Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Camp Site Innovations Thread

Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

"quantities will be limited"

in other words they want us to have our shit blow away?

Never thought I'd see the day when I had to smuggle in my tent stakes and hammer.

Game on.
    With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams; it is still a beautiful world.
    Coachella: 08, 09, 10, 11, 12w1, 12w2, 13w1, 14w2
    Lollapalooza: 08,10,11,12
    Burning Man: 08,10

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    On my flight yesterday, I watched a tv episode which gave me new purpose when it comes to Coachella camping this spring:

dafuq! Awesome!

Meant for chickens but....

Quote Originally Posted by SameOldSong View Post
    Any help appreciated here.

I'm really into the idea of having as wide-open a space as possible so we can chill and hangout before and after the shows. So I'm thinking of bringing a canopy, no tent, laying area rugs down, and putting up sunscreens on each side to basically have an enclosed 10x10 space at night. We can roll up the suncreens during the day to let light in.

Here's the canopy I'm looking at: http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Gear-Sma...414711&sr=8-12

It comes with shade screens, which will be useful during the day. For privacy at night and to keep heat out in the morning, I'm looking at two or four of these sunscreens things. http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Smart-Su...0414711&sr=8-3

My concerns are:

1. Will it be too cold without a tent? I plan to bring sleeping bags and thermal layers to wear.

2. How big a concern is privacy? Would it be unusual to sleep in a canopy that people can see into? Not that concerned about "getting it on" or anything, just don't want to be the only one drooling on my sleeping bag in plain view.

3. Is it worth it to buy the canopy with shadecloths linked above, or should I just buy a plain one? Not that concerned about price, just not sure if it'd be useful to have shadecloths + sunscreens.

Thanks!

I know that this was from last year, but it may be relevant for some folks this year :-)

In 2010 we used a 10x10 canopy WITH a tent..not the greatest idea for airflow/sweating concerns

In 2011, we used a 10x10 canopy WITHOUT a tent and this worked out well. In the early am, one of us would wake up and unzip both ends of the canopy to allow the breeze in, allowing far more sleep to be had. Obviously this was back when there was only ONE weekend, and even then we froze our asses off, though, this is precisely why we brought a buncha cheapie mylar sheets. Sandwiched a mylar in between our sheets and we were good to go! On another note, for those of you who don't want to trek to the portapotty to piss in the middle of the night, a canopy makes peeing in some sort of suitable receptacle easy vs. just being in a tent.

I don't get the impression anyone gives a flying fuck about privacy when it comes to mere sleeping. I'm thinking the types of people who would scoff at your pillow drool are already planning to stay in a hotel anyhow ;-) However, if you plan to chill in the middle of the day, some type of screening is necessary, or what's the point of leaving the Dolab?

The only slightly weird thing I did in 2011 was spray for ants before furnishing the canopy. It helped cut down the number of ants since we didn't bring a large enough rug/blanket to cover the entire 10x10 floor area :-) Whether or not it was a placebo effect, I dunno, but we did have less ant population than neighboring campers.
    4/19 Coachella
    4/27 Crystal Castles
    6/21 EDC (Vegas)
    10/6 Depeche Mode

Quote Originally Posted by whatkilesaid View Post
    They had these solar chargers at Costco for $60. It's thin and light and charges anything. http://www.amazon.com/Goal0-12301-No...uct/B00452EO7Y
    I have the Goal Zero Nomad 7 with two battery packs. You can walk around with it on your backpack to charge a USB device or the batteries itself. You can charge the batteries off a 12v from the car too. I highly recommend it.

Necie! I have to know, how was A Perfect Circle in Vegas?

Im so Jelly right now!

The Postal Service - Greek Theater - July 27
    Outside Lands - Golden Gate Park - August 9-11

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    Just wash your hands off after. I don't want to be high fiving your stink palm.

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

I don't know what the fuck I'm going to do about trying to stake down my shit without real (i.e. metal) stakes, but in terms of mallets, the canadian camping mallet is one empty beer can crushed flat and then used as a metal buffer between the stake and your shoe as you stomp it in. don't try to stomp in metal tent stakes without the can. you'll punch a hole in your shoe/foot. and the plastic ones don't go into the polo field. they just snap. I speak from enough experience.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

These with a tennis ball over them are the way to go. Sneak them in. The grass is soft enough and these are strong enough to just push in.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Ahhh my favorite thread alive again
    Coachella '10, '11, '12 (w2), '13 (w1), '14 (w1) and hopefully every one after

"I was born with music inside me. Music was one of my parts. Like my ribs, my kidneys, my liver, my heart. Like my blood. It was a force already within me when I arrived on the scene. It was a necessity for me-like food or water."
    Ray Charles

you really should not be bringing a tent. even last year during weekend 1 with how cold it got on the first and second nights i think that having tarps up on all four sides with a canopy provided a better shelter for the cold...and obviously the benefits of not having a tent during the day can go without saying

Quote Originally Posted by kerby14 View Post
    you really should not be bringing a tent. even last year during weekend 1 with how cold it got on the first and second nights i think that having tarps up on all four sides with a canopy provided a better shelter for the cold...and obviously the benefits of not having a tent during the day can go without saying
    How did you secure the tarps to the canopy and how did you stop the tarps from blowing around all night?

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    just make sure and check the rules when the website is updated. they will be updated. they do not want metal stakes, mallets, etc. sadly as with most rules, it only takes a couple douche's to ruin for everyone else.
    Let's talk rule innovations. I think the prohibition on branded/logo'd canopies is new? Anyone see other changes?

They allow plastic stakes. I think they had that in the rules last year about no branded logo'd canopies or vehicles. I don't mind this, I don't care what you are selling or what sports team you are going to flaunt all weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by sassypants View Post
    How did you secure the tarps to the canopy and how did you stop the tarps from blowing around all night?
    We did the same and our tarp had grommets for rope and stuff. However, we used zip ties. We also had like 4 canopies all together zip tied together so it made it even sturdier against wind.

I would recommend trying to find breathable material or remembering to roll up the tarps a bit for air flow. Otherwise it gets warmer.

Quote Originally Posted by GDSD573 View Post
    They allow plastic stakes. I think they had that in the rules last year about no branded logo'd canopies or vehicles. I don't mind this, I don't care what you are selling or what sports team you are going to flaunt all weekend.
    They did. I remember because one of my friends couldn't bring the canopy from his work. But overall, I like the rule.

Since day one of joining this board the Number 1 concern was staking down canopys and tents...I walked into Big 5 the other day and the first thing I saw was weights for canopys and tents to keep them from blowing away...they don't even go into the ground, they were inexpensive and looked more than effective.

I'm sure Big 5 isn't the only sporting goods store to have them, I suggest everyone shut the fuck up about stakes and hammers now please...

Quote Originally Posted by Stickjohn View Post
    Let's talk rule innovations. I think the prohibition on branded/logo'd canopies is new? Anyone see other changes?
    The unbranded canopies rule is not new. I remember they had it last year. The thought process behind it, if I'm not mistaken, is they don't want people advertising their companies and whatnot on their canopies. If the canopy says "EZ UP" on it, or something to that matter, it's fine.

Also, I was scouring the interwebz for camping stuff and stumbled upon this, which I think would be cool (maybe a little unnecessary)
    http://www.coolthings.com/hygienna-solo/
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Coachella will come out of the closet announcing it's gay. Most will applaud it while some will sell their passes.

This will be my 4th Coachella (time flies), however this is the first one in which I am returning without being broke as a motherfucker (prolly due to the payment plan making me broke all year instead). So feel like going in prepped and ready to go.

Few questions for all you swell people -

SPEAKERS:Anyone have any decent, modestly priced portable speakers they swear by? Just looking for something that will last the weekend with minimal battery changing and maximum reliability... Obviously won't be at camp during the day, but everyone needs some morning tunes to take morning Jack shots... Nectar of the gods and such.

Canopies (Canopi?): Last year was BANANAS with wind and such. Many a' ruined sites due to desert storm 2012. Who bought what, and why did it or why didn't it work? Saw this one from previous threads - http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Instan...dp/B004E4CUBK/ as well as this one http://www.amazon.com/Standing-Room-...dp/B006FMAO08/

Other cool gadgets: saw these mentioned, will prolly pick up a couple - http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Stainl...dp/B0000644AF/
    And not gonna lie will prolly get a pong-a-long as well for some morning beerpong - http://www.amazon.com/Beer-Pong-Tabl...dp/B007ALU6HY/
    Also saw that nifty solar power pack mentioned above... http://www.amazon.com/Goal-Zero-1230...dp/B00452EO7Y/ Is that worth the 75 bones? Using the car to charge phones has never really been a problem in my opinion.

My bad if this is getting of the topic of "innovation"... More of a shopping list I suppose.

i'll probably get a car canopy this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    You guys are mean. Sexy people are not meant to be smart.

August 1 - Echo and the Bunnymen - Orpheum
    August 4 - Arcade Fire - SB Bowl
    August 23/24 - FYF Fest - Expo park
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Quote Originally Posted by sassypants View Post
    zip ties and duct tape

going to be making monkey huts for our 3 sites this year tho planning to use them again at lib and bm so figure it's worth it

Quote Originally Posted by kerby14 View Post
    zip ties and duct tape

going to be making monkey huts for our 3 sites this year tho planning to use them again at lib and bm so figure it's worth it
    Monkey huts? Please explain.

Edit never mind, just looked it up. What is the advantage compared to a canopy and tarps?

i guess just to be able to take it to desert parties and burningman..and it's a little cheaper to make one than to buy a new ez-up. i know there are cheaper ones too but a monkey hut just seems like a fun thing to make as well as a good investment

Instructions on how to build your own monkey hut. On the cheap too!

http://www.chromatest.net/Lovemonkey/
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Is that written in some sort of underground rat language I'm not familiar with?

[QUOTE=blackchango;2663453]Instructions on how to build your own monkey hut. On the cheap too!

Yeah, these are the things that end up denting people's car(s) and end up in a dump pile - if you do this, please secure!

Those monkey huts don't seem very space efficient to me. Maybe because I'm tall, but it sure seem like a canopy with vertical walls could fit more in the limited width of spaces we're given.

excellent illustrations
    Coachella 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12A, 13A

Quote Originally Posted by Jankypirate View Post
    excellent illustrations
    I'm going to have to agree.

i like the monkey hut idea, and the ex up idea... and after getting a little bit of shit about asking about large tents, etc., and worrying about heat, as long as we use reflective tarps what is the difference between an EZ up with tarp walls, a monkey hut with tarp cover, and this tent?

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-14x10-.../dp/B003QUT9OE

probably expensive as crap, but....http://vimeo.com/19659773#