Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Health Insurance

Default Re: Health Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's not just unethical. It's illegal as hell. Are you claiming that certain for-profit publicly-traded behemoth health insurance companies are going to risk license forfeiture (and hence destroy shareholder value) by willfully and fraudulently disregarding a key provision of the ACA? That's a hell of a lot riskier than avoiding some guy with cancer.
    You sound surprised. These are for-profit companies that gain financially from the longest-running pyramid scheme in business history. There are sales executives who more than know what groups are profitable and which are not and don't leave paper trails for their rationale. Sure, each state has its own laws that govern and regulate the industry, but for many (most) of those laws, the insurance firms know their way around them (or how to work them to their favor).

But for the exchanges to truly succeed, medical costs need to be contained and eventually reduced (they are disproportionately and stupidly exorbitant). This is the original reason carriers stopped taking people with pre-existing conditions and implemented life-time benefit limits. They couldn't afford the medical bills! We could debate this all night, and I'm sure there's a Grisham thriller in all the unethical, illegal behavior of a publicly traded insurance agency in here somewhere, but I truly hope every American will finally get the health care coverage they need and take their own steps to stay healthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    "I'm a thief and a shitkicker, and I wanna be famous."
    - D. Davenport

Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    You sound surprised. These are for-profit companies that gain financially from the longest-running pyramid scheme in business history. There are sales executives who more than know what groups are profitable and which are not and don't leave paper trails for their rationale. Sure, each state has its own laws that govern and regulate the industry, but for many (most) of those laws, the insurance firms know their way around them (or how to work them to their favor).

But for the exchanges to truly succeed, medical costs need to be contained and eventually reduced (they are disproportionately and stupidly exorbitant). This is the original reason carriers stopped taking people with pre-existing conditions and implemented life-time benefit limits. They couldn't afford the medical bills! We could debate this all night, and I'm sure there's a Grisham thriller in all the unethical, illegal behavior of a publicly traded insurance agency in here somewhere, but I truly hope every American will finally get the health care coverage they need and take their own steps to stay healthy.
    Maybe you should read a summary of the basic provisions of Title I of the ACA, then we can continue this conversation.

This is the original reason carriers stopped taking people with pre-existing conditions and implemented life-time benefit limits.
    eh, not really. It has to do with adverse selection more than high medical costs.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Day 2. The Covered California website is still down. This time I tried their 800 number just to see if anyone could explain when the website would be functional. I got a message telling me to try my call again and that I was being disconnected.

Maybe you should read a summary of the basic provisions of Title I of the ACA, then we can continue this conversation.
    Reading is hard, Tom. You can't expect everyone to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Day 2. The Covered California website is still down. This time I tried their 800 number just to see if anyone could explain when the website would be functional. I got a message telling me to try my call again and that I was being disconnected.
    Your luck is terrible.

October 1 I was able to sign up on the website and complete an application.
    October 2 Website down, no online help, called and the number and the lady couldn't help all she could say was, "Shit's down, yo."
    October 3 Website back up, no online help, application I completed still there, called the number and they gave me address to send the documents I needed to submit become enrolled!

Waiting on something to fuck up but it looks like I'm good so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    you ever get this uneasy feeling that everyone of us on this board is actually in Hell?

Quote Originally Posted by Starraven View Post
    Your luck is terrible.

October 1 I was able to sign up on the website and complete an application.
    October 2 Website down, no online help, called and the number and the lady couldn't help all she could say was, "Shit's down, yo."
    October 3 Website back up, no online help, application I completed still there, called the number and they gave me address to send the documents I needed to submit become enrolled!

Waiting on something to fuck up but it looks like I'm good so far.
    The first day I was able to get 95% of the way through setting up my account. I had just submitted my security questions when I encountered my first server error. All of the errors I've encountered since have been when I tried to login.

I had a couple of errors but I just refreshed the page and waited. It took me about an hour and a half to complete something that should have been about 20 min.

They have a printable physical application that you can mail to them if you really want to. The woman that I spoke to on the phone yesterday was pretty lost. The one i spoke to today actually had information to tell me. I heard other state websites were completely crashed and down the whole time so I feel pretty good about what little they had up and working.

Paging Tom:

My work offers plan A. My wife's work offers plan B. Plan A has a lifetime max for a certain type of coverage. Year 1 we enroll in plan A because it is better. Year 2 we switch to plan B because it is better.

Question: if we ever switch back to A, does the 'lifetime max' apply retroactively to include expenses incurred in year 1? Or is it theoretically a different plan since it's our first consecutive year and Plan A incrementally changes from year to year?
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

I don't know the answer to your question,, but, I think it's moot anyway.

Effective Sept. 23, 2010, a group health plan may not establish any lifetime dollar limits on the value of Essential Health Benefits for any individual under the group health plan.

A group health plan may impose lifetime limits on the dollar value of specific covered benefits that are not "essential health benefits" to the extent that those limits are not otherwise prohibited under federal or state law.

Essential health benefits are pretty comprehensive and include pretty much all medically necessary services.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    Reading is hard, Tom. You can't expect everyone to do it.
    go shit in your chapeau.
    - D. Davenport

To those taking advantage of the ACA, please research a good doctor and get locked in as a patient as soon as you can. Like with Medicare and Medicaid, the best PCPs will stop accepting new Obamacare patients after they reach a certain quota.
    - D. Davenport

Any advice in the best ways to do this? I haven't had a doctor to call my own since I was 17. I've always gone to the ER.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

trial and error. every person has different needs. personally, i like seeing physician's assistants because they are really interested in helping you and it's easy to get appointments. as a woman, you spend more time at the OB/GYN anyway, the primary care for me is really just a person to call when i need FMLA paperwork or antibiotics.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

To those taking advantage of the ACA, please research a good doctor and get locked in as a patient as soon as you can. Not because of any alleged shortage of doctors, which is pure fiction dreamed up by right-wing tea party conspiracy theorists, but because having a relationship with a PCP is a key to good health. Yeah in your 20s it may seems silly, but as you get older you will be glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i like seeing physician's assistants because they are really interested in helping you and it's easy to get appointments
    this has been my experience as well.

I found my PCP by word-of-mouth from a friend of a friend after doctor hopping in LA for seven years. I am ultra picky so the fact I finally found a great primary care physician here is a miracle in of itself. I always check what medical school they graduated, what hospital system they have credentials (in LA it's Cedars or nothing) and if they have had any malpractice suits against them. All this information shouldn't be hard to find with the transparency laws. Good luck.
    - D. Davenport

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

aahahhahahahha

Tom, I am due to get insurance at my new company on 2/1/14. How much of a penalty will I receive if I don't purchase my own insurance for the month of January? If I purchase a personal insurance plan is it like company insurance where I have to wait a year before I can cancel it, if I don't get married, die or have a baby?
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

No you can drop coverage after a month. You just can't re-enroll til the following year though. Which, you know, you won't need to do if you keep your job.

What would the penalty be if I don't buy insurance though? Will it be less than a months coverage on whatever plan I find?

The penalty is 1% of income in 2014. If you're uninsured for a month, then it's 1% of that month's income. And that's only if your income exceeds a certain threshhold (basically, if health insurance costs more than 9.5% of your pay, it's considered 'unaffordable' and you would not owe a penalty).

But actually if you're enrolled by March 31 2014 there is no penalty at all for any part of the year. So I think you're going to be fine. Unless you need expensive medical care in January. Then you're fucked.

I am going to hope nothing bad happens before 2/1. I might wrap myself in bubble wrap, just to make sure.

I love Borowitz.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

So.......
    I can not tell you the number of people who have said to me, "I thought Obamacare was free! I thought I was going to have free health care through the [U.S.] government! You mean I have to PAY A PREMIUM???" etc. etc. etc.

