Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: turntable.fm

Default Re: turntable.fm

I see some social networking as fairly innocent, mostly based on how much data they can actually harvest from my interactions. I take a few stands (twitter and similar networks mostly). I actually feel more uneasy about last.fm than most anything else, yet I'm still using it. For now.

Well, it's kind of like anthropologists and sociologists breaking their ethical contracts to give the government information so that they can take advantage of some little Afghanistan town that the social scientists were studying.

I think the big problem is that somebody is trying to use information with malicious intentions. If we try to avoid the people that gather information, we'll be avoiding so many things. What we should worry about is stopping the people that try to take advantage of that information so that they could do these bad things.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

twitter is a strange stand to take if you use facebook (given both company track records and feature sets)...

gotta crash. sorry for hijacking the thread, i've been working with some folks as of late that are entrenched in this stuff and it has my hackles up.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    i do. and i'm not saying that no one should use social media at all (I actually no longer visit last.fm's site anymore for the record, I just cull my own scrobbles using their API so that I have an archive of what I've listened to... if I was a bit less lazy I would create my own script to do this.). i use twitter extensively despite these misgivings. just that people should be wary about jumping on the bandwagon for every new incarnation that pops out there... if for anything else, because that if the company goes under quickly all that data is going to be sold to the highest bidder. while it might not seem like a big deal now, it's not a stretch to imagine it becoming one in the very very near future.

if you think this doesn't happen you are wrong. just take a look at all the web-filtering software that is used on every school computer in the country. many of those companies sell every fucking keystroke and visited URL (entered in by kids) to the slimiest data miners around whose least offensive crime is using that information to try and make your kids nag you. maybe it sounds like paranoia or conspiracy shit, but that creeps me the fuck out.

for once i actually agree with you on something. i try to never use any facebook apps, but nowadays more and more cool web apps are making their services facebook only. nothing pisses me off more than when i want to go watch some streaming video, or use some web based service that makes me use facebook to log in just to use it. this basically forces me give them full access to all the info tied to my facebook profile, which is a scary amount of data when you think about it...your email, entire network of friends/family/coworkers, pictures, likes, etc...creeps me out as well.

usually i just dont sign up for any facebook apps, but it sucks when something really useful or fun comes along. this time i actually gave in.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    What we should worry about is stopping the people that try to take advantage of that information so that they could do these bad things.
    Yeah. Well, with limited liability good luck with that.

Well, maybe I won't stop them, but I'm not going to hide from cool things out of fear of them either.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

aww, now you are being all cynical after suggesting that the same government that "regulates" wall street, should regulate this. come on... oh yeah, hackles.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    they can harvest all of that... and every click you make, or don't make
    They can even tell what I don't click on? Does this mean I'll stop getting spam for Dick enlargement and tranny granny websites?

Quote Originally Posted by Sexecutioner View Post
    usually i just dont sign up for any facebook apps, but it sucks when something really useful or fun comes along. this time i actually gave in.
    Hah, yea, that's approximately my stance.

Look, I've been actively putting information out there on the net since the early 90's. I've learned first hand, many times, that there is absolutely no notion of privacy. It occurred to me very early on that anything you say or do that could be captured or converted digitally is likely to be shared with the world.

You can make an effort to be completely impersonal and anonymous in terms of your usage (and will fail), or you can relax your paranoia a bit and just exercise a small amount of caution before you hit the enter key each time. I guess I have a set of filters that have to be passed before I'll allow a piece of information online... is it already public knowledge? is it something that could already be found online? does it present any possible risk to me / my family / my job / my future circumstances? does it imply something about me that is illegal or could damage my reputation?

...Don't we all do this? I'd like to think that those of you who are young enough that, for example, can't remember a time without the WWW, do this automatically.

It's not to say that I never put information out about myself. Quite the opposite. But I'm guarded about some information which may seem weird to others and open with information that may seem even weirder. For example, there are a lot of social networks where I'll list my employer. Some of my friends think this is nuts. Well, if you already have my real name, most of the google results plainly state who I work for. Since the analytics are already possible, I might as well take advantage of social networking for career networking.

Anyway, enough of the rant. FWIW, I was really put off that they forced a FB login, I refuse to use most apps that do that, and on the occasions I do, usually end up removing them after my enchantment wears off a few days later...

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    Anyway, enough of the rant. FWIW, I was really put off that they forced a FB login, I refuse to use most apps that do that, and on the occasions I do, usually end up removing them after my enchantment wears off a few days later...
    A minor detail but still shady is recently I discovered that some websites and blogs can track if you copy and post their articles onto your Facebook wall without using any of the sharing buttons on their site. I discovered this the other day while visiting Stereogum while I was logged into Facebook, and a box on the right hand corner showed a few links shared on my FB profile in the past. It wasn't even that I had used Stereogum's Facebook share tool, either -- I simply copied and pasted the URL under the Status Update area under my own doing. I felt it was pretty messed up.

Yup. I am aware of that. My company does these things you're complaining of. (Er, I mean we take advantage of information harvesting services that these tools and other companies provide).

no free decks, but... http://turntable.fm/indier_than_thou

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Can someone tell me what this is in a nutshell?

Tinychat but instead of webcams you pick a song and everyone listens to it.

How do I get in?

Click the goldenvoice link and sign in with Facebook, it should work.

I'm supposed to 'like' this, right?

no liking, just doing. it doesn't post to your wall, but it does send e-mails. haven't quite figured out how to change that yet though... but yea been in the goldenvoice and indie/alt rock rooms mainly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomboclat View Post
    Sometimes you just reach that level where the only thing that makes sense is to get buck naked.

http://turntable.fm/office_gold

Me and Tessa coming into your ears.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

chris is disgusting. i'm still in there and there's a deck open if someone wants to hop on!

It bumped me and now I can't get it to load.

Can someone invite me? (if that's how it works). Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Wheels Of Cheese

It never streams any audio for me, must be because I'm on an iPad...
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

My chat doesn't work. Quite a buggy site still.
    Last edited by cutterbutter; 06-17-2011 at 03:58 PM.

Does anybody want to play?
    http://turntable.fm/friday_fun2

anyone playing today?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    PLURcenta

I finally got on. Anybody wanna do something?
    To Supre:
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Isn't there some awful hardcore band you should be listening to?

http://turntable.fm/post_rock_new_pr...t_experimental cutter and i are chillin in here right now. kylie, i'm usually in Office Gold all day long at work, just fyi.