Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steve Albini vs Odd Future

Default Re: Steve Albini vs Odd Future

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    If and I have been in the past been annoyed by a Group of 19-20 year olds on a bus.I didn't/won't go up to them and tell them they're acting like assholes and they should better behave because I'm not trying to get into a confrontation with a group of people.If Albini said anything it probably would of got into a worse situation.
    Would you go online and write a 6 paragragh rant and publicly call them out? Using your logic, what he did will most likely result in some form of confrontation if he runs into Odd Future again, so that point is moot.

The situation getting worse was exactly what Albini was afraid of, but it's not like his rant was productive either. That will make the situation worse too. But he has the proverbial safety net of the internet to protect him for now.

My point is that Albini is pretty much a jackass hmself but now he is basically a proven pussy for calling these guys out online after it all occurred. It's not like he broke a major story. Odd Future's antics and behavior is well documented. He just wanted to whine because a group of young kids bothered him on a bus.
    7/21 - !!! @ Club Congress (Tucson, AZ)
    8/23 - Galactic @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    8/25 - Future Islands @ 191 Toole (Tucson, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Coachella Junkie

I don't think he's trying to make it seem huge, it's not like he's running for interviews with Pitchfork and NME about his new found hatred for OF. He made mention that these guys were pricks and someone asked to elaborate, so he did just that. I don't see him trying to "call them out" on something.

It's the internet. It's what ranting is for. We all rant about stuff that happens to us in real life but we aren't going to spark the fire in real life. Yeah Albini is opinionated as hell but he's not putting this out to be huge or "groundbreaking" or anything. He made a post recalling his experience with Odd Future because someone asked about it. Big deal. The guy from Groove Armada essentially did the same thing about KoL.

He did post it on a message board. Also Wayne Coyne did that to Arcade Fire.

This reminds me of
    http://stereogum.com/706042/tyler-th...eres-the-beef/
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

GIT, you act like you think the Odd Future kids have any fucking idea who Albini is. i'm willing to bet they don't. This "pussy" business is downright strange, as is punctuating the "6 paragraphs," which probably took him all of 2 minutes to type. YOU have now written MUCH more on a message board writing about him, the same way he wrote on a message board. What does that say about you?
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

PUSSY.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

http://twitter.com/#!/fucktyler

Even Tho Eating A Fucking Snake And Killing Myself Is Kinda Stupid, It Looks Cool
    Tyler doesn't know anything about it .
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

hahahahaha at the vinny gallo jab. watching those 2 engage in internet message board pissing matches against each other have made for some of my favorite memories in front of a computer...

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Oh look, another arrogant rock retard being a total douche to describe others' douchey behavior.

Albini is so badass, he waited to go online to rant about how Odd Future was acting to the internet world rather than say anything to these guys in front of everyone. Some people call it "taking the high road" but I call this instance "being a total chicken shit".

theres a fine line between being arrogant and being right. read the last 3 paragraphs of the article and sound them out if you need to you fucking clod.
    Last edited by Grandma; 08-09-2011 at 01:29 PM.

Albini committed the typical "run-to-the-internet-to-talk-shit-about-people-I-saw-in-person" action.

You don't have to be a dickhead to stand up to other people being dickheads. The guy was obviously totally bothered by how Odd Future was acting.

Now, if you don't like it, but want to stay out of it, then stay out of it. But if you are truly bothered by the behavior of a group, say something as respectfully and maturely as possible. Don't go rant online about them when you didn't have the sack to say something right then and there. It doesn't take much to stand up as politely as possible and voice your displeasure.

Instead, Albini said, "I am quite happy none of them engaged me directly, because at least one of us would have regretted it."

He's running his mouth when he knows they can't do anything to him. Albini didn't have to violently confront them. He could be the bigger man and be mature when he stands up against them. That doesn't have to require violence or even foul language. Instead, he sat back, was annoyed and then got online and wrote a 6 paragraph diatribe on Odd Future's actions.

Odd Future is obviously a collective of kids trying to be be "cool" by being total assholes to people and will probably get their ass beat if they act similar around someone who is a loose cannon at some point in the future. But Albini is simply being a gaping vagina in this instance.
    I'm sorry, but this is just plain dumb. You're saying that a pudgy middle-aged guy in glasses should have provoked a confrontation with a group of 20 year olds acting like hoodlums. Think about that. Think about how fucking stupid that would have been.

Then you're saying that since Albini did not provoke a confrontation he had no right to write about it on the internet. You might as well say that a person who does not resist a mugging has no right to report it to the police. Yes, that is a perfectly accurate analogy.

Albini reacted perfectly rationally. He protected his own physical security while the incident was occuring, and then let it be known to the internet once the danger had passed. You can call that 'being a pussy', but, you know, most grown ups don't really worry about what people like you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

So, this incident aside, why is Albini regarded as such a cunt by so many?

