Page 58 of 87 FirstFirst ... 5354555657585960616263 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,740 of 2585

Thread: EDC Las Vegas 2012

Default Re: EDC Las Vegas 2012

EDM is blowing up, it's the cool thing to listen to these days and festivals are the cool places to be. Kids initially get into Kaskade and Skrillex, then when they really dig into the other genres of EDM they discover the great old school EDM artists like Carl Cox and Hawtin. This probably happens when they start to wander around a festival like EDC, then stumble upon something mind blowing like Carl Cox. They do a little research, tell their friends, then they're full blown tech house fans.

I could be totally off about this, just my interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    EDM is blowing up, it's the cool thing to listen to these days and festivals are the cool places to be. Kids initially get into Kaskade and Skrillex, then when they really dig into the other genres of EDM they discover the great old school EDM artists like Carl Cox and Hawtin. This probably happens when they start to wander around a festival like EDC, then stumble upon something mind blowing like Carl Cox. They do a little research, tell their friends, then they're full blown tech house fans.

While your statements are true for some I feel the percentage it happens to is very small.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post

From my personal experience: my friends and I all started listening to EDM around early-mid 2009, with the artists that you mentioned, Kaskade, Deadmau5, etc. While I myself have discovered how amazing techno and the more underground genres are (my personal favorite is the UK bass scene), the majority of my friends are still listening to the more "mainstream" sound. Hell, just last weekend I put on Groove Armada's latest essential mix and it was quickly turned off because my friends weren't into it.

So yes, I'd agree with Distorted_Jungle, the majority never explore the underground and stick to the mainstream sound.

I agree completely with the above statement. As with any genre of music, there are people that will dig in and find the obscure gems, and others who are more casual listeners. I used to be really into afrojack when i started getting into the scene (late 2009/early 2010). Although I've moved away from listening to dutch house, I still hear his music played at most of my friends places when i go out.
    5/17 Chet Faker
    5/25 EDC NY (2manydjs!!!!)
    7/18-7/20 Melt Festival

It takes a brave soul to tell their 10 person group, "Hey, I'm going to go see this obscure act, I've seen Tiesto 8 times already in the last 3 years, meet you by the huge flaming flower thing at 2am"

Festivals are some of the best places to wander and discover new things; while waiting for MSI in 04, I stumbled onto Stereolab. Cha-ching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    It takes a brave soul to tell their 10 person group, "Hey, I'm going to go see this obscure act, I've seen Tiesto 8 times already in the last 3 years, meet you by the huge flaming flower thing at 2am"

Festivals are some of the best places to wander and discover new things; while waiting for MSI in 04, I stumbled onto Stereolab. Cha-ching.
    This is why I'm a little bummed out about EDC, I know absolutely none of my friends are going to want to head to the techno stage with me, and I really don't like being at massives alone since there's a chance that we won't regroup, given shitty phone reception and the insane amounts of people. I also find it more enjoyable to listen to the music with my friends rather than be by myself, but that's just me (my other friend wanders off on his own all the time and somehow always manages to magically regroup with us, usually by accident, which is an anomaly in itself).

I believe they are bringing in cell phone towers, so that should at least help with the regrouping.

verizon phone reception was fine all year fyi. att was a nightmare. just pick a meeting at a specific time to meet up and both be there.

Using meet up spots at certain times (give 10-15 minutes) is the best thing to do IMO if you want to separate from your friends. Phones die and no one is going to find your LED costume in a sea of LED costumes (possibly when wandering, but not very likely at a stage)

Dont let your friends who want to see Tiesto prevent you from seeing Plastikman - chances are your friends will wander over the Plastikman after 20 minutes of Tiesto.

This happened to me last year, glad I had some boardies to hang out with

You have a better time watching absolutely atrocious acts with a group of friends you've already been spending a bunch of time with rather than seeing acts you genuinely care about? This is the sort of festival going mentality that fucking boggles my brain. There's something fundamentally wrong with your group of friends if you're unable to put together a meet-up system periodically throughout the event to regroup.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

so i guess it sold out.

now... im guessing they release time schedules after memorial day weekend. or i guess june 1 or so. hurry the fuck up!!!

Wonder what the speedway will look like "at capacity" since it's sold out unlike last year.
    Why ______________________ ?

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella FAQ;
    Because.
    2014 Coachella FF Team = White Welkers

Stupid full

Please pm me if you have an unwanted bassrush coupon code. Would be greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyMellow View Post
    Please pm me if you have an unwanted bassrush coupon code. Would be greatly appreciated
    Rotella tweeted a code: hoothoot93 for anyone having difficulty with their bassrush coupon.

Quote Originally Posted by Oranix View Post
    so i guess it sold out.

now... im guessing they release time schedules after memorial day weekend. or i guess june 1 or so. hurry the fuck up!!!
    I'm saying June 6th.

Quote Originally Posted by ManImCool View Post
    Wonder what the speedway will look like "at capacity" since it's sold out unlike last year.
    I would imagine it would be closest to saturday night like last year, but then again they are also expanding their usage of the speedway

I don't think it will be that bad. I thought I saw somewhere they only increased capacity by 10k from last year and they only used 70% of the speedway infield. I didn't really feel crowded except for when I had to walk through that skrillex crowd

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Stupid full
    This speedway can handle this crowd no problem, it may be bad for the main stage but I really don't care.

Edit: Also, I'll be surprised if they wait until the 1st or later to put out the set times. Insomniac lately has been putting out set times a lot earlier than they used to, I expect the rest of the lineup to come with the set times.
    Last edited by Distorted_Jungle; 05-24-2012 at 06:32 AM.

I'm flying in and i havent bought a shuttle pass, is it cheaper to pay 70$ for a shuttle pass when im only going on saturday or should i take my chances with a taxi, anyone know which would be the better option as far as price goes?

Quote Originally Posted by patsfan5454 View Post
    I'm flying in and i havent bought a shuttle pass, is it cheaper to pay 70$ for a shuttle pass when im only going on saturday or should i take my chances with a taxi, anyone know which would be the better option as far as price goes?
    if you can split a taxi with at least 2 other people, i think that is cheaper. taxis were between 60-80 from the strip i believe.

lowfront

EDC EDC EDC

Fuck u coachella!

I believe you can purchase a shuttle pass for one day. I think I read somewhere they were $35 for an individual day

Another word of advice, do NOT go through the main entrance (the one in front with the big EDC sign), it is extremely hard and time consuming to go through, but any of 6 or so side entrances are much better

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    Rotella tweeted a code: hoothoot93 for anyone having difficulty with their bassrush coupon.
    thank you worked perfectly

5/17 Chet Faker
    7/18-7/20 Melt Festival

This was probably discussed at one point, but regarding clothing and weather -- what was it like last year? weather.com says a low of low-70s for the EDC dates. Is jeans and a t-shirt a good idea or should i wear shorts? Do we need to bring a sweater in a backpack (which is a bitch to carry)? I can't believe we're two weeks away from this shit
    Quote Originally Posted by bdb23 View Post
    but dude, these guys are talking about wizards piss, they're already in danger mode.

jeans and t is what i wore last year an i was perfectly comfortable. i brought a sweatshirt sat and sun but only cause one of the girls i was with would inevitably need it

also those set times make it look like edc is ending earlier this year. 5:30 or 6. bummer

Yeah everything I've seen says it goes till 6 this year
    5/17 Chet Faker
    7/18-7/20 Melt Festival

Was the same thing last year - 8pm-6am