Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Health Insurance

Default Re: Health Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    The media is all starry eyed over Obama but they don't see how he is changing everything in a radical way. Did you know Obama gives cell phones to people on welfare and he doesn't even drug test them before giving them OUR tax dollars? A lot of people didn't know that. Obama also gives foodstamps to crack heads knowing they are just going to sell their food and babies for more crack money. I guess that's how you organize communities in Chicago. No wonder he wants to take away all of our guns. I hope if he wins again we can impeach him this time. Enough is enough.

You need to lay off the Frightwing Media a bit bro
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I am here to wake you up. Maybe you are just sleeping deeper than others?

naw bro..

i'm very aware about how people exploit outliers for their agendas. You'll need to move on to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    $9/hour landscaping job
    What about it?
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

It was my understanding that someone making $9/hour is eligible for tax credits for whatever insurance plan they pick. Dude's now eligible to get good health coverage for less than $100/month, but is inevitably too stupid to realize that he's a part of the population this healthcare reform is designed to help because he's so focused on theoretical libertarianism.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

At my place of employment, he currently has good coverage for his entire family for $50.00 a month, including vision and dental.
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

Does he work at your place of employment?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by Cheddar's Cousin View Post
    At my place of employment, he currently has good coverage for his entire family for $50.00 a month, including vision and dental.
    Well that's probably just his out of pocket expenses. A comprehensive benefit package like that most likely costs 10x that amount, if not more.

Have any of you freeloaders cashed in yet?

How much will this cost taxpayers? Seems like something has to give. We's broke. We'll eventually need to cut some govt programs (won't happen) or raise taxes. Oh well - I'll feel good about paying more tax because it will benefit people who deserve it and contribute to our society.

We're not broke, is the thing. This is a fiction perpetuated by the right wing as an excuse to dismantle the safety net. The only risk to our ability to pay the federal debt comes from bizarro right wing teabags like Ted Cruz. Otherwise, the economic analysis and financial markets show that the government is borrowing well within its means.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Perhaps protofascists like you Drewbles could explain why we incarcerate nonviolent offenders for life without parole if "we's broke"?

So you’re a judge, and Sharanda P. Jones comes before you for sentencing for conspiracy to distribute crack cocaine. She’s a 32-year-old mom with a 9-year-old daughter and no prior arrests, but she has been caught up in a drug sweep that has led to 105 arrests in her Texas town. Everyone arrested is black.

There are no drugs found on Jones, but her supposed co-conspirators testify against her in exchange for reduced sentences. The whole case is dubious, but she has been convicted. What’s your sentence?

You have little choice. Given the presumptions of the case, she gets a mandatory minimum sentence of life without the possibility of parole. Jump to today and already Jones has spent 14 years in prison and is expected to die behind bars — for a first offense.

At a time when America has been slashing preschool programs, we have also been spending vast sums to incarcerate thousands of nonviolent offenders in life sentences without any possibility of parole. These cases underscore that our mass incarceration experiment has resulted in monstrous injustice and waste — a waste of tax dollars and of human lives.

Judges and prison officials are rebelling at the injustice of our justice system. Here’s what Judge James R. Spencer, a federal district judge, said when sentencing a former F.B.I. informant to life without parole for selling crack cocaine to support his own addiction: “A life sentence for what you have done in this case is ridiculous; it is a travesty.”

But federal law on mandatory minimums left Judge Spencer no leeway. He added: “I don’t agree with it, either. And I want the world and the record to be clear on that. This is just silly.”

Here are some other nonviolent offenders serving life sentences without the possibility of parole:

• Ricky Minor, a meth addict and father of three, was found with 1.2 grams of meth in his home, along with over-the-counter decongestants that can be used to manufacture meth. He was initially charged under Florida law and says he faced a two-and-a-half-year sentence. Later indicted under federal law, he pleaded guilty because his public defender said that otherwise the prosecutors would also pursue his wife, leaving no one to raise their children. Minor had several prior nonviolent offenses, for which he had never served time, and these required Judge Clyde Roger Vinson to sentence him to life without parole. Judge Vinson said that the sentence “far exceeds whatever punishment would be appropriate.”

• Dicky Joe Jackson was a trucker whose 2-year-old son, Cole, needed a bone-marrow transplant to save his life. The family raised $50,000 through community fund-raisers, not nearly enough for the transplant, and Jackson tried to earn the difference by carrying meth in his truck. He has now been in prison for the last 17 years; when he lost his last appeal, he divorced his wife of 19 years so that she could start over in her life. The federal prosecutor in the case acknowledged: “I saw no indication that Mr. Jackson was violent, that he was any sort of large-scale narcotics trafficker, or that he committed his crimes for any reason other than to get money to care for his gravely ill child.”

• Danielle Metz became pregnant at 17 and later married an abusive man who was also a drug dealer. To placate him, she says, she sometimes helped him by fetching cocaine or collecting money from Western Union. After one clash in which he punched her in the face, she took the kids and left him. Two months later, she was indicted. She says that she was prosecuted primarily to induce her to testify against her husband, but that she wasn’t knowledgeable enough to have useful information to trade for a reduced sentence. She has now spent more than 20 years in prison.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Yup, if there's credit on my credit card - it must mean I'm not broke!! Borrow, borrow, borrow. Extend debt ceiling six months at a time.. Don't pass a budget for 3+ years. Keep kicking that can down the road.. We are spending $$ we don't have for this.

The markets are bullshit right now. Fed is pushing $85 million/month into this economy. Once QE ends we will see a correction.

Job #s are not increasing and overall wages are not increasing. Fewer are contributing to the tax basis. More are jumping on the dole for help (record #s on food stamps).

Yes, I am a fascist because I believe in fiscal responsibility and I don't need any more govt in my life.

The federal budget: exactly like Drewbles' Discover Card account.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Drewbles, where'd you find a credit card with a .1% interest rate?? Hook a brother up!

"To forestall a (theoretical, largely imagined) debt crisis in twenty to thirty years that would result in painful austerity and tax increases, we must implement painful austerity now. But not tax increases."

We totally missed out on 17 trillion airline miles
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Easy Questions:

What 3 things does the Federal Government spend the most on

1. Social Security

2. Medicare/Medicaid

3. Military

how many of your elected officials talk about reducing spending in one of these 3 areas?

The whole Kabuki theater of current Washington budget negotiations is that the Republicans very much want to reduce spending on 1 & 2 (and especially 2, see, e.g. the Ryan plan), but that they also very much want Obama to be the person to propose the cuts so they don't get hammered by Democrats in future election ads.

We are of course already cutting #3, and will do so even more when the next round of sequestration hits in January.

the last time Republicans had control of the White House, the Senate and the House of Representatives spending went up on all 3 items

I doubt that will happen again, at least as to Social Security and Medicare. The internalized lesson of the Bush years for the current Republican Party is that W.'s undoing was that he was a "big government" conservative that spent too much, particularly as regards Medicare part D and the bailout. That's not to say that Republicans aren't massive hypocrites when it comes to issues of debt and deficit, or that there's not a huge, lurking tension between the fact that they want to reduce entitlement benefits and the fact that their primary political base is aging white people that benefit from entitlement programs. But I do think we've reached a point where they're ready to abandon the consensus on entitlement programs and start cutting them, provided they can get Democratic cover to do it.

The entitled white baby boomers should go down as "The Worst Generation"

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbles View Post
    Yup, if there's credit on my credit card - it must mean I'm not broke!! Borrow, borrow, borrow. Extend debt ceiling six months at a time.. Don't pass a budget for 3+ years. Keep kicking that can down the road.. We are spending $$ we don't have for this.

The markets are bullshit right now. Fed is pushing $85 million/month into this economy. Once QE ends we will see a correction.

Job #s are not increasing and overall wages are not increasing. Fewer are contributing to the tax basis. More are jumping on the dole for help (record #s on food stamps).

Yes, I am a fascist because I believe in fiscal responsibility and I don't need any more govt in my life.
    Holy shit you are stupid.

The markets are not "bullshit". People -- not just any people, but sophisticated investors, professionals, from around the world -- are eagerly buying US treasuries, thereby keeping borrowing rates low. This has nothing to do with QE and everything to do with the strength of the US economy.

Job #s are in fact increasing. Just where do you get your facts? The economy added 204,000 jobs in October.

Yes, there are a record number of people on food stamps, because of the Bush administration's catastrophic economic policies which led to market collapse in 2008, from which the economy is only slowly recovering. We should be thankful that the food stamp program exists, otherwise we'd be talking about record number of people starving to death.

Fiscal responsibility? Cut military spending. Stop invading countries. Stop imprisoning first time nonviolent offenders to life without parole. Stop corporate welfare. Stop agricultural welfare. Means-test for Medicare. Get rid of ridiculous tax loopholes that allow the Mitt Romneys of the world to pay absurdly low tax rates. Stop cutting taxes. The problem is, none of these things is on the Republican agenda: instead, the first thing they do is to try to dismantle the safety net. Look for solutions by penalizing the people who can afford it the least.

You are a fascist because you are blind to these facts and have bought the "blame the poor" bullshit the same way the germans bought the "blame the jews" bullshit 80 years ago. Everything old is new again.

Meanwhile, Obama has abandoned Obamacare today.

Way to be a leader, Mr President. What would FDR have done? You fucking spineless egghead piece of shit douchebag. Grow a pair and fucking lead the country you asswipe.

I predict a Republican congress in 2014 and beyond, and a republican president in 2016, because Obama fucked up implementation of the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT PART of the ACA and then caved to simple-minded political pressure in a panic. Way to go Obama, you've managed to set back everything you believe in by 20 years. Fuck you.

I guess we will have to see the final "rule," but agreed, this is fucking stupid beyond belief. They bought themselves a little distance from public pressure on the "you said I could keep my policy!" narrative in exchange for premium increases and actuarial chaos during the fall campaign next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    I guess we will have to see the final "rule," but agreed, this is fucking stupid beyond belief. They bought themselves a little distance from public pressure on the "you said I could keep my policy!" narrative in exchange for premium increases and actuarial chaos during the fall campaign next year.
    I agree that holding the line would have been the best course, but I don't think a one year extension will really have a significant effect on premiums. The population on these plans who actually elect to keep them rather than get better, cheaper plans is going to be pretty small (assuming the exchange website actually gets fixed and people can shop for new ones).

Right, almost none of this would matter if they could fix the damn website and allow the people with the cancelled plans to actually shop. That would be the optimal scenario going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthehorn View Post
    I don't think a one year extension will really have a significant effect on premiums. The population on this plans who actually elect to keep them rather than get better, cheaper plans is going to be pretty small
    I hope you are right and that I will look back in 6 months and laugh at myself for my overreaction. but my guess is (1) it will be a while before they fix the Sebelius fuckup on the exchange websites and (2) the impact of the 1 year extension will be more material than you think and (3) this is just the first crack in the dyke, and more is yet to come, ALL BECAUSE THEY FUCKED IT UP. THEY FUCKED IT UP. GOD DAMN IT THEY FUCKED IT UP.

Yeah. My heart sank this morning when I saw that he was caving to this bullshit. It's bullshit.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

November 14, 2013

Dear Insurance Commissioners,

Some individuals and small businesses with health insurance coverage have been notified
    by their health insurance issuers that their coverage will soon be terminated. We understand that,
    in some cases, the health insurance issuer is terminating or cancelling such coverage because it
    would not comply with certain market reforms that are scheduled to take effect for plan or policy
    years starting on or after January 1, 2014, such as the new modified community rating and
    essential health benefits package standards.1
    Although affected individuals and small businesses
    may access quality health insurance coverage through the new Health Insurance Marketplaces, in
    many cases with federal subsidies, some of them are finding that such coverage would be more
    expensive than their current coverage, and thus they may be dissuaded from immediately
    transitioning to such coverage.

In light of this circumstance, under the following transitional policy, health insurance
    issuers may choose to continue coverage that would otherwise be terminated or cancelled, and
    affected individuals and small businesses may choose to re-enroll in such coverage. Under this
    transitional policy, health insurance coverage in the individual or small group market that is
    renewed for a policy year starting between January 1, 2014, and October 1, 2014, and associated
    group health plans of small businesses, will not be considered to be out of compliance with the
    market reforms specified below under the conditions specified below.2
    We will consider the
    impact of this transitional policy in assessing whether to extend it beyond the specified
    timeframe.

The specified market reforms are the portions of the following provisions of the Public
    Health Service Act that are scheduled to take effect for plan or policy years starting on or after
    Health plans that are grandfathered pursuant to section 1251 of the Affordable Care Act and its implementing
    regulations are not subject to most market reforms. Because there is no need for transitional relief for such plans,
    the transitional relief afforded in this document is not applicable to grandfathered health plans.

The Department of Health and Human Services has conferred with the Departments of Labor and the Treasury
    with respect to those market reforms with respect to which there is shared jurisdiction. With respect to those market
    reforms, the Departments of Labor and the Treasury concur with the transitional relief afforded in this document.

January 1, 2014, and any corresponding portions of the Employee Retirement Income Security
    Act (ERISA) and the Internal Revenue Code (Code):

• Section 2701 (relating to fair health insurance premiums);
    • Section 2702 (relating to guaranteed availability of coverage);
    • Section 2703 (relating to guaranteed renewability of coverage);
    • Section 2704 (relating to the prohibition of pre-existing condition exclusions or
    other discrimination based on health status), with respect to adults, except with
    respect to group coverage;
    • Section 2705 (relating to the prohibition of discrimination against individual
    participants and beneficiaries based on health status), except with respect to group
    coverage;3

• Section 2706 (relating to non-discrimination in health care);
    • Section 2707 (relating to comprehensive health insurance coverage);
    • Section 2709, as codified at 42 U.S.C. § 300gg-8 (relating to coverage for
    individuals participating in approved clinical trials).

The specified conditions are the following:

• The coverage was in effect on October 1, 2013;4

• The health insurance issuer sends a notice to all individuals and small businesses
    that received a cancellation or termination notice with respect to the coverage, or
    sends a notice to all individuals and small businesses that would otherwise receive
    a cancellation or termination notice with respect to the coverage, that informs
    them of (1) any changes in the options that are available to them; (2) which of the
    specified market reforms would not be reflected in any coverage that continues;
    (3) their potential right to enroll in a qualified health plan offered through a
    Health Insurance Marketplace and possibly qualify for financial assistance; (4)
    how to access such coverage through a Marketplace; and (5) their right to enroll
    in health insurance coverage outside of a Marketplace that complies with the
    specified market reforms. Where individuals or small businesses have already
    received a cancellation or termination notice, the issuer must send this notice as
    soon as reasonably possible. Where individuals or small business would
    otherwise receive a cancellation or termination notice, the issuer must send this
    We note that sections 702 of ERISA and 9802 of the Code remain applicable to group health plans.

In light of this condition, the transitional relief afforded in this document is not applicable to newly obtained health
    insurance coverage. It applies only with respect to individuals and small businesses with coverage that was in effect
    on October 1, 2013; it does not apply with respect to individuals and small businesses that obtain new coverage after
    October 1, 2013.

notice by the time that it would otherwise send the cancellation or termination
    notice.

State agencies responsible for enforcing the specified market reforms are encouraged to
    adopt the same transitional policy with respect to this coverage.

Though this transitional policy was not anticipated by health insurance issuers when
    setting rates for 2014, the risk corridor program should help ameliorate unanticipated changes in
    premium revenue. We intend to explore ways to modify the risk corridor program final rules to
    provide additional assistance.

Sincerely,

/Signed, GC, November 14, 2013/

Gary Cohen
    Director
    Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight