Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ambient Music

Default Ambient Music

Couldn't find a thread on the subject, forgive me if I missed it.

Thanks to this board I have been turned on to the amazing sounds of Mark McGuire's guitar work and was hoping to find some more beautiful discoveries. I've also found this is one of the few genres of music I'm able to read or sleep to. Anyway, what are some ambient essentials in your eyes?

Default Re: Ambient Music

I haven't listened to a lot of ambient music, I love Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works Vol. I but find Vol. II really difficult to get into. I think it's b/c I like a little percussion or tempo instead of just droning.

I also like Moby, if he counts.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

I like ambient music. Right now I'm pretty much involved in studying the ambient acts at this year's Decibel Festival. Ulrich Schnauss is quite lovely.
    Rhythm is a dancer.

Currently listening to TCH.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Any exploration of ambient music has to start with Brian Eno's work from the 1970s (Discreet Music, Music for Films, Ambient 1: Music for Airports, Ambient 4: On Land, Apollo: Atmosphere's and Soundtracks); the guy practically invented the genre.

I also really enjoy William Basinski's Disintegration Loops.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    the guy practically invented the genre.
    paging wmgaretjax.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Terre Thaemlitz (DJ Sprinkles) hasn't done ambient in a while, but this interview is funny.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1134

"When I was first DJing ambient music in New York, it was at this event called The Electric Lounge Machine. I forget the guy's name, but it was run by the graphic designer of Eightball Records at the time. It was the first regular ambient event in New York. Our objective was to see how quickly we could make people fall asleep."

Based on this quote, I'm sure Thaemlitz has some pretty good ambient mixes from the 90s.
    "White people's skin is their jewelry." -Heems

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    paging wmgaretjax.
    I'm about to be taken to task, aren't I...
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

He'll be nice about it.
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

He'll just note that claiming Eno as a founder of ambient is a popular inaccuracy and that there were plenty of people pioneering it earlier than that. He'll have a slight bitter, slightly resigned tone.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I bought myself DJ Shadow's Entroducing LP a couple days ago. I really love it.

7/24 - Stevie Wonder @ Hollywood Bowl
    8/6 - HARD - LA State Historic Park
    9/3 - FYF @ LA State Historic Park

Quote Originally Posted by weareyourfriends View Post
    I bought myself DJ Shadow's Entroducing LP a couple days ago. I really love it.
    Not ambient but nice try.

Well that didn't take long.

I'm no expert, but here's some stuff I'm familiar with. (It's not my intention to embed ALL the videos, by the way... otherwise this would get too crazy, and it's not all 100% on-topic )

Modern "Ambient":
    Chillwave is the more popular offshoot; it's been discussed in plenty of places on this forum already. Not ambient, but certainly derived from a combination of ambient, hip hop, pop, shoegaze etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Trent View Post
    I've been listening to lots of Peaking Lights' 936 and the new Washed Out and I realized that I don't have nearly enough of this kind of music,
    any recommendations about similar albums would be appreciated
    Memory Tapes, Toro Y Moi, Com Truise, Miracle Fortress, Neon Indian, Namine, Beat Connection, Chilly Willy, Blackbird Blackbird, Teen Daze were recommended by boardies in response to this. I'd add Pictureplane, Baths, Teengirl Fantasy, Star Slinger.
    Neon Indian "Deadbeat Summer" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlJ27Dcv4fc
    Washed Out - "Feel it all around" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DkslcOhytU
    Baths - "Lovely Bloodflow" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVTrZjY2K5I

http://www.brainfeedersite.com/ - label incorporating elements of hip hop and dubstep with a strong ambient feel. Bassier and faster than old-school ambient in many cases.
    Matthewdavid

Strangeloop

Teebs "Wind Loops" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SyHJVB8-RU
    Lucky Dragons "Honeycombhouse" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iusxbRCjn5I
    SFV Acid "Summer's Vage Cloud" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4EQ_ey2n74

Baths has an older, more "authentic" ambient project called Geotic which he's currently touring with Dntel. All his music is free to download here:
    http://www.angelfire.com/indie/postfoetus/geotic.html

Dntel - Clelia II (his latest ~30min EP)

Carbon Based Life Forms

Robin Guthrie, of Cocteau Twins fame. His solo work and his collabs with Harold Budd and John Foxx make up the majority of his post-Cocteaus releases, but he has worked in the studio with many other bands. He also had a project with another female vocalist after he and Liz split, called Violet Indiana. If you like Mark McGuire, check out Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by blazin View Post
    I'm no expert, but here's some stuff I'm familiar with. (It's not my intention to embed ALL the videos, by the way... otherwise this would get too crazy, and it's not all 100% on-topic )

Modern "Ambient":
    Chillwave is the more popular offshoot; it's been discussed in plenty of places on this forum already. Not ambient, but certainly derived from a combination of ambient, hip hop, pop, shoegaze etc.

Memory Tapes, Toro Y Moi, Com Truise, Miracle Fortress, Neon Indian, Namine, Beat Connection, Chilly Willy, Blackbird Blackbird, Teen Daze were recommended by boardies in response to this. I'd add Pictureplane, Baths, Teengirl Fantasy, Star Slinger.
    Neon Indian "Deadbeat Summer" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlJ27Dcv4fc
    Washed Out - "Feel it all around" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DkslcOhytU
    Baths - "Lovely Bloodflow" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVTrZjY2K5I

http://www.brainfeedersite.com/ - label incorporating elements of hip hop and dubstep with a strong ambient feel. Bassier and faster than old-school ambient in many cases.
    Matthewdavid

None of this is ambient. Chill-wave isn't ambient. Matthewdavid and almost everything I've heard off of Brainfeeder isn't ambient. No.

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Why not post ambient clips instead of turning this into another douchey know-it-all thread.

Ambient is what you get in the backgrounds of movies by Apichatpong Weerasethakul and Gaspar No, just noise with a pulse. It's also a lot of things but hip-hop, it is not.

90's Ambient - The stuff I grew up with:
    Spacetime Continuum (aka Jonah Sharp, Reagenz, Strange Attractor, Emit Ecaps etc)
    One of my favorite tracks of all time. This album, Sea Biscuit, has guided me through many journeys.

Possibly better known for his work With Terence McKenna (Researcher, author, lecturer fascinated with "hallucinogenic shamanism," primarily with DMT, yag and mushrooms)
    Check this link for an intro to their collaborations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USVNwNjmdkI

The Irresistible Force (aka Mixmaster Morris)
    Flying High is still one of the masterpieces of that era, in my opinion. When my time comes, I hope someone injects me with a barrel full of k and puts this album on repeat.
    Here's the title track:

The Higher Intelligence Agency

FSOL - Environments, Lifeforms are some of their more ambient works

The Orb - of course,one of the most well-known ambient projects of all time, but technically "ambient dub."

Other ambient/breakcore/IDM acts from this era (and beyond) include autechre, -Ziq, aphex twin, Seefeel, Black Dog Productions (which lost a member and became Plaid)...

Back in the day, I listed to a bit of psy-trance. One of the pioneers of the Harthouse label, along with Sven Vath, was Oliver Lieb. He's had a million projects including L.S.G, but Spicelab was my favorite. Ambient Trance at its finest.

Coil are a favorite of the dark ambient variety. They were formed from the ashes of Throbbing Gristle. Of their vast body of work, some is more ambient, some more industrial, some more acid, but all dark. Their music (overall) has more vocals than ambient normally incorporates, including spoken word/poetry. They've done a bit of soundtrack work, including for Hellraiser and Derek Jarman films. [RIP Jhonn and Sleazy]

There are only a couple of youtubes... but this album is one of my favorites.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 08-05-2011 at 02:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town
    DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Caribou - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    None of this is ambient. Chill-wave isn't ambient. Matthewdavid and almost everything I've heard off of Brainfeeder isn't ambient. No.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    Why not post ambient clips instead of turning this into another douchey know-it-all thread.
    If you can't appreciate the time I spent putting together some stuff for the op of this thread, then fuck off. Go read another one. I was very clear about what I was posting, not trying to pretend it's "real" ambient. Besides, the genre is so deep and vast, there's no way anyone could cover everything. This is MY contribution. Where's yours?

I'm certainly no know-it-all. Forgive me for sharing something I'm passionate about... instead of regurgitating a bunch of the same old arguments about the same bands like many of the threads on here.
    I figured after two years of coming here just to find information (and rolling my eyes at some of the attitudes) I'd finally start contributing. I didn't expect to be warmly welcomed, but come on...

I'm no expert, but here's some stuff I'm familiar with....
    ...it's not all 100% on-topic ...
    ...Not ambient, but certainly derived from a combination of ambient, hip hop, pop, shoegaze etc...

...incorporating elements of hip hop and dubstep with a strong ambient feel. Bassier and faster than old-school ambient in many cases.
    ...older, more "authentic" ambient project

Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    I don't want it to become that either. I listen to a lot of instrumental albums, and some of my favorite artists are almost completely instrumental, but most aren't leaning toward the ambient genre. The closest one I can think of of late is Infinite Body's Carve Out The Face of My God. I would really like to discuss more recent ambient artists and albums. Starting the first page off with a bunch of chill-wave artists is not a good sign that this thread will go far.

Chill-wave is the utilization of synthesizers and loops and noise to create pop music, dare-I-say an easy form of pop music because the majority of it is created within the confines of a bedroom, but it and the artists involved have shifted entirely away from the ambient genre to make their music more accessible to the internet masses. Ambient music is not sing-songy and beat-heavy, thus not Chill-wave.

Seriously though, watch Enter The Void and listen to Thomas Bangalter's semi-soundtrack - Ambient. And watch the scenes of the jungle in movies like Uncle Boonmee and Tropical Malady. Ambiance creates a mood, it is not there to use to grind up on a girl/boy, but to evoke an emotion from the sounds and washed-over noises it incorporates.

Look, the OP cited that he wants some ambient music suggestions along the line of what he's heard out of Mark McGuire. A ton of music I like as "an ambient feel" but that doesn't mean it's ambient and it doesn't mean it's worth posting for someone looking for a very specific thing.

