Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Camp Site Innovations Thread

Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

I ended up buying my specialty PVC fittings at Amazon. This kind (with up, down, and right-angle connectors) isn't normally sold in hardware stores. They can be great for PVC structures though.

http://www.amazon.com/4-way-Tee-PVC-...s=PVC+fittings
    Just Say No to eurotrash nonsense. Rock n' roll will set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by CiderMouseRules View Post
    I ended up buying my specialty PVC fittings at Amazon. This kind (with up, down, and right-angle connectors) isn't normally sold in hardware stores. They can be great for PVC structures though.

http://www.amazon.com/4-way-Tee-PVC-...s=PVC+fittings
    Awesome thanks. Dont know why I didnt think of checking amazon, Ive always just made do with home depot's fittings but that's not ideal at all.
    Coachella 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12A, 13A

Ill repost this from last year because it looks like it can answer some questions. There is also a link in there from where I got the fittings…

With PVC you can build just about any shape and size structure you want. Use your imagination. 10' PVC pipes were about $3 a piece. Connectors range anywhere from $.30 - $4. Had to order a couple of them online @ http://flexpvc.com/ .The only thing you really need is a hack saw, which was about $7. Everything else slips into place. I’m planning on duct taping joints for strength when set up.

You can bend PVC into curves or whatever shape you need with heat. Once it cools it will hold. To make the bends I boiled water, capped both ends and filled with a funnel. Bent around some stakes I put in the ground and let cool. Every piece will come out exactly the same. When completed I would suggest numbering or color coding the pieces for ease of setup later.

Quote Originally Posted by Deforel View Post
    One of the biggest worry about canopies seems to be it not having stakes and being blown away. But I thought why not just put the canopy legs in cinderblocks, do you think that would provide enough stabilization?

Cinderblocks are like a buck each and weigh 20+ lbs. For example:

& this

Or do you think the wind could still bend the poles/knock it over?

This option is just a lot cheaper, the canopy is $100 on academy.com, just amazon has a better pic
    i was walking through Home Depot the other day and thought of this as well. I'm pretty certain they would work just as well as any weight systems built for canopies to keep it grounded. My concern is that they are sharp and could be a hazard if a drunk person in my very large camping group trips on them...
    UNDERWORLD - 2015 - THE PRODIGY

Huh, filling PVC with boiling water to mold is really fucking clever.

A hacksaw works fine, but plunking down $20 for PVC snips made me crazy happy.
    Just Say No to eurotrash nonsense. Rock n' roll will set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by Deforel View Post
    Theeng72 and Janks,

I'm going to get some battery power for my campsite and was just going to go with a car battery or 2 since it will be much cheaper. I'm bad with this whole watts/voltage thing but it'll be used for mostly speakers and phone charging.

Got logitech s751i, says the power rating is AC 5W per channel RMS, so probably ~30hrs of this during the weekend and phones take a pretty minimal charge.

I'll test it myself too once it gets closer to the date but think a regular car battery will do? I can charge it back up with my car throughout the weekend to I guess...
    Regular car batteries aren't made to be drained that much. You will loose some power through the inverter as well which you will need. With a Deep Cycle you can run down to 20% no problem.

Look at your amp power. 115 x 20 = 2300 Watts / .80 = 1840 of usable Wattage give or take. So say it pulls 20 Watts / Hour that 92 hours of run time. If you're going to buy a battery might as well just spend the extra $20 and get one you know will last.

Get a couple 15 Watt LED lights to run at night as well for your camp site and you will have plenty of power for the weekend. (36 hours) You can always charge them from your car for a bit to give you a little extra juice. Just mind where your neighbors are sitting. No one wants to be sitting behind your car for 30 minutes..

If you have a multi meter bring it as well. Good chances your inverter will not run below 50% of the battery. So a charge will be needed.

This is a great read to explain more - http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm
    2013 Weekend 2 - Camping

My Set List

Friday - Aesop Rock, Band of Horses, Bassnectar, Jurrasic 5, Luciano, Metric, Modest Mouse, Of Monsters and Men, Polica, Purity Ring, Yeah Yeah Yeah's
    Saturday - Dropkick Murphys, The Postal Service, Puscifer, Savages,
    Sunday - The Gaslight Anthem, La Roux, The Lumineers, Paul Oakenfield, RHCP, Social Distortion, Wu-Tang Clan

Coachella's Attended -

2011, 2012, 2013

this is gonna be my group's setup this year

DSCN3807.jpg

and for those saying the arches on a monkey hut takes up space/height, our structure measures to a little over 7 feet so it shouldn't be an issue at all

Quote Originally Posted by NachoCat View Post
    Ill repost this from last year because it looks like it can answer some questions. There is also a link in there from where I got the fittings…

With PVC you can build just about any shape and size structure you want. Use your imagination. 10' PVC pipes were about $3 a piece. Connectors range anywhere from $.30 - $4. Had to order a couple of them online @ http://flexpvc.com/ .The only thing you really need is a hack saw, which was about $7. Everything else slips into place. I’m planning on duct taping joints for strength when set up.

You can bend PVC into curves or whatever shape you need with heat. Once it cools it will hold. To make the bends I boiled water, capped both ends and filled with a funnel. Bent around some stakes I put in the ground and let cool. Every piece will come out exactly the same. When completed I would suggest numbering or color coding the pieces for ease of setup later.
    also is there any point to having a bottom frame for your structure? i feel like if you have proper staking it shouldn't make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by kerby14 View Post
    also is there any point to having a bottom frame for your structure? i feel like if you have proper staking it shouldn't make a difference?
    Way more stable... Can't always rely on stakes.
    2013 Weekend 2 - Camping

My Set List

Friday - Aesop Rock, Band of Horses, Bassnectar, Jurrasic 5, Luciano, Metric, Modest Mouse, Of Monsters and Men, Polica, Purity Ring, Yeah Yeah Yeah's
    Saturday - Dropkick Murphys, The Postal Service, Puscifer, Savages,
    Sunday - The Gaslight Anthem, La Roux, The Lumineers, Paul Oakenfield, RHCP, Social Distortion, Wu-Tang Clan

Coachella's Attended -

2011, 2012, 2013

yeah but the difference between my structure and nachocat's is that mine is retention based whereas his is just pre-shaped pvc..wondering what kind of a difference that makes

Bumping this.
    Has anyone tried building one of these?
    Where's Underworld and Mew? Make it happen GV.

here are some links I found recently that I"m using for this year's inspiration.

I'm not much of a pinterist girl, but this has some neat ideas:http://www.pinterest.com/cleanhippie...tival-camping/

this is just a bunch of how tos and tips, but it might be useful for someone: http://festivalscamping.com

and here's a simple swamp cooler you can make for $20 to keep your tent cool: http://snowcalla.livejournal.com/605173.html
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011
    • 2012 • 2013
    11/19 Night Terrors of 1927 at Soda Bar • 11/11 & 11/18 Night Terrors of 1927 at The Echo
    1/23 Dent May at The Echo • 1/19/14 Volcano Choir at H.o.B. San Diego

this thread is amazing.

to follow up on my monkey hut, we had the dimensions for a 12x15 hut but it staked it at 10x15 feet wide because we were using it over two spots and didn't know in which direction we would have the two spots..we went week 1 with the winds and as far as staking goes we pre-drilled holes at the bottom of each pvc piece at like 3 different angles to put metal stakes into the ground and did that on the 4 inside legs but on the 4 corner legs we still used rebar used rebar on the four corners and despite the winds all through saturday night and all day and/night sunday not even the stakes were in jeopardy of being pulled out.

LA, Southern California fool-the west coast.

Bored at work bump. Anyone have any cool ideas? I was thinking of painting my flagpole with glow in the dark paint this year so it's easier to see at night.

Also, I just built a pretty cool LED tape set up with cheap LED tape, hooked it up to a 12v battery that i got on amazon for $10- that thing will run for at least 10 hours per battery

Speaking of flagpoles, what do you use? I've heard a few different ideas from those extendable pool cleaner handles to sch 40 PVC to an actual portable flagpole (that costs way too much). We used standard pvc last year and it ended up breaking in the Saturday night wind. We may have gone a bit too tall... 20+ ft I think.

I think PVC flagpoles max out around 16' anything taller than that will be too floppy in the wind. I was planning on using 2x 8' PVC Pieces with a connector and drill a hole through it to stake it down.

I believe we tried 3x 6' PVC pieces with connectors, possibly 8' but I don't think it was that tall. It looked majestic but was bending pretty hard in the wind and finally snapped on the 3rd night. We had wrapped an EL wire around it just in case, and duct taped it to the side of our EZ up, so it would fall onto our EZ ups instead of get blown into someone's head. Someone recommended thicker PVC but maybe we just need to be a little less ambitious with the height.

glow paint doesn't do much since it rarely gets dark enough for it to work. UV paint might be better, but you'd need a UV light to make it work.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011
    • 2012 • 2013
    11/19 Night Terrors of 1927 at Soda Bar • 11/11 & 11/18 Night Terrors of 1927 at The Echo
    1/23 Dent May at The Echo • 1/19/14 Volcano Choir at H.o.B. San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    glow paint doesn't do much since it rarely gets dark enough for it to work. UV paint might be better, but you'd need a UV light to make it work.

Thanks for the heads up. Amazon order cancelled.

Has anyone made their own portable shower in previous years that works pretty well and if so how?

I'm sure I could figure it out but that requires thinking
    crab fries

http://www.amazon.com/Seattle-Sports.../dp/B001F1ZPNA

Just buy this. I got lucky and camped next to a fence last year so I tied this to the fence and showered under it, but this year i'm planning on building a wood plank i can hang this off of and ratchet strap it to my roof rack with a kidde pool under it so you don't get the ground all wet. There are options with pressure but they get expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by enginedown View Post
    Speaking of flagpoles, what do you use? I've heard a few different ideas from those extendable pool cleaner handles to sch 40 PVC to an actual portable flagpole (that costs way too much). We used standard pvc last year and it ended up breaking in the Saturday night wind. We may have gone a bit too tall... 20+ ft I think.
    I'll have to search back to find out who posted about this last year, but a wise guy on here recommended these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sunoptics...353X/203431745
    He sold his soul for a shot at fame
    Catchphrase and wigs and the jokes are lame...

We slept in our car last year (SUV) and I used this full size mattress from amazon for my husband and I: http://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Master-6...=foam+mattress We felt so rested each day AND the windstorm didn't keep us up all night.

This year I really want to tackle the shower situation and have our own set up.

Cross posted from another thread. Here is the method my friend came up with to secure our Big 5 canopies between our two sites. They lasted through the wind storm too

We did stake the canopies down as well using metal stakes.

Last edited by CaseSensitive; 02-12-2014 at 04:00 PM.

did you just ask the parking director people that you be positioned back to back?
    crab fries

We had three spots actually, so it worked out. We didn't show up planning to do this, it just fell into place. BUT, I like to think they'd have let us be back to back if we had two spots and asked nicely

Yes last year i planned to set up four cars back to back like that, no issue at all. I say, if you are unhappy with your spot pull around and jump back in line and then offer all your goodies to the folks who let you cut totally worth it to not get a spot by porto potties or the end of the street

What do you guys think? I believe its just a prototype right now but it looks awesome... Obviously swap the heated floor for AC and we'd be golden.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-10271672-54.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kindoy View Post
    Has anyone made their own portable shower in previous years that works pretty well and if so how?

I'm sure I could figure it out but that requires thinking
    We share a solar shower with the people that we camp with (they bought it and we've used it the past two years, this will be the third). You can set it up to actually shower you, but what we ended up doing to save time/hassle was bringing jugs of water that we left in the sun, and then pouring them over ourselves when we took showers. It does the trick! You really just need a place to be naked without people seeing you, which is what we used the "shower" for.

Quote Originally Posted by NachoCat View Post

Thanks for this! My boyfriend ended up making something similar for our campsite. Question: what kind of fabric did you use in the doorway? I'm looking up a couple different options but am interested in what you used.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.