Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 81 of 81

Thread: Steve Albini vs Odd Future

  1. #61
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,158

    Default Re: Steve Albini vs Odd Future

    If the internet is only good for crazy Japanese porn and old men bickering I'm on the wrong side of the fence right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by fancy restaurant View Post
    Although, I did attend more Slipknot concerts than any person ever really should. I remember once I told their lead singer "This is my 12th Slipknot show!" and he was just like, "Dude. Why?"
    Quote Originally Posted by cperkins9027 View Post
    Bring Aoki back next year and let him bring his friends. Open your minds and appreciate what he can do.

  2. #62
    Member GolfWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,730

    Default Re: Steve Albini vs Odd Future

    lulz

    Feel Like I Have To Defend Myself. 1 Idk Who The Fuck Steve Albino Is 2. I Dont '****** Everything Insight' 3. I Never Say Fuck U To Drivers 4. We (odd future) Never Discuss How Much We Are Making A Show In Public, Ever. 5. Me Nor Anyone i Know In My Age Group Know Who You Are, Old Ass. Surprised You Knew how To Use A Computer. And Whats Good With RAPEMAN?
    - @fucktyler

  3. #63
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,765

    Default Re: Steve Albini vs Odd Future

    Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    The irony of the Albini rant ("Clip your year-end column and put it away for ten years. See if you don't feel like an idiot when you reread it.") is that exactly ten years later, Pitchfork released its reconfigured '90s albums list, and they had Siamese Dream and Exile in Guyville as the second and third best albums of 1993, respectively. Billy Corgan and Liz Phair were both pretty damn embarrassing circa 2003, but their 1993 albums held up with the indie intelligentsia then, and they probably do now as well.
    There should be a word that means "citing Pitchfork to make your point in an internet message board argument". The word should be considered an insult.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  4. #64
    Coachella Junkie dorkfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    12,277

    Default Re: Steve Albini vs Odd Future

    Steve Albini responds to all the hoopla:

    (He starts off by disagreeing with OFWGKTA's publicist's take that it was an exaggeration on Albini's part)

    Well, he's just plain lying here. He was obviously through with the whole ordeal by the time he got on the shuttle, and I wouldn't blame him for shutting down/tuning out, but he would have had to have been in a different vehicle not to have "heard" that shit. What I wrote is what I remembered happening. Sorry. His twitter yesterday said as much, and I posted a quote from it on the electrical thread.

    Also, it's not a big deal. I was annoyed by some kids acting like grade-A assholes once when I was tired, big whoop. I didn't say anything about it for quite some time, and did so on a forum discussion, not in an article or critical piece. It was a conversation about Odd Future, and I had an anecdote. On the electrical forum somebody mentioned that I probably would have been equally annoyed by the Sex Pistols in their youth, and that sounds about right.

    For what it's worth, that dude's voice is really cool, and they seem to be enjoying the ride. I didn't enjoy being around them, but that's hardly newsworthy.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

  5. #65
    sarcastic fuckoff GeezrRckr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    the oasis of reason
    Posts
    9,997

    Default Re: Steve Albini vs Odd Future

    He's just saying that because Barrow told him to "cool it" since he's adding them to ATP/NJ.


    (could you imagine how many fucking fights those guys would get into there...haha)

  6. #66
    Coachella Junkie dorkfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    12,277

    Default Re: Steve Albini vs Odd Future

    Barrow seems to be equally annoyed by Tyler, based on his Twitter account.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

  7. #67
    sarcastic fuckoff GeezrRckr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    the oasis of reason
    Posts
    9,997

    Default Re: Steve Albini vs Odd Future

    (I know this...pathetic, yes)

  8. #68
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    7,305

    Default Re: Steve Albini vs Odd Future

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    There should be a word that means "citing Pitchfork to make your point in an internet message board argument". The word should be considered an insult.
    I wasn't necessarily citing Pitchfork's judgment to make an argument for the merits of Liz Phair or the Pumpkins; I was just pointing out that 10 years on from '93, it wasn't necessarily critically laughable (as Albini contented that it would be) to consider those albums to be top shelf artifacts from their time.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

  9. #69
    Coachella Junkie
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,543

    Default Re: Steve Albini vs Odd Future

    Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    Barrow seems to be equally annoyed by Tyler, based on his Twitter account.
    Barrow comes off as someone who would be annoyed by almost anything.

