Page 9 of 106 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 270 of 3162

Thread: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

  1. #241
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,279

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    This is retarded. What's he going to do, breed the bills together? Our entire economy relies on other individuals operating the financial industry.
    It's times like these that some folks with a mind to control their own money start moving it when they feel the economy or the institutions they invested in start failing. Eventually banks start competing again.

    Investing is supposed to be a gamble.
    Who the fuck every guaranteed everyone that your retirement fund must always increase at a predictable rate?

  2. #242
    old school JebusLives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,298

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    It should be easy to get a job for a young graduate in a robust economy. Why not?

    Playa paraphrased as "Get a degree and float the rest of your life," which is not the same thing at all and not what anyone's advocating. Hard work through life should pay off.

    There are so many straw people in here i'm getting confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

  3. #243
    old school
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,394

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here, but I'm mostly tied up in stock options for the next 2 years. Options that are worth substantially less than they were 6 months ago. I assume from your smugness that you're in gold. It won't last forever.
    You are whining that the stock options that your company gave you are not doing so well?

  4. #244
    old school JebusLives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,298

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    Who the fuck every guaranteed everyone that your retirement fund must always increase at a predictable rate?
    Now you're defending a 20% market drop (when we still haven't recovered from the last one) as tough shit for lazy entitled investors? Jesus, listen to yourself. Is there anything horrible you don't agree with?
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

  5. #245
    old school
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,394

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    lazy investors
    BINGO.

  6. #246
    Coachella Junkie PlayaDelWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Posts
    7,180

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here, but I'm mostly tied up in stock options for the next 2 years. Options that are worth substantially less than they were 6 months ago. I assume from your smugness that you're in gold. It won't last forever.
    So wait, you are calling stock options (in your own company I presume?) your retirement?
    Friday: Aloe Blacc, ZZ Ward, Caravan Palace, MS MR, Bastille, OutKast, Grouplove, Kate Nash, HAIM, Jagwar Ma, Tom Odell, Neko Case
    Saturday
    : Chvrches, Lorde, ,Foxygen, The Naked and Famous, Pharrell Williams, Muse, Empire of the Sun, Bombay Bicycle Club, Pet Shop Boys, Saints of Valory, Temples
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Lana Del Rey, Frank Turner, John Newman, J Roddy Walston and the Business, Superchunk, STRFKR, Neutral Milk Hotel

  7. #247
    Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    aquabania
    Posts
    17,175

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    it makes way more sense for me to invest in my company 401k, which matches my contribution to a certain percentage, because i have no problem trusting someone whose job it is to watch the markets day in and day out with my money. i don't have time or the understanding to pay that much attention. i've lost some money in the recent turmoil, but i know i'm in it for the long haul and am not too worried about it. i'm still on track because i started setting aside a lot at a young age and play a moderately conservative hand.

    also, i really don't get why people expect to get well paying jobs fresh outta college with zero experience. there is so much to learn that can't just be learned in 4 years and then you are done. we as a society should shift from the "traditional" model of sending MOST people away to school (granted, certain jobs require that intense training, but not your average business person) and instead making continuing education an ongoing part of our jobs. that shorthand my mom learned over forty years ago isn't exactly relevant today.

    the last thing i wanted to say about all this middle-class talk is that we have a much higher standard of living to maintain. the middle-class of yesteryear didn't have tv's in every room, stainless steel dishwashers, 3 cars, smart phones, data plans, preventative medicine, organic local food, etc. we are an entitled generation because we expect all of these things. i have a middle-class wage, no children, no car payment, no student loan payments and i still struggle. i'm not fighting for either side with this statement, i just think we have a lot more expensive expectations than prior generations did.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

  8. #248
    Coachella Junkie PlayaDelWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Posts
    7,180

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    Now you're defending a 20% market drop (when we still haven't recovered from the last one) as tough shit for lazy entitled investors? Jesus, listen to yourself. Is there anything horrible you don't agree with?
    So when the market was at its peak, you weren't selling some of your riskiest equities you owned or keeping some cash on the sidelines just in case there was a correction? The last four years have provided plenty of buying opportunites.

    Oh, and you are blaming this on others?
    Last edited by PlayaDelWes; 10-06-2011 at 12:31 PM.
    Friday: Aloe Blacc, ZZ Ward, Caravan Palace, MS MR, Bastille, OutKast, Grouplove, Kate Nash, HAIM, Jagwar Ma, Tom Odell, Neko Case
    Saturday
    : Chvrches, Lorde, ,Foxygen, The Naked and Famous, Pharrell Williams, Muse, Empire of the Sun, Bombay Bicycle Club, Pet Shop Boys, Saints of Valory, Temples
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Lana Del Rey, Frank Turner, John Newman, J Roddy Walston and the Business, Superchunk, STRFKR, Neutral Milk Hotel

  9. #249
    old school JebusLives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,298

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    My mutual funds have done better than the market but are still down. I failed to see the peak when we reaching it around March. If you did, congrats!

    Look, you three are trying to identify individual failings for everything. Are you even open to the possibility that maybe our culture in general is having some technical issues right now? That its not all individual failings of character? That maybe some good, hardworking people lost their jobs or money along the way? That maybe we can do something to correct it, as a group?
    Last edited by JebusLives; 10-06-2011 at 12:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

  10. #250
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,279

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    It should be easy to get a job for a young graduate in a robust economy. Why not?

    Playa paraphrased as "Get a degree and float the rest of your life," which is not the same thing at all and not what anyone's advocating. Hard work through life should pay off.

    There are so many straw people in here i'm getting confused.
    A degree might have automatically gotten your foot in the door years ago.
    Guess what, it doesn't now. Get over it. We're no longer a society comprised of relatively few educated people. We're all smarter, the jobs are requiring more skills. Such is life. Sucks for you.

    If you were born a T-Rex 65 million years ago, and watched the toxic clouds approach following the meteor strike, I'll bet you'd be complaining about how simply surviving adolescence used to your ticket to an easy life.

    There is no "pay off" for hard work in life. Life requires effort at every damn stage. Your parents or others you know might have been able to retire and travel the world but they got fucking lucky. You might choose to believe that there are 5 jew bankers who are putting you under their thumb in order to keep you and the 99% down, but what you guys can't fucking accept that is that life is better for everyone, including the bankers, when the economy does well.

  11. #251
    old school
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,394

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post

    Look, you three are trying to identify individual failings for everything. Are you even open to the possibility that maybe our culture in general is having some technical issues right now? That its not all individual failings of character? That maybe some good, hardworking people lost their jobs or money along the way? That maybe we can do something to correct it, as a group?
    Back to the original argument.

    Camping out on wall street will not accomplish this group goal. I hope the kids and unions accomplish some life goals, but money and greed (wall street) does not give a fuck about anyone or anything and nothing will ever change that.
    Last edited by J~$$$$; 10-06-2011 at 12:38 PM.

  12. #252
    man-homie obzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cacapoopoopeepeeshire
    Posts
    15,953

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    If you were born a T-Rex 65 million years ago, and watched the toxic clouds approach following the meteor strike, I'll bet you'd be complaining about how simply surviving adolescence used to your ticket to an easy life.
    You motherfucker.

  13. #253
    Coachella Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,128

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    Everyone put down your straws and back away from the concept of communication.

  14. #254
    old school JebusLives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,298

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    A degree might have automatically gotten your foot in the door years ago.
    Guess what, it doesn't now. Get over it. We're no longer a society comprised of relatively few educated people. We're all smarter, the jobs are requiring more skills. Such is life. Sucks for you.

    If you were born a T-Rex 65 million years ago, and watched the toxic clouds approach following the meteor strike, I'll bet you'd be complaining about how simply surviving adolescence used to your ticket to an easy life.
    I suppose, if you consider the slow decline of the middle class as inevitable as a meteor strike.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

  15. #255
    Member ramblinon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,096

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    Now you're defending a 20% market drop (when we still haven't recovered from the last one) as tough shit for lazy entitled investors? Jesus, listen to yourself. Is there anything horrible you don't agree with?
    401Ks have multiple options, including (by law) a money market (read: super safe) option and a bond (read: somewhat safe) option. If you don't know what your options are, you were lazy. All the information is there, if you decide to have half a day, read, and actually put some time towards your retirement, instead of tossing it in there and hoping for the best.

    The current market drop wasn't hard to figure out, or even predict to some degree. Greece has been a mess for awhile, Europe is a clusterfuck of contagion risk, and we're not a ton better here. All the information can be found on Google. But no one cares enough to try to figure it out. I'd be surprised if 50% of 22 year olds could tell you what the capital of Greece even is.

    If you get a 50% match, that's basically a 50% return right there, even if you just kept in money market funds. 50% essentially risk free return...better than 90% of hedge funds out there. And yet you bitch and moan???

    We are so amazingly intellectually lazy. The information is there for you to get. But we're too busy watching mind-numbing reality shows, getting ridiculously baked, and jerking off. You know what? You deserve to lose your money...there are billions out there hungrier and working harder who don't have 1/10th of the entitlement complex. Get off your ass and determine your own destiny.

    Boo fucking hoo is right!!

  16. #256
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,279

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    I suppose, if you consider the slow decline of the middle class as inevitable as a meteor strike.
    the meteor bit was a bit.

    but yeah everyone should be middle class and have their hard wiring modified to not want anything more than anyone else has.

    And let's camp on wall st to make that happen.

  17. #257
    Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    aquabania
    Posts
    17,175

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    Quote Originally Posted by ramblinon View Post
    We are so amazingly intellectually lazy. The information is there for you to get. But we're too busy watching mind-numbing reality shows, getting ridiculously baked, and jerking off.
    WE ARE THE 99% WHO JERK OFF!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

  18. #258
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,279

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    That's a 99% I can believe in.

  19. #259
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    22,188

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    Jackstraw: hates urban camping.

    4/20: Godflesh, Cut Hands @ DNA Lounge
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom
    6/27: Fuck Buttons @ The Independent
    6/28: Robyn & Royksopp @ Bill Graham

  20. #260
    Member phonographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    An hour from Coachella
    Posts
    675

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    2007, 2008, 2009, 2010

  21. #261
    Coachella Junkie PlayaDelWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Posts
    7,180

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    99% Demand #15: Wants to be able to invest blindly and retire comfortably. Money managers should be offering their services free of change if said investor wishes not to monitor their own investments. If investor is unable to secure desired retirement contribution, other party, preferably corporation or tax payers shall contribute.
    Friday: Aloe Blacc, ZZ Ward, Caravan Palace, MS MR, Bastille, OutKast, Grouplove, Kate Nash, HAIM, Jagwar Ma, Tom Odell, Neko Case
    Saturday
    : Chvrches, Lorde, ,Foxygen, The Naked and Famous, Pharrell Williams, Muse, Empire of the Sun, Bombay Bicycle Club, Pet Shop Boys, Saints of Valory, Temples
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Lana Del Rey, Frank Turner, John Newman, J Roddy Walston and the Business, Superchunk, STRFKR, Neutral Milk Hotel

  22. #262
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,279

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    99% Demand #15: Wants to be able to invest blindly and retire comfortably. Money managers should be offering their services free of change if said investor wishes not to monitor their own investments. If investor is unable to secure desired retirement contribution, other party, preferably corporation or tax payers shall contribute.
    you forgot to include gov subsidies to keep updated to within no more than one previous version of iPhone.

  23. #263
    Coachella Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,128

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    You do realize some asshole in the Sudan is currently making snarky jokes on their treemail board about protestors feeling entitled to their limbs and hymens, right?

  24. #264
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,279

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    Quote Originally Posted by phonographer View Post
    A reasonable balance of a tangible action mixed in with his rhetoric. Not bad.

  25. #265
    old school JebusLives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,298

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    Quote Originally Posted by ramblinon View Post
    401Ks have multiple options, including (by law) a money market (read: super safe) option and a bond (read: somewhat safe) option. If you don't know what your options are, you were lazy. All the information is there, if you decide to have half a day, read, and actually put some time towards your retirement, instead of tossing it in there and hoping for the best.

    The current market drop wasn't hard to figure out, or even predict to some degree. Greece has been a mess for awhile, Europe is a clusterfuck of contagion risk, and we're not a ton better here. All the information can be found on Google. But no one cares enough to try to figure it out. I'd be surprised if 50% of 22 year olds could tell you what the capital of Greece even is.

    If you get a 50% match, that's basically a 50% return right there, even if you just kept in money market funds. 50% essentially risk free return...better than 90% of hedge funds out there. And yet you bitch and moan???

    We are so amazingly intellectually lazy. The information is there for you to get. But we're too busy watching mind-numbing reality shows, getting ridiculously baked, and jerking off. You know what? You deserve to lose your money...there are billions out there hungrier and working harder who don't have 1/10th of the entitlement complex. Get off your ass and determine your own destiny.

    Boo fucking hoo is right!!
    So in the face of hard numbers (a 22% market drop) that show most everyone got fucked (again) in another collapse, your argument is that most everyone deserved it, and therefore there's no problem here? I'll reiterate. Could anything horrible happen that you won't defend?
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

  26. #266
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,279

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    You do realize some asshole in the Sudan is currently making snarky jokes on their treemail board about protestors feeling entitled to their limbs and hymens, right?
    Taking a broader perspective and appreciating what we do have is one of my main themes in this thread. These 99%'ers are actually 1%'ers.

    And limbs and hymens are natural human rights.
    Education and $100K/yr are not.

  27. #267
    old school
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,394

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    Quote Originally Posted by phonographer View Post
    Im confused by the last part. Transportation and infrastructure? Government jobs right?

    Why not a push for local economies, small business and community banks instead of waging fingers at international banks and CEOs?

  28. #268
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,279

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    Quote Originally Posted by J~$$$$ View Post
    Im confused by the last part. Transportation and infrastructure? Government jobs right?

    Why not a push for local economies, small business and community banks instead of waging fingers at international banks and CEOs?
    transportation and infrastructure are good things for use to be worried about and spend money on. We haven't had a huge push to improve infrastructure since the Federal Highway Act and shit's falling apart quick right now.

    Of course that doesn't do shit for the fancy graduates worried about keeping their texting fingers warm on Wall St.

  29. #269
    Coachella Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,128

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    Quote Originally Posted by J~$$$$ View Post
    waging fingers at international banks and CEOs?
    I mean after all, we wouldn't want to engage in class warfare.

  30. #270
    old school
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,394

    Default Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (U.S Protests)

    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    transportation and infrastructure are good things for use to be worried about and spend money on. We haven't had a huge push to improve infrastructure since the Federal Highway Act and shit's falling apart quick right now.

    Of course that doesn't do shit for the fancy graduates worried about keeping their texting fingers warm on Wall St.
    Its not going to create that many jobs though. Technology has far surpassed needing 3000 white guys to boss around 300 manual laborers. The machinery these days has replaced 70% of the work force.

    We need focus on to creating the machines to sell to factories in China that will replace the Chinese laborers.

Similar Threads

  1. A Hugging Revolution!!!
    By hisnameisme in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-20-2010, 08:24 PM
  2. Projekt Revolution Hyundai 7/28
    By john001@charter.net in forum Passes
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-21-2007, 10:27 PM
  3. Projekt Revolution Tour
    By billtino in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-02-2007, 10:53 AM
  4. This Place Stinks Of Revolution
    By Jenniehoo in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 172
    Last Post: 05-13-2007, 02:43 PM
  5. Placebo on Projekt Revolution tour
    By ED GEIN in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-28-2007, 03:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •