Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 938

Thread: College Football 2011

  1. #91
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by disgustipated View Post
    Pay attention to the details. Key word in the sentence you failed to quote being 'especially'. In my book anyone with a 70% all-time win record has a tradition of winning. 'Especially' over the past few years where they have won over 92% of their games.
    this is where I ask... against who, and where you reply... mostly crap teams.
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

  2. #92
    Beefy Soft Taco TommyboyUNM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Oppressing the white man
    Posts
    11,532

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    But they DO have a tradition of winning. Would it be better if they didn't beat the teams on their schedule?

  3. #93
    AMBIVALENT bobert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    3,806

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    this is where I ask... against who, and where you reply... mostly crap teams.
    They beat every team that's put in front of them. Is their strength of schedule on par with most SEC teams? Of course not, but they win (almost) every football game they're allowed to compete in and embody everything that is completely fucked with the BCS. In any other sport Boise State would be playing top-tier teams in the playoffs at the end of every season and we could put this whole argument to rest forever, but instead they get relegated to some half-assed bowl game which they almost always win, usually finishing the season without a loss. If the Broncos are as overrated as you think a playoff system would expose them pretty quickly, but since this is the BCS we're talking about we can go on speculating and ranking and talking about who's overrated or not without ever really knowing anything. I can tell you one thing: we never needed a computer to calculate who won the Superbowl, or which teams deserved to play in it.

  4. #94
    Milkshake suprefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Burbank CA
    Posts
    43,938

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    I would like to see BSU in the Big 12 against Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A & M(if they had stayed), Texas Tech, Ok State etc etc and try to beat them every single year on a consistent basis. Its not happening. They have thrived so much because the competition in their conference is laughable compared to what they bring to the table. And the BSU people feel that they could handle a SEC conference schedule and go unscathed?

  5. #95
    AMBIVALENT bobert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    3,806

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    I'm sure Boise State wishes they played in a conference that was allowed to compete for championships too.

  6. #96
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    7,382

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    We'll actually get to see a version of this debate play itself out in reality with Utah and the PAC-12 this season.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

  7. #97
    Member biggfoot17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Costa Mesa
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    Would Boise St go undefeated in the Big 12 or SEC? Probably not. Would they lose 4 or more games? Probable not. But to say they still wouldn't be a top 25 is a bit of a joke, especially in the Big 12.

    As far as Utah, I think they'll finish top 25 as well, mostly cause the Pac 12 isn't that great this year compared to some of the more recent seasons
    Quote Originally Posted by morelifefucker View Post
    The drugs dont work as well on sunday as they worked on friday.

  8. #98
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    7,382

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    I'll be interested to see how Utah does this weekend; it should say a lot about whether or not they will be a contender their first year in the league. They were pretty anemic offensively against a I-AA school in week 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

  9. #99
    Member biggfoot17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Costa Mesa
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    Ya, but except for the Barkley and Wood duo, USC didn't look stellar either. I'll be watching this one for sure. I hope USC gets romped
    Last edited by biggfoot17; 09-06-2011 at 10:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by morelifefucker View Post
    The drugs dont work as well on sunday as they worked on friday.

  10. #100
    Chest Rockwell Gribbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    19,977

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    They beat every team that's put in front of them. Is their strength of schedule on par with most SEC teams? Of course not, but they win (almost) every football game they're allowed to compete in and embody everything that is completely fucked with the BCS. In any other sport Boise State would be playing top-tier teams in the playoffs at the end of every season and we could put this whole argument to rest forever, but instead they get relegated to some half-assed bowl game which they almost always win, usually finishing the season without a loss. If the Broncos are as overrated as you think a playoff system would expose them pretty quickly, but since this is the BCS we're talking about we can go on speculating and ranking and talking about who's overrated or not without ever really knowing anything. I can tell you one thing: we never needed a computer to calculate who won the Superbowl, or which teams deserved to play in it.
    Well said. Until then, March Madness is numero uno.