  10. #70
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,765

    Default Re: Steve Albini vs Odd Future

    Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    I wasn't necessarily citing Pitchfork's judgment to make an argument for the merits of Liz Phair or the Pumpkins; I was just pointing out that 10 years on from '93, it wasn't necessarily critically laughable (as Albini contented that it would be) to consider those albums to be top shelf artifacts from their time.
    that's fine. there still should be a word though.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  11. #71
    old school Spooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,025

    Default Re: Steve Albini vs Odd Future

    I would like to see some videos from last night

    Tyler, the Creator was arrested last night after Odd Future’s Christmas show at the Roxy in LA. Venue staff contacted the police after a brawl with a sound engineer who allegedly cut Tyler’s mic. Accused of damaging equipment, Tyler was arrested on suspicion of vandalism and carted away in front of his mom, who yelled, “That’s my baby!” while held back by a family friend. Fans crowded the police car in which Tyler was held, and cops brought out bean bag guns. This morning, the West Hollywood Sheriff’s Department says Tyler, “just destroyed an electric soundboard belonging to the venue.”

    http://www.thefader.com/2011/12/23/t...rrested-in-la/

    7/22 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Prospect Park
    7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Teenage Fanclub @ Pier 84
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA
    7/25 Nick Cave @ Prospect Park
    7/26 Cell Injection/Black Asteroid @ Output



    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

  12. #72
    Coachella Junkie faxman75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The murder capital where we murder for capital
    Posts
    27,915

    Default Re: Steve Albini vs Odd Future





    a bit of their performance


  13. #73
    Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    14,679

    Default Re: Steve Albini vs Odd Future

    I feel like this group is a new era in reality tv.

  14. #74
    Member GolfWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,730

    Default Re: Steve Albini vs Odd Future

    http://www.formspring.me/wolfhaley/q/274580364536580364
    duding RADICALS, i was on the piano playing the breakdown, only to notice that the music and sound was low, lights went off and that shit wasnt right, i get up, look, and notice that it was two girls hurt from the mosh pits behind them. i grab my mic to tell the crowd to come calm down and inform security because it was none around in the front, but i then find out the sound dude turned everything off. so im on stage while its mosh pits and chaos on stage ( i played live with Trash Talk, and it was a home show so everyone from OF was there wildn) pointing at my mic tell sound dude to turn it up turn it up, hes shaking his head no.i keep doing this for at least 70 seconds until i get fed up and run over to him threw the crowd. i jump on his sound board and say' ***** turn my fucking mic up its bitches hurt, let me tell the crowd to calm down, they listen to me' this ***** goes on saying he doesnt have control his manager said this and that. i keep asking, we go back and forth. i kick the plexi glass and stomp on the cheap ass soundboard, then throw my mike on the floor. go back on stage just in time to throw a couple gifts out to the crowd ( it was the xmas show). someone states ' lets get you outta here'. i walk outside to like 20 cops, helicopters, shotguns and some other shit. jail is really cold dude, i had no socks on. im fine tho, bail was alot even tho i didnt hurt anyone, i damaged some shit. and idk why rappers talk about jail like its cool, omg i would go crazy. all i could think about was skating the bowl like 8 hours before haha. i havent looked but the media prolly made it seem more epic than it actually is.


    but overall, i finally feel black.
    I was right next to the soundboard when all this went down. Riot police showed up afterwards. ah, the true spirit of Christmas!

    Mr. Muthafuckin' eXquire, Jonwayne - 8/5 - Los Globos
    FYF - 8/23, 8/24
    Ty Segall - 8/29 - The Echo
    Massive Attack - 10/16 - Greek Theatre
    Queens Of The Stone Age - 10/31 - The Forum
    OFWGKTA Carnival - 11/8
    Coachella '15 - 4/10-4/12

  15. #75
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    28,013

    Default Re: Steve Albini vs Odd Future

    This thread gave me a newfound lack of respect for Guy in Tuscon.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  16. #76
    old school Spooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,025

    Default Re: Steve Albini vs Odd Future

    Oh these questions are pretty amazing....

