Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Health Insurance

Default Re: Health Insurance

I took money out of my HSA to buy some new shoes. System seems to be working just fine you whiners.

This whole thing is really depressing to me, mainly because it's one of the few issues I completely agree with the republicans on. This whole "mandate" to buy private insurance was dickless fallback strategy after Obama failed to push the public option through. The only reason congress even passed it was because the health insurance industry obviously approved of a bill that would require people to buy their shitty product, and did nothing to address the issues that make private health insurance such a ripoff in the first place. The sad thing is there was a lot of good measures in that bill that may fall by the wayside because of the mandate. Couldn't they have figured out a less intrusive way to sell the concept? Like offering tax incentives to people who have health insurance rather than penalizing those who don't?

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    This whole thing is really depressing to me, mainly because it's one of the few issues I completely agree with the republicans on. This whole "mandate" to buy private insurance was dickless fallback strategy after Obama failed to push the public option through. The only reason congress even passed it was because the health insurance industry obviously approved of a bill that would require people to buy their shitty product, and did nothing to address the issues that make private health insurance such a ripoff in the first place. The sad thing is there was a lot of good measures in that bill that may fall by the wayside because of the mandate. Couldn't they have figured out a less intrusive way to sell the concept? Like offering tax incentives to people who have health insurance rather than penalizing those who don't?
    There are so many factual errors in this paragraph. Let me see if I can address some of them.

1. The mandate is a completely separate issue from the public option. Even in versions of the bill that had a public option in it, the mandate was still there. The "dickless fallback strategy" you are thinking of is the CO-OPs, which are the government-funded, member-owned, nonprofit entities that are being created in lieu of the public option.

2. There are a lot of very good reasons in favor of the mandate. The main one involves adverse selection. Google it, you'll find a million articles, scholarly and otherwise, that talk about this. You might even find one or two written by me. Or, if you prefer: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-500395_1...rance-mandate/ for example. Note that 20 years ago the conservatives were touting the individual mandate as the magic solution for reform.

3. PPACA does lots of things to address private health insurance value and affordability. Minimum loss ratio requirements, rate increase review requirements, elimination of pre-existing condition exclusions, etc. Your statement that the bill "...did nothing to address the issues that make [it] such a ripoff..." is really not based in any sort of fact whatsoever.

4. They 'figured out' the least intrusive way to 'sell the concept'. The reverse approach (tax incentives) was considered and rejected because in order to fund it, it would have required a substantial tax increase across all income levels, and the democrats decided that just the act of healthcare reform was a big enough of a battle to fight without taking on tax code reform at the same time. (Same reason they didn't address malpractice reform, which they really should have).

You have been sold a bill of goods by the republican propagandists. You need to grasp the facts before forming your opinions.
    Last edited by TomAz; 03-27-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NachoCat View Post
    I took money out of my HSA to buy some new shoes. System seems to be working just fine you whiners.
    Tax fraud.

I spent an hour reading through the oral argument transcripts today. I really want to punch something. Mostly the Solicitor General for fucking up the Government's argument so badly. I still think Kennedy and Roberts may vote to save the mandate (and the Act as a whole), but it is going to be closer than I had ever imagined.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    I'm unclear on a so much of this.
    How would the government know whether or not someone has purchased Health Insurance?
    Would the penalty for not buying mandated insurance simply be cash?
    How does the cost of the penalty compare to the cost of the mandated insurance?
    Don’t the majority of those who choose not to buy Health Insurance have lower incomes, and thus under a mandate would receive large subsidies anyway?...And if that's the case, are their contributions to the pool that material enough to keep the costs down?
    If the mandate portion was found unconstitutional, how does that affect the rest of the bill?
    1. I think you would file proof of insurance with your tax return. No proof, you owe the penalty.

2. The penalty is a reduction of your tax refund.

3. The penalty is quite a bit less than the cost of insurance.

4. The mandate is intended to create an incentive mainly for those people whose incomes are above the subsidy level (which start at 138% FPL and grade out at 400% FPL). The subsidy will create a significant incientive for lower income workers and so the mandate is expected to have much less of an impact there.

5. Your last question is the hardest. The Court could (1) throw out only the mandate (2) throw out the mandate, plus the restrictions on pre-existing condition limitations and other barriers to coverage, under a 'severability' argument, which is what will be debated tomorrow (3) strike down the entire law. I think (3) is highly unlikely, myself.