    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    And the BSU people feel that they could handle a SEC conference schedule and go unscathed?
    I don't think anyone has/would make such a claim.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

  11. #101
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    7,382

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    I tend to be in the "playoffs are a good idea" camp, but I'm not sure that they're panacea for college football's ills. I find March Madness to be strangely unsatisfying in the way that it becomes weirdly less compelling with each successive round; I have seen many, many Final Four matchups and games that were just plain anticlimatic compared to what came before. Also, the seeding and one and done formats are terribly arbitrary in their own way, but that's perhaps more of a basketball-specific complaint.

    The biggest reason why a playoff wouldn't solve the main issues wth the sport is that the cartel structure would probably still dictate the top eight teams picked each year to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

  12. #102
    Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,885

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    I'm not having the Boise State argument, yet again, with a bunch of idiots. Every argument against BSU is flawed. Eat some dicks. etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

  13. #103
    AMBIVALENT bobert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    3,806

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    I tend to be in the "playoffs are a good idea" camp, but I'm not sure that they're panacea for college football's ills.
    My hometown school, the University of Montana, plays in the FCS (the Football Championship Subdivision), the division directly below the BCS. The division has a 20-team, single elimination playoff system, and is superior to the BCS in every way (other than athletic and coaching talent.) Anyone who says that playoffs would never work in college football is full of shit. Ironically, Boise State used to be the UM's division rivals, but left for the upper subdivision where they're routinely excluded from the championship race.

  14. #104
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    I'm not having the Boise State argument, yet again, with a bunch of idiots. Every argument against BSU is flawed. Eat some dicks. etc. etc.
    Yet you ARE having it...?
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

  15. #105
    Dick Nicewonger kreutz2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    SL UT
    Posts
    11,469

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    I'll be interested to see how Utah does this weekend; it should say a lot about whether or not they will be a contender their first year in the league. They were pretty anemic offensively against a I-AA school in week 1.
    My theory is that we weren't running the offense we will run against Pac-12 teams, essentially leaving USC with no film to study. What was seen last Thursday was not a Norm Chow offense.
    RAPE STOVE

    white power?!

  16. #106
    Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,885

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    Yet you ARE having it...?
    You seem to be confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

  17. #107
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    You seem to be confused.
    I'm fine.

    you say you're not having the argument and then go right into... "Every argument against BSU is flawed. Eat some dicks". That IS the argument... or discussion if you will. I say those points you bring up are not flawed in the least. The national footbal media and fans have them because those are the main discussion points.

    But I except nothing more from you, than the usual dick-eating type suggestions anyway. Carry on.
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 09-07-2011 at 10:38 AM.
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

  18. #108
    Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,885

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    The dick eating was in jest.

    Also, I have brought up 0 points.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

  19. #109
    Member biggfoot17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Costa Mesa
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Also, I have brought up 0 points.
    C DUB YA has been doing the same
    Quote Originally Posted by morelifefucker View Post
    The drugs dont work as well on sunday as they worked on friday.

  20. #110
    Chest Rockwell Gribbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    19,977

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    I hope we don't get embarrassed by Oklahoma State tomorrow.

    Quote Originally Posted by biggfoot17 View Post
    C DUB YA has been doing the same
    Snap.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

  21. #111
    Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,885

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    So Baylor is suing A&M. Makes sense when you think about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

  22. #112
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by biggfoot17 View Post
    C DUB YA has been doing the same
    Shhhhh

    keep that on the down low.
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

  23. #113

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    Boomer Sooner!!

    So, who else remembers the last time their team had a walk-on run for 4 touchdowns? Me neither.

    Obviously I'm prayin that somehow Boise makes it to the BCS title game, for a rematch that actually means something...but it will never, ever happen.

    Despite Hawking's numerous emissions, here are ALL OF THE TEAMS that would have to have more than 1 loss at the end of the season in order for Boise to be in the BCS Championship:

    Oklahoma
    Alabama
    LSU
    Wisconsin
    Virginia Tech
    Mississippi State
    Stanford
    Oregon
    Ohio State
    Nebraska
    Florida State
    Virginia Tech
    Iowa
    Michigan St

    not to mention any other sleeper school from a automatic qualifier conference. The chances of Boise getting into a BCS Championship Game remain incredibly remote.
    No, don't, don't cut my hair, Ned loves my hair.