(serious question)

He tends to be blunt. He called the Pixies "a mediocre college band" (or something like that, I'm working from memory) - which is fine to have an opinion but since Albini made a good portion of his reputation off of Surfer Rosa, it seems a bit, um, tactless or something.

He has said things that sound sexist.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Letter to the editor in response to some music critic's Best Of list for 1993: (Bill Wyman is the critic, not the Rolling Stone):

Letters

January 28

Three Pandering Sluts and Their Music-Press Stooge

Bill Wyman:

The opening paragraph of your Year-in-rock recap [Hitsville, January 7] is one of the most brilliant bits of ass-forward thought I've seen in years. If I read your heavily parenthetical English correctly, you are making the case that Liz Phair, Urge Overkill and the Smashing Pumpkins are somehow unique in rock music because they are brazenly trying to sell records. Genius.

You also intimate that anyone having a gripe about these artists' calculated and overbearing hype barrage is being merely parochial or petty. You dismiss this sort of discussion as "bullshit." Since I like using words like "bullshit," and I am one of the people who see nothing of value in any of these three artists, I will gladly adopt the term as shorthand for the position you argue against.

In your rush to pat these three pandering sluts on the heinie, you miss what has been obvious to the "bullshit" crowd all along: These are not "alternative" artists any more than their historical precursors. They are by, of and for the mainstream. Liz Phair is Rickie Lee Jones (more talked about than heard, a persona completely unrooted in substance, and a fucking chore to listen to), Smashing Pumpkins are REO Speedwagon (stylistically appropriate for the current college party scene, but ultimately insignificant) and Urge Overkill are Oingo Boingo (Weiners in suits playing frat party rock, trying to tap a goofy trend that doesn't even exist). You only think they are noteworthy now because some paid publicist has told you they are, and you, fulfilling your obligation as part of the publicity engine that drives the music industry, spurt about them on cue.

You attempt to validate your lionizing these frauds by referring to other music critics, after owning up to the reality that these artists don't get much respect from anybody else. In their day, their precursors were considered (by tools like you and those you quote) to be the nuts. That nobody gives a shit about them now is evidence that their appeal was temporal, transitory and superficial, and further evidence that tools like you (and them) don't know shit from fat meat.

Watching the three artists you moo about prostrate themselves before the altar of publicity these last 12 months has been a source of unrivaled hilarity here in the "bullshit" camp, and seeing them sink into the obscurity they have earned by blowing their promo wads will be equally satisfying.

The "bullshit" characterization concluded your argument that the music scene is tiny, and the perspectives of other artists, independent record companies, fans and the like are too insignificant to warrant serious consideration. Look at the shoes you're standing in, big nuts. Music press stooges like you tend to believe and repeat what other music press stooges write, reinforcing each other's misconceptions as though the tiny little world you guys live in (imagine a world so small!) actually means something to us on the outside.

Out here in the world, we have to pay for our records, and we get taken advantage of by the music industry, using stooges like you to manipulate us. We harbor a notion of music as a thing of value, and methodology as an equal, if not supreme component of an artist's aesthetic. You don't "get" it because you're supported by an industry that gains nothing when artists exist happily outside it, or when people buy records they like rather than the ones they're told to.

Though you wave your boob flag proudly throughout the rest of the piece, you did make one reasoned and intelligent statement. You stated your disapproval of those who would snicker at Liz Phair's personal life in lieu of actually discussing her merits as an artist and her album as a work. Considering how easy a target Phair's music is, it is a shame that some of her critics have nullified the discussion by using the leering mode you refer to. In truth, she and her album are probably the least offensive of the three you focused on in your column, which may explain why you think she is any good.

Artists who survive on hype are often critic's pets. They don't, however, make timeless, classic music that survives trends and inspires generations of fans and other artists. There are artists in Chicago doing just that, but you don't write about them. You save your zeal instead for this year's promo fixtures. Shame on your lazy head. Clip your year-end column and put it away for ten years. See if you don't feel like an idiot when you reread it.

Fuck you,

Steve Albini

Evanston

Some of his more recent dickheadery.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

He tends to be blunt. He called the Pixies "a mediocre college band" (or something like that, I'm working from memory) - which is fine to have an opinion but since Albini made a good portion of his reputation off of Surfer Rosa, it seems a bit, um, tactless or something.

He has said things that sound sexist.
    http://www.avclub.com/articles/part-...-urge-o,47739/
    In “Eyewitness Record Reviews” from the zine Forced Exposure #17, Albini called Surfer Rosa “a patchwork pinch loaf from a band who at their top-dollar best are blandly entertaining college rock.” (He also wrote about an unsuccessful sexual encounter with a friend of the band who was “lounging around making little fuck me noises” that ended with him having to “run a batch off by hand.” Who on earth would ever turn down the pleasure of having sex with this man?)
    Last edited by Miroir Noir; 08-09-2011 at 03:07 PM.

