Page 6 of 106 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Nevertheless, let me remind you that when you incorporate, you sign up for double taxation; first as corporate income tax (at a rate greater than personal income tax rates), and then again as profits are distributed to shareholders.
    I paid significantly less tax as a contractor than now as an employee. As a corporation, I payed myself in dividends (taxed at 16%) and... well to be honest I don't remember how it all worked (accountant did the footwork) but it was less, by half.

I still don't know why you're being so hard on these guys. Yeah it's amateurism - its a fucking public uprising. I'm surprised that list didn't include a ban on all meat products or something.
    Last edited by JebusLives; 10-05-2011 at 12:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    I paid significantly less tax as a contractor than now as an employee. As a corporation, I payed myself in dividends (taxed at 16%) and... well to be honest I don't remember how it all worked (accountant did it) but it was less, by like 50%.
    OK, you paid dividends taxes, but were you not paying corporate income taxes Jebus? Shame Shame. You could be the poster child for occupywallst demand #4.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

All those kids on the street would jump at the chance to do the same thing Jebus very smartly did.

all the rightist crucify the poor for working the system as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    OK, you paid dividends taxes, but were you not paying corporate income taxes Jebus? Shame Shame. You could be the poster child for occupywallst demand #4.
    We all live within the system as it exists.
    Your stupid

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    This whole thing is just a tantrum.

They didn't pass the legislation that I wanted. FUCK THIS! LET'S RAGE (in our PJs on a sidewalk with wifi).
    Ever since the self-glorification of the 60s war protestors, righteous indignation has been a staple food of the young and unshowered.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

We all live within the system as it exists.
    in your case, isn't it the Canadian tax system?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Yeah. I was going to edit that in to my playa response but he'd already responded. I believe our systems are set up pretty similarly, although i don't quite understand how your payroll tax and income tax differ (we don't have both).
    Your stupid

that's been posted and what is hilarious about it is the assumption that those people are only out there and drinking champagne as a taunt. The guy who took and edited the video has never worked anywhere near Wall St before, that shit is happening every day. Those folks are just visitors or some shit, having some some drinks. And there happens to be a huge racket outside that they're curious to go see. It's an amusement. I used to work a block from Wall & Broad and there are fancy folks and visitors coming to visit the exchanges every fucking day.

This would be like you going to a party and leaning out the window with a glass of wine in your hand to see a bum singing. Are you taunting the bum with your glass of wine?

It's hilarious when folks posts that video as some sort of damning proof of Wall St greed and apathy or something. It's just folks having a fucking drink and taking a look at the commotion. I'm assuming Kingsblend did so ironically.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 10-05-2011 at 01:30 PM.

old school

Cyclical. These kids will become those people some day. The lion King did a song about it.

The kids should take a queue from the Lion King and climb up and eat those folks.

old school

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAZIBENIA BABANIJIBABA UENIAAA!!!!

hakuna matata

Fortunately Ezra Klein isn't as cynical as you jerks.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...fVNL_blog.html

jackstraw, don't read this unless you want a hernia. The terms "tea party" and "grass roots" come up at least a few times.

edit: Rich Yeselson wrote this, its just reposted by Ezra.
    Last edited by JebusLives; 10-05-2011 at 02:02 PM.
    Your stupid

the terms "tea party" and "grass roots" come up at least a few times.
    Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    you ever get this uneasy feeling that everyone of us on this board is actually in Hell?

old school

Im glad Ezra Klein and Rich Yeselson are on the case.

Congressional Democrats embrace Occupy Wall Street
    Describing the protests as “serious” and “encouraging,” Rep. Peter Welch (D-Vt.) praised the sentiment motivating Occupy Wall Street and called for Congress to take heed. “It’s got a clear message, and that is frustration with the way that business is being done, the way that wealth is tilting towards the high end and the middle class is shrinking. And that message needs to be given,” Welch, a member of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, told me on Wednesday. What’s more he added, “it’s a real grassroots, citizens-led initiative. It’s not a top-down effort, it’s bottom up. In that sense, I think it’s very similar to the tea party.”
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...g.html#excerpt
    Your stupid

old school

Is George Soros is backing this with the Tides foundation?

At the CBOT in Chicago.

Fortunately Ezra Klein isn't as cynical as you jerks.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...fVNL_blog.html

jackstraw, don't read this unless you want a hernia. The terms "tea party" and "grass roots" come up at least a few times.

edit: Rich Yeselson wrote this, its just reposted by Ezra.
    oh my god dude you really need to slow down before posting something you think is devestating. Did you just do a search for "tea party" and then post after you realized he mentioned them? Ezra's actually making my argument.

Like with exercise, people have to make the time to do this somewhat tedious thing they nevertheless claim they really want to do. They did when building the CIO in the 30s, and the Civil Rights movement in the 60s. And people are making time to go to Tea Party meetings today. The many strands of the Syrian resistance just met in Turkey to coordinate their actions and demands. Ultimately, social media can augment, but cannot replace the tireless work of organizing and attending real life meetings.

Like with exercise, people have to make the time to do this somewhat tedious thing they nevertheless claim they really want to do. They did when building the CIO in the 30s, and the Civil Rights movement in the 60s. And people are making time to go to Tea Party meetings today. The many strands of the Syrian resistance just met in Turkey to coordinate their actions and demands. Ultimately, social media can augment, but cannot replace the tireless work of organizing and attending real life meetings.
    Right there is an admonishment to do more than just fucking sleep on the sidewalk. He's drawing a contrast between the tea party and the slumber party. He's praising them for attempting to start a movement, but the article is pretty clear that this isn't a movement yet purely based on a few punks throwing a tantrum. They have to start doing something productive.

However, Ezra says some dipshit things later. He praises the "we are the 99 percent" bullshit and claims it has a potential to encapsulate a movement. I assure you 99% of the country are not these kids brothers-in-arms. I get where the 99% figure is derived, but trying to claim that this will somehow make the majority of these 99% of the [US] population feel solidarity with this misguided fools is absurd.

Assuming that a popular columnist's words are somehow more wise than anyone else's is one of the biggest idiot mistakes folks can make. Glenn Beck was incredibly popular. Does that make everything he says right even though some folks on a message board disagree with him? Oh wait, could the the difference be that YOU don't agree with Glenn Beck. Nah Ezra obviously has a firmer grasp on absolute truth and his columns are obviously devestating to any "lesser" voice regardless of what they say.

Trust me nothing on this board comes anywhere close to causing hernias
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 10-05-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post

At the CBOT in Chicago.
    Awesome. There clearly are some people of worth in the evil banker world.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    oh my god dude you really need to slow down before posting something you think is devestating. Did you just do a search for "tea party" and then post after you realized he mentioned them? Ezra's actually making my argument.
    This isn't about you. I thought it was an insightful article, and the words "grass roots" and a tea party analogy made me chuckle. But it's really not about you. You're cynical. I get it. Not that interesting.

Those smug assholes better check that shit with the champagne and cheeky signs. It comes across as very French revolution and is just fuel for the fire.
    Last edited by JebusLives; 10-05-2011 at 03:02 PM.
    Your stupid

old school

Jean Valjean!

The only way you beat the 1% is by being the 1%.....but good luck.

This isn't about you. I thought it was an insightful article, and the words "grass roots" and a tea party analogy made me think of you and chuckle. But it's really not about you. You're cynical. I get it. Not that interesting.
    Except for the fact that you mention me and suggest that this would upset me because it says things I don't agree with. It actually doesn't really. The mentions of grass roots and tea party were used mainly to draw contrasts to the actions of the slumber party thus far. Your previous comments would seem to equate them. It's almsot an argument against yours.

Those smug assholes better check that shit with the champagne and cheeky signs. It comes across as very French revolution.
    can't really argue, but the kids are kind of asking for it. Also don't forget that the french revolution had a lot more support than these kids have.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 10-05-2011 at 03:09 PM.

I have the strangest feeling that if this thread was about how awesome bankers are, jackstraw would be arguing into the dirt ground that they're shit, and somebody should be protesting about them somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    I have the strangest feeling that if this thread was about how awesome bankers are, jackstraw would be arguing into the dirt ground that they're shit, and somebody should be protesting about them somewhere.
    Think about that for a moment. seriously read that again
    That's an idiotic feeling. An ironically desperate display of argumentativeness in an attempt to frame someone else as argumentative. I've never claimed they're wrong. I've just claimed they're either lazy or misusing their effort and resources.

and btw these online news posts are getting more and more idiotic. It's a mad dash to get their articles shared on facebook.
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/05/opinio...eet/index.html

The members of Occupy Wall Street may be as unwieldy, paradoxical, and inconsistent as those of us living in the real world. But that is precisely why their new approach to protest is more applicable, sustainable and actionable than what passes for politics today.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 10-05-2011 at 03:39 PM.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

1% represent woot woot
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

This would be a good thread if jackstraw wasn't always being a debbie downer
    Just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    This would be a good thread if jackstraw wasn't always being a debbie downer
    Just sayin
    But....but...but....tea party!

Tea Party!