If I have a good job with good benefits n
    And I pay for health insurance already( has been raising 10$ a month twice a year it seems)

How will this effect me if obamacare passes? Is there any way it will pass?

I'm a simple man (moron) so please help me here Tom. Tell me what I can bitch about and why.

Depends.

1. Does your employer have 50 or fewer employees?

If the answer is 'no', i.e., your employer has more than 50 employees, then the answer is 'almost no effect at all except for that coverage of dependents to age 26 part that no one is complaining about'. You're done, no need to look at question #2.

But if the answer is 'yes', then

2. Do you live in one of the states that has already mandated community rating and guaranteed issue in the small employer market, e.g., New York?

If the answer is 'yes', then you may see your insurance costs come down.

If the answer is 'no', then you may see your insurance costs rise substantially.

1. Yes
    2. California (remember, moron...try to use smaller words and direct questions)

Now please tell me who I can blame and why.

What can I do to fix this problem ?

You should be fine, you're fucked, blame Karl Rove and Kathleen Sebelius.

Lol whoever that is.

All I know is Keith Morris and Johnny Walker!! whewww!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    I still think Kennedy and Roberts may vote to save the mandate (and the Act as a whole), but it is going to be closer than I had ever imagined.
    Prior to today I would have agreed with you at this point though I think Kennedy is less likely to support it than Roberts and I would not be surprised at all if the mandate is deemed unconstitutional. I thought it would be close, but I expected it to be upheld now I'm starting to think that it will not be.
    The White Stripes 9/18

There are so many factual errors in this paragraph. Let me see if I can address some of them.

1. The mandate is a completely separate issue from the public option. Even in versions of the bill that had a public option in it, the mandate was still there. The "dickless fallback strategy" you are thinking of is the CO-OPs, which are the government-funded, member-owned, nonprofit entities that are being created in lieu of the public option.

2. There are a lot of very good reasons in favor of the mandate. The main one involves adverse selection. Google it, you'll find a million articles, scholarly and otherwise, that talk about this. You might even find one or two written by me. Or, if you prefer: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-500395_1...rance-mandate/ for example. Note that 20 years ago the conservatives were touting the individual mandate as the magic solution for reform.

3. PPACA does lots of things to address private health insurance value and affordability. Minimum loss ratio requirements, rate increase review requirements, elimination of pre-existing condition exclusions, etc. Your statement that the bill "...did nothing to address the issues that make [it] such a ripoff..." is really not based in any sort of fact whatsoever.

4. They 'figured out' the least intrusive way to 'sell the concept'. The reverse approach (tax incentives) was considered and rejected because in order to fund it, it would have required a substantial tax increase across all income levels, and the democrats decided that just the act of healthcare reform was a big enough of a battle to fight without taking on tax code reform at the same time. (Same reason they didn't address malpractice reform, which they really should have).

You have been sold a bill of goods by the republican propagandists. You need to grasp the facts before forming your opinions.
    Tom, you are clearly more informed than I am on this issue and I appreciate you trying to fill me in. My personal preference for health care reform would have been to implement sweeping universal healthcare based on increased tax revenue (your item #4), with an automatic refund coming to those individuals that already had private insurance of some form. Obviously that will never happen in this country. I'm currently un-insured and have recently looked into getting health insurance. The policies I was able to afford were basically a step down from life insurance, i.e. the deductible was so high I would practically have to kill myself for the insurance company to begin paying for anything. If I'm going to be forced to pay for such a policy it would be nice not to have to pay for all my doctor visits and prescriptions on top of the $1500+/year that entails. You indicate in item #3 that there is language in this bill that will address that. If you wouldn't mind elaborating, I would appreciate it. My own cynical suspicions lead me to believe that the increased customers will merely translate to more profits for the insurance companies, while deductibles and co-pays continue to climb. I do not listen to republican propagandists and my opinion is based largely on my belief that the interests of private insurance companies are at odds with their average customer, that it is impossible for them to truly help all their customers and profit in the manner they've grown accustomed to. If that is ignorant, so be it. I think the Obama administration really played into the Republicans' hands by allowing the debate to devolve into an argument about consumer choice and "products" instead of the fundamental human right that healthcare should be.

I eagerly await your bullet-pointed response pointing out further inaccuracies in my thinking and logic.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-500395_1...rance-mandate/

^^That's a great article, thanks for sharing. My next question, if you care to reply, regards the bit below:

Without an individual mandate, the health insurance market is likely to break down due to the adverse selection problem, but such a mandate can place a considerable burden on some households. Thus, while the individual mandate is necessary to make these markets work, it is also necessary to provide subsides to lower and middle class households who wouldn't be able to purchase the insurance without such help.
    Should the mandate pass:

1) Will there be subsides for low-income people/families?
    2) And will their be any kind of regulation of the costs of insurance once all young healthy people are back in the market, or are we just going to "let the market sort itself out?"

There are provisions in the law intended to address each point you make in both your posts. Whether they succeed or not, we'll see. I will address tomorrow in detail when I'm not typing on an iPad.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

1) Yes. Plus the definition of the "poverty level" for Medicaid coverage gets expanded to include more people.
    2) Yes, to the extent that statewide "exchanges" get set up which are (in theory) more transparent "marketplaces" for health insurance for those buying personal insurance to comparison shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

2. The penalty is a reduction of your tax refund.
    This is where I see the biggest problem of the federal mandate occurring and is probably the biggest reason I am against it. I don't foresee a problem in the collection or implementation of the penalty, but allocation of where that penalty money goes. If the system works perfectly it SHOULD go to the hospitals so that healthcare costs don't go up due to the people that still dont buy health insurance, but get healthcare, which is what happens with the current system. I havent read the law, but have not been able to find anyone talking about what the penalty money is going to be used for. When things are federally regulated, there is more beauracracy and less accountability for the spending of that money and as a result, more room for corruption and misappropriation of funds. Look what happened with social security.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Admittedly I'm in the dark on this more then I care to admit. I've got some homework to do. Bravo for all of you having thoughtful conversations, it's refreshing from all of the pissing and moaning on other parts of this board.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

If you wouldn't mind elaborating, I would appreciate it. My own cynical suspicions lead me to believe that the increased customers will merely translate to more profits for the insurance companies, while deductibles and co-pays continue to climb. I do not listen to republican propagandists and my opinion is based largely on my belief that the interests of private insurance companies are at odds with their average customer, that it is impossible for them to truly help all their customers and profit in the manner they've grown accustomed to. If that is ignorant, so be it. I think the Obama administration really played into the Republicans' hands by allowing the debate to devolve into an argument about consumer choice and "products" instead of the fundamental human right that healthcare should be.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-500395_1...rance-mandate/

Should the mandate pass:

1) Will there be subsides for low-income people/families?
    2) And will their be any kind of regulation of the costs of insurance once all young healthy people are back in the market, or are we just going to "let the market sort itself out?"
    Low-income: yes on two fronts. As MJA noted, eligibility for Medicaid will be greatly expanded beyond the sort of patchwork elgibility system in place now. Current Medicaid elgibility requirements are largely tied to other social programs such as TANF and SSI. Beginning in 2014, anyone with income <138% of FPL will be eligible, regardless of their family or disability status. This will add millions of people to the Medicaid program (and is one of the items being challenged before the Supreme Court this week, because Medicaid is a joint federal-state program -- the states run it and partially fund it, the feds provide matching dollars that vary by state depending on that state's relative poverty level -- and some states are objecting to the strain the expansion will put on their state budgets).

Second, PPACA calls for health insurance premium and cost sharing subsidies for individuals and families whose income is in the range of 138% to 400% of FPL. The subsidies are set based on formula (the average cost of the second-least-expensive Silver insurance plan on the Exchange in that state) and are intended to directly address the affordability issue. Recall that for most Amercians who get their health insurance at work, the employer generally subsidizes a large portion of the cost; this subsidy is intended to fill that role. The full subsidy is available at the lower end of that 138-400% range and then it grades down on a percentage basis.

2. Insurance premium rate regulation: yes in several different ways. As MJA noted there is this notion of the Exchange, with its standardized benefits etc (note also that the standardization of benefit levels will also check, to some extent, the increases in deductibles and copays you mentioned). The Exchange includes risk sharing mechanisms so that any one insurer won't get hit too hard with adverse selection; this is good because it should prevent the market from overpricing due to fear of unknown costs. There are minimum loss ratio requirements: insurers have to spend x% of premium on healthcare costs; if they spend less they have to refund premium to policyholders. (That portion of the law is already in effect and refunds are actually happening in some cases). There are rate increase review requirements: any premium rate increase greater than y% (y currently set to 10 by HHS) is subject to much closer actuarial scrutiny from both the state and the feds. Not sure how that part will play out in the long run, though.

Now, regulating health insurance premium rates is not the same thing as controlling healthcare costs. Much of ACA is not devoted to health insurance regulation at all (that's just Title I; there are 8 other Titles as well) but focus on things like Accountable Care Organizations and Electronic Medical Records that are intended to streamline the way healthcare is delivered in the US and eliminate waste and overutilization (e.g., repeating a medical test because the specialist you are seeing now doesn't know that you just had that test done two months ago by another doctor). Again, will these work? Can't tell yet. But these are bona fide attempts to bring costs in line.

Finally: tl;dr.
    Last edited by TomAz; 03-28-2012 at 07:20 AM.

Well said, Tom
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Tom, if so much of PPACA is devoted to bringing costs in-line, why does ACA itself cost so much?
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

This will add millions of people to the Medicaid program (and is one of the items being challenged before the Supreme Court this week, because Medicaid is a joint federal-state program -- the states run it and partially fund it, the feds provide matching dollars that vary by state depending on that state's relative poverty level -- and some states are objecting to the strain the expansion will put on their state budgets).
    That part of the oral argument is taking place right now. I am very interested to read the transcript. If the SCOTUS conservatives are actually buying into the state compulsion argument, we will know that they have completely gone off the rails into pre-1937 Tenth Amendment lala land. In some ways, it's the most important argument this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Wes, how much do you feel implementation of ACA costs?

Insurance doesn't cover shit anyways.
    I have like four life insurance policies I pay into....yet I feel like I will never die and I have no one that will be living that deserves the money.

I pay a grip for health insurance and it keeps raising...I'm healthy as fuck, I hate medicine, antibiotics, vaccinations, check ups ect. I feel like I will never get hurt or need insurance. I'm sure I'll break my leg after saying this.

I pay more and more taxes every year and they seem wasted too. I hate paying into a failing system. This stuff is all just too much for my little retard mind to grasp. It all seems retarded. If I am injured or sick and I need health care, I should be able to pay when there is a problem. That money should go to a doctor or clinic. The doctor or clinic should pay staff.

Insurance companies are just middlemen taking money for doing nothing. Just like our government. Doing a bunch of unnecessary shit and getting paid too much for it.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Tom, if so much of PPACA is devoted to bringing costs in-line, why does ACA itself cost so much?
    Most of the costs are the subsidies. That's a direct government payment ('handout', if you prefer) and you know how those get expensive real quick.

edit: correction: Most of the costs are the subsidies PLUS the Medicaid expansion. Both of which involve the government buying insurance for low income people, and so like any other 'entitlement' program, they get expensive.
    Last edited by TomAz; 03-28-2012 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Wes, how much do you feel implementation of ACA costs?
    Well, if the states have to increase funding for medicaid one could easily see a state raise taxes or cut spending usually the first on the first thing on the chopping block is education.
    The White Stripes 9/18

Need to stop handing shit out. The struggle for equality and democracy will be the downfall of our country.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    1) Yes. Plus the definition of the "poverty level" for Medicaid coverage gets expanded to include more people.
    2) Yes, to the extent that statewide "exchanges" get set up which are (in theory) more transparent "marketplaces" for health insurance for those buying personal insurance to comparison shop.
    Thank you sir.

Finally: tl;dr.
    Still with you, Tom. Thanks for taking the time to share all that. I've learned quite a bit more about this case in the last 24 hours. I'm pulling a Romney, and admitting that my position on the matter has evolved. Quickly. Still a lot of unknowns and hypotheticals that make me nervous but I guess it's hard to believe that the health care situation could get any worse in this country so why not try something new and radical. Hope the government's lawyer has a better day than he did yesterday.

There is much in PPACA that I would have done differently. I would have made the mandate stronger, and I would not have imposed the 3:1 age rating limit (this provision was AARP's price for support), and I don't think I would have allowed off-Exchange business. And it could be that (what I perceive to be) those flaws in the law could be its undoing. But, maybe not, too. And yes, it is a noble attempt at fixing a broken system.

FYI if you are really curious, google articles about the Dutch and Swiss health insurance systems. Much of what they're doing there is being mimicked in PPACA.