This is all quite entertaining. Here's Wyman's original article.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago...ent?oid=883550

Some LTE's in response to Albini's tirade (which, although I don't entirely disagree with, seems a bit over the top in response to Wyman's non-provocative and, in my view, uninteresting piece):

http://www1.chicagoreader.com/hitsville/pander.html

I do hope to get the chance to take some of his money at the table in New Jersey. I'm sure the trash-talking will get interesting, now that I know his buttons can be pushed so easily.

EDIT: I do now recall reading some rather unfair comments he made about the Godspeed sessions. There was some comment about art/artists a page or so back. Seems apt to apply to himself it would appear.
    Last edited by GeezrRckr; 08-09-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    GIT, you act like you think the Odd Future kids have any fucking idea who Albini is. i'm willing to bet they don't. This "pussy" business is downright strange, as is punctuating the "6 paragraphs," which probably took him all of 2 minutes to type. YOU have now written MUCH more on a message board writing about him, the same way he wrote on a message board. What does that say about you?
    Difference being, Drinkey, is that I haven't had the opportunity to encounter Albini in person, and Albini was right there with the ability to say something to Odd Future.

Sorry, I know a lot of you guys are non-confrontational, but if there is something that TRULY bugs me to the point where I have to dedicate more than two sentences to a subject based on something I encountered in person, I probably said something to the people before writing about them.

That doesn't mean that I am fighting anyone, it just means that I feel like if I am going to talk shit about someone online that I had been around in person, I had better be willing to say it directly to them in person.
    Last edited by GuyInTucson; 08-09-2011 at 03:12 PM.

I'm sorry, but this is just plain dumb. You're saying that a pudgy middle-aged guy in glasses should have provoked a confrontation with a group of BLACK 20 year olds acting like hoodlums. Think about that. Think about how fucking stupid that would have been.

Then you're saying that since Albini did not provoke a confrontation he had no right to write about it on the internet. You might as well say that a person who does not resist a mugging has no right to report it to the police. Yes, that is a perfectly accurate analogy.

Albini reacted perfectly rationally. He protected his own physical security while the incident was occuring, and then let it be known to the internet once the danger had passed. You can call that 'being a pussy', but, you know, most grown ups don't really worry about what people like you think.
    I believe you missed a word so I fixed it.
    "ain't no thang but a chicken wang"

Right, cuz white people are never violent or anything.

I'm sorry, but this is just plain dumb. You're saying that a pudgy middle-aged guy in glasses should have provoked a confrontation with a group of 20 year olds acting like hoodlums. Think about that. Think about how fucking stupid that would have been.
    How stupid would it have been Tom? Educate me. I am not saying Albini should walk up to Tyler the Creator and start a shoving match. I just believe that if you have something specific to say about someone, you should have the balls to say it to them in person. If you are the type of person to only talk shit about people when they aren't present then there is no respect in that at all.

No, that's not a perfect analogy. That analogy is one of the worst I have seen you make Tom and you are much smarter than that. Albini wasn't the victim like someone being mugged would be. He was an observer who stood by and watched people act immaturely.

As far as what he has a right to do, I never said one way or another what he has the "right" to put online. You're right, he can put up whatever he wants. Just like I have the right to think he's a jaded old fuck who has no balls to say anything to the people he likes to say shit about online.

Sorry, Tom. I disgree. He wasn't protecting anything by keeping his mouth shut and then making a post online. I think you're misinterpreting my point. Again, I am not saying to pick a fist-fight with Odd Future. Just address the problem in a peaceful fashion and if they want to fight, handle it how you deem necessary. Whether that be actually engaging in an altercation or going in the opposite direction and simply backing down, at least have it within yourself to address it in person in some way rather than waiting to post it online where it's not productive in any way, shape or form.

Your arguments make repeated references to genitalia. Earlier, you said he was a pussy; now you say he should have had balls. Your stance is more macho than mine.

Also, change my analogy to a guy witnessning a mugging and doing nothing to stop it because he was afraid to. Why does that make it wrong for him to say something about it later?
    Last edited by TomAz; 08-09-2011 at 03:24 PM.

The irony of the Albini rant ("Clip your year-end column and put it away for ten years. See if you don't feel like an idiot when you reread it.") is that exactly ten years later, Pitchfork released its reconfigured '90s albums list, and they had Siamese Dream and Exile in Guyville as the second and third best albums of 1993, respectively. Billy Corgan and Liz Phair were both pretty damn embarrassing circa 2003, but their 1993 albums held up with the indie intelligentsia then, and they probably do now as well.

