Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roger Waters The Wall 2012

Default Re: Roger Waters The Wall 2012

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't he lip sync at his shows?
    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There's an emoticon for jerking off on this forum?

Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cloud Nothings/The Men - 4/26 - The Mohawk
    Austin Psych Fest - 5/2 - 5/4 - Carson Creek Ranch
    King Khan & the Shrines - 5/30 - The Mohawk
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs
    Swans - 6/27 - The Mohawk
    Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't he lip sync at his shows?
    His mic is live for most of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by DropletsOfYes&No View Post
    Anyone ever think about the whole reason they are having 2 weekends is they are the having the only Pink Floyd reunion in the whole world. Its worth a shot?
    They're going to bring Richard Wright back from the dead? Will that be just for the two sets, or will he get to lurch around for the intervening week too looking for braaaaaaains?

Will Syd sit in on Astronomy Domine, or will he just be regulated to a solo set on the Outdoor Stage?

Quote Originally Posted by noolan View Post
    He'll be in Brazil on 3/25 and has international dates scheduled from January until then. All this indicates he will be touring in 2012.
    All of this indicates that he will be touring Australia from January to February and South America with a redesigned Wall for stadium shows in March possibly into April. Nothing has been set in stone for a North American tour.

And once again just for shits and giggles, this is not a festival show.

EDIT:
    In response to Dale, yes there are certain portions of the show where Roger uses pre-recorded backing vocals in order to strengthen his voice which for the most part cannot hit high notes. For this tour, unlike the Dark Side of the Moon tour, Roger took extensive vocal training in order to reduce the amount of backing vocals he had to use. So the majority of what you are hearing, except for Don't Leave Me Now and The Trial, is Roger singing live.
    Last edited by darksideofkaos.; 07-07-2011 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darksideofkaos. View Post
    All of this indicates that he will be touring Australia from January to February and South America with a redesigned Wall for stadium shows in March possibly into April. Nothing has been set in stone for a North American tour.

And once again just for shits and giggles, this is not a festival show.
    Sorry, I meant it just indicates he is touring in 2012, not that he will be in North America or implicating a Coachella return.

2012 Coachella & TBA
    2011 Wakarusa & Bonnaroo
    2010 Coachella
    2009 Bonnaroo
    2008 Wakarusa

THIS IS NOT A FESTIVAL SHOW!! Seriously people this show is closer to a Broadway show than standard concert.

Plus why would Goldenvoice risk the future of Coachella on Roger Waters after the financial failure of 2008? Especially when you factor the cost of The Wall show vs Dark Side of the Moon show. The double Coachella is a huge financial risk for them and they need to play it safe next year.
    Last edited by Blinken; 07-07-2011 at 03:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    The Smiths - makes me think bin Laden has a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinken View Post
    THIS IS NOT A FESTIVAL SHOW!! Seriously people this show is closer to a Broadway show than standard concert.

This is what I keep hearing. I'd pass on another Coachella appearance.
    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There's an emoticon for jerking off on this forum?

Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cloud Nothings/The Men - 4/26 - The Mohawk
    Austin Psych Fest - 5/2 - 5/4 - Carson Creek Ranch
    King Khan & the Shrines - 5/30 - The Mohawk
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs
    Swans - 6/27 - The Mohawk
    Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk

old school

Plus why would Goldenvoice risk the future of Coachella on Roger Waters after the financial failure of 2008? Especially when you factor the cost of The Wall show vs Dark Side of the Moon show. The double Coachella is a huge financial risk for them and they need to play it safe next year.
    Who do you consider "safe" when a Pink Floyd member doing a full album is a risk? 2008 was slow because Jack Johnson and Portishead were the other headliners.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Who do you consider "safe" when a Pink Floyd member doing a full album is a risk? 2008 was slow because Jack Johnson and Portishead were the other headliners.
    I think what he is referring to is the fact that because 2008 lost money, in large part due to the large costs it took to get both Prince and Waters to perform, why would they try to do the same thing on a year where they are trying something that could be a risky business move.
    Last edited by darksideofkaos.; 07-08-2011 at 01:25 PM.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by darksideofkaos. View Post
    I think what he is referring to is the fact that because 2008 lost money, in large part due to the large costs it took to get both Prince and Waters to perform, why would they try to do the same thing on a year where they are trying something that could be a risky business move.
    McCartney in 2009 cost just as much as Roger did in 2008, if not more. For 2012 there are extremely few acts that are cheaper and/or a bigger draw than RW's. current WALL tour.

GV has already put tickets onsale when most of the booking work is not yet complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    McCartney in 2009 cost just as much as Roger did in 2008, if not more. For 2012 there are extremely few acts that are cheaper and/or a bigger draw than RW's. current WALL tour.

