Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: turntable.fm

Default Re: turntable.fm

sames you seriously dont know ANYONE already on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Quote Originally Posted by MistaSparkle View Post
    I'm thinking of doing a bit of an experiment on my college radio show this Thursday, by creating a Turntable room and just broadcasting that music live. I need some DJs who I can trust to play songs that will fit the station's format ("progressive" - basically anything you wouldn't hear on standard radio stations) and that also don't violate the FCC's rules regarding obscenities and indecencies. Anyone interested in joining sometime between 9 and 11 PM EST tomorrow night?

illegal...

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    illegal...
    Yeah, I discovered this upon doing a bit more research. I mean, I never really thought the plan was completely legal, but I thought I could sort of get around that by not so much calling the show a re-broadcast of a turntable stream, but more of a people in turntable choose songs and I play them. And it also helps that no one listens to my show. Haha. Regardless, the whole idea was ill-fated from the beginning, so I've decided to drop the whole concept. Thanks for the help, though.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by sames44 View Post
    I want to check this out, but need an invite from the site or someone who is already in right?
    If you want we can facebook friends and that's all you need. When you log into turntable.fm with your facebook account it immediately identifies if another facebook friend is using it.

my FB friends are all completely lame and have no clue about anything music related. one of the venues I follow just added it last night so I'm finally in, yay

I'm pathetically excited to get some points this coming weekend....nights
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    If you want we can facebook friends and that's all you need. When you log into turntable.fm with your facebook account it immediately identifies if another facebook friend is using it.
    Mine doesn't work at work. This really upsets me.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    PLURcenta

That's pretty great news! I love the site and use it almost nightly.

That's pretty great news!
    I dunno, man... if the artists are going to get paid (which is good), HOW are they going to get paid? Subscriptions, ads, what. Hmmm.
    14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

Glad they finally made black avatars
    Hello my name is Johnny Polite and they are going to kill me...
    Concert Calendar:
    Burning Hotels 1.14 | The Kills 1.23 | Adam Ant 2.7 | Girls 3.9 | Dr. Dog 3.11 | Neon Indian 3.13 | Andrew Bird 3.15| Band of Skulls 3.17

twitter.com/thechris104
    youtube.com/thechris104
    granadatheater.com

http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/...fm-is-amazing/

July 20, 2011, 5:58 am
    Spotify Is Great, but Turntable.fm Is Amazing
    By SAM GROBART

Turntable.fm lets friends turn D.J.’s in the same virtual room together.Let’s get some obvious stuff out of the way:

1. Listening to music is fun.
    2. Listening to music with friends is more fun.
    3. Listening to music with friends, free, is the most fun.

The past week has contained a lot of discussion about Spotify, the new-to-the-United States free-music service that can stream almost any song to you, instantly.

Spotify is great. I’ve been using it for the past few days and love how I can try out new artists with no risk as well as call up old favorites that I never bothered to rip from my CDs or purchase online.

But Spotify is basically a more expansive iTunes, a better (and cheaper) Rhapsody. I get greater variety and lower costs, but the fundamental thing I’m doing — selecting music and playing it — hasn’t really changed.

There’s another service out there, also new, that has upended how I listen to music. In addition, it has changed how I think about social networks and what they are capable of. The service is called Turntable.fm, a free site that’s been up and running for about a month or so and is starting to get some attention.

Social Networks
    The way people connect digitally.
    Turntable.fm lets you play and listen to music with friends. That doesn’t sound like much, but once you’ve experienced real-time collaborative D.J.-ing with your pals, you will very likely find it as revelatory and delightful as I have.

Turntable.fm sets you up with an avatar, which can drop in on any of the hundreds of listening rooms users have set up on the site. You can also set up a listening room of your own. You can either passively listen to what other people are playing or, if there’s an open spot on the D.J. stage (up to five people can D.J. in one room), you can join in and add your own music to the mix. Tracks can be selected from Turntable’s vast catalog of music, or uploaded from your PC. You can like and dislike songs, post comments to the room and follow other D.J.’s whose sounds you like. If you have friends on Turntable.fm (it links into your Facebook account), you’ll see where they are when you log in.

So that’s how Turntable.fm works, but how you use it is another matter altogether.
    The way most people first use the site is by going in and out of rooms on their own. It’s a great way to discover new music. You go into a room with a genre that appeals to you and listen to what people are playing. It’s like, well, radio — but maybe a little more quirky and eccentric (definitely more quirky and eccentric than commercial radio).

If popping in and out of listening rooms were all there were to Turntable.fm, it would still be a great site. It solves the musical cul-de-sac problem that many people have: they listen only to the stuff they’ve downloaded. New music is hard to discover. Turntable’s listening rooms let you break out of that cycle and expose you to new acts.

But what takes Turntable from “great” to “amazing” is what happens when you start a listening room with friends, because it’s then that things start to get giddily satisfying.

It doesn’t matter if you start a room with some nearby cubicle mates or with friends scattered across the globe: what you begin to realize — almost instantly — is that taking turns playing music with friends is a kind of communication. One song leads to another. Music, enjoyable in and of itself, becomes a sort of shorthand when played among people who have shared memories attached to it. Someone plays a song that was popular when you were college, then another friend plays another song from that same period and — just like that — you’ve traveled back in time. It’s like you’re all sharing in the same inside joke.

