Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roger Waters The Wall 2012

Default Roger Waters The Wall 2012

My homeboy said Mark Fisher is working on a stadium design for South America for 2012. Since his 2008 appearance was such a big hit, and they really need to blow it out of the park doing 2 nights in 2012, Roger Waters doing "The Wall" to headline Coachella is just totally obvious.

Default Re: Roger Waters The Wall 2012

obvious eh? for what reasons? is one of your homeboys feeding you insider info?

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Actually this might make sense. the OP is still a SH but considering the amount of $$$ Roger Waters would save in transportation cost + the Salary this could be a shoo in.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Even though I missed him for DSOTM for Justice a few years ago (still dont regret it)

I would DEFINITELY see The Wall in its Entirety

I mean the original tour in the 70s had only 3 stops in the US originally right?

You should regret it because Justice started after Waters.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    HA!
    fuck.

dont see how its obvious, there are slew of headliners GV can pick from that would pull for both weekends, however i would cream my pants if this happened.

i wonder who the lucky people were that found his deflated pig
    Boubakiki>Tom Odell>Flatbush Zombies>GOAT>Austra>MS MR>Jagwar Ma>HAIM>Shlohmo>Bonobo>Woodkid>Bryan Ferry>The Knife>Outkast>
    Syd Arthur>Sander Kleinenberg>Temples>Guy Gerber>Julian Casablancas>Warpaint>Future Islands>Lorde>Pixies>Pharrell>Muse>
    Trombone Shorty>Fishbone>Poolside>Scuba>Rudimental>Blood Orange>ill-Esha>Aluna George>Little Dragon>The Toy Dolls>Lana Del Rey> Beck>Motorhead>Netsky>Arcade Fire

Memorial_07

An elderly couple found the pig on their front lawn and I from what I heard, they took the money offered for the recovery of the pig and donated it to charity.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Modselektor then Simian then Chromeo then Justice. Couldn't skip any of these other than Chromeo. Had an amazing spot for Justice. And even though there was quite possibly the most unnattractive, overweight and loud female Chromeo fan next to me(very unbearable) who kept push dancing into EVERYONE in the area. Satisfaction of that moment was meant after a ski lift, Justice going off and having perfect execution of a 3day Sunday evening camping armpit sliming that girls face directly. Everyone around said girl was pleased with this action. Except said girl. She left Justice after that.

So anywho
    Rogue Waters the Wall Live for 2012

Saw Roger in Anaheim in December, but had shitty seats. I'd wait for hours to be on the rail for this show

The Wall is hitting Australia in January and South America in March. It is possible that The Wall may come back to North America after that but it's just rumor.

As far as Roger bringing The Wall to Coachella, or any other festival for that matter, it's not happening. This is not a festival show, period. Too much has do go in to building it each night something like 20 trucks and hundreds of crew members. Another board member brought up a valid point that the Wall itself, weight-wise, is too much for the Coachella Stage to handle. If Roger were to bring The Wall to a festival it would be minus all of the effects.
    September 20: Fleetmac Wood @ Los Globos
    September 23: Interpol @ Fox Pomona
    September 27: Merchandise @ Echoplex
    October 17: Massive Attack / TV on the Radio @ SB Bowl
    October 21: Metronomy @ The Regent
    November 13: Run the Jewels @ The Echo
    November 18: Real Estate @ The Belasco

I'm sure they could find a way to pull it off if they wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    I'm sure they could find a way to pull it off if they wanted to.
    They would have to restructure the entire Coachella Stage. The inflatables alone are 30 feet tall.

It would cost too much money.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by darksideofkaos. View Post
    The Wall is hitting Australia in January and South America in March. It is possible that The Wall may come back to North America after that but it's just rumor.

As far as Roger bringing The Wall to Coachella, or any other festival for that matter, it's not happening. This is not a festival show, period. Too much has do go in to building it each night something like 20 trucks and hundreds of crew members. Another board member brought up a valid point that the Wall itself, weight-wise, is too much for the Coachella Stage to handle. If Roger were to bring The Wall to a festival it would be minus all of the effects.
    20 trucks isn't that much and nothing Coachella couldn't handle. Especially if it's a friday show.

Lolla went a big effort of make that stage work for gaga's production, which may be bigger and heavier than Roger's set.

What weighs so much for RW's Wall set? Those bricks are made out of cardboard/styrofoam. RW did the entire production outdoors in Berlin 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by darksideofkaos. View Post
    They would have to restructure the entire Coachella Stage. The inflatables alone are 30 feet tall.

It would cost too much money.
    Please. Pink has done her entire trapeze act at European festivals, some inflatable toys could be done. Cost is not too much of a factor. Intel spend a couple hundred grand for a light show that I didn't think was much better than a PC screensaver.

The 2 issues I see working against this booking. Subject matter of the album is not an immediate fit for 75,000 festival. That and the mainstage would probably be shut down for at good 2 hours before he plays.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    The 2 issues I see working against this booking. Subject matter of the album is not an immediate fit for 75,000 festival. That and the mainstage would probably be shut down for at good 2 hours before he plays.
    Those reasons are weaker than the logistical argument.

