Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Knight Rises.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises.

So I had been unaware that this was a finite trilogy. Now that I know that, I find the new-villain-in-each-movie approach to be fairly disappointing.

It's not that you COULDN'T tell a continuous, long-form story capable of being told over 3 films with different villains in each one -- it's just that you've inevitably got to dedicate so much time to introducing those characters, giving them some semblance of a compelling character arc, etc. that your STORY is going to suffer for it.

Admittedly, the Nolan Batman trilogy has had some unforeseeable complications with continuity - Katie Holmes morphing into Maggie Gyellylgllylelglnahl and Heath Ledger biting it.

It just bums me out that now, when comic book movies are pretty close to a guaranteed thing - especially Batman movies - studios still don't have the balls to just tell a good character-driven story that doesn't devolve into crowbarring as many recognizable characters as possible into the films.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Flashback or not, the fact he has to bring that character back AGAIN for whatever reason, just like he did with Scarecrow in TDK (seriously why the hell was he in that film, even if for a short few seconds?), proves comments like this:

are just plain stupid (like the Nolan/Batman fanboys themselves).
    Yeah, my quote was obviously not directed towards to the small role that Scarecrow played in the second Batman or even some unknown role for Ghul. My comment was directed towards how shitty of an idea it is to make a trilogy using Scarecrow as a primary villain in every single film since probably three people would be stoked about it while millions would just feel jipped. I saw the fucking movies genius, I know that Scarecrow was in the first AND second.

EDIT: It would be nice to see a villain develop as well as Batman throughout a trilogy, which would make for an even better epic conflict by the end of the films, but we all know that the villain would be the Joker if that happened, like it always is, and for some reason that just doesn't sit as well with me as using other great villains like Bane or Ghul, despite the wasted time for introduction
    Last edited by frizzlefry; 07-18-2011 at 09:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

According to wiki Josh Pence is going to be Ra's al Ghul in this movie. Wtf?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra's_al_Ghul

Also from wiki. Why Ra's will most likely be in this and being played by someone else

In the comics Ra's was not young Bruce Wayne's mentor and trainer. However, - in his long life has trained the likes of Bane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Except for the fact that he's immortal.
    I'm pretty sure Nolan has said he doesn't like the idea of using superhuman characters, so I can't imagine him bringing in the Lazarus Pits.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Yeah I'm not going to trust wiki on that at all
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

I love how this movie is coming out in a YEAR and this thread is already five pages deep. Im wagering it will be approximately 45 to 50 pages by the time the movie comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    I don't know why everyone is hating on Two Face in TDK, I thought it was good. Catwoman worries me more than any other villain, I've always thought her story arch was dumb.
    I vastly enjoyed "The Long Halloween" and how the relationship between Batman/Bruce Wayne and Catwomen/Selina Kyle is.Chris Nolan might get it right.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by AlecEiffel View Post
    I find Lex Luthor to be a character too important to the overall mythos to not be there, even if he isn't the main villain. Like Magneto to the X-Men or Dr. Doom to the Fantastic Four, I think they should be there in some capacity.
    The Xmen have gotten along fine without Magneto as a villain before. They could use the Sentinel project, Apocalypse, The Pheonix Saga, Days of Future Past. Hell both of the Animated shows used Apocalyspe more than Magneto as the biggest villian. The first series probably overused the Pheonix saga. The first season ended with a hint that Magneto was going to finally show up in the second season even though he was featured in the intro animation.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkjustice View Post
    this mix is tripping me out
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

I know, but a long form story like a TV show or a comic series is different than a movie, and I like I said, I don't think he always has to be THE villain, but I think he should at least be there as a supporting character in some way.

I would love to see them use the sentinels, but not having Magneto there to tear up a few of them would be a missed opportunity.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I know, but a long form story like a TV show or a comic series is different than a movie, and I like I said, I don't think he always has to be THE villain, but I think he should at least be there as a supporting character in some way.

I would love to see them use the sentinels, but not having Magneto there to tear up a few of them would be a missed opportunity.
    If sentinals show up, Magneto definitely HAS to be there. The very nature of what they represent in the x-universe necessitates that.

I think it would be amazing if they could get someone like Terry Gilliam or Guillermo Del Toro to sign on and do a Mojo movie, or a Shi'ar movie.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I think a non-X related Longshot/Mojo movie could be pretty amazing.

This thread is going astray.

This movie never needed its own thread anyway. And yes, a longshot movie could be fucking awesome.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

So how about those awesome pictures?

I'm for it.
    last.fm

This thread is an ashtray.

fix'd

meooow
    I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member...

I like how her identity is not concealed AT ALL.

We also have no idea what the context of that photo is.
    last.fm

Gross, and yeah it looks like she probably isn't going to be a villain if using the batbike, fuvking lame
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

maybe its a ..... catbike?

either way. these batman movies are extraordinarily overrated.
    Anne Hathaway is hot and Tom Hardy is a badass.
    but I still doubt I'll see this movie.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Gross, and yeah it looks like she probably isn't going to be a villain if using the batbike, fuvking lame
    that was my concern too. I'm hoping that either (a) she stole the bike, or (b) they were just screwing around when they took this promo photo. ugh, that seems unlikely though.

I read somewhere that the pic was of Hathaway's stunt double, in any case, I'm thinking in this movie Catwoman is Gotham City's hero in Batman's absence (at least in the beginning of the film) - which would be kinda lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    We also have no idea what the context of that photo is.
    It's Anne Hathaway pretending to be catwoman with no mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    They seriously need to retire this genre. What's next? Aquaman? Storm? Radioactive Man?

EDIT* Actually, I would watch the latter.

I was looking into reading some of Frank Miller's Batman graphic novels/comic books. Has anyone read either Year One or The Dark Knight Returns and can give an honest opinion as to whether it is worth the time to check out?
    "White people's skin is their jewelry." -Heems

Quote Originally Posted by GoodGirlGalaxy View Post
    I was looking into reading some of Frank Miller's Batman graphic novels/comic books. Has anyone read either Year One or The Dark Knight Returns and can give an honest opinion as to whether it is worth the time to check out?
    YES. They are both two of Frank Miller's most amazing pieces of work, aside from his Daredevil stuff. Incredible stuff.
    last.fm

Agreed. Those are absolute musts. But do not ever read The Dark Knight Strikes Again if you value your sanity.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Agreed. Those are absolute musts. But do not ever read The Dark Knight Strikes Again if you value your sanity.
    Agreed. Most of Sin City is good though.
    last.fm

Thanks! One last question: which one would be more appropriate to read first?
    "White people's skin is their jewelry." -Heems

I say flip a coin, I read Returns first. Year One is an origin story, Returns (released earlier) is well after Batman is established, if going "chronologically" in the sense of story means anything to you I guess go Year One.