GV has already put tickets onsale when most of the booking work is not yet complete.
    First off, unless you know someone who works for GV or you yourself work for GV you don't know who are what they have planned/scheduled for next year. It's not the cost of getting Waters to perform at Coachella its the cost of putting on the entire show... 2 weeks in a row.

Didn't it cost about 1 mil per show in set up and production costs? Unless if he is Sunday headliner first weekend and Friday second weekend we are looking at about 2 million for GV in setup/production cost. I'm pretty sure that equals no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Yeah GV is a dirt poor company with no money to work with.

I should add that last November AEG and The Joint (Las Vegas) had some discussions about a production of The Wall becoming a resident performance in Las Vegas.
    Of course they were talking about a much different (smaller) production and the option of Roger Waters not performing any or all of the shows. I guess it wouldn't be unusual to say AEG discussed Coachella with Waters.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    Didn't it cost about 1 mil per show in set up and production costs? Unless if he is Sunday headliner first weekend and Friday second weekend we are looking at about 2 million for GV in setup/production cost. I'm pretty sure that equals no.
    Where are these numbers coming from? I found a quote of $60m/ for the entire tour so that comes to a number closer to $500k for the regular arena setup. I don't see a problem production wise with the mechanics of the stage sitting there for 7-8 days and their crew getting the week off.

Another option is having INTEL pick up the stage production bill like they did in 2011 to the tune of a couple hundred grand.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...diums-20110928

He mentions Wrigley Field, Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park but West Coast stadiums are conspicuously absent. Coachella, anyone?

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post

He mentions Wrigley Field, Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park but West Coast stadiums are conspicuously absent. Coachella, anyone?
    from that article i read this:
    "There are quite a few markets we didn't cover last time, like Austin," he says...
    and it makes me a happy boy.
    April 22 - Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial
    April 24 - Godflesh / Mogwai
    April 26 - Cloud Nothings
    May 1 - Ghost
    May 2-4 - Austin Psych Fest
    May 23 - Saint Vitus
    May 27 - Fu Manchu
    June 6-8 - X Games Concerts
    June 12-14 - Sónar Barcelona
    June 27 - Deafheaven / Swans

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Muse might as well named themselves the Pablo Honeys.

I am not going to get my hopes up too much for this, seeing as it's pretty unlikely. Although outdoor venues at places he missed last year is somewhat compelling.

God damn, if Radiohead and Roger Waters were at Coachella 2012 my head would explode.

Quote Originally Posted by Bons222000 View Post
    God damn, if Radiohead and Roger Waters were at Coachella 2012 my head would explode.
    mine too

In 1990, he staged one of the largest rock concerts in history, The Wall – Live in Berlin, with an estimated 200,000 people in attendance.
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs January 11 - Muse January 21 - Cannabis Cup February 17 - UFC 157 February 23 - Coachella W1 - Rolling Stones May 15 - Tame Impala May 30 - Flying Lotus June 1- Infected Mushroom June 20 - EDC June 21-22 - Americanarama Aug. 3 - Queens of the Stone Age Aug. 17 - Black Sabbath Aug 28 & Sept. 3 - Dave Chappelle Sept. 15 - Nocturnal Wonderland Sept. 21 - the Dead Sept. 28 - NIN Nov. 8

Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post

At a baseball field or stadium or what have you, Roger Water's team has at least 20 or so hours to set up HIS OWN specialized stage. At Coach, not only would they not have all that time to get their shit set up, but they won't be able to use their own equipment. I really doubt Coachella would be OK with Roger setting up his own private stage.

I suppose it would be feasible for them to run with a "toned down" setup, but does that really seem his style? I say no. However, at the end of the article, he talks bout playing a greatest hits tour on a smaller scale... Coach 13?

old school

we already got a greatest hits show..
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Daft Punk will unveil its third member, Crush.

old school

Plus why would Goldenvoice risk the future of Coachella on Roger Waters after the financial failure of 2008?
    that doesn't make any sense.. '08 was within 10,000 tickets of selling out before Prince was added, and after all that fuckin money they gave him, it still didn't sell out.. they easily paid Prince 4x what they paid Waters..

Quote Originally Posted by nbvcide View Post
    that doesn't make any sense.. '08 was within 10,000 tickets of selling out before Prince was added, and after all that fuckin money they gave him, it still didn't sell out.. they easily paid Prince 4x what they paid Waters..
    4x seems a little excessive. Even for Prince.

old school

i heard a figure that he got 4 million, i read that Waters was booked prior for 1 million. somebody let me know if i remember that incorrectly..

Quote Originally Posted by mikebspeedracer View Post
    In 1990, he staged one of the largest rock concerts in history, The Wall – Live in Berlin, with an estimated 200,000 people in attendance.
    They had so many technical problems for that show, at one point Waters was tap dancing to keep the crowd entertained when the power shut off.
    "Give me women, wine and snuff
    Until I cry out 'hold, enough!"
    John Keats