Krooked.

Weekend Highlights:

Above & Beyond - The firwork show synced up with Sun & Moon was unbelieveable.
    John Digweed - As to be expected, had me dancing the whole time. Met some cool people to smoke with up in the front during the end of the set.
    Camo & Krooked - Probably my favorite D&B show I have seen. Exceeded all expectations.
    Umek - Perfect setup before John Digweed. My entire crew danced our asses off.
    Tritonal - An awesome set with a variety of their tracks as well as songs I have been digging lately. They looked like they were having the most fun playing out of anyone I saw all weekend. Good to see an American trance artists getting recogintion.

Everyone tweet Pasquale and ask if 3 day ticket holders can get discounted tickets to escape to make up for Sat! It makes sense, Enter was on sat and is sat escape
    Last edited by nick5745; 06-12-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kucky21 View Post
    Umek - Perfect setup before John Digweed. My entire crew danced our asses off.
    His set was just so fucking good, I couldn't stop moving

Umek was nuts. One of my favorite sets of the weekend, the production was ridiculous at that stage.

Gaiser was the fucking best though. God damn I wish he came here more... so dark and heavy.

Fucking Gaiser. The $100 I spent on a Saturday ticket was almost worth it just for Digitalism, Magda, and Gaiser.

If anyone finds Gaiser, Magda, or Digweed could you post them?

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalstereo View Post

Why? Why?

The chick with the daisy head wrap looks like the girl that was with Slade in the first season of Real Housewives of Orange County. Is that her?

I'm pretty bummed about my lack of cosmic meadow this hear. just saw a little bit of John digweed and Carl cox, bennasi on Friday. it had the best bass of all stages.

Quote Originally Posted by pezGato View Post
    I'm pretty bummed about my lack of cosmic meadow this hear. just saw a little bit of John digweed and Carl cox, bennasi on Friday. it had the best bass of all stages.
    Who did you see/where were you on Saturday and early Sunday?

So glad I saw Richie at Drais.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Warpaint 10/27, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tegan & Sara 11/14, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015