Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 307

Thread: Camp Site Innovations Thread

  1. #121
    Member Jankypirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    411

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    This year we're building up. Ive got a 12'x12' platform folding open off my roof rack for a 2nd floor party deck. Just finished building the 20' crows nest that deploys in seconds with one bolt. The electric misting system will be back but this year Im bringing the swamp cooler too. We'll have plenty of power from the industrial grade power inverter I just got permission to borrow for the weekend.

    Come find us during week 2. Look for the 6x10 jolly roger flying about 35' high. Bring your own rum ye scurvy bastards!
    Coachella 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12A, 13A

  2. #122
    Member Dustin da DnB Soulja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Shitty Fernando Valley
    Posts
    1,605

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jankypirate View Post
    This year we're building up. Ive got a 12'x12' platform folding open off my roof rack for a 2nd floor party deck. Just finished building the 20' crows nest that deploys in seconds with one bolt. The electric misting system will be back but this year Im bringing the swamp cooler too. We'll have plenty of power from the industrial grade power inverter I just got permission to borrow for the weekend.

    Come find us during week 2. Look for the 6x10 jolly roger flying about 35' high. Bring your own rum ye scurvy bastards!
    wtf did you build the platform on top of a truck? and then it's fold out legs or what?
    COACHELLA 2014

    DAFT PUNK,... Ronald Jenkees! Outkast!! Prodigy! Faithless! Underworld! London Elektricity! (live set) Future Sound of London! DJ Yoda (DVJ Set!) Dillinja and Lemon D w/ the Valve Soundsystem, Ed Solo & Deekline! Dizzee Rascal!

  3. #123
    Member Jankypirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    411

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    Yeah its on the roof rack of my truck. Actually its 3 4x12 platforms that stack on top for transportation and then will be rotated perpendicular to the truck and secured to the rack with ratchet straps at the campground.
    Coachella 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12A, 13A

  4. #124
    Member vdubshani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    vegas
    Posts
    167

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    Janky ain't kiddin with his campsites! Camped next to him randomly in '10 then caravaned down from vegas in '11...went vert last year and this year only promises to be even higher and better...I wish I could go weekend 2 also to see this!
    and the fact that you've got replica written down the side of your guns, and the fact that I've got desert eagle point five o written down the side of mine, should precipitate your balls into shrinking, along with your presence...

  5. #125

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jankypirate View Post
    This year we're building up. Come find us during week 2. Look for the 6x10 jolly roger flying about 35' high. Bring your own rum ye scurvy bastards!
    Ai Ai Captain!
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

  6. #126
    Member NachoCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    2,499

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread



    Custom tent. 10 x 15 x 8 and should fit in a 10 x 30 spot with small car just perfectly. Wanted something wth standing room. Fits 2 queen air mattress on one half perfectly and a 10x7 spot that will have a shag rug on the other side. Discoball to hang in the center. Made with 1 inch schedule 40 PVC pipe. Bought a massive tarp from Lowes that covers the entire thing. Sewing all that together now. Huge picture window on one side probably about 4 x 8. Got some industrial zippers from an upholstery store for that. Inside will be in the theme of a arabian smoke hut or something like that. Bought a lof of sheer fabrics that we are going to drape all over the inside so it feels super comfy and plush. The front will have a huge zipper on it to open it up and have an open air tent for during the day.
    Last edited by NachoCat; 02-16-2012 at 08:15 AM.

