Page 260 of 261 FirstFirst ... 255256257258259260261 LastLast
Results 7,771 to 7,800 of 7821

Thread: 2012 Lineup Confirmations/Rumors Thread

Default Re: 2012 Lineup Confirmations/Rumors Thread

words. too many words.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Frye View Post
    i believe for the majority of users here who either a.) don't care about the black keys or b.) think they're a shit headliner - would take your arguments of they sell a ton of records, play big concerts, on the radio/tv constantly and then say...those arguments are weak. A lot of bands do that. Now the last part of the indie crossover, what % or level of the entire indie fan base are they really crossing over to? IMO the majority of the cross-over comes from fans who enjoy and think they're indie for listening to (and there is nothing wrong with these acts) Florence & The Machine, Kings of Leon, or only know who Arcade Fire is because they actually watch the Grammys. If you were to "weight" a fan by the percentage of indie music they truly listen to, care about, read up on...these fans would be weighted about (educational guess), 10% "indie as the majority of us know it, 60% radio, 30% get new singles or ideas from their other "non-pure" indie fans on facebook.

do the majority of these weak-cross overs really care about music to extent where they research music on such social sites as bandcamp, soundcloud, the hype machine, needle drop, gorilla vs bear, daytrotter...etc. i would have to guess no. they receive music from the mainstream sources. is this bad? no, enjoy the music you listen to. but when comparing the black keys to the majority of innovative and engaging acts on the coachella roster, it's my opinion and i believe the opinion of people who "don't get" the black keys that there is just not much to care about when you look at some stellar, lower-tier bands.

even with a substantial or material indie cross-over, which i guess exists since indie music blogs seem to enjoy it and it got a decent or solid (7.4) review on PF. No PF isn't the end-all-be-all of music, it's just for reference (and i think spin and RS reviews are shit) El Camino did pull in solid reviews. but what "music innovation" or new and fresh sound have the black keys brought to the table that takes them an evolutionary artistic step above and beyond what they've done before? el camino is non-existent on PF's, Stereogum's, and Brooklyn Vegan's best albums of 2011 lists. Although on PF's Reader's Poll, which imo is a solid barometer of the indie fan base they clocked in at #29. from these lists, i would guess, they came out with a decent "rock" album...but is El Camino along with the back end of their catalogue really that enthralling? i can't say because i haven't listened to their entire catalogue just because of the songs i've heard, they sound the same. i've also heard that same sound review from a number of different people.

what is there not to get, well maybe some people are asking why are they headlining and do they deserve to be a headliner? Coachella would have sold out both weekends in the same amount of time without them being highlighted as a headliner. they have brought nothing new to the table, nothing that reverberated throughout the web hailing El Camino as something special. I'd also venture to say that there are more lower-tier bands on the poster that produced more personal excitement throughout this community with their most recent release than The Black Keys did on El Camino. maybe give one of the "smaller acts" a chance to shine or put on a performance that fans will still be talking about years down the line.

i'm not saying that The Black Keys won't rock the fuck out and put on a great show. also after seeing them a lot more people in this community may say, yea the black keys deserved to headline this year and i'm happy they did. i thought they were stellar and I wasn't even tripping balls, they touched my soul. yes i referenced the black keys newest release, maybe i should have really dug in and went through years of reviews of their past work along with concert performances. that could be a tad overkill.

i use quotations marks wayyy too much, some of my sentences stumble over each other, i'm not an english major, i'm still a january coachella virgin newb, i haven't had sex in almost a fucking year, and i'm one of the people who doesn't care about the black keys. just thought i'd add my rambling two cents.

are people who hail the black keys as a great band incorrect or wrong? fuck no...i just want everyone to be happy come coachella.

off topic, nice Gribble avatar.

tl;dr
    Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    Nobody has ever given a single fuck about anything you've ever had to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Erik or Dani: Can we change Spooks' member title to "Stupid Pigfucker"? thanks.

i haven't had sex in almost a fucking year
    SHITTTTTTTTTT

Dale Gribble, nice Dale Gribble avatar.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

That was a very well thought out and articulated argument which makes me respect your opinion, even though I'm gonna watch the Black Keys and don't mind them headlining compared to other bands that have headlined. What are these other bands you're referring to on the coachella line up?
    Coachella 2010, 2011, 2012-2, 2013-2

Hopefully you get some Coachella sex?

offtopic but:

BRING BACK THE DANCING DUMBO

Quote Originally Posted by narek23 View Post
    That was a very well thought out and articulated argument which makes me respect your opinion, even though I'm gonna watch the Black Keys and don't mind them headlining compared to other bands that have headlined. What are these other bands you're referring to on the coachella line up?
    i think The Shins or M83 could have easily headlined that day, possibly neon indian. real estate would be a big stretch, even though i think they're stellar.

BEST RUMORS EVER

why the hell is in-n-out a lower tier performer?

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    BEST RUMORS EVER

This is some bullshit. Churros would totally headline over Corn Dog. The crotch luna bar is billed too high. In N Out is billed way too low. Kogi should be billed over Chinese Food. I'm also fucking sick of the cheesy corporate Minute Maid Frozen Lemonade. Where is the fucking creative and original Freshers lemonade? Sellouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I think the safest course is to assume everyone is a fucking nightmare and proceed from there.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.

Rhythm is a dancer.

i think The Shins or M83 could have easily headlined that day, possibly neon indian. real estate would be a big stretch, even though i think they're stellar.
    Wait what???

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    Whatever, now that they've been upgraded to Headliner, they wont be back for at least 4 years....
    Finally, a silver lining with TBK as headliners.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I'd rather see my own gruesome rape and subsequent beheading than see Rammstein.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenJ View Post
    I know mentioning this name will stir the hipsters here into a furry, but I was thinking, Coldplay is still trying to sell ticket to LA shows in February. They sold out all their dates at the Hollywod bowl in early May (right after Coachella) and are putting tickets on sale for another show next month tomorrow. Do you think Coldplay could possibly be added as the headliner Friday and they are just waiting to announce it after they have sold this show out? Lots of people thought Coldplay were going to headline, they are in LA the weekend after coachella, and the Black Keys still don't fit to me as a headliner. Think this could happen still?
    Playing a benefit show next month in a venue that holds 2000 people is them SCREAMING to headline?

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Playing a benefit show next month in a venue that holds 2000 people is them SCREAMING to headline?
    Weren't you the one who was championing their obvious headliner status just a month or two ago despite all these shows?

Not to mention, the festival is sold out at this point. I can't see there being any adds, let alone a fucking headliner. What's the point? It will just further piss off the people who got shut out of tickets.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

old school

Quote Originally Posted by sacleonard View Post
    Finally, a silver lining with TBK as headliners.
    Auerbach solo set sub-headlining in 2013

Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    Not to mention, the festival is sold out at this point. I can't see there being any adds, let alone a fucking headliner. What's the point? It will just further piss off the people who got shut out of tickets.
    If you take a look at Friday, there are only 10 acts that even have a realistic chance of playing the Sahara, and most people think either Swedish House Mafia or Amon Tobin (or both) will be on another stage. In fact, Sahara acts were moved out of this day. There are clearly going to be adds here.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    Adding strong names to the bill would re-inforce the idea fans must buy in the pre-sale and have full faith in GV booking a strong lineup. The interest rates of GV having that money for a ocuple extra months could as much as a $2mil.

I also think some other 2012 festivals will book "better" headliners than Coachella. Bjork/Bruce/Cure in Pinkpop and Petty/Pearl Jam/Bruce at Isle of Wight to name 2 so far with a a half dozen major festivals still waiting to announce.

B U M B L E B E E S T R I K E S A G A I N

4/20: Godflesh, Cut Hands @ DNA Lounge
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom
    6/27: Fuck Buttons @ The Independent
    6/28: Robyn & Royksopp @ Bill Graham

Why do some of you dopes keep insisting that Amon Tobin will be in the Sahara?
    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There's an emoticon for jerking off on this forum?

