View Poll Results: How many lineup differences?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll

5 3.85%
  • 1-5

39 30.00%
  • 6-10

32 24.62%
  • 11-15

22 16.92%
  • 16-25

3 2.31%
  • over 25

6 4.62%
  • this is stupid don't make any more polls

23 17.69%

Thread: How many differences will there be between the lineups each weekend?

Default How many differences will there be between the lineups each weekend?

From The Hollywood Reporter: Tollett stopped short of saying the two lineups would be exactly the same. "That's what we're attempting,"' he said. "We'll replicate the same poster for both."

With that, how many differences will there be between the lineups each weekend?

For example, so-and-so is playing weekend 1, but not weekend 2 - and vice versa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

its called space, dude-and we're goin there

Default Re: How many differences will there be between the lineups each weekend?

3/2 Sasha // Big Gigantic
    3/8 STS9, Cherub
    3/19 Eric Clapton
    3/21 EOTO, Govinda
    3/29 Eskmo
    4/4-4/6 Lotus @ Boulder Theater, CO
    4/8 Sigur Ros
    4/12 Gramatik
    4/15 Morrissey
    4/19 Umphrey's McGee // The M Machine
    4/20 Dirty Phonics
    5/2 Alk3
    5/10 Bonobo
    5/31 Lucky Date
    6/3 Postal Service
    6/13-6/16 Bonnaroo

Default Re: How many differences will there be between the lineups each weekend?

I'm sure there will be a handful of differences but it'll all be at the sub-sub-sub-sub-sub headliner level

I expect there to be 90% overlap.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

old school

I'm worried if they'd be tempted to intentionally add a decent name only to weekend #2.

I voted 6-10
    Just a couple of small acts on the bottom of the poster will be different

Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar

16-25, but I'm not very optimistic. Either way I agree that only the small bands and maybe one or two bigger names will be different. And that will be enough for most boardies to spend 800 bucks instead of 400!
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Quote Originally Posted by psycobetabuckdown View Post
    16-25, but I'm not very optimistic. Either way I agree that only the small bands and maybe one or two bigger names will be different. And that will be enough for most boardies to spend 800 bucks instead of 400!
    It's not just a matter of the lineup differences, by going to both you can make up for conflicts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timestretch View Post
    Plus 11 dollars is a lot for Mexicans.
    Quote Originally Posted by edbangme View Post
    Swedish House Mafia: two djs and a guy who speaks english
    Quote Originally Posted by bananahambone View Post
    I guess it's like me going to some Al Queda site and being like "Hey guys. don't ask me how I know, but Bin Laden isn't really dead" And all those terrorist dudes would be like "Hey fuck head, Daft Punk is still not playing Coachella"

Quote Originally Posted by Bus McRider View Post
    It's not just a matter of the lineup differences, by going to both you can make up for conflicts.
    For the people that have to travel to get there, staying for both weekends isn't very realistic without considerable funds and vacation time off work.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

David Bowie, Kate Bush and Scott Walker can only make weekend 2 (aka groundhogchella), according to my friend at Capitol Records.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

No biggie. David Bowie tribute band can play weekend 1.

Is it really worth it to spend double what you normally would have (in time and money) just to resolve conflicts? Does the average attendee really have that many conflicts?
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    Is it really worth it to spend double what you normally would have (in time and money) just to resolve conflicts? Does the average attendee really have that many conflicts?
    It is to resolve conflicts AND go to two coachellas.

If I had the option, I would've this year.

Plus maybe the Chems could've played a full fucking set that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timestretch View Post
    Plus 11 dollars is a lot for Mexicans.
    Quote Originally Posted by edbangme View Post
    Swedish House Mafia: two djs and a guy who speaks english
    Quote Originally Posted by bananahambone View Post
    I guess it's like me going to some Al Queda site and being like "Hey guys. don't ask me how I know, but Bin Laden isn't really dead" And all those terrorist dudes would be like "Hey fuck head, Daft Punk is still not playing Coachella"

It is to resolve conflicts AND go to two coachellas.

If I had the option, I would've this year.

Plus maybe the Chems could've played a full fucking set that way.
    You're not going to two Coachellas though - you're going to the same one twice.

But yes, I can definitely see one band getting screwed with technical delays on one weekend, and having a cake walk on the other weekend. And I can also foresee endless bitching on the board.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

Endless bitching on the board is a given; that has nothing to do with two Coachellas.

And I would argue that yes, someone looking to resolve conflicts and check out different bands can reasonably say they are going to two Coachellas.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

I wonder if they'll clean the portapotties in between weekends, or leave them 'as is'.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

One of the outhouses ("Honey Pots" as they call 'em) at Sasquatch this year was so full it reached the rim, and someone balanced an empty on top of the shit pile. I lol'd but failed to take a picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Ravingmad View Post
    I'm sure there will be a handful of differences but it'll all be at the sub-sub-sub-sub-sub headliner level
    You say that as if it won't matter...

I think of how NYPC had to cancel in 08 cause they couldn't afford to come over for the festival. I'm sure there are a lot of bands out there with no real presence in the states who take a loss to come over for one weekend because "it's Coachella". Even with double the paycheck, those costs are going to increase if they were to stay for another week. Some of these bands may be able to find gigs in between, but paying absolute shit on account of the lack of awareness that the US has of them.

And I suspect the bands that it will affect will be ones we'd find fourth line and below. I don't know about you, but that's where a lot of the bands I get the most excited about fall. Hell, this year's winning act for me, Trentemoller, was all the way down in small print on the 6th line. (Although giving his tour this year, probably would have worked out regardless... but if he had no intentions to tour I could see it having been a huge deal)

It makes me think that we're either going to end up with a fairly varied undercard... or we're going to just lose a lot of the "fringe" in an effort to make the lineups identical...

Quote Originally Posted by spiggums View Post
    I think of how NYPC had to cancel in 08 cause they couldn't afford to come over for the festival. I'm sure there are a lot of bands out there with no real presence in the states who take a loss to come over for one weekend because "it's Coachella". Even with double the paycheck, those costs are going to increase if they were to stay for another week. Some of these bands may be able to find gigs in between, but paying absolute shit on account of the lack of awareness that the US has of them.
    Bands from off continent aren't gonna have to fly over twice to play at Twochella. Yes, it's extra cost to find support for the inbetween days but I would think double (or near double) the payout is going to make up for that if their main issue before was crossing an ocean.

Also just the fact that a band is going to play Coachella puts them on the radar of some folks. Yes, many of these people go to Coachella and won't necessarily want to see them again but some of them will and plenty of people - even with Twochella - will still opt for picking from the great run of local shows due to touring patterns.
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 06-07-2011 at 07:32 PM.

Twochella is going to be best for the giants/headliners what aren't necessarily bothering with a tour and regional artists that can easily go home to LA/SD/PHX/LV for the inbetween week.

It will also be alright for artists that are able to book local gigs and/or are happy to take a week off of touring. I have no idea how many of the latter there are but I doubt it is significant.

And yeah, despite what I said it will be tougher on the smaller bands. At least everybody has a lot of time to plan.

By differences, I included bands that can play for instance on Friday of W1, but only available on Sunday of W2...
    Class of 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 W2, 2013 W1 & 2014 W2

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    How can some1 still 100 dollars from a broke single mom!!!!! WTF!! People r so getto!! I wouldint do that to some1 I hate

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I wonder if they'll clean the portapotties in between weekends, or leave them 'as is'.
    ewww
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    the best songs are the ones that dont remind you of anyone in particular yet still give you that utter euphoric contentedness of perfection in your mind, body and soul. keep them close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    A bag of doritos > RHCP > getting kicked in the balls > Mumford & Sons > skinned alive > Macklemore
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottb View Post
    Ohh god, you guys are so fucking sensitive. Yes there is potential to get laid at Coachella if you camp or are willing to have sex against the fences by the Sahara.