That and the mainstage would probably be shut down for at good 2 hours before he plays.
    It is possible to erect his set behind a curtain(before the crowd arrives) and have minimal set up before he goes on.

I still doubt The Wall at Coachella, but it would definitely ensure that I get my second weekend tickets, because I couldn't miss The Wall 1 mile from my house, even if I did see it the previous weekend.

I think the logistics of The Wall in its current arena form are formidable. I believe they were setting up the stage for 8 hours before each show and there was no support act, obviously you can't do that at a festival. Also they were using various cherry-pickers and fork lifts-which is where the weight came from.
    There would have to be strict safety controls on access to back/side/front stage to allow them to attempt this kind of production. Knocking the wall down would be a huge safety concern.
    Also the current wall projections don't work so well if there is flash photography or other light sources.

I am sure they could work something, but it would not be anywhere near the arena show in terms of scale and vision.

Coachella Junkie

Subject matter of the album is not an immediate fit for 75,000 festival.
    This makes almost no sense.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    This makes almost no sense.
    WALL is not a party festival album. Some even find it "depressing".

The show does demand you attention for the full 2 hours. Not sure how well it'd work for those only wishing to see "the guy from Pink Floyd" for 30-40 minutes.

The tour did multiple stops in arenas rather than stadiums because a big part of the album is Roger annoyance at the impersonal nature of major stadium level shows. ie: Montreal 1977 infront of 78,000 people goofing off with firecrackers.

WALL is not a party festival album. Some even find it "depressing".

The show does demand you attention for the full 2 hours. Not sure how well it'd work for those only wishing to see "the guy from Pink Floyd" for 30-40 minutes.

The tour did multiple stops in arenas rather than stadiums because a big part of the album is Roger annoyance at the impersonal nature of major stadium level shows. ie: Montreal 1977 infront of 78,000 people goofing off with firecrackers.
    I don't buy this. Of course it's depressing, but plenty of down, slow, and/or depressing acts have headlined Coachella (Radiohead, The Cure (twice), Nine Inch Nails, Bjork (twice), Coldplay, Arcade Fire, Dark Side of the Moon edit: and Tool (twice)) many of which have been some of the most memorable and talked about sets in Coachella's history.

The Wall has fireworks, a huge stage set-up, flames, giant inflatable characters, songs that everyone knows, amazing sound systems, and the fact that it's THE FUCKING WALL. Anyone could walk by and enjoy a little bit of it or the whole thing. Also, McCartney played for 3+ hours at Coachella, the fact that it's 2+ hours does not hinder anything.

Coachella isn't about the guy who only wants to see the guy from Pink Floyd for 30 minutes. Fuck that guy. That guy is only going to see 30 minutes whatever Roger Waters plays. If he doesn't like it he can go see something else. It's not a party festival only. Arcade Fire is not a party band. The Cure is not a party band. The headliners can ideally have some artistic merit and still put on a rock solid show. If you want a party-only atmosphere go to EDC.

I don't see how anyone can not be in favor of this.
    Last edited by Bons222000; 06-28-2011 at 08:31 PM.

Ok lot to respond to Bumblebee...

Of course the bricks themselves arent that heavy since they are only cardboard, but have you seen the rigging behind The Wall? It is immense. If you want an example head to Mark Fischer's site and check out his behind the scene photos. Even the smallest change would lead to massive change in the projections and the rest of the show.

What I think you are missing is not the fact that yes if they really wanted to they could recreate the entire main stage and have it work for The Wall. The cost to do so though would be almost as immense as the stage setup. This is by far the largest scale show ever.

As far as performing The Wall at a festival it doesn't make sense. The Wall is pure theatre and putting it in an outdoor setting with a mass audience takes away from the overall story.

If Roger hasn't decided to make this a festival show yet, why start now.

McCartney did not play for 3+ hours.

Coachella Junkie

but The Cure did.

Anyone ever think about the whole reason they are having 2 weekends is they are the having the only Pink Floyd reunion in the whole world. Its worth a shot?

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    McCartney did not play for 3+ hours.
    i meant to say 2+ hours...typo

i just got my tickets to see roger waters the wall in brisbane australia on feb the first tickets ranged from 100 to 500

old school

Are Public Enemy the only group to play a complete vintage album during the Coachella set?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pointtaken/4960973626/
    Gaga had a heavy left built in to the Lolla stage in 2010. Lolla had to give their stage a $100k stage upgrade to accomodate her bells & whistles.

This is looking more and more likely.

No its not

He'll be in Brazil on 3/25 and has international dates scheduled from January until then. All this indicates he will be touring in 2012.

2012 Coachella & TBA
    2011 Wakarusa & Bonnaroo
    2010 Coachella
    2009 Bonnaroo
    2008 Wakarusa