And this feeling is reflected not just in the choice of songs, but in the comments that friends post. Someone digs a lost hit out of the crates and the message board lights up with comments from friends (O.K., my friends) saying things like “!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” and “my head is exploding.”

Using Turntable can even help you make friends with people you only know in passing. If you’re D.J.-ing in a room with co-workers, you may never have realized that you and the guy across the floor both like Afropop. Now you have something new to talk about at the soda machine.

Turntable.fm reveals another advantage music has: You can listen to it while you’re doing something else. Other forms of online interaction (chat sessions, video chat, gaming) require your full attention. And that’s great — if you have that attention to give. But if you’re D.J.-ing on Turntable.fm, you can stock your list with as many songs as you want and the site will play the next one when your turn comes up. Then you can go back to working, hanging out or doing whatever it may be while you are listening not just to your music, but your friends’ music as well.

Other music sites and services have tried to merge songs with social networks. Spotify allows you to share songs and playlists with others — you can even allow friends to modify shared playlists. But you are still listening on your own. Apple has social features on iTunes with ****, but that just lets you share information with other **** users in a static, asynchronous way.

Turntable.fm gives you a live, as-it’s-happening exchange that’s akin to having all your friends over for a party. When your old college roommate surprises you with that Deee-Lite song the two of you used to rock out to, you know it’s more than just music: it’s a message.

Responding to Heidi in the spotify thread,
    Yes, it's only as good as the DJ in the room but the idea is to socialize over the music. Talk to friends while playing music and then listening to what they have to play. It's been excellent for suggestions of new music and it's a hell of a lot of fun. In the rooms I have been in, people aren't just playing their favorite songs, the transition smoothly track to track. you also not only have access to their database but your catalog of songs on your hard drive. You can listen to internet radio or pandora all day but here it's about listening with people. It's also a lot of fun to be in a room and start coming up with different themes for the evening. I'm an instant fan, only complaint so far is the lack of support for internet explorer. I obviously don't mind about the forced link either. What bothers you about the link by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by Fourthisto View Post
    I dunno, man... if the artists are going to get paid (which is good), HOW are they going to get paid? Subscriptions, ads, what. Hmmm.
    The site has to pay something like half a penny per song played to ASCAP. We'll see how long it takes til ads come into play.

We'll also see what type of ads come into play. I'm assuming once they get out of beta we will see the big changes. It would suck if the ads were actual audio ads in between songs. I wouldn't be bothered by visual ads unless they were popups.

Yeah, good points, guys. I'd hate to see a good thing ruined, but it's fun enough that banner ads or whatever (non-excessive) won't kill the buzz for most people.
    14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

We'll also see what type of ads come into play. I'm assuming once they get out of beta we will see the big changes. It would suck if the ads were actual audio ads in between songs. I wouldn't be bothered by visual ads unless they were popups.
    There would be one way to get around the audio ad, and thats hitting mute. BUT, they could get smart and even unmute your volume when an ad comes on.....

Spotify already does that.... Ive noticed when I turned the volume all the way down, the ad stops....then i turn the volume back up and it resumes....kinda lame...
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Bomboclat View Post
    Sometimes you just reach that level where the only thing that makes sense is to get buck naked.

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    Spotify already does that.... Ive noticed when I turned the volume all the way down, the ad stops....then i turn the volume back up and it resumes....kinda lame...

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    There are programs that you can download that will do that for you automatically. But I sort of feel like if you care enough to download a program, you should probably just pony up and pay the money to get rid of the ads completely.

IMO, the concept of points is what will eventually kill turntable. People create these long lists of songs and then just leave the room and let the list play for hours so they can rack up points. The idea of one track flowing into the next is completely lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    IMO, the concept of points is what will eventually kill turntable. People create these long lists of songs and then just leave the room and let the list play for hours so they can rack up points. The idea of one track flowing into the next is completely lost.
    They seemed to have installed a fail safe to this already. I was dj ing one night, and I dozed off. Maybe an hour later I woke up and was just in the lobby on the site. I was the mod in the room, who could boot me? Looks like if you are inactive in any certain way, whether it be searching, upvoting, or downvoting, you will get booted automatically now.

Also, if you are in a room where they say that ''anything goes'' and you have a pretty good idea of what people will like, it wouldnt matter what kind of flow gets created .You pretty much just have to make sure whatever selections you have ready to play, dont get played.

That's good if they've installed a mechanism. I haven't been on in a while.

But I disagree that in an "anything goes" type room flow doesn't matter. There's still something to be said for carefully choosing a song which in some way works to follow the song before it -- even if it's a more obscure link of tempo, subject matter, nationality, or whatever and not music genre or mood.

Or you can just play dubstep and everyone upvotes.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Your lady's also in for drugs, right? Corinna's guy is in for murder and mine's in for a spree of home invasions. I think you're probably good.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I'm pretty sure Ronnie painted that on her, with his dick.