Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: turntable.fm

Default Re: turntable.fm

Quote Originally Posted by TommyboyUNM View Post
    You guys are silly. I'd rather listen to my own shitty music.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Yeah i realized quickly that when i'm on the computer i'd rather just play my own stuff to myself
    sometimes i get sick of my own music and like to hear other people's choices...
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I'm totally not suggesting that it's a bad service or that anybody else shouldn't use it...it's just that for me I typically have such a huge queue of music I want/need to listen to that I'm always wanting to explore it at my own pace.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

I'm totally not suggesting that it's a bad service or that anybody else shouldn't use it.
    I'm suggesting this.

PLEASE HELP downvote skrillex.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    PLURcenta

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

#RatchetHour in my room http://turntable.fm/nt

Thanks Kylie for posting this the other night. all my friends are on it now
    It almost makes you think you might actually want to know what you are talking about before you tell people things.

love it

heres mine

http://turntable.fm/boogie420

Hello my name is Johnny Polite and they are going to kill me...
    Concert Calendar:
    Burning Hotels 1.14 | The Kills 1.23 | Adam Ant 2.7 | Girls 3.9 | Dr. Dog 3.11 | Neon Indian 3.13 | Andrew Bird 3.15| Band of Skulls 3.17

twitter.com/thechris104
    youtube.com/thechris104
    granadatheater.com

http://turntable.fm/office_gold

there's one more deck left!

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Can someone please PM their facebook so I can get in this? Will edit this when I get one.
    Last edited by citizenerased; 06-15-2011 at 03:45 PM.

i've spent most of the day in here: http://turntable.fm/electronic_snobs_unite

Snerk. Isn't that basically what the goldenvoice 'room' was?

This might be of interest to some of you unemployed new yorkers on here:

Hello and welcome to the turntable beta!

I wanted to send this to everyone a bit earlier, but we've been really busy scaling our service to support everyone. Every day it gets more stable. Thanks for your patience as we work through these issues.

To everyone who has sent us feedback with ideas, suggestions, and bugs -- thank you. We read every single one, but there's a lot so we might not respond to them all. However, they are an invaluable resource of information so keep 'em coming!

We have a lot of exciting features on our roadmap, so expect to see new things getting rolled out over the next few weeks. Our biggest request right now are for multiple queues and tracking what you awesome. We are already logging everything you awesome, so you'll see them soon.

We're a tiny team and definitely could use some help in a big way. If you're interested in joining us, please e-mail jobs@turntable.fm. We're looking for awesome developers (and designers too). You can see the jobs available further down.

Finally, these mass e-mails won't be coming often. If you'd like to know what we're up to daily, service outages, feature updates, etc… follow us on twitter @turntablefm

Thanks!

Billy Chasen
    (chilly on turntable)
    @billychasen

You can change your e-mail preferences if you'd like to not receive these types of e-mails again at http://turntable.fm/settings

jobs @ turntable:

All jobs are in NYC, so please only apply if you live here or are willing to relocate. E-mail jobs@turntable.fm

Backend Developer
    We are looking for a senior and experienced python dev who has some war wounds from scaling services. Experience with the majority of our stack is also needed.

Frontend Developer
    Our entire frontend is javascript and we're looking for someone that loves javascript, knows jQuery and can help us crank out some awesome UI

Designer
    Help us create our next avatars and other customizations that are coming to turntable. if you apply for this, please send a link to your portfolio (no attachments). Animation experience a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Anyone want to play? www.turntable.fm/coachella
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    PLURcenta

the culmination of all social media at this point is trading users haphazard validation in exchange for an exorbitant amount of behavioral data. lucky for Rapleaf and their cohort that people are in constant search of that (elusive) nugget of social affirmation.

turntable.fm made a really fun chat room for my friends and I today. None of us were looking for social affirmation. We just thought it was cool that we could play music to each other while we chatted about things (like dog barf, our old professors, and what we planned for the weekend). If Facebook and companies are tracking the music I like to personalize their advertisements, let them. I'm being bombarded by advertisements by everything in this country anyway, so it doesn't make any difference to me if they are more tailored to my likings - the only thing that matters is that there is only $80 in my bank account and that I probably already own the thing they want me to buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

advertisements are the least of our worries... so is tracking the music played on the website... if you think that's all that is being harvested or utilized you are underestimating what even the most amateur social media companies are capable of. it's becoming less and less about that dollar you think you are or aren't willing to spend.

Are they harvesting the dog barf conversation? What will they use that for?
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

You should stop being so cryptic. Not just because it's obnoxious, which you could probably care less about, but your point would be much more convincing. What the fuck are you implying?

they can harvest all of that... and every click you make, or don't make, on the website... and how that's tied to the music currently being played... the number of positive affirmations in circulation for that track... all of this may seem inconsequential in terms of the micro transactions you are a part of at any given moment... but it all amounts to sophisticated behavioral mapping...

sure our ability to implement this data is far behind our ability to gather it... but there are several goldmines waiting out there for companies that pioneer this field further (see rapleaf).

Oh, Jesus. You know what, I'm now very much for turntable.fm. Keep up the haphazard validation, folks.

i mean... the technology is already to the point that it's extraordinarily easy to take these behavioral profiles and match them across sites... and that's without username, ip address, cookies, or the like.

with that, it's not hard to imagine some very timely implications of that sort of technology. (imagine if facebook et al cooperated with oppressive states who wanted this data about insurgents... or whistleblowers for that matter...)

Don't you use last.fm?

Well, it's a good thing I don't use turntable.fm without my tinfoil hat.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    Don't you use last.fm?
    i do. and i'm not saying that no one should use social media at all (I actually no longer visit last.fm's site anymore for the record, I just cull my own scrobbles using their API so that I have an archive of what I've listened to... if I was a bit less lazy I would create my own script to do this.). i use twitter extensively despite these misgivings. just that people should be wary about jumping on the bandwagon for every new incarnation that pops out there... if for anything else, because that if the company goes under quickly all that data is going to be sold to the highest bidder. while it might not seem like a big deal now, it's not a stretch to imagine it becoming one in the very very near future.

if you think this doesn't happen you are wrong. just take a look at all the web-filtering software that is used on every school computer in the country. many of those companies sell every fucking keystroke and visited URL (entered in by kids) to the slimiest data miners around whose least offensive crime is using that information to try and make your kids nag you. maybe it sounds like paranoia or conspiracy shit, but that creeps me the fuck out.
    Last edited by wmgaretjax; 06-15-2011 at 09:19 PM.

If Mitt Romney's Mormonian Security Force come to arrest me for playing a Charles Manson song and making fun of his campaign in this future dystopia, I'll be long gone anyway, living the life of revolutionary road warrior.

I don't really care that companies are collecting trending on the music I listen to or give feedback on. What's the downside? Someone wakes up and realizes they could be making more money off of us by promoting good music?

it's not just about what music you are listening to... in fact, that's probably the least valuable thing you offer to the equation.

same reason really smart people got riled up about the smartgrids stuff... the concern isn't whirlpool wanting to sell you a new washing machine... it's about every third party possible having information about your aggregate behavior.

yeah, i actually hate social media. the way business can capitalize is nasty, but i find what it does to people, and the impact it has on culture, even worse.

i feel like this when i think like that:

Last edited by BlackSwan; 06-15-2011 at 09:30 PM.

so leave behind the hyperbolic stuff and think about it from a strictly economic point of view. if a prospective value can be assigned to every online transaction just for you... algorithmically you could create a discriminatory payscale tied directly to the most you are willing to pay for every given transaction...

with net neutrality seriously threatened, it's another way for you to pay absurd premiums to monopolized utilities.

edit: totally agree... and what's worse, that awful behavior is the most beneficial to behavioral models... so it's perpetuated in the worst way inherently in UX design. and there is no denying some awesome things its done for social interaction and culture as well... but we need to regulate this... whether via government or self-regulation. i guarantee you all would still be able to solicit all the things you find beneficial about social media if regulations were in place to limit the types of private data and tracking being extracted.
    Last edited by wmgaretjax; 06-15-2011 at 09:33 PM.