Although I have not tried it myself, from what I'm reading here, it appears that getting insurance through California's on-line program is right up there with trying to buy tickets for Coachella. (That was a joke. Lighten'up.)

Just remember: Nothing is free. Somebody's gotta be paying for all those freeloaders in society and it will be you, Mrs. & Mrs. Middle Class--what's left of it.

...and if all you young whipper snappers don't sign-up for Obamacare, you know, the ones that probably, really are pretty healthy and really don't need insurance at this point in your lives anyway....well, if y'all don't sign-up the "numbers" won't add up and the whole thing will end up more expensive (for everyone else) than it already is...supply and demand, ya know. And don't forget the "fine" you'll pay for not having health insurance (via tax penalities).

Gotta love Obamacare.

And how many of you received letters from your insurance companies telling you that you're going to be dropped January 1st because the insurance company can not meet the criteria of Obamacare? Any of you folks get those letters from Kaiser California? So, what was that again about, "...if you like your current insurance carrier, if you like your current physician, no problem! You can keep them!"
    Ha.

Oh yeah. Doctors don't HAVE to take your insurance. Good luck finding a decent doctor that wants to deal with the whole Obamacare fiasco. It's hard enough to get doctors to accept Medicare/Medicaid and Medi-cal (California) nowadays. Go ahead. Talk to some doctors for their opinions of Obamacare. See how many are planning to retire early, or simply give up the profession.
    Last edited by RODGERRAMJET; 10-31-2013 at 11:42 AM.

::takes cover::
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by RODGERRAMJET View Post
    So.......
    I can not tell you the number of people who have said to me, "I thought Obamacare was free! I thought I was going to have free health care through the [U.S.] government! You mean I have to PAY A PREMIUM???" etc. etc. etc.

Although I have not tried it myself, from what I'm reading here, it appears that getting insurance through California's on-line program is right up there with trying to buy tickets for Coachella. (That was a joke. Lighten'up.)

Just remember: Nothing is free. Somebody's gotta be paying for all those freeloaders in society and it will be you, Mrs. & Mrs. Middle Class--what's left of it.

...and if all you young whipper snappers don't sign-up for Obamacare, you know, the ones that probably, really are pretty healthy and really don't need insurance at this point in your lives anyway....well, if y'all don't sign-up the "numbers" won't add up and the whole thing will end up more expensive (for everyone else) than it already is...supply and demand, ya know. And don't forget the "fine" you'll pay for not having health insurance (via tax penalities).

Gotta love Obamacare.

And how many of you received letters from your insurance companies telling you that you're going to be dropped January 1st because the insurance company can not meet the criteria of Obamacare? Any of you folks get those letters from Kaiser California? So, what was that again about, "...if you like your current insurance carrier, if you like your current physician, no problem! You can keep them!"
    Ha.

Oh yeah. Doctors don't HAVE to take your insurance. Good luck finding a decent doctor that wants to deal with the whole Obamacare fiasco. It's hard enough to get doctors to accept Medicare/Medicaid and Medi-cal (California) nowadays. Go ahead. Talk to some doctors for their opinions of Obamacare. See how many are planning to retire early, or simply give up the profession.
    I would like to take a brief informal poll of thread readers:

- should I go through this line by line and highlight the factual errors, logical inconsistencies, myths, and other propaganda his post includes? or

- should I just tell him to go fuck himself?

I'm all ears.

ummmmmmmmmm.....I vote #1 with a double helping of #2. In a format such as this:

GFY

if you're still reading, here is why you are stupid

Now really GFY
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    10/21 Superhumanoids - 10/23 IAMX@Glass House - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Beach Goth@Observatory - 10/26 IAMX@Complex - 10/27 Tycho/Com Truise@Glass House - 10/28 Bear Hands@Roxy - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda - 11/3 Galantis/Booka Shade@Mayan - 11/8 Digitalism@El Rey - 11/14 DFA1979@Regent - 11/15 The Presets@Regent

Both. Explain in full, but be sure to conclude with a hearty "Go fuck yourself."
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.