    I am Steve Albini, ask me anything

    I have been in bands since 1979 and making records since 1981. I own the recording studio Electrical Audio. I also play poker and write an occasional cooking blog. I'll be answering questions from about 3pm - 6pm EDT.
    -edit- Knocking off at 7.20 EDT, will try to resume and catch up later.

    http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...k_me_anything/

    7/22 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Prospect Park
    7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Teenage Fanclub @ Pier 84
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA
    7/25 Nick Cave @ Prospect Park
    7/26 Cell Injection/Black Asteroid @ Output



    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

  17. #77
    Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DTLA, CA
    Posts
    21,182

    Default Re: Steve Albini vs Odd Future

    Thanks for posting that, this is awesome
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

  18. #78
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    the Beach of Newport
    Posts
    12,108

    Default Re: Steve Albini vs Odd Future

    This was good:

    [–]raffaellog 65 points 9 hours ago
    What is your opinion about music Piracy? Does it hurt you economically? Thanks for your music!
    permalink
    [–]steve_albini[S] 327 points 8 hours ago
    I reject the term "piracy." It's people listening to music and sharing it with other people, and it's good for musicians because it widens the audience for music. The record industry doesn't like trading music because they see it as lost sales, but that's nonsense. Sales have declined because physical discs are no longer the distribution medium for mass-appeal pop music, and expecting people to treat files as physical objects to be inventoried and bought individually is absurd.
    The downtrend in sales has hurt the recording business, obviously, but not us specifically because we never relied on the mainstream record industry for our clientele. Bands are always going to want to record themselves, and there will always be a market among serious music fans for well-made record albums. I'll point to the success of the Chicago label Numero Group as an example.
    There won't ever be a mass-market record industry again, and that's fine with me because that industry didn't operate for the benefit of the musicians or the audience, the only classes of people I care about.
    Free distribution of music has created a huge growth in the audience for live music performance, where most bands spend most of their time and energy anyway. Ticket prices have risen to the point that even club-level touring bands can earn a middle-class income if they keep their shit together, and every band now has access to a world-wide audience at no cost of acquisition. That's fantastic.
    Additionally, places poorly-served by the old-school record business (small or isolate towns, third-world and non-english-speaking countries) now have access to everything instead of a small sampling of music controlled by a hidebound local industry. When my band toured Eastern Europe a couple of years ago we had full houses despite having sold literally no records in most of those countries. Thank you internets.

  19. #79
    Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DTLA, CA
    Posts
    21,182

    Default Re: Steve Albini vs Odd Future

    Hah, yeah, i just posted a screenshot of that as a wall photo on facebook. Extremely well put.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

  20. #80
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    28,013

    Default Re: Steve Albini vs Odd Future

    I love every time he does one of these.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  21. #81
    old school Spooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,025

    Default Re: Steve Albini vs Odd Future

    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Thanks for posting that, this is awesome
    haha no problem! I laughed pretty hard at this one...

    [–]cryopyre 49 points 9 hours ago
    Why don't you like jazz?

    [–]steve_albini[S] 119 points 7 hours ago
    Because it sucks and I'm tired of hearing about it. Believe me I've tried. I just hate the parts I hate about it more than I like the little things there are to like. The batting average is just so low I can't bear the dead time between highlights being filled with all that noodling. It's vain music.

    7/22 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Prospect Park
    7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Teenage Fanclub @ Pier 84
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA
    7/25 Nick Cave @ Prospect Park
    7/26 Cell Injection/Black Asteroid @ Output



    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Similar Threads

  1. ODD FUTURE IN THE SAHARA
    By sdchargers760 in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 11:34 PM
  2. This kid is the future!!
    By indianguitar52 in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-02-2010, 10:49 PM
  3. the future of music
    By psychoc&ndy in forum Polls
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-14-2010, 01:35 PM
  4. Future Of The Left
    By Stefinitely Maybe in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-15-2009, 07:29 PM
  5. The Future of Graffitti
    By All That I Am in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-09-2007, 09:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •