Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Still-ill's Rock n' Roll Record Club

Default Re: Still-ill's Rock n' Roll Record Club

Jandek is in the queue to listen to very shortly. I really hope the lack of action in this thread doesn't dissuade you from continuing it, Stillio. This needs to keep going.
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Wheels Of Cheese

Nah I'm just busy. Im off tomorrow. The ammount of downloads on my mediafire report is promising enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Wheels Of Cheese

Onyx - We Got Iz Us
    [/CENTER]

Onyx is a hip hop group from New York City. Originally formed in 1988 by Fredro Starr, Sonsee, the late Big DS, the group later added Sticky Fingaz, Starr’s cousin, in 1991, managed by Diamond Cut Entertainment’s Milton Lynch. The group was formed in 1988 and Onyx released its first 12” single, “Ah, and We Do it Like This”, in 1990. The song sounded very jazz influenced, much unlike their later work. In 1991 Onyx was going to present a demo to Jam Master Jay at Def Jam, but Big DS and Sonee Seeza (then only known as Suave) were in Connecticut at the time, so Fredro Starr called up his cousin Sticky Fingaz (who lived in Brooklyn). Once Sticky Fingaz joined the group, the group released the Throw Ya Gunz EP in 1992. After the track Onyx inked a deal with Def Jam and were promised an album which became 1993’s Bacdafucup LP. The album met with great commercial success, including heavy airplay on radio and MTV for the single “Slam”. Onyx also performed with Biohazard on the tune “Judgement Night”, taken from the soundtrack album of the same name. The song “Slam” was the #5 single on the Rap charts and the album went on to quickly sell 2 million copies. Onyx also received critical acclaim, winning Soul Train’s album of the year.
    Don't look at the album cover, ignore it. This album sold very well when it came out, and did well critically as well. A fabulous production, an oft-forgotten classic.
    Last edited by Still-ill; 02-14-2012 at 10:52 AM.
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Wheels Of Cheese

Milk Music - Milk Music (2010)

Olympia, WA: A very loud, and electric power trio lends a fuzz blanket over classic american songwriting in the vain of Dinosaur jr, Feelies, Hüsker dü. Unlike other underground bands tackling pop via hardcore today, MILK MUSIC strays from the commonly generic reverb and surf sound to strengthen their no bullshit policy of presenting good songs, and for that they come off as a real band in an era of genre biting.

Can't stop listening.

Very nice. Finalizing my 2011 album list these next few weeks, but the albums you've posted on here will get top priority come January...
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

BUMP

Let's keep this train a rollin'. I plan on listening to all of these albums in the coming week.
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Sorry I missed December!!! That Milk Music EP seems like it rarely comes off my turntable right now.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Wheels Of Cheese

The Legendary Pink Dots - 9 Lives to Wonder

Per Last.FM
    The Legendary Pink Dots are a Netherlands-based band formed in August 1980 in the UK who, although distinctly underground, have been musically influential over the years. The band name was derived from pink dots of nail varnish on the piano in their squat, where founding members Edward and April lived. The band has as its focal point vocalist Edward Ka-Spel, who is, along with Phil “The Silverman” Knight, one of the original remaining members of the band. In the mid eighties the band resettled in the Netherlands, where they still reside today. Apart from Edward and Phil, the line-up has gone through many changes. Members such as Ryan Moore, a Canadian bass player, who joined in 1991 after the recordings of the Last Man to Fly with the Tear Garden (he joined as a session musician), went on to form their own labels and musical projects. See Twilight Circus and M Records. Their music is nothing if not original and it is difficult to categorise, but comparisons may be drawn with bands like Pink Floyd and Can.
    Alrighty, I have 4 days off this week... it's catching up time.

Wheels Of Cheese

It's a bit of a marathon to listen to this one in one sitting (it's an hour long), but it's a really rewarding experience. The arc of each song seems so meticulously crafted, which makes the production a simply splendid one. If you like Coil, Current 93, Nature and Organisation, et al. then you'll enjoy this experience. Just PM if you need help finding it online.

Wheels Of Cheese

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Sorry I missed December!!! That Milk Music EP seems like it rarely comes off my turntable right now.
    No doubt, great driving to and from work music.

Edit: I'll post another album tonight.

Wheels Of Cheese

Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine - Rampton

Promised to be more active while I'm off. So here you go, just PM if you need help.

Instead of linking a bio, I'll just post the personnel.. I think you'll get the idea:

Lee Dorrian - vocals (Cathedral, Napalm Death)
    Stephen O'Malley - guitar (Khanate, Sunn O))), Burning Witch, Thorr's Hammer)
    Greg Anderson - bass, organ (Goatsnake, Sunn O))), Burning Witch, Thorr's Hammer)
    Justin Greaves - drums (Iron Monkey, Electric Wizard, Crippled Black Phoenix)
    Last edited by Still-ill; 02-14-2012 at 09:29 PM.

I listened to the Legendary Pink Dots album this afternoon. Really solid stuff. Definitely heard some Can in there, especially vocally at times.

Keep 'em comin' Still-io!
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

That Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine album is wonderfully thunderous. Cool to hear what O'Malley sounded like before really coming into his own with the later Sunn O))) material.
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by Still-ill View Post
    Milk Music - Milk Music (2010)

Can't stop listening.
    !!!!!
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Hahaha. Yeah, far and away best new band of last year. They're so fucking talented.

Wheels Of Cheese

This sounds promising as well:

They're a fuckin' GOOD band. They have not yet put out a song that has disappointed me.

Glad to see this hasn't died. Haven't been here in a while, I've got some catching up to do.

5 songs into 9 Lives To Wonder and it is quite wonderful. Very atmospheric. And it seems to be getting better as it goes on.
    Last edited by send me ctrpllrs; 03-01-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Wheels Of Cheese

Yup it gets better as it goes:

Don't sleep on it
    Last edited by Still-ill; 03-01-2012 at 09:18 PM.

I finally got around to listening to Milk Music and . . . it's not doing a lot for me. Maybe it'll reveal itself upon repeat listens or something, but I guess the retro thing bugs me too much to get past. It's not just that it sounds like it's from the 90s, it's that it's something I've heard a thousand times over and I'm not getting what makes this special. I feel like they could actually cut down on the fuzz, and I'm typically a big supporter of fuzz. I don't know man. I get that good songs are good songs regardless of era and style, but it all just seems so tired and redundant to me. It's not bad, but I don't feel any thrill listening to it. Maybe I'm forgetting how to be a teenager or whatever. I often change my mind so I could do a 180 on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Also, I love the LPD, although I haven't heard that album (they have so goddamned much material). I'll seek it out. Anyone who isn't familiar with them should really give The Maria Dimension a spin next. I feel like it's everything I wish Pink Floyd was.

Last edited by SoulDischarge; 03-02-2012 at 11:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Wheels Of Cheese

The Undertones - Hypnotised

The self-titled debut is an absolute masterpiece, BUT so is this one. I went years thinking the only thing worth having in their discography was the debut. I went too long without this album in my life.

via Last.FM
    The Undertones are an Northern Irish punk band formed in Derry, Northern Ireland in 1975. The original band consisted of:

* Feargal Sharkey (lead vocals),
    * John O’Neill (guitar),
    * Damian O’Neill (guitar, keyboards and vocals),
    * Michael Bradley (bass and vocals), and
    * Billy Doherty (drums).

John O’Neill was the original main song writer, with his brother Damian and Mickey Bradley writing in various solo & combined variations for most of the remainder.

Sharkey’s power pop tenor was distinctive, and the band regarded a tight ensemble. By 1977 they were performing their own three-chord pop punk material influenced by Nuggets-type material and Ramones, and in 1978 released their debut four-song EP Teenage Kicks on Good Vibrations. It became a hit with support from DJ John Peel, who considered that EP’s title song (Teenage Kicks) his all-time favourite. The song has been covered by many including boyband Busted (at the 2003 Brit Awards), American group The Raconteurs, Swedish band Sahara Hotnights and French band Nouvelle Vague.

Wheels Of Cheese

Yona-Kit

Do you like Shellac? Melt-Banana? Jim O'rourke? Slint? Then get this album. I've been revisiting my catalog of Jim O'rourke albums and this was one that was that I'd forgotten about. It's pretty damn fun.
    Yona-Kit was a math rock quartet active in 1994.
    A U.S.-Japanese collaboration, the group consisted of KK Null (electric guitar and vocals), Jim O'Rourke (electric guitar), Darin Gray (electric bass guitar), and Thymme Jones (drum set). All but Null were contemporaneously members of the group Brise-Glace.
    Yona-Kit released one album, Yona-Kit (1994) on Skin Graft Records. The album was recorded by Steve Albini in Chicago in June 1994. The album's cover photography, featuring gigantic stuffed animals of various sorts, as well as bizarre lyrics (dealing with such subjects as dancing sumo wrestlers), lend a whimsical character to music that is often fairly brutal and complex. Yasuko Onuki, the singer for the Japanese band Melt-Banana, contributes vocals for one song on the album, "Franken-Bitch."

Just to have a bit of familiarity, I'm listening to The Undertones' debut before Hypnotised. This is great.
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Wheels Of Cheese

Yeah they're both pretty similar. There wasn't a whole lot of evolution between the two.

Fun fact: It's common knowledge that "Teenage Kicks" was John Peel's favorite song of all time, and when he heard it for the first time, he had to pull over to the side of the road because he was weeping tears of joy.

MOAR
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post

MOAR
    MOAR
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare