Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trust Me, I'm A Doctor.

Hybrid View

Default Trust Me, I'm A Doctor.

Earlier this year, I decided that it was time for me to dive into this series. I started with the 2006 reboot of the show and quickly sped through them. I am completely in love with this show and it amazes me that I am still surprised and enthralled each season. Even when I think I won't like a new Doctor, which happens every time they regenerate-- they grow on me.

For those of you that don't know about the show. It's basically a sci-fi show about a Time Lord that is the last of his kind and travels through space and time to sort of correct things. He always travels with a companion whom is usually an attractive female. Sometimes, he travels with more than one companion. It's the longest running sci-fi show and the most successful of all time based on it's overall broadcast ratings.

My favorite Doctor overall was David Tennant, but I love the personality of Christopher Eccleston version of the Doctor. It took me quite a while to warm up to Matt Smith, but now I think he does a fantastic job at it.

I haven't watched any of the classic Doctor Who episodes and would love to get my hands on them.

I know a handful of you watch this series and I want to be able to discuss this show with you all. So, who were some of your favorite adversaries? What do you think of the latest season?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    PLURcenta

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Default Re: Trust Me, I'm A Doctor.

I actually just watched the mid-season finale...nuts.

Matt Smith is alright. Christopher Eccleston got the character the best, but David Tennant was deffffffffff the most appealing. I lovelovelove Karen Gillan as the current companion.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

I did pretty much the same thing as you, except I started with Blink and then went back through the others. Absolutely love it. Smith is very easily my favorite doctor, but there's a lot to love about Eccleston and Tennant (and I'm more than a little sad that Eccleston only did one series, he could have done a lot more with his portrayal if he gave it more time.).

I've watched a couple of the classic series stories, and they're really good too. It definitely helps that a ton of them are on Netflix. I'd recommend checking out The Mind Robber (it's on Netflix instant), it's a fantastic one from 1968 with Patrick Troughton as the Second Doctor.

On this current series, I thought the mid series finale was a tiny bit overhyped for what it gave us, but I still enjoyed it. The Doctor's Wife is possibly my favorite episode of the whole series, up there with Amy's Choice and the Human Nature two parter

I just finished it, too. I think there were so many signs pointing to the conclusion they gave us, but I never put it together. It was crazy. This season had a few of my all time favorite episodes like "The Doctor's Wife", which I thought was fantastic. Neil Gammon did a tremendous job writing that one and Suranne Jones did a fantastic job at playing the TARDIS.
    PLURcenta

Blink is one of my favorites, too. The weeping angels are one of my favorite adversaries. Though, I don't like how in "The Time of Angels", the angels could actually kill you. There was definitely some continuity issues there.

Human Nature was the two part with the Family of Blood right. Mother, Father, Brother, Sister. I loved those episodes, too.

I think my love for the mid season finale was from all the old characters coming back and the confidence the doctor had. It was great to see him rise so high. I also loved the Colonel Run Away bit. Hilarious. I love when he gets mean!
    PLURcenta

old school

My anthropology prof made a reference to this show in one of my courses. "We won't be able to find out for sure unless someone captures a time lord."

The latest companion is my favorite, which pains me to say because I LOVE Billie Piper.

And, interesting fact. Karen Gillan actually played a Soothsayer in "The Fires of Pompeii".
    PLURcenta

Quote Originally Posted by thecapsulettes View Post
    The latest companion is my favorite, which pains me to say because I LOVE Billie Piper.
    This. I adore Billie Piper so much, but damn I love redheads. I also really like the River Song character, and I'm so glad they made her the major part of the story arc this season.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I'm new to the show as well, and I've also gotten my nine-year old daughter into it as well. I started with the first Matt Smith series, then watched the Eccleston episodes and some of the Tennant ones as well. (Thank you, Netflix Instant!)

I've enjoyed everything about the Matt Smith era much more than the others. The stories are more interesting to me and feel as though they have (in general) a greater emotional depth.

