Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: La Quinta wants Indio to delay new Coachellafest contract

Default Re: La Quinta wants Indio to delay new Coachellafest contract

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella Bound View Post
    i think your all missing the point here..... This is no longer the Indio City Council creating an issue, its the La Quinta City Council wanting their piece of the pie.

For example, the comparison made above about the OC Fair. It makes sense for you to complain if living in Costa Mesa, but thats like me complaining about it in Fountain Valley or Santa Ana.

This whole thing is about money, not noise, not traffic... GV is doing everything in its power to maintain a positive relationship w/ the surrounding communities.
    I've stayed in La Quinta for Coachella twice before and the traffic is still bad. It's only like .5 miles away from the venue, it's not Palm Springs complaining. La Quinta isn't complaining about any of the other festivals because the people that attend are an older more respectful crowd so dealing with them is no big issue.
    Last edited by Distorted_Jungle; 10-05-2011 at 01:02 PM.

I get it, but c'mon.... this is ridiculous. People are just looking for reasons to complain. There is no Big 4 anymore, that was simply a test to see if three weekends were doable. Now you have one month out of the year that major tourism is a factor in your community..... whether that major factor is positive or negative, is entirely up to you.
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    "Indio is called the "City of Festivals" and is renowned for its multi-cultural events including the
    International Tamale Festival, Coachella Music and Art Festival, Stagecoach Country Music Festival,
    Riverside County Fair & National Date Festival, and the Southwest Art Festival. These attractions
    bring over one million visitors to Indio each year.
    "
    (*source is Indio's 2010/2011 budget summary)
    I was more talking about these rather than The Big 4 and Stagecoach, plus they have golf tournaments and golfing tourists. I just don't think any of us that don't live there really have any room to talk about it's effects, one of the only people in the thread that lives in the area sides with moving the fest and I think that says a lot.

There is more than one person on this board that lives in the area and i doubt they all share the same feelings towards that idea.

But I will agree that not living in the area does limit what I can and cant say about all this.... I just think that the active participation and steps that are being taken to amend things should say a lot as well, about the kind of individuals that run Coachella. And the community should really look at that as an opportunity to make the most of this.
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

Plus this board will be mostly one sided arguments because of the natural bias we all have since we love the festival and it's location. Coachella may be making the appropriate steps but they can't control who buys tickets, and if you don't agree that the quality of attendee has gone down you're fooling yourself. Now days I think the asshole crowd outways the respectable crowd at Coachella.

Quote Originally Posted by Distorted_Jungle View Post
    Would you want these people living next to you for any amount of time?

Probably not.

Would you want to deal with this just to go to the store and grab milk on a Saturday afternoon?

Probably not.

That's all I'm saying. I live next to the OC Fair and I hate the excess traffic it creates for regular every day things, if the OC fair was something that bombarded my area with kandi ravers and obnoxious brochella frat boys I would probably hate it far more. I'm just saying I get why people out there are against the continuation of this happening, it would probably piss me off too.
    I happen to live less than a mile from Phoenix International Raceway; twice a year, 100,000 Nascar hillbillies in their motor homes converge on my suburban town, clear all the area grocery stores of their hotdogs and Bud Light supply, create ridiculous traffic issues on the two main roads that lead to the venue, and other general nonsense. (I'm not making a sweeping generalization here. Literally ALL the Bud Light and hotdogs). It's not like I don't know what types of problems exist. It also happens to be a decent revenue source for the township.

To be fair, the chromosomal differential between candy raver kids and drunken NASCAR cowboy-types are virtually indectable. I'm sure both are equally as irritating to residents. And yeah, if I lived in the area and a bunch of drunken assholes were breaking on to my property and riding my horses/swimming in my pool, I'd be pretty fucking pissed off too.
    Last edited by captncrzy; 10-05-2011 at 01:43 PM.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

I think there is an argument the Coachella Festival ends up costing La Quinta city council in logistical problems. This is what the dispute is really about. La Quinta is saying to Indio, 'this event you have causes costs from our city council revenues, how about you pay us some money'. Slice of pie, that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sushov23 View Post
    Yes it is that big an issue. I live here, and I love going to Coachella every year. some of the stories I heard about what happens to people's houses, is terrible, and I completely sympathize. I completely understand why people are pissing and moaning over the new contract. You don't live here, and can't really begin to understand, it's not just the 3 weekends, it's also the week before and after they set up. It's a whole month of inconveniencing a good amount of people. Coachella really should start looking for another site for their festival.
    Perhaps you could educate us with some details. I don't live there so it's hard for me to conceptualize what problems they might have.

Sush does not speak for even a fraction of the people who live in the area. I live in La Quinta, 4 miles from the event.

There is NO issue with anything Coachella related the week before Coachella or the week after Stagecoach.

There are minor traffic issues beginning on Thursday and those are pretty isolated to the main arteries.

There is admittedly quite a traffic cluster Friday-Sunday. We've all seen it, but still pretty limited to the main arteries. The city is currently widening Monroe near the Polo grounds to accomodate more traffic.

The only real trouble anyone from LQ has is with the tresspassers and related shenanigans in the neighborhood just to the West of the grounds. Madison is the border between the two cities.

Other than that, no one outside of the residents of Indio in the immedate area have any reason to complain.
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    Way too much money is being brought in by GV, the people complaining need to get over it and find something worthwhile bitching about. If it wasn't for GV, citizens of that area would not have a huge Walmart next to a Costco next to a Sam's Club.

GV has given to the community a ton and now that community has forgotten who has fed it.

If anyone has been attending Coachella since 04/05, would you say the town has expanded quite a bit since then? New spanish-tiled track housing says so. Looks a lot like South Orange County
    ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!!!!!!

Do you really think that this area has grown because of fucking coachella? It couldn't be the amazing golf courses all over could it be?? You really think, I mean really really think that it is because of ONE (now two) weekend of the year?! Come on *

Just to become a member at a Country Club out here is a down payment of $130,000 with up to 30,000 a year in fees. (high end). A round of golf during peak season is from 89-200 per round. and courses are full often. I know that that weekend helps places like Ralphs, walmart, gas stations, but for the common person liviing here, or businesses in the area, not much direct impact, unless its someone renting out their house for the weeks.

I have attended the last 6 festivals and live in La Quinta.....
    Last edited by Dylanfan0027; 10-05-2011 at 06:18 PM.

old school

i agree, La Quinta wants $$

but as far as OC Fair: it's traffic morning, noon, and night. everyday, for two weeks. in the middle of Orange County.. Coachella is one weekend. in Indio. there is a difference..
    Last edited by nbvcide; 10-05-2011 at 06:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Daft Punk will unveil its third member, Crush.

And to be fair, the traffic in La Quinta is pretty light throughout Coachella weekend. Unless you are going to the actual polo fields, you can zip around La Quinta pretty easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

I want to know how many people living in La Quinta are directly affected by the presence of Coachella and to what extent? I know traffic is horrendous for six to seven days out of the year, but are we really talking about kandy kids and hipsters turning into Gremlins when they drop some rolls after midnight and causing a considerable amount of damage throughout the neighborhoods?
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

Lurker

GayPS,

Thanks for posting this information. I am another local resident who is very concerned with La Quinta's action. I am encouraging Coachella attendies to boycott La Quinta hotels, stores, and restaraunts. Only when La Quinta businesses are affected will the La Quinta City Council reverse their very naive decision. Hearts!

i wonder what demographic most of the complaints come from. remember, that area is where old people go to die...er, retire. old people will complain about pretty much anything.

Lurker

La Quinta is a completely different city than Indio. It is older (median age is nearly 40), it is wealtheir (median income is nearly $50k), and it is, with the exception of a few neighborhoods, a private gated golf course community. It has no interest in having these festivals, and yes, two-three weekends a year is too much to ask of them. I encourage all patrons of Coachella to boycott La Quinta businesses and hotels until their Council changes their tune.

I think it's pretty much impossible to boycott the city of La Quinta, there are just not enough hotels in the area to support the masses without La Quinta's.
    Also, pretty sure Indio is not going to do anything to make GV take the fest anywhere else unless they were forced too.
    Coachella may not make or break anyone in the valley but they sure do appreciate what they can make off of us for those three weeks.
    your pockets are no longer filled with sunshine, now they are filled with sadness and despair.

Update: Indio City Council delays its vote on the Coachella contract out of deference to La Quinta.

Out of courtesy to La Quinta, the Indio City Council on Wednesday voted 3-1 to delay approval of a two-year contract with Goldenvoice, the promoter of the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival and Stagecoach country festival.

Indio Councilwoman Elaine Holmes abstained from the vote because she owns property near the venue.

Indio Councilman Sam Torres voted no because he wanted the contract approved.

Before the vote however, Indio City Council members were handed two letters — one signed by La Quinta Mayor Don Adolph and one signed by La Quinta City Manager Thomas Genovese — requesting they hold off on approval of the contract for at least 30 days.

According to the letters, the requested delay would allow both cities and the promoter time to address resident concerns and address the need for an environmental impact study to gauge the levels of noise, pollution and traffic produced by each event.

At a La Quinta City Council meeting Tuesday, officials said they were surprised by the contract's two-year length and lack of substantial solutions to these problems.

Some Indio council members Wednesday were in turn surprised by La Quinta's request considering the numerous meetings between both cities, Goldenvoice and residents to address these issues.

“I'm amazed at how they would feel out of the loop when staff has been involved in the discussion,” said Torres.

Indio Councilman Mike Wilson called the requested delay a “political posture.”

Indio Mayor Pro Tem Glenn Miller said two weeks would be enough time for Indio to deliver progress reports to La Quinta about how resident concerns are being handled.

“We've been working very hard at looking at all the issues. Unfortunately for some reason that information didn't make its way down to the La Quinta council,” said Miller.

Indio City Manager Dan Martinez said the City Council cannot wait a month because of financial obligations and deadlines the promoter has to meet.

La Quinta officials, including Genovese, attended Wednesday's meeting.
    “We're certainly more pleased with the continuance than not,” Genovese said, declining further comment.

The proposed two-year contract includes expanding Coachella to two weekends — April 13-15 and April 20-22 — with the same lineups. This new plan was announced earlier this year and tickets for both weekends have already been sold.

The new contract also includes an extra day for Stagecoach — planned for April 27-29.

Dates for the three concerts in 2013 have yet to be set.

The contract also provides Indio with $2.33 per sold weekend pass for the city's general fund. If all three concerts sell out, that would mean an extra $500,000 for the city.

The 2011 Coachella sold out with paid attendance at 75,000 people. The two-day Stagecoach nearly sold out with 54,791 people.

A couple of Indio residents were concerned about the environmental effects of the concerts, but most who addressed council members urged them to ignore La Quinta's request and approve the contract.

“Businesses thrive. Don't let a few people stand in the way … of its growth,” said longtime resident Jim Collins.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

fyi the above was also from The Desert Sun

Thanks for update!

Thanks for the update! Hopefully they get this thing figured out soon, I doubt the fest will actually move locations.

Some Indio council members Wednesday were in turn surprised by La Quinta's request considering the numerous meetings between both cities, Goldenvoice and residents to address these issues.

“I'm amazed at how they would feel out of the loop when staff has been involved in the discussion,” said Torres.

Indio Councilman Mike Wilson called the requested delay a “political posture.”
    i.e. La Quinta wants a piece of the money pie; what a bunch of dicks.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

It sounds to me like the Indio City people don't want to burn any bridges with the government of a neighboring city, and are thus delaying final approval out of political good will. But they also sound more than a little irritated, and it sounds like final approval is going to happen sooner rather than later. They're not going to blow up the very successful negotiations they've just had with Goldenvoice just so La Quinta can get a bigger slice of the pie too.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    i.e. La Quinta wants a piece of the money pie; what a bunch of dicks.
    But there is also this...

Indio Mayor Pro Tem Glenn Miller said two weeks would be enough time for Indio to deliver progress reports to La Quinta about how resident concerns are being handled.

“We've been working very hard at looking at all the issues. Unfortunately for some reason that information didn't make its way down to the La Quinta council,” said Miller.

Regardless though, the whole situation is a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    It sounds to me like the Indio City people don't want to burn any bridges with the government of a neighboring city, and are thus delaying final approval out of political good will. But they also sound more than a little irritated, and it sounds like final approval is going to happen sooner rather than later. They're not going to blow up the very successful negotiations they've just had with Goldenvoice just so La Quinta can get a bigger slice of the pie too.
    This is a great point, and is probably pretty close to the truth. You're right that the article seems to imply that they can get it done rather quickly, so I have no reason to think the festival's contract is in any kind of danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Distorted_Jungle View Post
    But there is also this...
    I'm still a bit confused as to how La Quinta did not know of the information if representatives from the City itself were present at these meetings; it sounds to me as if La Quinta want to be made an "official" part of the negotiations rather than just an invited guest with no real say in how the contract is drawn up. As you said, it's a bit of a mess, but it is one which sounds like it can be pretty easily fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylanfan0027 View Post
    Just to become a member at a Country Club out here is a down payment of $130,000 with up to 30,000 a year in fees. (high end).
    already dropped that bomb. lol nice try though!

The crux of La Quinta's argument would revolve around them arguing that Coachella costs them (La Quinta) money by straining the resources of La Quinta. I guess it would be easier to understand if La Quinta provide a breakdown of the extra costs they incur as a result of Coachella.

I guess it would be like your neighbor having a party. The neighbor invites you so you benefit from the free booze and food, but in the morning you wake up and find some of the guests have thrown all their trash in your yard and used your doorway as a bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella Bound View Post
    i think your all missing the point here..... This is no longer the Indio City Council creating an issue, its the La Quinta City Council wanting their piece of the pie.

For example, the comparison made above about the OC Fair. It makes sense for you to complain if living in Costa Mesa, but thats like me complaining about it in Fountain Valley or Santa Ana.

This whole thing is about money, not noise, not traffic... GV is doing everything in its power to maintain a positive relationship w/ the surrounding communities.
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by tigermilkboy View Post
    The crux of La Quinta's argument would revolve around them arguing that Coachella costs them (La Quinta) money by straining the resources of La Quinta.
    I thought it was for environmental reasons? You know how sensitive these desert golf course communities are to their impact on the environment.

Bottom line is I was at the skatepark in La Quinta, got a ticket for no helmet. I came back the next day, the police were already there "guarding" the skate park, and before I ever got into the skatepark gave me another ticket for now elbow and kneepads. The fucking pig sergeant was on the phone with the mayor as this was happening talking about the incident. Why? Because he(the mayor) was watching the cameras in his office keeping tabs on the situation.

What am I getting at? La Quinta is a retarded fucking city with a retarded mayor, with nothing but time and his dick in his hands. I happen to have experienced their corruption first hand in the bidding process of certain public construction contracts and have no respect for the city.

Can we all just agree that this delay has already had an impact on the average Coachella lover on these boards...Monko is back.
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.