Colleen

Belong

Nadja. These guys aren't ambient electronic, which I think the OP was going for, and may not even be considered 'ambient', but are awesome nonetheless. This track is 21 minutes long.

Stars of the Lid

RAPE STOVE

white power?!

You guys and your genre arguments.

The second I saw the thread title I knew it would very quickly devolve into a pissing match between who knows what about REAL ambient music. Pains in the asses you lot are.
    I'm just about to head out of the office so I'll just quickly throw out some names in my normal ambient rotation:
    Future Sounds of London
    like 80% of Moby's work
    Gui Borrato
    Nightmares on Wax (Carboot Soul ftw)
    The mentioned Brian Eno works
    Trentmoller
    Enigma (A Posteriori is AMAZING FOREVER)
    Certain DJ Krush albums/tracks
    William Orbit
    I have tons others but those are the ones that immediately come to mind.
    I appreciate all of the ones above that I've yet to have listened to, I *always* enjoy coming across new/different ambient work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Look, the OP cited that he wants some ambient music suggestions along the line of what he's heard out of Mark McGuire. A ton of music I like as "an ambient feel" but that doesn't mean it's ambient and it doesn't mean it's worth posting for someone looking for a very specific thing.
    Are you even a part of the discussion, or are you just here to try and police it? I'm sure jeffp1717 is a big boy and capable of combing through my response to find what he wants. That's the purpose of the descriptions, and the youtubes. And the whole idea behind a music forum as diverse as this one is not to limit oneself to such a narrow sound, is it?

I see people get bitched at all the time for starting threads unnecessarily, as well. It would seem a thread that has a genre as it's heading might be capable of encompassing more than one facet of said genre. The thread is called "Ambient Music," not "Artists that sound like Mark McGuire." And I gave him a specific recommendation that is pretty similar.

I'm done defending my actions to you... carry on.

If you can't appreciate the time I spent putting together some stuff for the op of this thread, then fuck off. Go read another one. I was very clear about what I was posting, not trying to pretend it's "real" ambient. Besides, the genre is so deep and vast, there's no way anyone could cover everything. This is MY contribution. Where's yours?
    Your contributions are great. I was mostly talking to the few posters who contributed different genres. There have been a slew of new, genre-themed threads, so if chill-wave or hip-hop instrumental artists are all one can come up with when asked to contribute ambient recommendations then I urge those guys to create or contribute to threads of that specific genre.

Edit: Your more recent contributions are great.
    Last edited by GoodGirlGalaxy; 08-05-2011 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    You guys and your genre arguments.
    Come on, precision when it comes to genres is important. Like I love Gui Boratto, but Dogvolta saying that he is ambient is simply wrong. It does a disservice to the genre he is actually part of and the genre of ambient. I don't know *enough* about the genre of ambient but I am pretty able to discern what isn't ambient on the basis that I thoroughly understand the distinctive qualities of other genres.

Are you even a part of the discussion, or are you just here to try and police it? I'm sure jeffp1717 is a big boy and capable of combing through my response to find what he wants. That's the purpose of the descriptions, and the youtubes. And the whole idea behind a music forum as diverse as this one is not to limit oneself to such a narrow sound, is it?

I see people get bitched at all the time for starting threads unnecessarily, as well. It would seem a thread that has a genre as it's heading might be capable of encompassing more than one facet of said genre. The thread is called "Ambient Music," not "Artists that sound like Mark McGuire." And I gave him a specific recommendation that is pretty similar.

I'm done defending my actions to you... carry on.
    No, I'm not an expert and it's a genre I'd like more concrete clarification on from people who genuinely seem to know a bit about what might be essential ambient albums. That's why I didn't jump in and say stuff like the new Antlers album has an "ambient feel" to me and I really like it! Hyetal's Broadcast is dubstep but also sort of ambient! But there, now I have and now I've contributed. Also it appears as though my I-tunes has the new Gang Gang Dance listed as ambient. That can't be right.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodGirlGalaxy View Post
    Your contributions are great. I was mostly talking to the few posters who contributed different genres. There have been a slew of new, genre-themed threads, so if chill-wave or hip-hop instrumental artists are all one can come up with when asked to contribute ambient recommendations then I urge those guys to create or contribute to threads of that specific genre.

Edit: Your more recent contributions are great.
    Thanks, and my hostility wasn't directed at you for the most part. I specifically split my post up into two sections, aside from sheer size, because I wanted to point out that there's a lot of new music that the current generation of teen and 20-somethings are much more familiar with that is derived from, but not, ambient. The stuff I know is mainly from the 90s, as I focused more on other areas like drum & bass in later years. I'm virtually clueless about pre-90s ambient, save for some of the industrial stuff. The most off-topic links I included are the ones I didn't embed, fwiw... and the ones i did could all fit into some sub-genre or another.

I'm trying to play by "the rules" of this forum, but everyone seems to have a different version of them so that makes it really hard to please everyone. I just want to share information in this vast area of life we call MUSIC and maybe find a few new treasures in the process. No harm intended.