Sadly, history has not rendered a similar verdict for Urge Overkill. But we'll always have that awesome Neil Diamond cover from Pulp Fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    The irony of the Albini rant ("Clip your year-end column and put it away for ten years. See if you don't feel like an idiot when you reread it.") is that exactly ten years later, Pitchfork released its reconfigured '90s albums list, and they had Siamese Dream and Exile in Guyville as the second and third best albums of 1993, respectively. Billy Corgan and Liz Phair were both pretty damn embarrassing circa 2003, but their 1993 albums held up with the indie intelligentsia then, and they probably do now as well.

Sadly, history has not rendered a similar verdict for Urge Overkill. But we'll always have that awesome Neil Diamond cover from Pulp Fiction.
    I note that he didn't identify the contemporary bands that he thought would stand the test of time.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

How stupid would it have been Tom? Educate me. I am not saying Albini should walk up to Tyler the Creator and start a shoving match. I just believe that if you have something specific to say about someone, you should have the balls to say it to them in person. If you are the type of person to only talk shit about people when they aren't present then there is no respect in that at all.

No, that's not a perfect analogy. That analogy is one of the worst I have seen you make Tom and you are much smarter than that. Albini wasn't the victim like someone being mugged would be. He was an observer who stood by and watched people act immaturely.

As far as what he has a right to do, I never said one way or another what he has the "right" to put online. You're right, he can put up whatever he wants. Just like I have the right to think he's a jaded old fuck who has no balls to say anything to the people he likes to say shit about online.

Sorry, Tom. I disgree. He wasn't protecting anything by keeping his mouth shut and then making a post online. I think you're misinterpreting my point. Again, I am not saying to pick a fist-fight with Odd Future. Just address the problem in a peaceful fashion and if they want to fight, handle it how you deem necessary. Whether that be actually engaging in an altercation or going in the opposite direction and simply backing down, at least have it within yourself to address it in person in some way rather than waiting to post it online where it's not productive in any way, shape or form.
    You very clearly are fairly inexperienced in this world.

Again, I am not saying to pick a fist-fight with Odd Future. Just address the problem in a peaceful fashion and if they want to fight, handle it how you deem necessary.
    Standing up and walking over to a group of people whoe are very clearly acting aggressively to call them out is, in fact, picking a fight. Naively taking the bait does not make you any more impressive than laying the bait.

If they had assaulted another passenger and then he stepped in to protect the passenger, that might be a different story.

He wasn't protecting anything by keeping his mouth shut and then making a post online.
    He was avoiding a completely unnecessary fight in a public location. Provoking them would have done nothing to "protect" anyone.
    Last edited by york707; 08-09-2011 at 04:11 PM.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

I don't really care about either side of this but comparing teenagers being....teenagers and being annoying, obnoxious and vulgar to a person committing a crime is a little silly don't cha think?
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Wake me up when Steve Angello wants me to make some fucking noise

Albini fo life. But get over it, kids are annoying.

Stupid debate is stupid. It's not everyone's responsibility to police others obnoxious but mostly harmless actions, especially when in most cases it'll do no good. That doesn't preclude you from having a personal opinion about the matter. I'm pretty sure everyone on this board has seen someone doing something completely obnoxious in public and then talked shit about them with their friends. Shut the fuck up already.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Stupid debate is stupid. Shut the fuck up already.

Seriously.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

DON'T TALK ABOUT THINGS
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    I note that he didn't identify the contemporary bands that he thought would stand the test of time.
    If I had to put words in his mouth, based on albums he worked on that year, and quotes and things I've heard him say, my best guess would be: Nirvana, Jawbreaker, and PJ Harvey. There would probably be another band that totally tanked or never took off, so just choose any underground Chicago band from 1993 that he loved that never did anything.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Telling dumb ass teenagers to stop acting like assholes when they are with friends is great god damn way to make them act like bigger assholes.

I see nothing wrong with him mentioning later that they were assholes.

It's not like he popped up his twitter right when he got away from them to start talking shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkjustice View Post
    this mix is tripping me out
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

Funny stuff... Idiots all around! Albini just citied what those kids were saying. He stated they could rap about whatever they want and he would respect that. But really - being an asshole on the public is just being an asshole on the public. No genre or race issue is behing. Do not look for the hidden meanings, there is nothing.

I can sing about eating the poop and drinking piss if I want to, but that doesnt mean I will bother other people with ideas for my new lyriccs on the plane in Spain.
    Definitelly no race issue here. These guys are just idiots, end of the story.
    Or do you think Bad Brains, Living Colour and other bands consisting mainly of black people would acting like this?

Asshole is an asshole - black, white, red, yellow.

7/22 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Prospect Park
    7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Teenage Fanclub @ Pier 84
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA
    7/25 Nick Cave @ Prospect Park
    7/26 Cell Injection/Black Asteroid @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.