  7. #127

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    ^Very nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

  8. #128
    Member Jankypirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    411

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    Yeah nice tent, gonna be sweet
    Coachella 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12A, 13A

  9. #129
    Member blackchango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Mount Kilamanjaro
    Posts
    1,976

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NachoCat View Post


    Custom tent. 10 x 15 x 8 and should fit in a 10 x 30 spot with small car just perfectly. Wanted something wth standing room. Fits 2 queen air mattress on one half perfectly and a 10x7 spot that will have a shag rug on the other side. Discoball to hang in the center. Made with 1 inch schedule 40 PVC pipe. Bought a massive tarp from Lowes that covers the entire thing. Sewing all that together now. Huge picture window on one side probably about 4 x 8. Got some industrial zippers from an upholstery store for that. Inside will be in the theme of a arabian smoke hut or something like that. Bought a lof of sheer fabrics that we are going to drape all over the inside so it feels super comfy and plush. The front will have a huge zipper on it to open it up and have an open air tent for during the day.
    Nice !
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Is that written in some sort of underground rat language I'm not familiar with?

  10. #130
    old school instinct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    anaheim
    Posts
    2,734

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    I have about 75 feet of 12" Box Trussing. Can I use this in my camp site for shade(Psychic Friend)? I am a certified rigger.

    OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

    Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff



  11. #131
    Member vertin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    209

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    Anyone use a tent shower? My neighbors had one last year and they were nice. No lines, cold shower. Let filed up a container with water from the sinks and used it.
    2010
    2011
    2012w1
    2013w1

  12. #132
    old school Goatchella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,798

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    We have two solar showers and a toilet.
    Self sufficient

  13. #133
    Member blueduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    965

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NachoCat View Post


    Custom tent. 10 x 15 x 8 and should fit in a 10 x 30 spot with small car just perfectly. Wanted something wth standing room. Fits 2 queen air mattress on one half perfectly and a 10x7 spot that will have a shag rug on the other side. Discoball to hang in the center. Made with 1 inch schedule 40 PVC pipe. Bought a massive tarp from Lowes that covers the entire thing. Sewing all that together now. Huge picture window on one side probably about 4 x 8. Got some industrial zippers from an upholstery store for that. Inside will be in the theme of a arabian smoke hut or something like that. Bought a lof of sheer fabrics that we are going to drape all over the inside so it feels super comfy and plush. The front will have a huge zipper on it to open it up and have an open air tent for during the day.
    Do you have anymore pics? Can you write out a tutorial?
    Friday: Outkast | Girl Talk | HAIM | Bonobo | Flume | Wye Oak | The Preatures
    Saturday: Lorde | Sleigh Bells | CHVRCHES | Capital Cities | Warpaint | Washed Out | Banks
    Sunday: Arcade Fire | Beck | Disclosure | Lana Del Rey | AlunaGeorge | Superchunk | Daughter | Poolside

  14. #134

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by blueduck View Post
    Do you have anymore pics? Can you write out a tutorial?
    i agree. and how much did it cost to build?

  15. #135
    old school Goatchella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,798

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    PVC is cheap.

  16. #136
    Member NachoCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    2,499

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    With PVC you can build just about any shape and size structure you want. Use your imagination. 10' PVC pipes were about $3 a piece. Connectors range anywhere from $.30 - $4. Had to order a couple of them online @ http://flexpvc.com/ .The only thing you really need is a hack saw, which was about $7. Everything else slips into place. Im planing on duct taping joints for strength when set up.

    You can bend PVC into curves or whatever shape you need with heat. Once it cools it will hold. To make the bends I boiled water, capped both ends and filled with a funnel. Bent around some stakes I put in the ground and let cool. Every piece will come out exactly the same. When completed I would suggest numbering or color coding the pieces for ease of setup later.

    Ill post more pics when I do some more work to it. Shopping around for different fabrics right now and figuring out a lighting system. Sheer material is going to be throught so with back lighting it should give off a pretty cool glowing effect.

  17. #137

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    very nice Nacho Cat! is there any worry of wind getting inside that thing and carrying it a bit? would you just use tent stakes or what?

  18. #138
    Member TheClares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Posts
    614

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    Nacho Cat, that looks AWESOME!