I found Billie Piper's Rose to be more irritating than compelling, and her mother even more so. Karen Gillan (and her character, Amy Pond) are terrific, and I've also enjoyed Arthur Darvill's Rory. It certainly doesn't hurt that Gillan is so lovely.

Tennant was quite good in the role, though I prefer Smith by a considerable margin. Perhaps it was because he was my first. I also thought Eccleston was okay, though I couldn't stand his styling. I know some of that is down to the fact that it was filmed several years ago and styles change, but I still found it a little distracting.

My favorite episodes thus far have been Vincent and the Doctor, The Lodger and A Christmas Carol, though I'm just now beginning to watch the second Smith series and I think it's also terrific.

I'm definitely hooked.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

I think a lot of preference comes from where you start watching.
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

I don't know about the "first Doctor" preference. I started watching with Nine (Eccleston) back in 2005/6 and while I was intrigued enough to keep watching, it wasn't until Ten (Tennant) got into his groove that I actually fell in love with the show (I thought Ten was really irritating for the first couple of episodes). Eleven had me from go but he's much more prickly than Ten, so the two of them occupy my top spot.

Of the classic Doctors I've only seen episodes with Four (Tom Baker).

I'm not really a fan, but I just wanted to say that I have this on vinyl...

There's a bunch from different eras on Netflix Instant, so I'm planning on dropping in and seeing as many of the prior Doctors as I can manage. All of the Eccleston episodes are also on there as are (I believe) the lion's share of all the episodes and various specials Tennant did.

Netflix actually goes from the 2005 reboot all the way through season 5.

And yeah all the Christmas specials and singles are on there (unless they've been removed in the past few months?).

I had to download the Matt Smith Christmas special. I hadn't looked for any others yet, though in my (admittedly limited) research, I noticed a few Tennant special episodes (Planet of the Dead, for example) that are only available from Netflix on DVD.

Ah, they've taken them down then.

Great idea making this thread btw, Kylie. Not many people seemed to respond when I talked about the doctor in the general tv show thread, so I didn't know there was enough interest.

It wasn't that there isn't enough interest in the show. People just don't like you
    Your lady's also in for drugs, right? Corinna's guy is in for murder and mine's in for a spree of home invasions. I think you're probably good.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I'm pretty sure Ronnie painted that on her, with his dick.

Well, there's that.

I've talked about it with a handful of people. I thought it'd be great to have a thread, though because I don't know many people that watch the show. It's one if my favorites. September is too far away.
    PLURcenta

Good news for fans of Matt Smith.
    He has been commissioned for fourteen new episodes.
    I was curious to hear this because there had been rumors that he was interested in moving on to movies after this season.
    PLURcenta

So counting the remainder of Series 6, that makes at least 21 more. That's good news, indeed.

My favorite episode was the one where he went to Glastonbury and performed with Orbital during their Dr. Who finale. GREAT episode from last season.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rasooli View Post
    My favorite episode was the one where he went to Glastonbury and performed with Orbital during their Dr. Who finale. GREAT episode from last season.
    they put that in an episode??

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    they put that in an episode??
    Hahaha.
    PLURcenta

Okay. Once I am done marathoning through The Wire (middle of season 5), this will be my new thing.
    Anyone care to point me in the general direction of what/where I should start watching? Link to a DVD box set maybe? I do have netflix...

EDIT: Seriously though, hold my hand when explaining, I honestly haven't a single idea about anything about this show or the series or when it started etc etc. I only know the couple commercials I saw (looked great) and this thread. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

Just start at the 2005 reboot with Christopher Eccleston and work your way through.

It's all on Netflix from the 2005 Christopher Eccleston Doctor up to the last Matt Smith season I believe. Just start there.

Doctor Who began in 1963 and ran until 1989 with a total of 26 seasons. It then came back in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston and is currently in the middle of it's 6th season. A good chunk of the original Doctor Who episodes are lost or are hard to find, so the best place to start would be the 2005 reboot as both Corinna and Amy suggested.

I think it does a fantastic job of explaining what The Doctor is and what he does. I like the way they introduce Rose and The Doctor to the audience.
    PLURcenta