Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Camp Site Innovations Thread

Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

There is no way rebar is allowed inside the camp area. Sandbags are pretty common from what Ive seen the past 3 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    I jacked off 4 times today all before work! true story!
    Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    Spicy pie or die, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda421 View Post
    There is no way rebar is allowed inside the camp area. Sandbags are pretty common from what Ive seen the past 3 years.
    I actually saw people using rebar as stakes last year. I'm not saying they were allowed, but, like anything else, people still got them in.
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Coachella will come out of the closet announcing it's gay. Most will applaud it while some will sell their passes.

if we had like buckets of sand at each quarter to stick the pvc pipes in is that enough to be sturdy or would we bring sand bags and weigh down our tarps with it?

That I cannot help you with because Ive only used stakes and tie downs. Our neighbor used sandbags to hold down an ez-up last year that got blown away on Thursday evening. It held, but in the end destroyed the ez-up.
    Spicy pie or die, bitch.

I was able to sneak in my steaks this year, but an alternative would be to simply lower the ez up down and/or take off the canopy. It's perhaps a bit of a hassle to do each day, but it would make for a quick solution rather than having pack buckets of sand
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

that is absolutely beautiful and i would totally love to do something like that..my only question is how is it staked?

normal tent stakes with rope around the pvc to hold it

awesome! did you go week 1 this year and use this? im assuming that as long as the stakes and pvc are tied tightly enough together it should be no issue

Good job, NachoCat, it looks great! now you just need some area rugs for inside
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) • 10/3-5 Austin City Limits •

in reality, what's so crucial about area rugs? the grass seems like the best area rug to me!

weekend one at least, but even then it can be nice to have an escape from the grass to sit on without getting itchy.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) • 10/3-5 Austin City Limits •

Quote Originally Posted by kerby14 View Post
    in reality, what's so crucial about area rugs? the grass seems like the best area rug to me!
    As far from the ground as you can get is great, these friendly creatures are quite common in the American Southwest.

fireant.jpg

i've never noticed ants on the polo fields before, hmm

I haven't noticed any fire ants in the 3 years Ive been going. Do a lot of you feel itchy from the grass at the Polo Fields? I'm guessing I don't feel itchy because I'm in my favorite place on the planet.
    Spicy pie or die, bitch.

I just bought a tent cot. I'm really looking forward to using it this year. And hotboxing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Not true at all. I have built PVC structures twice using rebar (8-10 2foot long pieces) for the past two years, and security saw them both times with the PVC. Nothing in the FAQ disallows rebar or stakes (which I always have a couple dozen for the tent and ez-ups), so I don't know where people get their information.

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...=1#post2395609
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    This is why you're a semi-employed cheetoh-munching fucktard.

old school

Last year they were confiscating tent stakes for what reason I don't know. Pretty damn stupid considering the amount of winds the valley gets there. My friends rental car was severly dented by a popup gone airborne. We bitched at the frat kids but they said that their stakes were taken at the gate by security and were not allowed. Somebody could've got really hurt by the force of something like that hitting them.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    holy shit dude
    ^I earned this.^

"Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

i saw one guy get taken down as the wind grabbed his ez up and dropped it on his fucking head.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

i've never noticed ants on the polo fields before, hmm
    We saw them last year in the camp ground but not in any other past years. My daughter got about 8-9 bites on her toes when we were setting up camp and they did swell up pretty bad. We all tried to wear closed shoes in our camp area after that which was not too hard with the cooler temperatures at last years first weekend.

if we had like buckets of sand at each quarter to stick the pvc pipes in is that enough to be sturdy or would we bring sand bags and weigh down our tarps with it?
    We actually used water containers, a 2 1/2 gallon container zip tied to each corner of our easy up and it worked great but before we used the water for ballast idea one of our easy ups was taken by the wind gods. Caused a good dent in a rental truck:-( As the weather improved we used the water.

Maybe it's because our camping plans went awry last year, but I just got weirdly aroused seeing this thread already.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by NachoCat View Post

this is awesome. making a base is a great idea to help keep the structure down in the wind, that bottom bar can be nailed down all over, sweet.

My dad had some old pvc lying around so i made this work for Symbi0sis...

10 x 12 footprint. the combination of head room with the reflective tarps (grey one side, black other) works wonderful. Heavy duty ones are best so they don't flap in the wind loudly.

We were camped in sand, and I used rebar with 2 ft exposed and slipped the pvc over it. no chance of slicing your or anyone else's leg open bc the rebar is completely hidden. tied guy wires to keep it taut on this end and had zero issues with 50mph winds, kept my tent cool every day, I highly recommend it using pvc.

You have mentioned the forbidden!

Coleman 10-inch steel stakes are all you need. Held my canopy down in the winds while all the surrounding campsites were being tragically uprooted. As far as sneaking them in, just put them in your spare tire compartment, or your sleeping bag or something.

http://www.afterschool.com/p/coleman...la&cagpspn=pla
    The Replacements - OutKast - The Knife - HAIM - Bonobo - Afghan Whigs - The Glitch Mob - The Cult - Shlohmo - Waxahatchee - Wye Oak

Queens of the Stone Age - Pharrell Williams - Pet Shop Boys - Empire of the Sun - Fatboy Slim - Nas - Kid Cudi - Warpaint - Mogwai - Foxygen - The Dismemberment Plan - Blood Orange

Arcade Fire - Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Disclosure - Motorhead - Duck Sauce - Little Dragon - Toy Dolls - Fishbone - Superchunk - Daughter - Surfer Blood

i've had the most success with ^those in high winds as well on different trips. probably the best bang for your buck when it comes to stakes, so to speak. sharp as hell though!

Quote Originally Posted by roboticwaltz View Post
    Coleman 10-inch steel stakes are all you need. Held my canopy down in the winds while all the surrounding campsites were being tragically uprooted. As far as sneaking them in, just put them in your spare tire compartment, or your sleeping bag or something.

http://www.afterschool.com/p/coleman...la&cagpspn=pla
    unless you're using a pvc structure without holes for stakes

Quote Originally Posted by TheClares View Post
    Nothing in the FAQ disallows rebar or stakes (which I always have a couple dozen for the tent and ez-ups), so I don't know where people get their information.
    just make sure and check the rules when the website is updated. they will be updated. they do not want metal stakes, mallets, etc. sadly as with most rules, it only takes a couple douche's to ruin for everyone else.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

i have a serious problem with not wanting metal stakes...do those that make the rules not realize how futile plastic ones are? this is the desert and winds blow up - i have a picture of what my friend referred to as a canopy graveyard from friday in weekend 1 last year and we were almost late to a set because we had to help take down TWO different neighboring canopies that the wind were ready to uproot for the safety of our own selves..this could really easily have been solved if said people would have used metal stakes and this was just in our neighboring area - i can only imagine how many others had to deal with this stuff too and it's so easily preventable - and that last point is the biggest reason why i have such a problem - it's SO easily preventable

All car camping and tent camping patrons must use Coachella approved stakes, they will be available at the general store in packs of 4, starting at 15.99 per pack, quantities will be limited so visit the general store early

Also stay tuned for info regarding past merchandise!!! $5 any item, items will be available either on Thursday or whenever we feel like it