Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Oslo bombing and Utoya massacre, Norway.

Default Re: Oslo bombing and Utoya massacre, Norway.

You quit your Irish yapping and bring me a lean Christian infant of good and hearty complexion for my afternoon sup.

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    It is, but it's in a large part cribbed from the Unabomber and various other screeds. It also makes a reference to Jews running Ireland, which is a new one on me I confess.
    He also makes a reference to making alliances with non-Muslim groups from Lebanon to China to combat Muslims.

He's a bit of a contradiction but who isn't?

But tomorrow we'll end up finding out when he goes to court though.

He makes repeated references to Nazis as Marxists, I just mean to say that his writings - although detailed, and clearly laboured over - are a lot more incoherent than they first appear.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    You quit your Irish yapping and bring me a lean Christian infant of good and hearty complexion for my afternoon sup.
    My liege.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

This thread needs a new direction

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Blowjobs are the best when your pubes are moist with tears
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I got really good grades in school, but I suck at life.

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotek View Post
    Jesus, you were once an Evangelical? I can't say the same for myself since I never really practiced it much to begin with.

Shit, I really don't blame you for being an agnostic.

And yeah, spot on with what you just said. Look, I agree with a lot on what you say, but I just disagree that the right does not have their share to blame.
    I think the crazy-right has a lot of blame for many things... but I tend to think that for psychotics, they'll find a way to be psychotic, regardless. But who knows what would have happened in the absence of those groups... I don't. So that said... I'll leave it at that, and thank you for seeing me half-way.

What really pisses me off is that apparently there is a 21 year max prison sentence for murders...say what you want about the death penalty, but the fact that this guy will see the light of day while he's still young enough to do damage is kinda fucking scary.

Ohhh, so we're going with hot Norwegian chicks now? Ok then, carry on.

The 21 year sentence is arguable. It's my understanding that there's a provision in Norwegian law to keep him for a further five years if he's considered a danger to society, and then a further five years on top of that, and so on. So theoretically, he could indeed be held for life.

^^^ ok, I was not aware of that. That's a bit better...

Frankly, I think they should go medieval on his ass in a public square, but that's just me.

Typically excellent piece from the typically excellent Charlie Brooker.

Soon, the front page of Saturday's Sun was rolling off the presses. "Al-Qaeda" Massacre: NORWAY'S 9/11 – the weasel quotes around the phrase "Al Qaeda" deemed sufficient to protect the paper from charges of jumping to conclusions.

By the time I went to bed, it had become clear to anyone within glancing distance of the internet that this had more in common with the 1995 Oklahoma bombing or the 1999 London nail-bombing campaign than the more recent horrors of al-Qaida.

While I slept, the bodycount continued to rise, reaching catastrophic proportions by the morning. The next morning I switched on the news and the al-Qaida talk had been largely dispensed with, and the pundits were now experts on far-right extremism, as though they'd been on a course and qualified for a diploma overnight.

Some remained scarily defiant in the face of the new unfolding reality. On Saturday morning I saw a Fox News anchor tell former US diplomat John Bolton that Norwegian police were saying this appeared to be an Oklahoma-style attack, then ask him how that squared with his earlier assessment that al-Qaida were involved. He was sceptical. It was still too early to leap to conclusions, he said. We should wait for all the facts before rushing to judgment. In other words: assume it's the Muslims until it starts to look like it isn't – at which point, continue to assume it's them anyway.

If anyone reading this runs a news channel, please, don't clog the airwaves with fact-free conjecture unless you're going to replace the word "expert" with "guesser" and the word "speculate" with "guess", so it'll be absolutely clear that when the anchor asks the expert to speculate, they're actually just asking a guesser to guess. Also, choose better guessers. Your guessers were terrible, like toddlers hypothesising how a helicopter works. I don't know anything about international terrorism, but even I outguessed them.

As more information regarding the identity of the terrorist responsible for the massacre comes to light, articles attempting to explain his motives are starting to appear online. And beneath them are comments from readers, largely expressing outrage and horror. But there are a disturbing number that start, "What this lunatic did was awful, but . . ."

These "but" commenters then go on to discuss immigration, often with reference to a shaky Muslim-baiting story they've half-remembered from the press. So despite this being a story about an anti-Muslim extremist killing Norwegians who weren't Muslim, they've managed to find a way to keep the finger of blame pointing at the Muslims, thereby following a narrative lead they've been fed for years, from the overall depiction of terrorism as an almost exclusively Islamic pursuit, outlined by "security experts" quick to see al-Qaida tentacles everywhere, to the fabricated tabloid fairytales about "Muslim-only loos" or local councils "banning Christmas".

We're in a frightening place. Guesswork won't lead us to safety.
    EDIT:

Sorry, forgot to post the link to the full article. Worth a read, despite the subtlety-free choice of photo.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-mass-killings
    Last edited by MissingPerson; 07-24-2011 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinon View Post
    ^^^ ok, I was not aware of that. That's a bit better...