  24. #114
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    That's simply not accurate.

    Let's say a OSU or Wisconsin lose their final game or the the Big 10 championship... neither one of them would get to the BCS championship over a undefeated Boise.

    Same goes for many others teams on that list. Part of it is when they lose and the strength of the schedule... for example LSU could have lost to Oregon last week, then run the table in the SEC and still make it to the championship game. LSU playing 6-7 ranked teams in their schedule and coming out with 1 loss, certainly tops Boise's undefeated recorded when they play only one ranked opponent. This is when strength of schedule really factors in who's going where, at the end of the year.
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 09-08-2011 at 09:31 AM.
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

  25. #115
    Beefy Soft Taco TommyboyUNM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Oppressing the white man
    Posts
    11,532

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    That's simply not accurate.

    Let's say a OSU or Wisconsin lose their final game or the the Big 10 championship... neither one of them would get to the BCS championship over a undefeated Boise.

    Same goes for many others teams on that list. Part of it is when they lose and the strength of the schedule... for example LSU could have lost to Oregon last week, then run the table in the SEC and still make it to the championship game. LSU playing 6-7 ranked teams in their schedule and coming out with 1 loss, certainly tops Boise's undefeated recorded when they play only one ranked opponent. This is when everybody realizes college football's system is a fucking joke.
    I think this is what you meant to write.

  26. #116
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyboyUNM View Post
    I think this is what you meant to write.
    The system is a joke - but it is what it is right now and thus, that Boise statement I was referring to is inaccurate.
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

  27. #117
    Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,885

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by the goat View Post
    Boomer Sooner!!

    So, who else remembers the last time their team had a walk-on run for 4 touchdowns? Me neither.

    Obviously I'm prayin that somehow Boise makes it to the BCS title game, for a rematch that actually means something...but it will never, ever happen.

    Despite Hawking's numerous emissions
    , here are ALL OF THE TEAMS that would have to have more than 1 loss at the end of the season in order for Boise to be in the BCS Championship:

    Oklahoma
    Alabama
    LSU
    Wisconsin
    Virginia Tech
    Mississippi State
    Stanford
    Oregon
    Ohio State
    Nebraska
    Florida State
    Virginia Tech
    Iowa
    Michigan St

    not to mention any other sleeper school from a automatic qualifier conference. The chances of Boise getting into a BCS Championship Game remain incredibly remote.
    Unless we are talking about all things nocturnal, I have made 0 emissions.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

  28. #118
    Coachella Junkie fikus222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oakland
    Posts
    8,732

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    Washington, Stanford and Cal won today, yeah buddy.
    9/18 CHVRCHES @ the Fox Theatre
    9/22 Tove Lo @ the Fillmore
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rfs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    10/29 PHISH @ Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    10/31 AlunaGeorge @ 1015 (?)
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

  29. #119
    Milkshake suprefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Burbank CA
    Posts
    43,938

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    Great games today. Miss State and Auburn went to the wire. Same with Georgia and South Carolina. And Bama destroyed Penn state. Michigan does not look good at all right now against Notre Dame. The jerseys look awesome at least.

  30. #120
    old school Somewhat Damaged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    5,319

    Default Re: College Football 2011

    Was it just me or did Georgia look absolutely pathetic today against South Carolina? Man, Boise State has got to be shitting bricks if that's going to go down as their "quality" non-conference win.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

Similar Threads

  1. College Football 2010
    By suprefan in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 980
    Last Post: 08-30-2011, 07:41 AM
  2. College Football 2009
    By boarderwoozel3 in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 1091
    Last Post: 08-07-2010, 08:57 AM
  3. College Football 2008
    By bakersfield in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 713
    Last Post: 01-17-2009, 10:48 AM
  4. college football needs a playoff
    By oasis4life2002 in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 11-30-2008, 04:38 PM
  5. ncaa college football 07
    By arbouler in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 376
    Last Post: 01-07-2008, 08:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •