Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Health Insurance

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Default Re: Health Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Just don't go to the doctors. I haven't been in 10+ years.
    have you been feeling your own balls at least?

You can put off having the fingers up your ass for many years, but nut cancer can grab you at any moment.

If you are covered by insurance and don't go to the doctor for a check up it's kind of a big fuck you to people who can't go.

Plus if you do get sick from something that was preventable then you're a drain on the system, you selfish prick.

25k? how long were you in the hospital for?

Hey Tom, since you are all smart and stuff, what are your thoughts on getting a secondary personal insurance plan on top of a work plan? My coverage sucks too, $2500 deductible and I only get 3 doctor visits a year under the copays, anything beyond that I have to pay in full until my deductible is met, I have already used my 3 visits so if anything happens it's all out of pocket. My bank offers a plan for a decent price but I don't know how coinsurance works. Would it make sense to carry double coverage or just hope I don't get sick in the next 9 months?

Also, $25k can happen quickly in the hospital. I was in for 4 days and mine was $30k+ because of all the unnecessary tests they ran. Luckily I was unemployed at the time and was able to quailify for state assistance. Whew.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

The ER bill for my husband's bicycle crash summer before last was nearly 23K. He was only in there for 3 1/2 hours, and that's because he insisted on leaving. CATscans and xrays and cleaning/bandaging his wounds are 23K??? Thank God all we had to cover was a $100 copay, but I still became involuntarily panicky and nauseous looking at the numbers on the "This is not a bill" letter.

We've had Kaiser for a long time (and this was a non-Kaiser hospital), so this was the first time in many years I'd actually seen an itemized statement. I was fucking stunned.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    have you been feeling your own balls at least?

You can put off having the fingers up your ass for many years, but nut cancer can grab you at any moment.

If you are covered by insurance and don't go to the doctor for a check up it's kind of a big fuck you to people who can't go.

Plus if you do get sick from something that was preventable then you're a drain on the system, you selfish prick.
    Don't worry, I do a balls check daily.

And no I'm not covered by insurance at the moment...my employer offers it of course, but I've just never filled out the proper paperwork for it and all that crap...it's on the list though.

Erik, take care of yourself, dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    Hey Tom, since you are all smart and stuff, what are your thoughts on getting a secondary personal insurance plan on top of a work plan? My coverage sucks too, $2500 deductible and I only get 3 doctor visits a year under the copays, anything beyond that I have to pay in full until my deductible is met, I have already used my 3 visits so if anything happens it's all out of pocket. My bank offers a plan for a decent price but I don't know how coinsurance works. Would it make sense to carry double coverage or just hope I don't get sick in the next 9 months?

Also, $25k can happen quickly in the hospital. I was in for 4 days and mine was $30k+ because of all the unnecessary tests they ran. Luckily I was unemployed at the time and was able to quailify for state assistance. Whew.
    you mean like a plan like AFLAC? don't. you're better off saving the money and using it to pay your medical bills.

and yes I am very aware of what hospital stays "cost", since that's sort of part of my job. I also know that billed charges are pretty much close to meaningless, nobody has to pay them. your insurer is paying maybe half the amount on the bill. Medicare, about the same. If yoiu're covered by Medicaid, it's materially less than that even.

Erik, dont be dumb. You should get some sort of insurance coverage for yourself asap. Even if you don't want the works, at least get some sort of emergency coverage for catastrophic events so that if you ever find yourself REALLY sick, at least you will minimize the burden on your family.

Erik is one reason the system is fucked up. Too many free riders like him not paying their way.

Don't a lot of employers have open enrollment for health insurance in the next few weeks? SIGN UP THEN, Erik.

DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO.

Actually, my company has bugged me a couple times about turning in the paperwork for it, it's all sitting on my desk..I just need to properly fill it out soon....truth is though, I really don't understand how a lot of it all works. and I'm not sure if the plan is even considered a "good plan" or not. I just imagine it as money I'll be throwing away every month because I don't see myself as someone who is gonna schedule regular doctor and dentist appointments for myself.

I'm going to break your leg next time I run into you.

clock is ticking.

I was in the same boat where I didn't wanna sign up for insurance through my work since I was being cheap and didn't wanna pay for it but finally I caved when they rolled out new plans with the new company. Thank god since I had to see a doctor only a few months afterwards, the routine checkup would've cost me over $500. Think my plan right now has a $300 deductible with 80% coverage and $2,000 max out-of-pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

I'm going to break your leg next time I run into you.

clock is ticking.
    Next time? I believe you're one of the only few "old school" board members I've never had the pleasure of running across...

YES THAT'S RIGHT. Jackstraw, I am coming to San Francisco on Nov. 11-12. Will you do me the pleasure of coming out for a drink? I've never met you either!

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Just don't go to the doctors. I haven't been in 10+ years.
    i'd be dead from cancer.

25k? how long were you in the hospital for?
    3 days

and yes I am very aware of what hospital stays "cost", since that's sort of part of my job. I also know that billed charges are pretty much close to meaningless, nobody has to pay them. your insurer is paying maybe half the amount on the bill. Medicare, about the same. If yoiu're covered by Medicaid, it's materially less than that even.
    yeah what's this about anyway? i looked online and saw my insurance only paid like a fifth of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    YES THAT'S RIGHT. Jackstraw, I am coming to San Francisco on Nov. 11-12. Will you do me the pleasure of coming out for a drink? I've never met you either!
    we'll see.

Let me know where you wind up. You should know that I'm just an alias of another board member though.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i'd be dead from cancer...
    So would I.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

we'll see.

Let me know where you wind up. You should know that I'm just an alias of another board member though.
    So aloof! (Just make sure to wear a jackstraw mask so I know which alias you are pretending to be.)

I pay $43/week for health insurance. I finally went to the doctor yesterday for the first time in 5 months so I have roughly paid $860 in that time for my insurance, my insurance covers nothing so my visit to the doctor & 3 prescriptions cost me $165 when in the past I would have only spent $50. I am feeling very bitter and angry towards my job today.

I know we won't have a decision until June, but most political pundits are saying that it's not looking good for Obamacare after todays arguments. I surprisingly agree with them. I'm all for mandating health insurance, but not at the federal level.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

We need more people in the pool to keep the costs down though. EVERYONE HAS HEALTH PROBLEMS AT SOME TIME IN THEIR LIVES. You have to be born in a hospital, right? Most people are, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Don't a lot of employers have open enrollment for health insurance in the next few weeks? SIGN UP THEN, Erik.
    I'm not sure if the plan is even considered a "good plan" or not. I just imagine it as money I'll be throwing away every month because I don't see myself as someone who is gonna schedule regular doctor and dentist appointments for myself.
    I pay $43/week for health insurance. I finally went to the doctor yesterday for the first time in 5 months so I have roughly paid $860 in that time for my insurance, my insurance covers nothing so my visit to the doctor & 3 prescriptions cost me $165 when in the past I would have only spent $50. I am feeling very bitter and angry towards my job today.
    I haven't had insurance since like....2003/4? Last time I had a company provided insurance(SBUX), I had my gf at the time covered also and it raped my biweekly paycheck. I had one emergency room visit (terrible strep) , that i paid my co-pay for. Insurance didn't even finish up the bill, until a year or two ago the hospital kept saying I own them 2 amounts, 1 for $120 and 1 for $200. I thought this is what insurance was for? You do co-pay, they pay rest end of story right? Also two bills for different amounts for the same thing was pretty shady.

It sucks that insurance is something you "need" but for when? We have no idea, you can keep putting a ton of money into this fund. Then you find out somethings wrong with you, then the insurance can't cover it because of this minor implication. It's absurd. People just want to live.

I'm all for a public system that doesn't require a heavy reach into one's pocket. Adding small % to city/state taxes would do a lot better in my mind in comparison to requiring EVERYONE to sign up somewhere and pay X amount. I could get in trouble for not having health insurance? Then drain my already strained income to pay for something that I will barely use? It's all quite flawed. Glad I found a lot of holistic cures for common ailments.

But you never know when you might need it. It can happen out of the blue. My boyfriend wasn't offered insurance through his work, never thought he would need it, he was barely 30, no illnesses, nothing. He over did it on some recreational drugs, passed out and hit his head on the cement, ended up with a brain bleed and was in the hospital for 2 days, had to have a CT scan and a bunch of other tests and was in the ICU. He is now $30,000 in debt. I would rather pay the $43/wk and $1000 copay if something happens than have a $30,000 bill hanging over my head for a night of stupidity.

Fuck, that shit sucks. I know how you feel. I really don't even go the hostpital, like ever. It would be nice if they had a pay-out option, but who am I kidding?
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

I agree, the system is seriously broke, I just don't know what could be done to fix it. Too many greedy bastards for there ever to be a real fix.

Run from the man, change your address.

I agree, the system is seriously broke, I just don't know what could be done to fix it. Too many greedy bastards for there ever to be a real fix.
    This is America.

I'm unclear on a so much of this.
    How would the government know whether or not someone has purchased Health Insurance?
    Would the penalty for not buying mandated insurance simply be cash?
    How does the cost of the penalty compare to the cost of the mandated insurance?
    Don’t the majority of those who choose not to buy Health Insurance have lower incomes, and thus under a mandate would receive large subsidies anyway?...And if that's the case, are their contributions to the pool that material enough to keep the costs down?
    If the mandate portion was found unconstitutional, how does that affect the rest of the bill?
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.