Default Re: EDC Las Vegas 2012

Quote Originally Posted by JoshTheBoyd View Post
    Now we will never know who special guest was
    Someone on Facebook said it was Example. MUST BE TRUE

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Draft Punk
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

The edc stages are pretty awesome and I've had a good time so far. Only getting about 5 to 6 hours of music Saturday was such a letdown. They could really use a stage dedicated to anything besides straight edm though. The meadow stage was the only one you could really chill out by or dance to. Trying to chill by the big bass stages is a headache. All in all edc is not even close to as fun as Coachella for me. I dont like how you get hardly any custom stage setups either. The main stage is what it is there's no modifying it for any artist. This will likely be my only trip out for this event. Its definitely filled with 18 to 21 as the majority of the fans . I just would like it so much more with just one stage of electronic indie with some live performances to break up the monitony of it all.

Your complaint about an electronic music festival is that there's too much.........electronic music?

4/20: Godflesh, Cut Hands @ DNA Lounge
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom
    6/27: Fuck Buttons @ The Independent
    6/28: Robyn & Royksopp @ Bill Graham

I almost flew out on a whim to attend Saturday... so glad I didn't. I saw some videos of the wind - it looked pretty brutal, i understand why they didnt want to chance it. Insomniac seems to have a lot of bad karma.

I keep seeing people on FB say to move it to the Polo Fields... Uhh no!

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Your complaint about an electronic music festival is that there's too much.........electronic music?
    electronic sounds are incorporated in numerous bands out there I cant see why they cant book some. Imagine staying in the Sahara for 4 days straight without a break. Yeah I realize the techno shit is more complex and a nice changeup so im very happy to have experienced that.

Let me assure you, you experienced very little techno.

Well I saw josh wink / magda / Andy c / digitalism / I felt those 4 were complex interesting artists

Sure, but you're confusing the term "techno" as an umbrella category for "electronic music," which it isn't.

I'm hoping Josh Wink played an acid-house heavy set.

Was really looking forward to Dubfire, Loco Duce, Hawtin,s Enter set, Paco Osuna/Blue Man group half sets. Arg, at least I caught some Magda but overall I didn't get the Enter stage experience I was looking forward to.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1),12(2),13(1),13(2)
    Upcoming shows
    First Aid Kit 5/26, Parquet Courts 5/27, The Faint 6/1, Lady Gaga 6/3, Robyn/Röyksopp 6/28, Sharon Van Etten 6/29, Deafheaven 7/2, Cloud Nothings 7/7
    Events
    SDCC 7/24-27, Outside Kanye West Lands 8/8, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015

Quote Originally Posted by JoshTheBoyd View Post
    Now we will never know who special guest was
    yes we do
    @ArmanniReign: Secrets out. @ANDYC_ram n myself on at 130a #BassPod #EDCVegas #SHEESH” let's do this!!!

DEMF had a tornado last year and nothing was stopped. Amateur hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Winds hit 30mph there, I heard. Anyone know how high winds were for Coachella w1?

If you stayed until 5 am, you got Steve Aoki crowd surfing in his fucking raft and throwing cake, champagne, and powerade at the audience... again. One trick pony.

lowfront

Did coachella for 5 years...this is my first edc

edc blows coachella out of the water

Fuck u coachella

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lowfront View Post

Fuck u coachella
    Too much thizz

Digitalism was amazing.

Other than the traffic getting there on Friday Night, EDC was as magical as I expected, even moreso because you don't actually witness the magic until you enter that final opening into the stadium. You could hear people's reactions in front of you and once I went through that opening I too was amazed. It was like a sensory overload for both of us and we should have studied the map more thoroughly in order to catch the acts we wanted to see. Instead, we wandered aimlessly and took in the experience as we went. The fact that we shared a sleepless night before didn't make it any easier, and by 2:30am Pete was done. (But, what about Fedde Le Grand at 4:30???) Was I bummed? Yeah, but damn, I should have known better than to start the party too soon, and it's not like I had never seen him. There were still 2 more nights and we aren't exactly kids anymore so we headed back to our room to rest up and check on the cat. (Yes, we brought our kitty to Sin City because neither one of us thought to make kitty-sitting plans until the last minute. No worries, she was cool once she came out from under the bed.)

ANYWAY...Nevermind the details, but we ended up not going last night, and by 9 pm I was thinking that was okay because that wind was whipping outside as I sat sulking on the balcony. We considered it again at about 11pm, but chose not to and just hung out here in the room... Him sleeping, me and Jose' Cuervo fucking with the cat and studying the map like we should have done beforehand on Friday.

Woke up this morning to see the news of EDC getting shut down due to those winds, and thought maybe it wasn't so bad that we missed out. Came across this report while looking at vids of the event...
    ELECTRIC DAISY CARNIVAL LAS VEGAS 2012 SHUTDOWN
    Saturday night at the 2012 Electric Daisy Carnival was anticipated by many to be the most eventful of the three-day festival at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, but few could have predicted that it would be the result of extreme weather conditions.

After increasingly strong winds that started around 8 p.m., the festival was temporarily shut down around 1 a.m. with an estimated 115,000 fans evacuated to the speedway's bleachers as gales reached 30 mph throughout the Las Vegas Valley.

"This is for your safety, this is a temporary situation. The music will continue as soon as the wind does," offered an announcement from the venue-wide PA system. Crowds were asked to keep at least 100 feet from the stage.

According to festival security, the situation came as a preventive measure to avoid any risk posed to the integrity of the festival's seven temporary stages. Last year, a music stage in Indiana at the Indiana State Fair collapsed amid high winds, killing five and injuring dozens of others.

Despite the setback, fans made their exodus to the grand stand in a calm and patient fashion, though many were nonetheless frustrated to have the sets of the evening's headliners like Scottish DJ Calvin Harris cut off. At one point, the crowd herded into the north end of the stands began chanting "refund."

"I'm just glad they're making sure we're safe," said Las Vegas resident Amy Messmann, who also attended last year's festival. "Everyone here knows it's for their own safety. They're here for a good time, and they know being rowdy or violent isn't going to turn the music on faster."

At 1:50 a.m., attendees were cleared to return to the venue, but winds picked up again, and half an hour later, performers still had yet to return to the stages.

At 2:10 a.m., Insomniac released the following statement: "With approximately 90,000 fans who have cleared the turnstiles as of 1 a.m. tonight, Insomniac, the producer of Electric Daisy Carnival, Las Vegas asked fans to calmly head to the stands of the Las Vegas Motor Speedway as high winds posed a possible threat to fan safety.

"At approximately 1 a.m., Insomniac, in conjunction with public safety officials, made the decision to temporarily halt the show while an evaluation on wind conditions was made.

"Fan safety is Insomniac's highest priority. We cannot control Mother Nature, and we are taking every precaution while high winds continue and have cleared the stage areas temporarily as a preventative measure," said Pasquale Rotella, the founder and CEO of Insomniac. "We are asking fans to be patient inside and outside the venue while we evaluate the weather conditions."

"As winds are being assessed, a final decision on the status of the production is pending."

Overheard on the security radio at 2:30 a.m.: The fire marshal is shutting down the festival for the rest of the night. Traffic reports showed a high volume of attendees leaving around the same time.

By 2:45 a.m., Metro officers onsite were confirming that the fire marshal had shut down all performances and rides at the festival as the enormous Circuit Grounds stage suffered damage, and winds were expected to remain around 30 mph until 5 a.m.

However, attendees aren't yet being kicked out and are welcome to remain at LVMS. As of now, the festival will continue with today's events as planned beginning at 7 p.m.

At 3:06 a.m., festivalgoers are told to exit LVMS.

It seems cooler out today at this time compared to yesterday, so I'm hoping that means less wind when it starts getting dark, and with a full day of vegetating, I know I'm ready to get down twice as hard tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by lowfront View Post

Fuck u coachella
    You know, lowfront, I've seen you post, "fuck coachella," so many times this year that I can only hope that it means you won't be going back...ever. We're talking about two very different experiences in festivals, and I'm sorry that you couldn't get it right those 5 times you went to Coachella. I guess it just depends on how flexible and open you are with your musical tastes. (I actually don't recall your hate for coachella until this year, and maybe that had to do with the amount of edm. In any case, now you know where you're supposed to be... Just quit with your "Fuck coachella" shit, cuz it only makes you look like some punk to the rest of us who love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin170 View Post
    Digitalism was amazing.
    Okay, I confess... this stings to see since they were on my list of must sees... dammit.

http://www.weather.com/weather/hourb...xtbeginIndex=6

Well weather predictions say wind won't be more than 7 mph this evening, hopefully they're right. Was there heavy wind predicted for last night because I never heard anyone even mention that it could be a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Justin170 View Post
    Digitalism was amazing.
    Did they play a live or DJ set? They're playing a DJ set at Paradiso in two weeks and I'm wondering if it's worth catching or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Pea View Post
    Did they play a live or DJ set? They're playing a DJ set at Paradiso in two weeks and I'm wondering if it's worth catching or not.
    it was a DJ set and it was fantastic

flavorus.com
    11 minutes ago
    Anyone who had a Saturday single day EDC ticket is welcome to come tonight. Just use your ticket from yesterday and go straight in! Doors at 7:00...

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyMellow View Post
    it was a DJ set and it was fantastic
    Great news!

Quote Originally Posted by nick5745 View Post
    flavorus.com
    11 minutes ago
    Anyone who had a Saturday single day EDC ticket is welcome to come tonight. Just use your ticket from yesterday and go straight in! Doors at 7:00...
    After reading about the shut down, I had to wonder about those single day ticket holders. Good on insomniac and flavorus for making it right for them. Reading facebook earlier had me questioning the plur I sensed on friday night from everybody. I mean, I can understand disappointments, but for people to start in with "fuck edc, I want my money back," when in fact edc had nothing to do with Mother Nature's mood,was a bit of a spoiler first thing this morning. I feel better now... and I'm sure the saturday peeps do too.

"We are spending every moment right now creating as many special surprises for you at the festival tonight as we can."

That surprise better be richie fucking hawtin. Despite the wind I had a great time and I'm going back tonight. Josh wink didnt play that mch acid until the end of his set when he realt started ripping it. Magda actually had some insane acid going. Her and GAiser were by far the best sets of the night for me. Crowd was going apeshit, sound system was huge. As someone said earlier, digitalism also killed it, but I saw only the beginning of their set.

Fun night, excited for round two (didn't go friday with that shit lineup).

Gladiator (2 moombahton DJs from LA) got rescheduled to tonight at 4, so I can imagine they're going to try get some other things going on. Pasquale tweeted asking Avicii to do that rolling car stage shit or whatever the fuck it was; I think it was from Burning Man; he was semijoking when he said it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

also one last complaint lol. I hate that you cant lay down on the grass without a cop coming up to you and telling you to sit up. I dont need to be babysat

I met some guy who had just come out of the medical tent (the lockdown/shutdown had just begun while he was inside). He said he was laying down on the grass and someone stepped on, then kicked him in the face, resulting in his trip to the medic tent and ensuing stiches on his face.

So yeah I assume thats why you can't lie down anymore.