The National/Warpaint - 4/21 - Moody Theater
    Thee Silver MT. Zion Orchestra - 4/22 - The Mohawk
    Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cloud Nothings/The Men - 4/26 - The Mohawk
    Austin Psych Fest - 5/2 - 5/4 - Carson Creek Ranch
    King Khan & the Shrines - 5/30 - The Mohawk
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs
    Swans - 6/27 - The Mohawk
    Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Only because SHM is likely to be on the main and would need something on the whole other side of the electronic spectrum playing against them. If Amon was any other day I would think he'd be a sure bet for Mojave.

Amon Tobin's music alone should disqualify him for the Sahara.

Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs

Dale, it's a losing game. Remember the whole "No way will 2ManyDJs close the Sahara while Tiesto is on the mainstage argument." It's that, but the opposite.

4/20: Godflesh, Cut Hands @ DNA Lounge
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom
    6/27: Fuck Buttons @ The Independent
    6/28: Robyn & Royksopp @ Bill Graham

Ha. Forgot about that. Too much fan overlap.

Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Auerbach solo set sub-headlining in 2013
    Yeah, I suppose so, if Brandon Flowers can do it...
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I'd rather see my own gruesome rape and subsequent beheading than see Rammstein.

There has never been anything like his set up in the Mojave before. It would be a first.
    Remember how people were saying Shpongle would be in the Mojave because it's weird music and the setup wasn't that big?

But I don't get why people are ragging on his music. His set isn't any less "Sahara-y" than Plastikman or Aphex Twin. right?
    Really, I don't get why people think he won't be in the Sahara. Nothing we've seen in the past would make you think he wouldn't be.
    Last edited by clumsy342; 01-21-2012 at 01:56 PM.

If Amon Tobin's set-up can fit on that tiny stage at Sea of Dreams it can fit in the Mojave.

Also, Sphongle's music (especially their DJ sets like at Coachella) isn't really comparable to Tobin's. Sphongle's set last year was dancey as fuck. Amon's set will not be.

EDIT* Plastikman plays minimal techno. That belonged in the Sahara. The Sahara was also the only realistic place for Aphex Twin to play because the Mojave was significantly smaller in 2008.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 01-21-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs

If Amon Tobin's set-up can fit on that tiny stage at Sea of Dreams it can fit in the Mojave.

Also, Sphongle's music (especially their DJ sets like at Coachella) isn't really comparable to Tobin's. Sphongle's set last year was dancey as fuck. Amon's set will not be.

EDIT* Plastikman plays minimal techno. That belonged in the Sahara. The Sahara was also the only realistic place for Aphex Twin to play because the Mojave was significantly smaller in 2008.
    A+ post
    Quote Originally Posted by Timestretch View Post
    Plus 11 dollars is a lot for Mexicans.
    Quote Originally Posted by edbangme View Post
    Swedish House Mafia: two djs and a guy who speaks english
    Quote Originally Posted by bananahambone View Post
    I guess it's like me going to some Al Queda site and being like "Hey guys. don't ask me how I know, but Bin Laden isn't really dead" And all those terrorist dudes would be like "Hey fuck head, Daft Punk is still not playing Coachella"

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    If you take a look at Friday, there are only 10 acts that even have a realistic chance of playing the Sahara, and most people think either Swedish House Mafia or Amon Tobin (or both) will be on another stage. In fact, Sahara acts were moved out of this day. There are clearly going to be adds here.
    While I'm certainly not denying the need for more/better Sahara additions anywhere on this entire lineup, there was a day in 2010 that only had 8 acts in the Sahara, so I don't think the current numbers suggest anything will definitely get added. That was unusually low though, as 10 does seem to be the average.

All this seems likely for Friday's Sahara and could easily fill out the whole day:

Swedish House Mafia (probably main stage)
    Afrojack
    M83 (hey, if the Rapture have done Sahara before, then why not?)
    Amon Tobin
    The Rapture (did it in 2007)
    Madeon
    Alesso
    SebastiAn (moved to Saturday?)
    Datsik
    Breakbot
    Feed Me
    R3hab
    LA Riots
    Last edited by microcuts; 01-21-2012 at 09:42 PM.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a