Page 103 of 106 FirstFirst ... 9899100101102103104105106 LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,090 of 3162

Thread: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Is your goal to actually effect change, or just to be annoying? Because this strategy only makes sense for the latter.
    Of course that's your opinion. No protest has ever caused any change ever according to you. Now you're just being redundant. I especially don't mind annoying people who share that logic.

Well at least you can feel self-righteous.

edit: compare and contrast your violent protests with the gay marriage movement. Gay marriage wasn't even on the radar 15 years ago and now it is legal in several states, the president supports it, the general public seems to be coming around to supporting it, and the opposition is running scared passing state amendment after state amendment. And yet you don't see mobs of gay rights protestors smashing storefronts or blocking traffic. (Yes they have parades and rallies, but its all very orderly and everyone goes home at the end of the day). Instead the movement is focusing on communication, education, and logic to get people to see the rightness of their cause. And it's starting to succeed and I believe it will eventually be fully successful. Meanwhile OWS won't change shit.
    Last edited by TomAz; 05-29-2012 at 01:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I'm not even a neo-liberal and I agree that at this point OWS is a sideshow at best and counterproductive at worst. Really wish the activists on my side would try to influence the policymakers on my side (via lobbying, campaign contributions, primary challenges, etc.), rather than turning the message into a circular debate over their First Amendment right to annoy municipal officials who have fuck-all-nothing to do with the policies that have led to massive income inequality in the first place. The problem is, perhaps, that too many of the OWS crowd harbor illusions that electoral politics and the two-party system are some symptom of a corrupt, ailing body politic rather than an institutional reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Wait. Why can't they be both corrupt and reality?
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Sure, they can be.

I'm just stating that they are a necessary result of the constitutional system that the United States operates under. The "system" for lack of a better term, can be corrupt or it can be virtuous. The trick is to eliminate the corrupt, ailing parts of the system while also recognizing that system is a fact. I would much rather see a grassroots movement try to pass a constitutional amendment overturning Citizens United or clarifying the fifty-vote rule in the US Senate.

Or primarying the fuck out of corporatist Democrats.

I am unfamiliar with 'primary' as a verb.

I agree re a Citizens United amendment.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Sure, they can be.

I'm just stating that they are a necessary result of the constitutional system that the United States operates under. The "system" for lack of a better term, can be corrupt or it can be virtuous. The trick is to eliminate the corrupt, ailing parts of the system while also recognizing that system is a fact. I would much rather see a grassroots movement try to pass a constitutional amendment overturning Citizens United or clarifying the fifty-vote rule in the US Senate.
    Churchill quipped about this.

I've seen pundit types use the phrase "primaried." "Primarying" is my own concoction and I accept all responsibility for its novelty/idiocy.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    The problem is, perhaps, that too many of the OWS crowd harbor illusions that electoral politics and the two-party system are some symptom of a corrupt, ailing body politic rather than an institutional reality.
    I think in most cases they simply haven't spent any time around people with differing philosophies. They don't understand how someone can be righteous and yet hold a different opinion.

Jack and Fax with all due respect I think both of you are arguing semantics too much. Lets get back on track with some solid arguments.
    Four Tet - Mohawk - 3/1
    Mac Demarco - Mohawk - 4/13

Coachella Junkie

By 2006, the bank was buying mortgages from outside lenders with doctored tax forms, phony appraisals and missing signatures, she says. It was Hunt’s job to identify these defects, and she did, in regular reports to her bosses.

Executives buried her findings, Hunt says, before, during and after the financial crisis, and even into 2012.

In March 2011, more than two years after Citigroup took $45 billion in bailouts from the U.S. government and billions more from the Federal Reserve -- more in total than any other U.S. bank -- Jeffery Polkinghorne, an O’Fallon executive in charge of loan quality, asked Hunt and a colleague to stay in a conference room after a meeting.

The encounter with Polkinghorne was brief and tense, Hunt says. The number of loans classified as defective would have to fall, he told them, or it would be “your asses on the line.”
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...1-million.html

So Citi's punishment was paying $158 million to the federal government...? Wow, that'll show them.
    Last edited by ramblinon; 05-31-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Coachella Junkie

60 percent of prime adjustable rate mortgages, and nearly 100 percent of subprime ones, were indexed to LIBOR.

That means that when LIBOR rises, so do the prices ordinary consumers pay to, say, get a mortgage.

So how did the manipulations by Barclay’s affect this rate? First, from 2005 and 2007, the bank allegedly varied the rates it reported to the BBA and Thomson Reuters so as to improve its margins on internal trades. For example, it could have placed bets that the LIBOR rate would increase, and then reported artificially high rates which in turn artificially increased the LIBOR averages, so that the bets were likelier to pay off. This ... bumped up mortgage rates – however infinitesimally – for consumers even when the risk of the loans hadn’t changed at all.
    http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed...-world-history

Nothing to see here. Move along.

mega scandal of all mega scandals

Coachella Junkie

Wes knows better! Banks are honest actors!

WHY DO YOU HATE CORPORATIONS, POT?

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Pot, I'm sorry you were too late to ride the LIBOR bubble to prosperity.

Coachella Junkie

It's all about envy, naturally. I just want all their sweet moist monies. There's simply no proof that we're being fucking robbed with impunity. No proof whatsoever.

EDIT: I wrote this before Wes' latest post. You really are a predictable little guttertwat Wes.

Coachella Junkie

Maybe if you spent a single second of your life without your nose up some banker's dickchute you'd be less of a snivelling turd. Maybe.

Banks did something dishonest, story at 11.
    And later in the hour, "George Washington" writes an intellectually dishonest blog post.

Indeed, the scandal effects an $800 trillion dollar market - 10 times the size of the real world economy.
    did you hear that folks? It affects an $800T market. By how much? no idea. but this definitely AFFECTED it, let me tell you. Everyone was affected. Nobody's clean here. Anything and everything is tied to LIBOR. You're all affected.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    Banks did something dishonest, story at 11.
    This is a little more than "something dishonest." Have you been paying attention to this? Banks all around the world have been colluding with each other to manipulate LIBOR for years, upon which innumerable markets are indexed. This is, in fact, a Big Fucking Deal. This is not my interpretation of the import, it's a fact.

And later in the hour, "George Washington" writes an intellectually dishonest blog post. did you hear that folks? It affects an $800T market. By how much? no idea. but this definitely AFFECTED it, let me tell you. Everyone was affected. Nobody's clean here. Anything and everything is tied to LIBOR. You're all affected.
    Care to explain what's dishonest about that?

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    This is a little more than "something dishonest." Have you been paying attention to this? Banks all around the world have been colluding with each other to manipulate LIBOR for years, upon which innumerable markets are indexed. This is, in fact, a Big Fucking Deal. This is not my interpretation of the import, it's a fact.
    Yes, there's evidence of banks doing evil shit. The banks manipulated figures to inflate profits. We get it. It's a huge fucking deal. We get that too. Is this news? Is this something that might sway someone who isn't already self-rightously indignant about it. It's just inflamatory bullshit that serves no purpose. You have an overdeveloped sense of vengeance on this subject which makes each of these stories seem more sensational to you than they deserve to be for others.

But yes, it's a huge fucking deal, we already know this, but the article does absolutely nothing to educate anybody.

Care to explain what's dishonest about that?
    Either the guy's too idiotic to realize that he failed to quantify ANYTHING at all regarding the actual size of the "scalping", or he's making a conscious effort to inflate the issue by avoiding even mentioning it. He's inflating and obfuscating the issue by quoting figures that don't necessarily have anything to do with his argument.

There is zero substance in this blog post. zero. It's a non-story.

Coachella Junkie

It's just inflamatory bullshit that serves no purpose. You have an overdeveloped sense of vengeance on this subject which makes each of these stories seem more sensational to you than they deserve to be for others.
    You have an overdeveloped sense of being fucking stupid about this topic. I'm not the one saying it's a big deal Jack. The entire god damn financial world is. You can piss and puff all you want but you're just being dumb here.

There is zero substance in this blog post. zero. It's a non-story.
    Tell it to the bankers about to be dragged in front of every regulatory body in the Western world.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Meet jackstraw. He'll say something ambiguous and then lash out once you ask him to expound.

I'm not the one saying it's a big deal Jack. The entire god damn financial world is.
    The financial world came to a standstill today as a story that originally broke years ago by the WSJ and examined at that time in great deail by a Tim Geithner led NY Fed was brought into light again as Barclays has agreed to pay hundreds of millions of dollars in fines in an attempt to single handedly manipulate the market in way that may or may not have helped or hurt consumers.
    Jack is spot on with the sensationalism. Had your cute blog post included some of the other notorious qualifiers found throughout the stories on Zerohedge like “Maybe there is something we're missing”, “But who really knows all the details”, “On the surface, we can conclude”, or my favorite “At this point it is all just speculation”, and less along the lines of “the biggest financial scam in world history”, “the largest rigging of prices in the history of the world”, “mega scandal of all mega scandals”, “the entire world has been impacted”, “every single local government in the United States has been scalped”, it’d hold about 1% more credibility.

Coachella Junkie

Ahhhh, articles of substance are so refreshing, aren't they.
    It's an indisputable fact that it affects markets all over the world you poncing ninny.
    LIBOR does affect markets everywhere. To say whether Barclay's illegal attempts to manipulate it affected markets, to which direction, or to attempt to quantify it is complete speculation.
    Last edited by PlayaDelWes; 07-10-2012 at 03:34 PM.