    Here is a tutorial of sorts for the PVC structure we used last year as a common shade area. This requires no permanent bends and no horizontal ground pieces, just rebar and stress which held it all together while EZ-Ups were literally flying around us during one strong gust.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheClares View Post
    Decided our group needed a larger shaded communal area, so I borrowed an idea from a guy who built something similar for Burning Man. Here is my test run of building a PVC Shade structure. The dimensions are about 10 feet wide, 13 feet long and about 8 feet tall.

    I used 1/2 inch PVC, and 2 foot tall rebar, buried about 9 inches deep.



    After connecting the arch pieces together and putting them on the rebar, I connected the arches with tee connectors on the ends, and cross connectors in the middle.



    I am 6'3+, so this shows you the height and width of the structure.





    Attached Coolaroo 90 percent UV shade cloth from Home Depot online ($20 a roll for 6'x15'), and placed it on one side. I will put another on the other side on the polo grounds.



    I attached strategically with zip ties, and made sure it is adjustable on each side for early morning and late afternoon.



    Here is the shadow it casts just before sunset.



    And here is the sun through the shade cloth.

    And the final product, at Coachella, which was shown earlier in this thread...



    The nice thing about this design is that it is adaptable. I initially measured this to be 10 feet wide, but we squeezed it into about 9 feet of space by moving cars closer together. I also was able to redesign the length by moving around 4 and 5 foot sections so people could get into their car doors. T and Cross connectors are the key, and I got all I needed at Home Depot and Ace Hardware (which was a better place for the connectors).
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    This is why you're a semi-employed cheetoh-munching fucktard.

  19. #139
    Member blueduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    965

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TheClares View Post
    Nacho Cat, that looks AWESOME!

    Here is a tutorial of sorts for the PVC structure we used last year as a common shade area. This requires no permanent bends and no horizontal ground pieces, just rebar and stress which held it all together while EZ-Ups were literally flying around us during one strong gust.



    And the final product, at Coachella, which was shown earlier in this thread...



    The nice thing about this design is that it is adaptable. I initially measured this to be 10 feet wide, but we squeezed it into about 9 feet of space by moving cars closer together. I also was able to redesign the length by moving around 4 and 5 foot sections so people could get into their car doors. T and Cross connectors are the key, and I got all I needed at Home Depot and Ace Hardware (which was a better place for the connectors).
    Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You
    Friday: Outkast | Girl Talk | HAIM | Bonobo | Flume | Wye Oak | The Preatures
    Saturday: Lorde | Sleigh Bells | CHVRCHES | Capital Cities | Warpaint | Washed Out | Banks
    Sunday: Arcade Fire | Beck | Disclosure | Lana Del Rey | AlunaGeorge | Superchunk | Daughter | Poolside

  20. #140
    old school Stickjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    3,500

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    I like Nachocats' design better because it will hold a dog.

  21. #141

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jankypirate View Post
    This year we're building up. Ive got a 12'x12' platform folding open off my roof rack for a 2nd floor party deck. Just finished building the 20' crows nest that deploys in seconds with one bolt. The electric misting system will be back but this year Im bringing the swamp cooler too. We'll have plenty of power from the industrial grade power inverter I just got permission to borrow for the weekend.

    Come find us during week 2. Look for the 6x10 jolly roger flying about 35' high. Bring your own rum ye scurvy bastards!
    Id really like to get a visual! any pics?

  22. #142

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    Something like this would be really cool.

    This would help to save space if you had a lot of people in your camp though I imagine it becomes like an oven if you dont use an eazy up for shade.

  23. #143
    romanticizer
    Guest

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    If only they weren't so expensive!

  24. #144

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by romanticizer View Post
    If only they weren't so expensive!
    Yeah they're pricey but it would give you so much extra space to do activities.

  25. #145

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by vertin View Post
    Anyone use a tent shower? My neighbors had one last year and they were nice. No lines, cold shower. Let filed up a container with water from the sinks and used it.
    Yeah we had one last year. It was awesome. We drained the melted ice from our coolers into the solar bags every morning and it would be a great way to cool off and start the day. Then we would shower at night once we warmed the water all day. We just bought the walmart one and it seemed to work quite well.

  26. #146
    romanticizer
    Guest

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    I have a shower tent as well. I used it for the first time a couple months ago and it was incredibly convenient and refreshing to be able to have a shower with some privacy.

  27. #147
    Member Jankypirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    411

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    This is the platform that deploys on top my roof rack. Just finished building the pvc frame that goes on it. It will have thin white fabric fitted for a roof and the 8 side panels will be on shower curtain rings so we can open or close all the sides at will.

    I glued many of the joints so it comes apart into straight segments and then marked all the unglued joints with different color paint to make assembly quick and easy.

    IMG_20120225_130547.jpg

    Need to post a pic of the roof rack it goes on.
    Coachella 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12A, 13A

  28. #148
    old school Goatchella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,798

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    Your crazy. I like that.

  29. #149

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    Any help appreciated here.

    I'm really into the idea of having as wide-open a space as possible so we can chill and hangout before and after the shows. So I'm thinking of bringing a canopy, no tent, laying area rugs down, and putting up sunscreens on each side to basically have an enclosed 10x10 space at night. We can roll up the suncreens during the day to let light in.

    Here's the canopy I'm looking at: http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Gear-Sma...414711&sr=8-12

    It comes with shade screens, which will be useful during the day. For privacy at night and to keep heat out in the morning, I'm looking at two or four of these sunscreens things. http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Smart-Su...0414711&sr=8-3

    My concerns are:

    1. Will it be too cold without a tent? I plan to bring sleeping bags and thermal layers to wear.

    2. How big a concern is privacy? Would it be unusual to sleep in a canopy that people can see into? Not that concerned about "getting it on" or anything, just don't want to be the only one drooling on my sleeping bag in plain view.

    3. Is it worth it to buy the canopy with shadecloths linked above, or should I just buy a plain one? Not that concerned about price, just not sure if it'd be useful to have shadecloths + sunscreens.

    Thanks!

  30. #150
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    southern california
    Posts
    98

    Default Re: Camp Site Innovations Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SameOldSong View Post
    Any help appreciated here.

    I'm really into the idea of having as wide-open a space as possible so we can chill and hangout before and after the shows. So I'm thinking of bringing a canopy, no tent, laying area rugs down, and putting up sunscreens on each side to basically have an enclosed 10x10 space at night. We can roll up the suncreens during the day to let light in.

    Here's the canopy I'm looking at: http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Gear-Sma...414711&sr=8-12

    It comes with shade screens, which will be useful during the day. For privacy at night and to keep heat out in the morning, I'm looking at two or four of these sunscreens things. http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Smart-Su...0414711&sr=8-3

    My concerns are:

    1. Will it be too cold without a tent? I plan to bring sleeping bags and thermal layers to wear.

    2. How big a concern is privacy? Would it be unusual to sleep in a canopy that people can see into? Not that concerned about "getting it on" or anything, just don't want to be the only one drooling on my sleeping bag in plain view.

    3. Is it worth it to buy the canopy with shadecloths linked above, or should I just buy a plain one? Not that concerned about price, just not sure if it'd be useful to have shadecloths + sunscreens.

    Thanks!
    1.no
    2.no
    3.yes.

Similar Threads

  1. WET Camp Site
    By Jefferson Blowdy in forum Camping/Lodging
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-07-2010, 10:19 AM
  2. Camp Site
    By Unicorn in forum Questions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-30-2009, 08:34 AM
  3. Sex on camp site
    By daughterxofxexile in forum Camping/Lodging
    Replies: 257
    Last Post: 04-16-2007, 09:56 AM
  4. one q about the camp site
    By Icelander in forum Camping/Lodging
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-27-2007, 05:54 PM
  5. Getting in/out of camp site
    By KrissyGirl1680 in forum Camping/Lodging
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-24-2007, 09:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •