Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011

Thread: Primavera 2012

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Default Re: Primavera 2012

I could have worked them into the schedule, but we were pretty beat after The Men and it would have been a bit of a walk. Looking at the schedule now, I don't think at the time I realized I could have made it happen. Oh well.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Yeah, Primavera is grand. If I lived in Europe, I'd go every year. Would definitely return in 2013 if they have another lineup up there with last year's, but right now my priority is Iceland Airwaves. I really miss the pre-show meetups and drinks.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Heather and I are thinking very seriously about doing Roskilde next year, which I've also heard really good things about!
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Dude, I will meet you there. I have been dying to go back
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

First of all, how the hell Andrew remembers all of that so well is completely beyond me, but I am very happy to relay my Jeff Mangum experience:

We went to the festival early, around 2pm, on Saturday (Jeff Mangum day 2) in order to make sure I was able to get tickets; however we had heard from friends the day before that the Mangum tix weren't actually hard to acquire. And in fact when we arrived to stand in line they had increased the number of tickets per person from 1 to 2.

I stood in a second line in order to get a good seat for Mangum, and indeed when they let us in I was able to get very close (8th row by my count) and in the center. I was feeling pretty pleased with myself until Jeff walked onstage and said "hey guys, you don't have to be so far away, come closer." The crowd hesitated about 2.5 seconds then literally LEAPED forward and surrounded him on the steps leading up to the stage. The security/sound people in the wings nervously scampered onstage to protect Jeff but no one actually jumped on him or anything. Everyone just sort of settled around him like a pow wow and Jeff started the set.

Now, when we saw him in LA he had backup with brass, which was great, but this was just the man and his guitar. (Does he ever breathe?) Here is the setlist for the night: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/jeff-m...-13dfd97d.html As usual, Oh Comely blew my fucking socks off (probably my favorite NMH song). Little Birds is really quite wonderful live as well.

Jeff asked everyone to sing, but the largely non-English-speaking audience must have a hard time with the lyrics, because not many people actually chimed in, including me, though I do know all the words to most of the songs, because I didn't want to ruin anyone's experience. ("You guys didn't sing very loud," quoth Jeff.) However, everyone was very willing and able to sing the missing brass parts.

Finally, maybe also because of the language barrier, a shitload of people were taking pictures in spite of the "please don't take pictures" announcement in Spanish and English. I admit it was tempting because the crowd gathered closely around Jeff was really quite a sight. Probably there are pics floating around online if you would like to search.

Ok....that's all I think!
    Last edited by MissBellaHell; 06-06-2012 at 09:01 PM.
    At least in *my* awesome opinion.

Why did Sleep cancel?
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Same reason the other acts cancelled ''reasons beyond out control''

Nah, one of the members got really sick. I walked by the end of Thee Oh Sees' set (which was to be right before Sleep's) and they said one of the guys was in the hospital. Then on facebook Primavera said that it was due to Matt Pike getting an illness
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Nah, one of the members got really sick. I walked by the end of Thee Oh Sees' set (which was to be right before Sleep's) and they said one of the guys was in the hospital. Then on facebook Primavera said that it was due to Matt Pike getting an illness
    i freaked out when i heard about this on saturday which was the day before i flew out to seattle to see two nights of sleep shows. everything was good though, matt looked pretty good and was in high spirits, especially cause it was his 40th birthday that weekend. sleep killed it as usual.
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    This is being taken care of.

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    This is being taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Why did Sleep cancel?
    Keith Morris in his set mentioned that one of the dudes in SLEEP suffered an aneurysm.
    Coachella 01' - 13' and still counting..... 13th year!!!! Geez, I'm getting old..

Inundation of photos tomorrow.
    last.fm

Matt Pike is getting sober? The end is nigh

Porto Primavera is so damn cheap. Pretty ace location too. Weather hasn't been great, but every act sounded ace last night - especially Yann Tiersen.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Photos!

i'll include one or two photos of each band. This'll be a big post, so don't quote the entire thing, please.

The Wedding Present

Archers of Loaf

Afghan Whigs

Mudhoney

Beirut

Refused

Spiritualized

Japandroids

Chavez

Rufus Wainwright

The War On Drugs

The Cure

Napalm Death

Trash Talk

M83

The Men

Michael Gira

Sleepy Sun

Lisabö

Forest Swords

Atlas Sound

Olivia Tremor Control

Real Estate

OFF!

Shellac

Godflesh

Washed Out

Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 06-08-2012 at 12:47 PM.
    last.fm

And now a bunch of random non-band pictures from around the fest to give you a feeling for it.
    Also, there's a ton more photos on my Flickr stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewm...7630016454807/

last.fm

Chris I wanna hear about Porto!
    last.fm