Frankly, I think they should go medieval on his ass in a public square, but that's just me.
    That ain't the way Nordic countries tend to roll. They'd consider it beneath them.

Kind of a shame, IMO. Not to say every country should dole out death as often as Texas, but this guy deserves so much worse than (at least) 21 years in what will likely be a much more palatable prison experience than that in the states.

Re: the above story, John Bolton is an ass of epic proportions...always has been, always will be. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinon View Post
    I think the crazy-right has a lot of blame for many things... but I tend to think that for psychotics, they'll find a way to be psychotic, regardless. But who knows what would have happened in the absence of those groups... I don't. So that said... I'll leave it at that, and thank you for seeing me half-way.

What really pisses me off is that apparently there is a 21 year max prison sentence for murders...say what you want about the death penalty, but the fact that this guy will see the light of day while he's still young enough to do damage is kinda fucking scary.
    Don't disagree at all. But Norway will most likely make an exception and leave him behind bars for an indefinite amount of time based on what I have read about Norway's criminal justice system.

I must apologize if I came across as going "full retard" earlier. I've been posting on this topic on other sites and boards so it's just got me heated. I'm also just a bit sensitive because I did have a gun pulled to my head after the 7/7 London bombings as part of the backlash for being a "dirty Paki terrorist", but I will not hesitate to apologize if I did any wrong on wrongful assumptions.

And I must correct myself, I am semi-practicing I guess you could say.. I'm more what you call a "cultural Muslim" haha

I hope - and suspect - that the Norwegians will have more sense than to give his forthcoming court statements any more representation in the press than they absolutely have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Somewhat unexpected given how much attention has been paid to his affiliation with neo-Nazis. They're not usually too keen on us Jews. I'm done now, though. Have a good day.
    One more thing Hannahrain, this article should reinforce the view that anti-Semitism among the far-right in Europe has been replaced with a more militant view to combat Muslims: http://www.jta.org/news/article/2011...ael-philosophy

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    I hope - and suspect - that the Norwegians will have more sense than to give his forthcoming court statements any more representation in the press than they absolutely have to.
    I do want the figures that inspired him to receive a lot of scrutiny for what they allowed to bring forth, namely Robert Spencer, Pamela Geller, Fjordman, Geert Wilders, the EDL, and any other far-right group that is anti-Muslim and anti-multiculturalism.

This should mark the end of their careers of spreading hatred and intolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotek View Post
    Don't disagree at all. But Norway will most likely make an exception and leave him behind bars for an indefinite amount of time based on what I have read about Norway's criminal justice system.

I must apologize if I came across as going "full retard" earlier. I've been posting on this topic on other sites and boards so it's just got me heated. I'm also just a bit sensitive because I did have a gun pulled to my head after the 7/7 London bombings as part of the backlash for being a "dirty Paki terrorist", but I will not hesitate to apologize if I did any wrong on wrongful assumptions.

And I must correct myself, I am semi-practicing I guess you could say.. I'm more what you call a "cultural Muslim" haha
    No worries man... considering the high level of wannabe Internet all-star assholocity that is fairly endemic on this board, this post was very refreshing. I personally really enjoy hearing new and distinct viewpoints. No one is free from bias (and believe you me, I can't stand right-wing racists), but you recognize yours (which if you had a gun pulled on you, you have every reasonable right to be biased), and that's all I can ask. Cheers mate, for that I will go and read your tl;dr post.

Apparently the maximum sentence one can receive in Norway is 21 years. Reminds me of the Pedro Lpez case.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 07-24-2011 at 09:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town
    DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater

The Labour Youth guys have voiced their intention to have their camp in Utoya again next year.

Have to hand it to Norway, those folks have grit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Apparently the maximum sentence one can receive in Norway is 21 years.
    I will not post anymore graphic pictures unless I want to be banned. Only warning.
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

^ eh... what or whom am I looking at exactly?

Someone that lost a fight?

Al those bitching that he is "only getting 21 years" STFU. This is Norway's case to be tried not any of ours, but then again...

AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!!!! COMIN TO SAVE NORWAY'S JUDICIAL SYSTEM!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Al those bitching that he is "only getting 21 years" STFU. This is Norway's case to be tried not any of ours, but then again...

AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!!!! COMIN TO SAVE NORWAY'S JUDICIAL SYSTEM!!!
    haha yep

Must also piss off the righties that Norway isn't going to appease anyone and will stick to their guns when it comes to tolerance and democracy.

^^^ uhhhhhhhh, no.

Apparently posting anything intelligent in this thread requires owning one's own personal vulva.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

also, when I first heard this news, I didn't think of Al Qaeda, I thought of Norwegian black metal.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

^same
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Haven't heard much on the videogame angle yet, but I'm expecting Sky News & Chums to go totally gangbusters on it either today or tomorrow.

I might just switch off my television, save myself some rage.

Varg nods his head in approval